Demonland

MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 9

3 minutes ago, Vogon Poetry said:

Why wasn't last years Hawks game "the game"? Or the previous year against the Cats. I mean, the Hawks were ladder leaders and it was the end of the season, not early like the Crows. 

Both of those examples you give were 'the game', so to speak. The cats game showed we could match it with the best and that were on the right path. That game gave us the chance to bury the ghost of 186 and saw the emergence of the best ruckman in the game. The hawks game confirmed that and gave us a chance of making the final. We showed we would no longer be bullied by them and came back, not once but twice, winning running away. As a nice bonus we sent the hawks into free-fall. It is worth noting we backed that win up, winning at a hostile AO against Port the following week (a game we were outsiders in). 

Both of these games are critical elements in our oft spoke of journey, as was last weeks epic win. Such games are indeed worth more than 4 points in the grand scheme of things. And we win our flag they will be referred to as key markers. 

• Like 2

Pretty absurd for a footy team like ours to be treating this as a "Danger Game" but given our favouritism that is exactly what it is. Still far from convinenced that our players can play at the high standard demanded to win week in week out!.

A real Danger Game IMO a loss wouldnt surprise, Nor would a win!

• Like 1

I really hope we win this just so I can jump on big footy and read the excuses, my god north supporters are an arrogant bunch they just think they need to show up to get the win, not only do I hope we win but I would love to spank them by 10 goals, yea they have beaten us 15 times but we are a different side now 

I think the idea of any of these being danger games is missing the mark.

For mine a Danger Game  is a game where you are caught napping or blindsided and lose against a trend. I see no trend currently, just some results.

All games are really winnable if you brig your A game and play for 4 qtrs.  If we dont we'll lose , as simple as that..

In terms of finals all remaining games are practically clutch games. The competition is THAT relatively even , every game has to be played out to its potential.

I think tomorrow is just as winnable as it is losable.

We now as a club have to step up, step up to a level where we treat all games as ours for winning...and not worry so much about whether the opposition is a 'danger' ...they are ALWAYS the opposition, just treat them as that.

• Like 1

I think if we can just be in the head space to hunt the Roos from the very start and get them on the back foot, somewhat like we eventually did against Adelaide, then there is nothing that can stop us. We didn't let the height of Adelaide get us like what Hawthorn did to us the week before, I am hoping we won't slip into poor habits and cost ourselves again.

It sounds simple, play smart, hunt them and we should get the points.

• Like 1

If we bring the same effort and intensity as we did against Adelaide against north we should win comfortably. 

Last time they played us they won by a handful of points and boomer kicked 6

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Danelska said:

What is peoples views on Stretch - why aint he in the squad?

I think he'll be a good squad player and a best 22 player, but he's out of form at the moment.  He isn't damaging enough with his disposals yet and doesn't give us a whole lot without the ball in his hands.

I really like Stretch and all you hear about is how hard he works at training to improve himself as a player, and I think he'll get there in time, but right now he isn't in our best side.

• Like 1

Favorites, 6th Spot up for grabs, chance to pass St Kilda and Richmond, North hoodoo. All of these things make me pack it about tomorrow. 

Edited by Schneider
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I think he'll be a good squad player and a best 22 player, but he's out of form at the moment.  He isn't damaging enough with his disposals yet and doesn't give us a whole lot without the ball in his hands.

I really like Stretch and all you hear about is how hard he works at training to improve himself as a player, and I think he'll get there in time, but right now he isn't in our best side.

I'm pretty sure it was Roos that spoke about the importance of having a capable best 25. You have your stars but you need to others to be able to fill the roles when required and have guys at Casey putting selection pressure on those picked. I see Stretch as being one of those guys who may not be best 22 week in week out but stays in that 25 for consideration and when given the opportunity performs his role.

As for this weeks game there is zero doubt in my mind that if we come to play we win (and probably comfortably), our best can beat anyone in the competition. Whether that happens....

2 hours ago, Schneider said:

Favorites, 5th Spot up for grabs, chance to pass St Kilda and Richmond, North hoodoo. All of these things make me pack it about tomorrow. 

Funny you should say that. I was speaking to my best mate today, who perhaps not coincedently is a big dees fan, and he said we are favourites, should be favourites, have made no changes and the oppo have made 5, they are coming off a six day break compared to our seven, we have a superior win loss record and percentage and have more talent. Ordinarily all reasons to be confident of a win. Unless you barrack for Melbourne.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Schneider said:

Favorites, 5th Spot up for grabs, chance to pass St Kilda and Richmond, North hoodoo. All of these things make me pack it about tomorrow. 

Strong performance last week, too.

Everything points to a classic MFC loss.

My expectations for tomorrow are being set very, very low.

• Like 1

I think well be fine...I really do.

4 hours ago, Schneider said:

Favorites, 6th Spot up for grabs, chance to pass St Kilda and Richmond, North hoodoo. All of these things make me pack it about tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Strong performance last week, too.

Everything points to a classic MFC loss.

My expectations for tomorrow are being set very, very low.

Yup.  All signs point to a typical Melbourne loss.

Guess we will find out if we really have turned a corner.

I predict North will come out firing, Waite and Brown will kick a few early ones. I'll crack the shits and post something about giving up on the club and never posting on here again. We'll enter the second half of the second quarter and kick ahead, maintaining and extending our lead to take out the game. I'll then re-commence posting like nothing ever happened.

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

I predict North will come out firing, Waite and Brown will kick a few early ones. I'll crack the shits and post something about giving up on the club and never posting on here again. We'll enter the second half of the second quarter and kick ahead, maintaining and extending our lead to take out the game. I'll then re-commence posting like nothing ever happened.

That's the spirit Ethan.

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Thanks Skuit. I do hope though that Brown is kept quiet, I don't think I'll be able to handle his post goal celebrations. It's a big game this one, back up last week and re-enter the eight. Biggest game of the season for us so far I think.

No worries Trumbull. I'll let you in on my little secret - or at least the one that keeps me relatively sane. I don't think this particular match matters all that much in the wash. Win/lose - we'll come good with a run-on in the back-end - and if we don't, we don't really deserve to be in the mix anyway. My much dirtier secret - I've always had a bit of a soft-spot for Benny Brown. Happy for him to kick five, so long as it constitutes half of the Kangas' goals.

On 2017-5-19 at 2:12 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I agree he has flair but his disposal has been horrid at times, which is weird because I though he was rookie drafted based on his elite kicking?

You'd imagine he'll remain in the side until he has a poor game. He'll be a useful match up on one of North's medium forwards such as Garner or Wood.

Think Wagner is better at disposal than Jones.

Did you see Jones against Nth Melbourne ?  Absolute disgrace.. His turnovers alone cost us three goals...

Just because you get possessions does not maketh you a good player.