It's silly there isn't 3rd and even 4th year club options for 1st and 2nd round draft picks, but it's still nice to sign them up. Gives the guys some financial security and locks in their price for 2020. That should come in handy now that the focus turns to some big deals for the McDonald's, Brayshaw, Harmes and Jetta.

• Like 2

Very nice start to the week.

Cant believe how good Fritsch has been, he would have to have the best left foot in the comp.

Spargo has been super impressive as well.

• Like 2

The building blocks of future success are being stacked.

One, after another, after another.

Well done to all concerned, players, managers and MFC.  

Both last year's signings and this, is like watching the makings of a group ready to create their own history.

How sweet it is to feel the sun again, after being so many years in the darkness.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hot as Hell said:

How sweet it is to feel the sun again, after being so many years in the darkness.

18 quarters in a row sweet      loving it   Go Dees

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveyDee said:

Great news, our player development & welfare has come a long , long way under our current structure- very good to see the young kids backing the system/s 

Oh, that is good news indeed. Great to hear of other clubs having success. The competition is strongest when all the clubs are strong, not just the Demons.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great to lock away all these youngsters. Just need Brayshaw to re-sign and join Oliver, Hogan, Petracca, etc. 

Fritsch and Spargo have had great debut seasons thus far. They've both shown attributes that suggest they could have long successful careers in red and blue. 

This also shows how highly the club rates Petty, re-signing him despite not playing a senior game. By all accounts he's developing nicely down at Casey and could become a player with time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mazer Rackham said:

Oh, that is good news indeed. Great to hear of other clubs having success. The competition is strongest when all the clubs are strong, not just the Demons.

Not sure if you are being serious- the road to equalisation is all clubs having the money to develop and support all players to reach their maximum potential - for me this has been PJ biggest achievement at the MFC. However, easier  said than done in a 18 team competition- even harder to get the point across to one-eyed supporters in one team forum. I support equalisation for ALL clubs. 

9 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Great to lock away all these youngsters. Just need Brayshaw to re-sign and join Oliver, Hogan, Petracca, etc. 

Fritsch and Spargo have had great debut seasons thus far. They've both shown attributes that suggest they could have long successful careers in red and blue. 

This also shows how highly the club rates Petty, re-signing him despite not playing a senior game. By all accounts he's developing nicely down at Casey and could become a player with time.

I have it from reasonably good authority within the club that all senior players have made a pledge between themselves to see things through. After a premiership (okay, I can dream) all bets are off. I will be shocked if any senior, off contract player leaves.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm still neither here not there with first year players extending their initial contracts.

Don't get me wrong. Of course it's better than them walking out on us but realistically, their options are limited as they haven't established a body of work that they could potentially sell to a rival suitor.

When Jack Viney re-signed and Hulk as well, I was stoked. Clearly Gus and Tommy Mc are the next dominoes we need to fall. Those type of signings are probably worth getting more excited about.

59 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I'm still neither here not there with first year players extending their initial contracts.

Don't get me wrong. Of course it's better than them walking out on us but realistically, their options are limited as they haven't established a body of work that they could potentially sell to a rival suitor.

When Jack Viney re-signed and Hulk as well, I was stoked. Clearly Gus and Tommy Mc are the next dominoes we need to fall. Those type of signings are probably worth getting more excited about.

I think you've got to assume that the list managers know what they're doing. I doubt these 3 signings would jeopardise the signing of the remaining big 3 in terms of cap or dollars to spend. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I think you've got to assume that the list managers know what they're doing. I doubt these 3 signings would jeopardise the signing of the remaining big 3 in terms of cap or dollars to spend. 

I'm not so worried about the salary cap per se. I think sometimes these things are dressed up as PR exercises to show how attractive the club is as a destination. The truth is that there have been no real rival bids for these boys yet (which is fully understandable). When Lever and Hibbo signed on, that was definitely more of a sign that there is confidence in our direction.

Probably my gripe is more with the messaging, though on a scale of 1 to 10 of major problems, it's about a 2. It could also be argued that the PR department isn't doing their job of communicating with stakeholders if they weren't doing this.

11 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I'm not so worried about the salary cap per se. I think sometimes these things are dressed up as PR exercises to show how attractive the club is as a destination. The truth is that there have been no real rival bids for these boys yet (which is fully understandable). When Lever and Hibbo signed on, that was definitely more of a sign that there is confidence in our direction.

Probably my gripe is more with the messaging, though on a scale of 1 to 10 of major problems, it's about a 2. It could also be argued that the PR department isn't doing their job of communicating with stakeholders if they weren't doing this.

I'm not sure it is a PR exercise. I think they take the opportunity to make it a PR exercise by parading the signatures around on social media (which I don't mind). I have confidence in the list managers that this is an exercise to sure these guys away now so they can concentrate on the guys coming out contract in 2019. Sometimes moves on a chess board don't seem important but are building to something else bigger.

16 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

The only thing I take out of it is that it's good to know we don't have to worry about their contracts for a few years yet.  It's a good sign that they want to sign on for another year, but also great reward for what they are already doing at the club.  I didn't expect Fritsch and Spargo to both have the positive impact they've had, so an extra year on their contract is fair reward for that.  Petty is a key position player with promise so it's great to get him signed up for a little longer as well.

14 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I'm not sure it is a PR exercise. I think they take the opportunity to make it a PR exercise by parading the signatures around on social media (which I don't mind). I have confidence in the list managers that this is an exercise to sure these guys away now so they can concentrate on the guys coming out contract in 2019. Sometimes moves on a chess board don't seem important but are building to something else bigger.

I know the signings aren't. I think that these boys are being signed for logical reasons that have yet to play out.

It's what you said about how it's plastered across our social media channels as you said that gets to me a bit. I'm not everyone but I would prefer if the messaging about the significance of the signings was put in perspective.

21 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

I know the signings aren't. I think that these boys are being signed for logical reasons that have yet to play out.

It's what you said about how it's plastered across our social media channels as you said that gets to me a bit. I'm not everyone but I would prefer if the messaging about the significance of the signings was put in perspective.

In this day and age LIKES are everything. 

Join the digital revolution. ?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Demonland said:

In this day and age LIKES are everything. 

Join the digital revolution. ?

Hehehe.

I knew there was a reason I got rid of my social media. ;)