POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 20

Demonland

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It was a tough crowd if you were there. I couldn't believe the amount of whinging going on when we were 70-80 pts up!

Just a human psychology thing I reckon - the bar went through the roof in the first quarter and was completely unreachable after that.  Everyone was ready for the next thrill which didn't come. Almost like a come-down/withdrawals.  Hopefully most can see the reality now that the emotion has passed!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

It was a tough crowd if you were there. I couldn't believe the amount of whinging going on when we were 70-80 pts up!

It's a double edged sword, Doc.

On one hand, you can understand supporters having high expectations.  We expect them to have it, so I guess we should have them as well.

However, it's not long ago that we would enjoy any win that we could get our hands on as they were so few and far between.  Why supporters are so quick to forget that, and therefore not enjoy a 16 goal flogging like they should, is baffling to say the least.

I know it was against poor opposition, but 16 goals is 16 goals.  I'd enjoy every minute of it.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

On one hand, you can understand supporters having high expectations.  We expect them to have it, so I guess we should have them as well.

However, it's not long ago that we would enjoy any win that we could get our hands on as they were so few and far between.  Why supporters are so quick to forget that, and therefore not enjoy a 16 goal flogging like they should, is baffling to say the least.

I know it was against poor opposition, but 16 goals is 16 goals.  I'd enjoy every minute of it.

I did wiseblood.every single minute.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

I would remind them of 5 years ago when we gave them their first win at the G ever (by 10 goals no less).

Lowlights included:

* Neeld citing 'attempted tackles' as a measure of improvement.

* Also saying we were outmuscled by their mids (many of whom were still teenagers at the time).

* 13k turning up to the ground 

* Russel Howcroft nearly starting a riot when telling the coterie that if they didn't like things, they could always run for the board (just after PJ managed to placate them somewhat).

* Colin Sylvia having a brain fade and trying to emulate Plugger Lockett's forearm smash on Peter Caven.

That was seriously the lowest I have felt as a supporter. The club had the stench of death on it.

If people had a reason to whinge, it was then. Have some bloody perspective.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

40 minutes ago, Dirts said:

I have some concerns about Franklin. He will fire as will the rest of the swans. We need to get on top from the go and smash them. No silly stuff. Win next week and you can book the first round of final tickets, lose and we may be in the same boat but with points.

Buddy had a night on the town. Moore went off and a noobie had the job...poor bvgger. Buddy got a sniff then went ape.

I actually don't think he'll be afforded that largesse. He'll have a big crack no doubt.  You need to starve him of service.

We have a game ahead...just saying

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Fans are hungry. They haven’t tasted much blood in  the past decade.

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Just a human psychology thing I reckon - the bar went through the roof in the first quarter and was completely unreachable after that.  Everyone was ready for the next thrill which didn't come. Almost like a come-down/withdrawals.  Hopefully most can see the reality now that the emotion has passed!

Chasing the dragon.

20 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

I don't think I've disagreed with a post more than I have with this one.

Well done.

Out of interest, I can understand you disagreeing with 2 of the points, probably the 2nd and 5th ones but I find it hard to believe you disagree with the other points. I think everyone, even the most optimistic, like yourself,  could acknowledge these.

10 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

If nothing else, it shows how far our expectations have lifted. After years of being a terrible team (and probably club) its great that we have improved so much that some expect more, even with such a huge margin.

I get where they are coming from, but personally im wrapt with today's result.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, old dee said:

23072 in attendance who was nearest the pin?

Not the club that is for sure  .. we might pick up 100k as per the arrangement with the MCC Trust but that would be it.

There is a reason why we sell off games to the NT for $800k per game.  The AFL gift us up to 7 home games per season against interstate teams so the selling off of games becomes mandatory. 

You've got to balance the books.

• Like 4

My first win for the year, most enjoyable (my MFCSS had me thinking that the dees losing was my fault for attending).

Clarry is something else - his kick to Spargo was sublime, a couple of minutes later q1 at CHF he took a high ball in the air and ripped out a hand pass 0.5 seconds later whilst still airborne to create a goal - breathtaking.

Joel Smith did some nice things, it was a shame to see him injured. There were a couple of times JKH needed to go and didn’t, his card is marked in my book. Ball into D50 in the 3rd qtr springs to mind that just hit the deck in between 3 defensive dees. It was Jays to cover.

love Jeffy back in the side, he’s switched on at the moment, unpredictable and looks really dangerous.

And loved Trac’s contested game today, he’s going to be key to the rest of our year.

Its easy to see how we could have won that game by 25 goals, but a satisfying shellacking nonetheless. ?

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

nah ... we lost to them in our usual last game failure ... Roos' last game etc etc.

Next three weeks will tell us a lot about this football club.

Sorry, i meant round 23 2016....we lost by 111.

So slightly less than 2 years ago...

Edited by Wadda We Sing
  • Like 1

The win was great there’s surely no-one who can complain with the result. I’m not going to be a flag bearer for the people who seem to love attacking people for being critical but really we got what we needed out of that game. I hold my team to high standards but the sting was taken out of the game slightly, I even laughed out loud when Maxy scrubbed that kick inside 50.

I know we should strive for excellence but temper your expectations and keep a good balance. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Deemania since 56 said:

Great game and always, it is fantastic to have a win - and one so convincing as this game against the Suns. However, we must all wish Joel a complete, speedy recovery from a 'dangerous tackle' slinging him to the ground. His game, today, was the best he has played for the MFC with some great intercepts and running pick-ups, good disposals and coverage of his opponents. Well done - best wishes with the recovery.

Absolute disgrace if the GC Suns player does not get cited for that. And landed with all his body weight on him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1