Sledging Fail

Demonland

This sums it up if its true....

Were was the leadership from our Captains & leadership group?

Goodwin was saying the right things e.g. "haven't achieved anything yet"

Very disappointing if this has occurred!

IMG_1439.jpg

Edited by Grapeviney
THREAD MERGE

so what if players are sledging each other. Just produce some action to back it up when we play saints next  year. Don't for goodness sakes think " oh, there's no Montagna or Riewoldt. We'll have an easy win !!

3 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

This sums it up if its true....

Were was the leadership from our Captains & leadership group?

Goodwin was saying the right things e.g. "haven't achieved anything yet"

Very disappointing if this has occurred!

IMG_1439.jpg

You must be very naive to what gets said on a football field

Pj comments around respect club is based around a number of factors .. in terms of both on & off the field & were the club has come from since 2013 .. to suggest he was getting ahead of himself is ridiculous..  Surely you can praise the progress of the club .. 

1 hour ago, Hogan2014 said:

Perhaps....the concern is then what mindset did the MFC players have that finals were in the bag?

Lets be real here...  how many people, you included (and putting the MFCSS aside because we are on the up, right?) didn't think we would make finals?  Everyone here is so livid now, because finals were in the bag and we blew it.  Tell me you don't have any mates you discussed how great it was to be able to still be in the game come September a few weeks ago?  I know I did.  Why is it so bad for the players to have the same, positive mindset?  I seriously don't get the issue and this whole beat up reeks of people just looking for another way to try and sink the boots in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JTR said:

Lets be real here...  how many people, you included (and putting the MFCSS aside because we are on the up, right?) didn't think we would make finals?  Everyone here is so livid now, because finals were in the bag and we blew it.  Tell me you don't have any mates you discussed how great it was to be able to still be in the game come September a few weeks ago?  I know I did.  Why is it so bad for the players to have the same, positive mindset?  I seriously don't get the issue and this whole beat up reeks of people just looking for another way to try and sink the boots in.

Another excellent way to sink the boots in is to watch the 1st Quarter again. 

You have to earn a finals berth, not just brag about it early. 

2 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

Perhaps....the concern is then what mindset did the MFC players have that finals were in the bag?

Probably just wanted to get into the St.Kilda players heads re the current game. By the way I don't subscribe to the get ahead of ourselves theory, I agree with Gary Lyon, I think that when faced with opportunity to achieve something, we choke.

8 minutes ago, loges said:

Probably just wanted to get into the St.Kilda players heads re the current game. By the way I don't subscribe to the get ahead of ourselves theory, I agree with Gary Lyon, I think that when faced with opportunity to achieve something, we choke.

Yep i agree with G. Lyon on this one 100%

expectation has given this club wobbly knees and stress for decades

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

Yep i agree with G. Lyon on this one 100%

expectation has given this club wobbly knees and stress for decades

Yes, what did we do at the start of the game, we came out and tried to play safe. If you try to play safe you're not taking the game on, if you're reacting to what the opposition is doing and not initiating then there's only one way the game is going to go. As someone said in another post, it was like they were playing not to lose the game rather than going out and winning it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, loges said:

Yes, what did we do at the start of the game, we came out and tried to play safe. If you try to play safe you're not taking the game on, if you're reacting to what the opposition is doing and not initiating then there's only one way the game is going to go. As someone said in another post, it was like they were playing not to lose the game rather than going out and winning it.

Yep. It was so easy to see. 

I don't understand why the runner cannot just bolt into the centre of the ground and bark at a leader or 2 to "Fire Up"

the coaches just sat and watched it unfurl....

1 hour ago, JTR said:

This club has made an art form of failing spectacularly over the last 50years.
Anyone who thought finals were in the bag doesn't have a clue.

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Hogan2014 said:

I think every different player had a different mindset, and that's what cost us. Goodwin said "We didn't talk about finals." Well we should have; especially with such a young team. People need to talk about what matters, and finals matters to us. If we pretended Round 23 was just like any other, we were fools.

17 people have coached the Melbourne Football Club since Norm Smith. None have won the flag. All have thought that history means nothing. We must embrace our history. Every chance to smash a hoodoo, we should let our players know about it. And then we'll smash it.

Embrace the failure. Embrace the history. Embrace the opportunity for redemption. And then embrace the success.

• Like 1

How long is it going to take you all to realise?? Our players' issue is not that we're arrogant, its that we go to water in the face of expectation. We choked because that is what we do when we have something to lose. When we have nothing to lose, are not expected to win, we play great football. Thats why as soon as we beat west coast, we went to [censored]. Because we had something to lose. Its been this way for a number of years. Only thing that temporarily halted the rot was jack vineys 1st qtr against port.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Allen Jakovich said:

How long is it going to take you all to realise?? Our players' issue is not that we're arrogant, its that we go to water in the face of expectation. We choked because that is what we do when we have something to lose. When we have nothing to lose, are not expected to win, we play great football. Thats why as soon as we beat west coast, we went to [censored]. Because we had something to lose. Its been this way for a number of years. Only thing that temporarily halted the rot was jack vineys 1st qtr against port.

Agree entirely. 

Furthermore, if we planned as well for games we're expected to win as we do for games we're expected to lose, the choking would be less likely to happen. We're still a young & inexperienced team that hasn't yet "gelled" in a way that we can do things automatically like Sydney & Hawthorn, so we seem to play better when each player has simple specific instructions.

11 hours ago, loges said:

Agree with this too. At the start of the season, we were great at taking the game on. We played a game style that was so attacking that we were prepared to leak a few bad goals out the back because it would allow us to score a lot more. But at the end of the season this attitude completely vanished, and I agree that we were trying not to lose rather than trying to take the game on no matter what. The coaches collectively dropped the ball on this, and probably reinforced this defensive mindset, but Goody is good enough to take stock & work it out if he listens to the right people.