Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 8

Demonland

On 5/9/2018 at 9:18 AM, Deemania since 56 said:

Against the Suns, Garlett ought to be given another run, even from the bench.

I'd rather see Oskar Baker get a go;,,,,  than garlett.  The way garlett's been attacking the games this season.

3 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

What’s the opposite of running over the coach’s dog??  Whatever it is, ANB has done it.

working hard, running hard, sacrificial running, spread options, etc.

same as Harmes, I think.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Hunt butchers the ball more than anyone. 

Hunt has to improve his composure and lower the eyes, more often.  He has to improve his short kicking greatly. And use some more handball, give and go's.

And make more tackles, chase downs.

And not enough midfield marks, for his ability.

HAS to work smarter_____   not so much harder/faster,,, just got to learn.

Edited by DV8
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DV8 said:

Hunt has to improve his composure and lower the eyes, more often.  He has to improve his short kicking greatly. And use some more handball, give and go's.

And make more tackles, chase downs.

And not enough midfield marks, for his ability.

HAS to work smarter_____   not so much harder/faster,,, just got to learn.

His chase down tackles were good last weekend.

He is not a natural footballer, he is an athlete turned footballer.

In my opinion he needs to work hard from this point on or he could well be left behind.

His skills are second rate, his kicking shocking. It’s no good having dash if you just throw it on the boot and turn it over.

Youre right, lower the eyes, gain composure and start hitting targets. 

Bloke kicked one goal with a torp from 65 and appears to think torps are “his thing” ever since.

Develop a decent, reliable kick and the ability to side step and I think he’s away..

• Like 1

I think if you are looking at reasons ANB keeps his spot he played on the Saints Captain Geary last week who didn't have a big influence on the game.

Geary is a good player.

I think Harbrow, Aaron Hall and Ah Chee are good players who are named in the Suns back six. I haven't watched the Suns this year much but I know they have got a lot of rebound from Harbrow in the past so ANB may be marked to be the defensive forward on him? I think if you want to get a positive read on ANB look to see what his opponent does on Saturday.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

ANB and Harmes are not in our best 22 

Hunt and Garlett are!!

2 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Not at the moment. 

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Not talking at the moment come finals what would you prefer??

I would prefer the guy who does exactly what is asked of him, and a bit extra ... and that seems to be what ANB and Harmes are doing, at the moment.

Presumably Hunt and Jeffy are not.

We here don’t actually know what role the coach and the match committee ask of each player.    

I suspect that given the distances quoted as ANB’s running, that he has been asked to run a lot .... maybe run to offer an option, decoy style at times, and / or the pressure an opponent into an error, even if a stat such as a tackle is not recorded.

IMVHO Hunt and Jeff probably have higher overall ceilings, but aren’t doing their roles as requested. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, deeko said:

Very surprised as most with ANB getting another gig. From what I saw, his “pressure acts” are performed after he fumbles and turns the pill over to his opponent.

He really has battled this year and I really thought a spell in the twos would have helped him regain his confidence. He’s looking a shadow of his late last season self. I have faith in him but he really needs a freshen up imo

Hunt hasn’t offered much more but at least he’s improved over the last two games and offers a massive point of difference in that he offers pace.

Happy they are sticking with the Weed. Just have to keep him playing now

Agreed.  After being a bit of a critic of his selection at times, I think Weid is starting to show a bit more competence and confidence at the top level, which is encouraging.  No doubt having T Mac back helps too, as Weid would now be getting more of the 3rd best tall defender and/or a shorter opponent to match up against.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, monoccular said:

I would prefer the guy who does exactly what is asked of him, and a bit extra ... and that seems to be what ANB and Harmes are doing, at the moment.

Presumably Hunt and Jeffy are not.

We here don’t actually know what role the coach and the match committee ask of each player.    

I suspect that given the distances quoted as ANB’s running, that he has been asked to run a lot .... maybe run to offer an option, decoy style at times, and / or the pressure an opponent into an error, even if a stat such as a tackle is not recorded.

IMVHO Hunt and Jeff probably have higher overall ceilings, but aren’t doing their roles as requested. 

+ ANB isn't playing to his attacking potential at the moment either.  If he can find a way to win more ball and use it better (like he was last year) within/in-addition to his present role, then watch out opposition, because ANB could do some serious damage also.

32 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Doesn't matter who we prefer, it's who Goodwin prefers

I'd laugh if Hannan get dropped before ANB. Demonland will go into meltdown.

ANB deserves his spot. A half back replacing a half back was a no brainer.

ANB along with Hannan and Weid are on the fringe and will need to work their asses off to stay in the side on Saturday. 

Viney is waiting.

4 hours ago, McQueen said:

ANB survives again.

Salem for Hunt.

B: Michael Hibberd, Oscar McDonald, Neville Jetta
HB: Angus Brayshaw, Jake Lever, Bernie Vince
? Jordan Lewis, Nathan Jones, Christian Salem
HF: James Harmes, Jesse Hogan, Jake Melksham
F: Sam Weideman, Tom McDonald, Christian Petracca
Foll: Max Gawn, Dom Tyson, Clayton Oliver
I/C: Charlie Spargo, Mitch Hannan, Alex Neal-Bullen, Bayley Fritsch

Emg: Jayden Hunt, Jeff Garlett, Tim Smith, Josh Wagner

In: Salem
Out: Hunt

No life?

( ...yes, I know, I'm on here too. Pot meet kettle).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DV8 said:

same as Harmes, I think.

That may be true, but balance that against:

65% disposal efficiency

6 1%ers for the season (OMac has 52)

2 tackles per game

2 inside 50s per game

0.7 goals per game

3 goals assists for the whole season.

That’s underwhelming for a half forward who’s not been playing a defensive role.  I’m a fan, but he’s massively out of form.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WERRIDEE said:

I'd laugh if Hannan get dropped before ANB. Demonland will go into meltdown.

ANB deserves his spot. A half back replacing a half back was a no brainer.

ANB along with Hannan and Weid are on the fringe and will need to work their asses off to stay in the side on Saturday. 

Viney is waiting.

Watching at the ground, I thought Hannan contributed very little last week, but upon watching the replay, I noticed he did do a few things, but wasn't great.  Has the potential to stand up and be a real match winner on his good outings though and made a pretty handy contribution Vs the Bombers, so worth persisting with.  He seemed hopelessly out of position (too far behind to impact) when playing deep forward last week, but did do some reasonable link up stuff further up the ground.

• Like 2

Skimmed through the thread so apologies if mentioned, but apparently they said Hunt was sick on the footy show, which may have lead to the omission, I don’t think he was that bad at all last week. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Beetle said:

His chase down tackles were good last weekend.

He is not a natural footballer, he is an athlete turned footballer.

In my opinion he needs to work hard from this point on or he could well be left behind.

His skills are second rate, his kicking shocking. It’s no good having dash if you just throw it on the boot and turn it over.

Youre right, lower the eyes, gain composure and start hitting targets. 

Bloke kicked one goal with a torp from 65 and appears to think torps are “his thing” ever since.

Develop a decent, reliable kick and the ability to side step and I think he’s away..

He was good last year, but we are now a different team. We've changes a lot in a short time.

we have picked up players in quick succession.

Hunt has a strong future but may need time to learn how to play better smarter.

IF the game opens up further with less rotations, next year;  he will be even more dangerous and better for us after that.

3 minutes ago, Deestroy All said:

Skimmed through the thread so apologies if mentioned, but apparently they said Hunt was sick on the footy show, which may have lead to the omission, I don’t think he was that bad at all last week. 

There has to be more to the Hunt omission.   I thought he was OK last week. 

8 minutes ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

That may be true, but balance that against:

65% disposal efficiency

6 1%ers for the season (OMac has 52)

2 tackles per game

2 inside 50s per game

0.7 goals per game

3 goals assists for the whole season.

That’s underwhelming for a half forward who’s not been playing a defensive role.  I’m a fan, but he’s massively out of form.

Most of the team has been out of form this season; but we are still in good shape on the ladder, right in touch with things.

And we are still re-grouping our players, from injuries and form.

• Like 2

It’s ANB’s fumbling that’s the biggest issue for me. He’s fumbled under any sort of pressure plenty of times in every game. Where a clean take would’ve had us moving on every occasion. Very costly. He’s not big and strong enough to bully the ball back once he [censored] up. 

Then he roves the pack like Eddie Betts and kicks a checkside goal with 5 minutes to go like it’s nothing. A touch more of that would be handy. 

I blame myself for predicting he’d be top 5 b’n’f this year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, DubDee said:

I’ve heard that Jeff has a bit to do to regain favour with the coach. Will take a good game or two at casey

10 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Jeff’s in the best - when he’s in the mood.

No problems with either of this.  I think that it's great that we presently have some what of an abundance of quality small forwards/goal sneaks (Freitch, Hannan, Spargo, Kent, Gartlet) that we can play those in form and send those not in such great form/output back down to the twos for a few weeks to get them selves right.

Jeff has kicked 40 goals in a season multiple times as a player both for as and Carlton, and his forward half pressure/run down tackles are pretty dam good, so there's no doubt he has a place in the side when he's right.  But he does have the tendency aluded to by Cook man of going missing for blocks of games during the season.  It probably better that he goes back to the VFL to find some confidence and hunger during these periods, as I'd recon playing poorly at senior level for several weeks would be as confidence sapping for Jeffy as it is damaging for the team missing the output from a player of his capability and tallents, though it's probably also true that even when his output is down, he is probably still drawing one of the opposition's best small defenders (so long as they are not hurting us the other way).

8 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Doesn't matter who we prefer, it's who Goodwin prefers

Not just Goodwin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DV8 said:

s as Harmes, I think.

Harmes is an inside mid field tackling animal with a bit of outside run / spread.  ANB a running / chasing link up outside medium forward who plays through the mid a little who doesnt finish particularly well and is prone to at least one brain snap (on average) per match.

Harmes currently in our best 22.  ANB a fair way off in current form or lack of plus ongoing brain fades.

Viney to replace ANB against the Blues with Harnes / Viney resting / rotating forward to cover ANB's role.

ANB emergency depth at best.