Jump to content

  • Podcast:     

  • Podcast:     

Christian Petracca declares his loyalty (2018)



Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, adonski said:

You over estimate Collingwood. You don't lose Stepho, Treloar & Phillips for effectively nothing unless you bring in a big fish that same year. 

Not how it works mate. Clubs work a fair way out with their key targets, they don't just randomly pop up in trade week and go 'oh hey we wanna trade for Petracca...'

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How this for timing - I literally just opened my four year old son’s new membership pack. On the front of his membership card, it has a photo of Petracca. He’s Henry’s favourite player - Henry th

Was searching for a new avatar and stumbled on a pic of the greatest moment in Nathan Buckleys life.     

Posted Images

I’m of the mind it all comes down to our performance this year. I truly believe we can go all the way. I think at a minimum Oliver and Petracca are expecting a very tight Prelim as a minimum. If we do that they’ll stay, anything less and we’ve got a fight in our hands

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, adonski said:

You over estimate Collingwood. You don't lose Stepho, Treloar & Phillips for effectively nothing unless you bring in a big fish that same year. 

That's not how it works mate..

Link to post
Share on other sites

okay, let's play it out

we say to pies 'take him this year' - we want their first rounder (which they don't want anyway cos of daicos) and another first rounder, at a minimum, i would expect - i'd also be asking for a lower tier best 22 player in addition to the two first rounders - say a quaynor or a brayden sier or a john noble or what have you

so their 2021 first rounder, 2022 first rounder, and brayden sier for christian petracca (and effectively nick daicos)

they might just say 'we'll get him as a free agent at the end of 2022' but of course that is fraught with danger for them

personally i can't see trac or oliver leaving

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

More just pointing out this talk of Collingwood's cap being far tighter than ours is quite likely not very accurate.

Not sure how you're tearing up Melksham's contract early? And wouldn't think any of Jones, Jetta and Hibberd are on huge contracts that will gift us massive salary cap space. Hard to know for sure though.

Obviously hope both Clarry and Trac stay, but just think it's a bit naive for people to instantly write this off.

 

I am not writing it off, I am merely hoping with all my might that they both stay.

Replacing Jones, Jetta and Hibberd and others with youngsters, will be a saving and Melk could do a deal if he wanted to retire early.

Tracc and Clarry are not on nothing at the moment, so we are only finding the increase, not the whole salary.

The 4 players I named would have to be on $1.2m -$1.5m in total and if 4 youngsters were brought in, that would have to be nearly $1m saved. If TMac and Gus were traded/left/whatever,  how much extra would that leave us? 

I am just saying I don't think we will lose the boys over money. If it is another reason, there may be more to worry about.

Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I am not writing it off, I am merely hoping with all my might that they both stay.

Replacing Jones, Jetta and Hibberd and others with youngsters, will be a saving and Melk could do a deal if he wanted to retire early.

Tracc and Clarry are not on nothing at the moment, so we are only finding the increase, not the whole salary.

The 4 players I named would have to be on $1.2m -$1.5m in total and if 4 youngsters were brought in, that would have to be nearly $1m saved. If TMac and Gus were traded/left/whatever,  how much extra would that leave us? 

I am just saying I don't think we will lose the boys over money. If it is another reason, there may be more to worry about.

Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries.

If we lost all of Jones, Jetta, Hibberd and Melksham and replaced them with cheap youngsters I don't think we're going anywhere mate. I also don't think TMac and Gus leaving is realistic.

Also not sure how you justify saying "Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries" but then talk about getting rid of loyal veterans to save money so we can pay 2 stars. Doesn't stack up IMO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypothetically, if they wanted him this year, what do they have left to give up? He is contracted. Top 3 Brownlow. He isn’t going for a first rounder alone or a future 1st. Are they prepared to part with De Goey? Genuine questions, what on earth would they have to give to secure our club’s best player? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

If we lost all of Jones, Jetta, Hibberd and Melksham and replaced them with cheap youngsters I don't think we're going anywhere mate. I also don't think TMac and Gus leaving is realistic.

Also not sure how you justify saying "Not sure most other club's players like the idea of a new player coming for money and affecting their salaries" but then talk about getting rid of loyal veterans to save money so we can pay 2 stars. Doesn't stack up IMO.

Jones  and Jetta are clearly in their last year. Hibberd and Melksham are not loyal veterans. 
Not sure what you are in about.

What is your suggestion?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Jones  and Jetta are clearly in their last year. Hibberd and Melksham are not loyal veterans. 
Not sure what you are in about.

What is your suggestion?

I'm not the one making suggestions mate.

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

No, just knocking those that do mate. 

Replacing 4 veterans, 2 of which are in our 22 to this point, 2 which will likely be in next week, with 4 kids to save money so we can pay 2 stars is not a great suggestion.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Hypothetically, if they wanted him this year, what do they have left to give up? He is contracted. Top 3 Brownlow. He isn’t going for a first rounder alone or a future 1st. Are they prepared to part with De Goey? Genuine questions, what on earth would they have to give to secure our club’s best player? 

Might be like Howe, a coffee with Bucks and there you go it’s a done deal. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that Collingwood’s salary cap situation is far from resolved and they would have to move a few pieces around to make a huge offer for Trac. Then the question is what do they offer Melbourne? Darcy Moore plus a future first rounder? 

From Melbourne’s viewpoint, I think the likely retirements and delistings leave us well placed to make fair and reasonable offers to retain our star players and remain active in trading.

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2021 at 4:27 PM, Lord Nev said:

We also paid a fortune to Gus and TMac, have Gawn, Lever and May on decent coin, and Oliver to re-sign this year...

Collingwood aren't dumb operators. They're the biggest team in the league, if anyone thinks they were just 'dumb' last year then I don't think they understand that club. I would be wary.

Woo wee . . . so here's the reality:

"They're the biggest team in the league".

  • They are not the biggest team in the league measured by membership or revenue (they barely scrape into third place on membership).
  • They have won two premierships in 63 years (one less than us). 
  • They've been broke at least twice in that time. And
  • Never, ever, landed a superstar from another club that's gone on and performed for them. 

Tracktor, I suspect, won't be the "dumb operator". 

I fear Tracktor doing a hammy in a preliminary final much more than I fear Collingwood's recruiting department. 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Woo wee . . . so here's the reality:

"They're the biggest team in the league".

  • They are not the biggest team in the league measured by membership or revenue (they barely scrape into third place on membership).
  • They have won two premierships in 63 years (one less than us). 
  • They've been broke at least twice in that time. And
  • Never, ever, landed a superstar from another club that's gone on and performed for them. 

Tracktor, I suspect, won't be the "dumb operator". 

I fear Tracktor doing a hammy in a preliminary final much more than I fear Collingwood's recruiting department. 

Ok, so you're saying then that Melbourne are a bigger club than Collingwood? I mean, we've won more flags than them in the past 63 years right? Come on mate. Silly comment. Collingwood are a massive club with a lot of money and power.

Taylor Adams is their reigning BnF winner and an All-Australian. He's be an ok recruit wouldn't you say?

The reality is, like it or not, Collingwood are a big club with a lot of pull and power. If you're trying to write them off or label them as a dumb club then I think you're not being 'realistic' at all.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interest in Petracca is real, and not just from the Pies, but i'd be staggered if he left, all i've heard on the matter is that Trac is in the same boat as Clarry, ongoing conversations with the club, no indication that he's wanting to wait and see how the clubs going at this stage, it's mostly, and justifiably from his end, about money, he obviously thinks he deserves big $$ and given he's in the best few players in the game i tend to agree. 

you just look at the way he celebrated goals and got around the boys on the weekend and you can see a bloke who's invested, loves the Melbourne football club and his team mates and given the team is off to a strong start, and the prospective chasing clubs are not, it'd be staggering if he left. 

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trac and Oli will stay, the real elite talent of the comp tend to stay in one spot or atleast close to home. A few exceptions of course but it's not going to be easy for any victorian club not named North to put together a package deal in picks for us to accept and money to turn their heads.

I'd be more worried about locking down Jackson then either of those two.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep winning games of footy and these contracts will take care of themselves.

Collingwood hold no fear for me. Players and their managers have long memories. They saw how Treloar and Stephenson were treated during trade period. Why would you join an organisation like that? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roger Mellie said:

Huh? He didn't say that at all.

 

14 hours ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Woo wee . . . so here's the reality:

"They're the biggest team in the league".

They have won two premierships in 63 years (one less than us). 

 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Better days ahead said:

Keep winning games of footy and these contracts will take care of themselves.

Collingwood hold no fear for me. Players and their managers have long memories. They saw how Treloar and Stephenson were treated during trade period. Why would you join an organisation like that? 

Totally agree with all of that, particularly the bit about the pies. They must’ve lost a lot of credibility with the way they went about their business during the trade period was awful, I know there’s a level of prestige and exposure that comes with playing for Collingwood but why would you trust them after how they handled those two players exits?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, MurDoc516 said:

Trac and Oli will stay, the real elite talent of the comp tend to stay in one spot or atleast close to home. A few exceptions of course but it's not going to be easy for any victorian club not named North to put together a package deal in picks for us to accept and money to turn their heads.

I'd be more worried about locking down Jackson then either of those two.

 

Jackson you just know will bolt for Perth at some point. But he's going to be a star and we need to be as successful as possible while we have him because he's the type of player that is very hard to replace. Need to be okay with losing him which can only happen if we win a flag while he's in red and blue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Whispering_Jack changed the title to Christian Petracca declares his loyalty (2018)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MOGGIES MASTERED by George on the Outer

    They say that herding cats is an impossible task but not for the Melbourne Demons who through relentless pressure, scored a commanding 25 point victory in Round 4 over Geelong at the MCG. The team that missed the AFL finals only once in the past dozen years were shown up by the new Demons of 2021 who have recorded their first 4-0 opening to the season in 21 years! Melbourne knew what was coming, and it was Geelong who were shown up for their inability to adapt to the 2021 style of foot

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNDER MY SKIN by The Oracle

    The story goes that there’s a certain player from Geelong who has been seen in Moorabool Street crooning the old Sinatra classic, “I’ve got you under my skin.” His name is O’Connor and he’s been tasked to achieve one thing on Sunday by his coach, Chris Scott: to get under the skin of a Demon midfielder on Sunday and thereby tag him out of the big contest at the G. The idea behind the tactic is to not only blunt one of the team’s most destructive weapons but to distract them all from producing th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAX IN SPACE

    Demon skipper Max Gawn is one big unit at 208cm and lately he’s been standing even taller. We already know that he’s unstoppable in the air when going for a mark but with three consecutive victories to open the season, you might say that he has his head in the clouds.  And that is literally true thanks to a fan at Demonland.com who recently arranged for our big ruckman to go even further than the clouds but way beyond to the edge of space and into the stratosphere. And this photograph of Ma

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 25

    CAPITAL PUNISHMENT by George on the Outer

    A 34-point win in the nation’s capital has seen the Demons kill the Giants hopes early in the 2021 season. It wasn’t only the scoreboard, but a succession of injuries to major players for GWS that has put paid to their aspirations. The winning result wasn’t just due to the opposition losing players, but also to the relentless pressure from this 2021 Melbourne side that put them in the winners circle. In past years, a 16 point deficit at the first change combined with a rampant Toby Greene w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    POWER AND THE PASSION by Whispering Jack

    The Demons ran out for their Qualifying Final match against the Fremantle Dockers at Casey Fields as the sounds of Midnight Oils’ “Power and the Passion cascaded over the mainly friendly pro-Melbourne crowd. It was a far cry from the season opener at Carrara in late January where few of their fans were in attendance in high 20’s heat and humidity and silence greeted every score from the slow-starting Demons. They ran away from the lowly Suns, won comfortably in the end and followed that with ano

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BREAK OUT by Whispering Jack

    Despite the chaotic events occurring in Canberra over the past few weeks, one thing is for certain. This weekend’s game at Manuka Oval in the nation’s capital between the GWS Giants and Melbourne will decide which of Scott Morrison or Leon Cameron is the most under the pump at this point in time.  This time twelve months ago, the Giants were coming off a season in which they had played off in a grand final. They opened up their 2020 campaign with a resounding 32-point victory in round 1 aga

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MARVELOUS PRESSURE by George on the Outer

    Is this a new form of Melbourne which has suddenly emerged in 2021?  In the past, whenever the pressure was applied, the team would falter early and as a consequence, it would more often than not, be forced to confront its own self-inflicted failure. But perhaps not so this year. The match at Marvel Stadium against the Saints provided an insight into how creating pressure, actually relieves it on the club, players and coach. Right from the start, Melbourne was there to make a stat

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    STUCK IN THE MIDDLE by The Oracle

    Throughout the off season, St Kilda was touted as an improver and a possible challenger for a top four position mainly off the back of another good trade and draft period at the end of last year. Then in Round 1, the undermanned Saints made a shaky start and almost succumbed to the Giants but they managed to come home from a wet and woolly Sydney with the four points intact. For Round 2, they have a couple of handy players returning so they come into the the game at Marvel Stadium choc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A SCRAPPY, SLOPPY SUCCESS by George on the Outer

    After what seemed like an eternity without Footy in Melbourne, the Demons and their fans produced a scrappy, sloppy yet successful return to the MCG. Yet is was against an interstate team from the furthest reaches of the country, but the 21K fans who made it through the gates, was way below expectations for numbers.  Sure it can’t have helped with all the difficulty that Ticketek imposed just to get a ticket, and since you just couldn’t walk up, perhaps the number wasn’t that surprising.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNFINISHED BUSINESS by Whispering Jack

    The Melbourne Football Club has unfinished business with Fremantle after that unexpected loss in their previous clash at Cazaly’s Stadium in Cairns cost it a place in last year’s finals campaign.   Back then, the tired Demons spluttered listlessly through the humid conditions in tropical far North Queensland playing in and losing two games in the space of four days and against two lowly clubs. The end result was much more than an embarrassment for the club given what was at stake at th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    PRACTICE PUMMELLING by George on the Outer

    Was this a practice for what lay ahead for the Demons in 2021 or was it an outcome to expect because it was used as a true practice game? Those of us on the outside will never know, but a 39 point loss to the Western Bulldogs was a pummelling in anyone’s language. We can draw some consolation from the players that Melbourne put on the field, with Toby Bedford, Jake Bowey, Kade Chandler, James Jordon and Tom Sparrow each getting a guernsey whereas they probably would not normally be in the f

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports


×
×
  • Create New...