Jesse Hogan re-signs to end of Season 2019

Lucifers Hero

There is a video on the HS website which I can't get to as not a subscriber.  But the caption says:  " RE-SIGNED Melbourne forward Jesse Hogan has sacrificed at least $1 million to stay loyal to the Demons under a deal that secures him to the club until 2019."

Whatever the figure is is not important  But it does support his press conference comments that his decision was not about money.  Also, In his press conference he said ...if there was a time to go back to WA it was now...so his future is in Melbourne (paraphrasing).

That should dispel any lingering doubts about him chasing the $$ and his commitment to the Dees. 

Now we can enjoy watching him tear up the G for the next 3 years!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 6

32 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

There is a video on the HS website which I can't get to as not a subscriber.  But the caption says:  " RE-SIGNED Melbourne forward Jesse Hogan has sacrificed at least $1 million to stay loyal to the Demons under a deal that secures him to the club until 2019."

Whatever the figure is is not important  But it does support his press conference comments that his decision was not about money.  Also, In his press conference he said ...if there was a time to go back to WA it was now...so his future is in Melbourne (paraphrasing).

That should dispel any lingering doubts about him chasing the $$ and his commitment to the Dees. 

Now we can enjoy watching him tear up the G for the next 3 years!

Try this link  Jesse Hogan sacrifices $1 million to stay at Melbourne after signing two-year contract extension

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Great. I've got 3 years to stress and obsess about his next contract.

I'm probably being naive with this answer, but I think Jesse is with us long term.  As he said in his interview, if there was a time for him to go home it was now.  The club gave him every reason to stay and he loves being here.  I don't really think we need to worry about him.

The only worry I would have is if we get to the end of 2019 and we still haven't played finals or we've gone backwards.  Then there might be some worry, but I have a feeling that Jesse loves the club and loves being in Melbourne so much that it won't matter too much.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

good. looks like some mod has removed it now

Probably the same one who told you ages ago that copyright breaches like that are outside the Demonland code. Steve asked for a PM and it should have been handled that way.

• Like 1

This signing also allows us to really plan and build the team around Hogan for the next 3 years. Another year in the dark about whether or not he was going to recommit could have potentially forced us this year to trade into the top 10 and draft another forward.

Good stuff Dees!

55 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

thanks for the link

that is a really great honest interview from Hoges. I especially like the below line. seems like he may be drawing a line under the go-home factor.  also interesting to hear him talk baout his last 6 weeks and not being good at taking criticism and the media affecting him.  Love the bloke

“It was all more hypothetical and more about if there was to be a time (to come home) this was it.

11 hours ago, chook fowler said:

He has resisted the pull back home and reportedly accepted $1million less than was on offer elsewhere. Sounds like a buy in to me.

This is a massive leap of faith for Hogan. He is on board and has demonstrated commitment to the cause. We should back him and the team  up and launch a push for 45,000 members next year.

1 hour ago, Dr John Dee said:

Probably the same one who told you ages ago that copyright breaches like that are outside the Demonland code. Steve asked for a PM and it should have been handled that way.

always a bit hard to know where to draw the line, doc

i did leave full attributions in the paste. then there is the distinction between "excerpts" (allowed?) and more complete copies (dubious?). plus there is the fact that the online media continually plagiarise/copy each other with seeming impunity.

only reason i didn't pm it was because i know there are other posters in similar situation as steve and that this particular article, i thought, was very pertinent to a lot of speculation that has been on this thread.

anyway, i do take your point. if possible an improved definition of what requoting is permissible on dl, without skirting too close to breaching copyright, might be timely

2 hours ago, Wiseblood said:

I'm probably being naive with this answer, but I think Jesse is with us long term.  As he said in his interview, if there was a time for him to go home it was now.  The club gave him every reason to stay and he loves being here.  I don't really think we need to worry about him.

The only worry I would have is if we get to the end of 2019 and we still haven't played finals or we've gone backwards.  Then there might be some worry, but I have a feeling that Jesse loves the club and loves being in Melbourne so much that it won't matter too much.

Only joking. 3 years is a long time in the life of a 21 year old. One would think his connection with the club and Melbourne will get stronger over time. I think it is easy to underestimate his commitment. His words and actions would suggest he is fully on board for the long haul. 

Edited by chook fowler
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, chook fowler said:

Only joking. 3 years is a long time in the life of a 21 year old. One would think his connection with the club and Melbourne will get stronger over time. I think it is easy to underestimate his commitment. His words and actions would suggest he is fully on board for the long hall. 

You are not alone in your thoughts chook I have the same feeling and I assume you mean Haul

• Like 1

He could have taken a 7 year, 7 million dollar deal from any number of clubs.

He left a shitload of lot of guaranteed money on the table to stay with the Dees.  He has just proven himself to be a great clubman, team mate and a fantastic indivudual.

Jesse is officially the anti-Scully.  

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

He could have taken a 7 year, 7 million dollar deal from any number of clubs.

He left a shitload of lot of guaranteed money on the table to stay with the Dees.  He has just proven himself to be a great clubman, team mate and a fantastic indivudual.

Jesse is officially the anti-Scully.  

I dislike Scully as much as the next man ( probably more) - I hate that he lied through his teeth. However, the big difference between the Scully times and Hogan times is that Scully walked away from a club that was a cesspool full of stinkiness, with prospects of improvement, let alone finals a hazy dream,  for much more money. Hogan can see he is in a well run, stable club, with good people and enough good talent that will propel us up the ladder. He gave up more money to remain in a team that is going places.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 6

13 minutes ago, nutbean said:

I dislike Scully as much as the next man ( probably more) - I hate that he lied through his teeth. However, the big difference between the Scully times and Hogan times is that Scully walked away from a club that was a cesspool full of stinkiness, with prospects of improvement, let alone finals a hazy dream,  for much more money. Hogan can see he is in a well run, stable club, with good people and enough good talent that will propel us up the ladder. He gave up more money to remain in a team that is going places.

That pretty much covers it nutbean 100% agreement

• Like 1

Jesse will be great for the development of Hullett and Weid in teaching them the craft and will also make Oscar, Frosty and TMAC better by training with them.

Great news for the club to keep the key forward and key defender, when there was so much noise about them leaving!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

I wouldn't rely on the figures reported by Ralph, given that he reports that our premiership drought is now up to 62 years - "Hogan says he has aspirations to remain at Melbourne past his current deal, eager for that premiership that has eluded the Demons for so long — at 62 years now the longest premiership drought".

Clearly numbers aren't his strong-suit, but 2016 - 1964 = 52

It again highlights Ralph's quality as a journalist, imo.

Come on, it's a typo. Let up. I don't necessarily rate him either but the keys 5 and 6 do sit beside one another.

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

always a bit hard to know where to draw the line, doc

i did leave full attributions in the paste. then there is the distinction between "excerpts" (allowed?) and more complete copies (dubious?). plus there is the fact that the online media continually plagiarise/copy each other with seeming impunity.

only reason i didn't pm it was because i know there are other posters in similar situation as steve and that this particular article, i thought, was very pertinent to a lot of speculation that has been on this thread.

anyway, i do take your point. if possible an improved definition of what requoting is permissible on dl, without skirting too close to breaching copyright, might be timely

Noted. I'll raise this with the others (if they happen to be around and not sunning themselves in far north Queensland or the Costa del Sol or wherever it is that the inner sanctum retires to at this time of year).

Good news that he has re-signed and I am very happy with the 3 years. As his manager said it's still very much an unknown how good he will become. 

If I heard it right (his manager gave a sneaky one word answer which I found hard to hear) he has essentially signed a 3 year deal, changing next years contract and the terms around 2017.