Andrew Gaff

DemonLad5

Just now, Vogon Poetry said:

We are getting picky at Demonland.  Andrew Gaff not good enough for us?  Wow.

Perfect age, provides what we desperately need, averages 29 possessions a game this year for WCE, lovely kick, runs all day, good decision maker and durable.

Nah, who needs that? I love him at the Demons, would be one of our best 10 players. 

What would you trade for him?  

I agree that he fills a need, as does Lever.   We would likely need pick 10 for Lever, and the Eagles will ask a lot for Gaff.

5 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Perfect age, provides what we desperately need, averages 29 possessions a game this year for WCE, lovely kick, runs all day, good decision maker and durable.

Nah, who needs that? I love him at the Demons, would be one of our best 10 players. 

They're not picky mate, they're nuffies.

It's like the conversation last year about Hibberd, and Melksham the year before.  They have an incredible ability to overrate a player wearing red and blue and pick holes in regular/established/gun players from BETTER teams.

If people can't see the value in a hard-running, skilful wingman and how perfect a Gaff / Isaac Smith / Brad Hill / Stephen Hill type would compliment our contested bulls, we should be putting a quota on how much they can post on Demonland.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

12 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

What would you trade for him? 

I've got no idea because I don't know what WCE want.  I'd have no hesitation trading this or  next years first round pick.  Picks are so overrated.  There's no guarantee that you get a gun anywhere in the draft let alone above pick 10 which hopefully we'd have next year. 

Gaff is worth a lot to us because he's what we need and he's very good.  Lever and Gaff and we are a genuine chance next year.  Don't tell me that's not worth a fair bit.

And he's got at least 5 years you'd think. 

If Gaff wants to come we'll do a deal regardless of what the Lever situation is.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

i was laughed at for suggesting Zaharakis whos had a massive second half and was offered 4 years by EFC. Provides outside run 6 i50s a game but is "too soft" - apparently we just want a team of nuggets who bash and crash.

If we're ninth, it may suggest we're exactly half way through the Roos rebuild. Will there be 11 different names to the 22 in r23 when we win the premiership? Perhaps. Perhaps not as we may really be a team capable of being 70-80% through a rebuild without the years misfortune.

Either way, we need to upgrade immediately and Gaff is a definite upgrade. Anyone that has shown elite tendencies like Motlop, Gaff, Zaha, or whoever else is worth pitting against our bottom 6-10 players in our 22 each week for selection. We may draft an A frade player like Lever, but probably not another this year. So we should be looking to add 2 or 3 trade ins to fill in the holes. Our draftees will also be brought in to compete with the likes of Harmes, Bugg, Tyson etc

I think the misconception is that people think we need to draft stars.  I don't think we do.  We need three more players who are just "starting 22" each week.  Gaff and Lever would obviously be 2 and we could probably get a third somewhere.  Actually, Lever and Gaff would be much higher up than we probably need but if they wanted to come to us happy days.

We've got the top end talent coming.  We need to push out the type of players like Harmes, Bugg, Hannan, ANB, Stretch.  We need to force those players to become consistent contributors, and some will.  We can then just draft talent and develop it properly. 

Gaff, Lever and one other and we will be serious contenders for 5 to 8 years.

• Like 5

I think Gaff would be a good pick-up for us. Outside run and class, plus he has 150 plus games under his belt and only just turned 25. He could very well reach a new level with us. Its amazing what a new, fresh environment can do for players. Look at Hibberd for example.

• Like 2

The only West Aussies we have on our list are Hogan and Jetta and there is no chance of them being traded.

If we do get Lever the only way I see this working in having a third club involved, unless this occurs with any potential Lever trade. I like him as a player and he would be a great fit.

1 hour ago, Watts Jurrah Dunn? said:

They're not picky mate, they're nuffies.

It's like the conversation last year about Hibberd, and Melksham the year before.  They have an incredible ability to overrate a player wearing red and blue and pick holes in regular/established/gun players from BETTER teams.

If people can't see the value in a hard-running, skilful wingman and how perfect a Gaff / Isaac Smith / Brad Hill / Stephen Hill type would compliment our contested bulls, we should be putting a quota on how much they can post on Demonland.

Equally I think people tend to overrate players from other teams, just because they are someone from another team with good stats or good highlights.

Ask the average Joe from Collingwood what they think of one trick pony Howe now. They were creaming themselves when they first got him, cause all they saw of him was this guy taking massive speccies on the news each week

We - the fans who watch him week in, week out - knew better, and knew that was basically all he did.

My earlier anti Gaff comments were based on what I have read many Eagles fans saying about him. Many don't rate him and I'd be more inclined to listen to what they have to say about him as a player, both positive and negative, than people who don't see much of him.

That said, Bombers fans were laughing at us for taking Melksham too, so not all know what they are on about.

Anyway, for some balance, here is a little Gaff positivity for you, from HS two days ago...

============================

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/the-best-endurance-players-in-the-afl-revealed/news-story/74a8c996525dc5b45cb04258c9ac680c

• SCULLY averages a league-high 16.6km per game and his standing as the game’s unrivalled endurance machine is laid bare by his ownership of the four highest distance totals this year, topped by a 18.3km effort against Collingwood in Round 8.

(Gaff is second at 15.95km)

• WEST Coast winger Andrew Gaff is the most selfless runner, working back harder than any other player and covering the most ground (6.5km) when West Coast don’t have the ball

The running men - 2017 averages

Distance covered in a game
Tom Scully (GWS) 16.62km
Andrew Gaff (WC) 15.95km
Lachie Whitfield (GWS) 15.60km
Steele Sidebottom (Coll) 15.18km
Isaac Smith (Haw) 15.13km
Distance covered at high speed
Tom Scully (GWS) 4.16km
Bradley Hill (Frem) 3.43km
Lachie Whitfield (GWS) 3.10km
Jack Sinclair (StK) 3.08km
Steele Sidebottom (Coll) 2.96km
Distance covered in attack
Tom Scully (GWS) 7.12km
Lachie Whitfield (GWS) 6.51km
Toby Greene (GWS) 6.41km
Steele Sidebottom (Coll) 6.41km
Andrew Gaff (WC) 6.37km
Distance covered in defence
Andrew Gaff (WC) 6.50km
Nick Robertson (Bris) 6.44km
Sam Gibson (NM) 6.35km
Ethan Hughes (Frem) 6.34km
Harris Andrews (Bris) 6.34km
Sprints in a game
Bradley Hill (Frem) 35.3
Tom Scully (GWS) 32.9

Jeff Garlett (Melb) 26.9

Jeremy Cameron (GWS) 26.6
Steven Motlop (Geel) 26.1
SOURCE: Champion Data
* Minimum 10 games
Edited by JTR
spelling & formatting
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Didnt realise he made the AA team in 2015, named on the wing. Won their B and F too. Came 4th in the Brownlow in 2016

Perhaps hes better than I give him credit for.

Shane Woewodin....  just sayin!  :P

1 hour ago, Jibroni said:

The only West Aussies we have on our list are Hogan and Jetta and there is no chance of them being traded.

If we do get Lever the only way I see this working in having a third club involved, unless this occurs with any potential Lever trade. I like him as a player and he would be a great fit.

Dean Kent.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Red and Blue realist said:

I think they'll be asking for a minimum of our first this year or next, and for mine that price is about right. I doubt we'd be able to send a player like Kent and our second to get it done, maybe if Jeffy wanted to get home permanently after the things he had to go back for this year, but only raising him if he wanted to go back.

He was All Australian 2 years ago, and was in the squad last year. Also had the 8th most disposals this year and only Clarry had a higher disposal efficiency in the top 10 but Clarry has nearly 3 handballs for every kick while Gaff kicks far more than he handballs. He'd fix the issue of delivery inside 50 and the transition between our back half and Fwd50. I think he'd suit our needs more than Lever if we could only get 1, dream result would be both but I can't see that happening. 

Could we package up Heretier in a deal?

With Pick 10 likely to go to the Crows for Lever. 

I think Gaff would be unlikley and we would have to give up too much.

I cant see why we cant develop our own. I think Kent has upside and can develop into the outside runner we need along with Melksham, Hunt. Kent is only 23. Yes he might have to develop more of a tank. But an uninterrupted pre-season and a bit more luck staying away from the sidelines would help. I think he can have a breakout year.

If Gaff was to come to the Dees for Pick 10. I would want Scott Lycett in that trade aswell.

3 hours ago, Jibroni said:

2nd rd pick and a mid range player would get it done. 

He is not worth a 1st Rd pick

55 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

2nd rd pick and a mid range player would get it done. 

He is not worth a 1st Rd pick

Do you mean someone like Kent or Gartlett.

His contract ends in 2018 hence West Coke would want more than that.

On current value he is worth somewhere between pick 10-20 IMO.

5 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

I'd rather get him in now than wait a year

My apologies, I assumed you meant get him next season with our first rounder. 

I'd have to brush up on the future trading of draft pick rules. As we traded our first rounder last season I'm unsure if we can trade this and next years first rounders. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay