Jump to content

Dockers want Jake Spencer


MadAsHell

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Moonshadow said:

The less time Watts spends in the ruck the better. 

Why, with his basketball skills he provides a bit of a challenge to the other teams part time ruckman.

 

6 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I don't care if Watts enjoys playing in the ruck, because he's not a long term solution.

 

I brought up the names of Nankervis and Smith as being examples of players who have come off rookie lists in their early 20's. Naismith is another. Not necessarily saying that they would want to come to us, but there are young ruckmen out there with more upside than Spencer. Mitch King is probably another example.

Ok what is the upside that the two names you have quoted have as opposed to Spencer?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, mo64 said:

I brought up the names of Nankervis and Smith as being examples of players who have come off rookie lists in their early 20's. Naismith is another. Not necessarily saying that they would want to come to us, but there are young ruckmen out there with more upside than Spencer. Mitch King is probably another example.

Yes, they're out there, but are they available to us?  If they're not players we are likely to able to trade in, then there's no point discussing them.  Mitch King is a crazy example, he's already on our list and clearly isn't a viable backup to Max yet.  You may have noticed, he and Spencer are *already* both on the list.

Gawn's season this year will have been a big fat red flag for any ruckman with aspirations to become a senior AFL ruckman, which is surely all of them.  

Nobody in favour of giving Spencer the flick has given a viable alternative yet for mine.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just spoke to my Swans following mate about Toby Nankervis.

- solid ruckman

- good mark 

- decent kick

- not real quick

- not overly mobile

- needs to work on tank, having said that has been in the system for a few years.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

I think you are forgetting that Watts has been taking turns in the ruck, he actually enjoys it, I asked him, with a bit more work during the pre season on the craft, he could provide a handy backup to either Gawn or Spencer

Do you think Watts is going to tell a supporter he doesn't enjoy playing in the ruck? 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I have to admit I'd never heard of him until following the Casey feed yesterday.  Pretty interesting selection in a final with an already pretty tall Casey side - must have shown something.  Listed as 203cm and 100kg so he's probably physically ready.  Any idea why he'd been playing in the dev league for the bulk of the season?

McInerney was quite good in the early preseason games at Casey but he was behind the two Kings and then Spencer came back early and the Scorps had no room for him with Jake & Max King (after Mitch's injury) and Pedo and Declan Keilty also helping out. McInerney got a game (maybe 2) in mid season but eventually, when Max King wasn't producing, he and Oscar basically changed places and the latter looks set to play out the finals in the Casey seniors now. 

I think McInerney was also instrumental in the Development League's rapid improvement in the second half of the year. They've certainly gone downhill quickly in his absence.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nasher said:

Yes, they're out there, but are they available to us?  If they're not players we are likely to able to trade in, then there's no point discussing them.  Mitch King is a crazy example, he's already on our list and clearly isn't a viable backup to Max yet.  You may have noticed, he and Spencer are *already* both on the list.

Gawn's season this year will have been a big fat red flag for any ruckman with aspirations to become a senior AFL ruckman, which is surely all of them.  

Nobody in favour of giving Spencer the flick has given a viable alternative yet for mine.  

You are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Your original response was "You say that as if it's easy". I'm saying that there are young untried ruckmen out there with more upside than Spencer, and I gave you examples of some who have been rookied recently. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

Why, with his basketball skills he provides a bit of a challenge to the other teams part time ruckman.

 

Tracc is a better basketball er than Watts. Following you logic he should be our 2nd ruck.

Watts is a highly valuable forward hitting his peak who should not be used in the ruck where big guys crash their bodies at each other.

The ruck position isn't about "a bit of a challenge" chap.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Tracc is a better basketball er than Watts. Following you logic he should be our 2nd ruck.

Watts is a highly valuable forward hitting his peak who should not be used in the ruck where big guys crash their bodies at each other.

The ruck position isn't about "a bit of a challenge" chap.

Watts is no longer a young skinny guy, he weighs in at about 98kg now, also the second ruck in a team are usually the same, I personally like when he goes through the ruck coz he has the hands and kicking skills if he gets a clean ball in his hands

 

7 minutes ago, mo64 said:

You are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Your original response was "You say that as if it's easy". I'm saying that there are young untried ruckmen out there with more upside than Spencer, and I gave you examples of some who have been rookied recently. 

What upside, if they are untried? Is it age? They are taller? What?

Edited by Satyriconhome
Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

The less time Watts spends in the ruck the better. 

Exactly. Rather him fit and mobile in the forward line than getting smashed up at ruck contests.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sick of hearing about basketball skills with a link to AFL especially the peripheral because it's absolute garbage. For every player like a Pendles that apparently sees things in slow motion there's 5 players equally as good if not better that didn't play basketball as a junior. Both games are 360 degree but if anything AFL is played more like that, both games are often played in one half of the ground court but you can make the transition a hell of a lot easier in basketball due to the size of the court plus footy has more players and you can get tackled from all angles.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Crikey, it would be a bit rough to ditch Spencer!  As a 2016 FA he could have gone to a club of his choice but re-signed for 2017.  Great loyalty without much chance of AFL game time.

A good article on ruckmen:  http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-15/rival-clubs-circling-big-swan-toby-nankervis  Nankervis seems to be at the top of everyone's  wish list.  Longmire's comments are interesting:  "I don't think you can have too many ruckmen on your list. It's such a tough job to do throughout the course of the season and you need to have a few...It's proven year after year that you need to have a number of ruckmen that can play senior footy and a couple developing in your reserves..." 

That suggests 4 ruckman on the list.  We are a long, long way short of that.  We have Gawn, Spencer, Mitch King (a 19yo with ACL injury and no bulk), and Max King (who can't make it into the Casey team).  So we really only have 2 ruckman for the next 2 or 3 years at least.  And Spencer may go next year as an FA.  Leaving us with 1 AFL ruckman and 1 Reserves ruckman going into 2018.

So, I do not think it is Spencer or another recruit.  I think it is Spencer and another

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Do you think Watts is going to tell a supporter he doesn't enjoy playing in the ruck? 

He looks all at sea in the ruck contest, as would be expected, but is another mid if the ball hits the ground. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I struggle to see why you would trade Spencil unless he asked to be traded. We re-signed him for another year in May this year and the way the club operates in list management these days does not make me think that he is being offered up.

Sure we may get an offer from another club but it would have to be a bloody great deal as we need to have a back up. Trading in a mature rookie that needs to still take time to learn our play and build connections to the mid field when you have one who knows all that and whom when he plays gives his all. 

i also don't subscribe to the view we need a first round pick to find talent.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

Watts is no longer a young skinny guy, he weighs in at about 98kg now, also the second ruck in a team are usually the same, I personally like when he goes through the ruck coz he has the hands and kicking skills if he gets a clean ball in his hands

 

Regardless of what you think Watts weighs, he certainly doesn't have a ruckman's body and he's too valuable to be put in that position. Every game I saw where he spent time in the ruck he was physically smaller than his opponent. We are a better team when Pedo is playing forward/2nd ruck. Watts isn't the long term solution in that position 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mo64 said:

You are misinterpreting what I'm saying. Your original response was "You say that as if it's easy". I'm saying that there are young untried ruckmen out there with more upside than Spencer, and I gave you examples of some who have been rookied recently. 

Mo, you said this:

53 minutes ago, mo64 said:

As WJ said, draft or trade in someone in their early 20's who has some upside to potentially play as a Forward/Ruckman. Spencer's ceiling is very low, and I doubt that he'll improve.

You've got from "draft or trade in someone...", then went on to list people who are going to be hard to get because they'll have no incentive to come here.  So what if there are untried ruckman out there with more upside than Spencer if they're not available to play for the Melbourne Football Club and are unlikely to come here.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


31 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

McInerney was quite good in the early preseason games at Casey but he was behind the two Kings and then Spencer came back early and the Scorps had no room for him with Jake & Max King (after Mitch's injury) and Pedo and Declan Keilty also helping out. McInerney got a game (maybe 2) in mid season but eventually, when Max King wasn't producing, he and Oscar basically changed places and the latter looks set to play out the finals in the Casey seniors now. 

I think McInerney was also instrumental in the Development League's rapid improvement in the second half of the year. They've certainly gone downhill quickly in his absence.

Thanks WJ.  You'd hope the club would be having a look - when was the last time our club took a player from its own VFL side? Shane Valenti and Stefan Martin came from that avenue but I can't think of anyone more recent than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Thanks WJ.  You'd hope the club would be having a look - when was the last time our club took a player from its own VFL side? Shane Valenti and Stefan Martin came from that avenue but I can't think of anyone more recent than that.

Matthew Warnock was another from around that time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Regardless of what you think Watts weighs, he certainly doesn't have a ruckman's body and he's too valuable to be put in that position. Every game I saw where he spent time in the ruck he was physically smaller than his opponent. We are a better team when Pedo is playing forward/2nd ruck. Watts isn't the long term solution in that position 

Oh please, too valuable, team member, one of 22, didn't say Watts was long term solution, but if utilised there next season, he will have a pre season to work on the ruck craft.

What will your reaction be to seeing Hogan rotating through the midfield next season?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We just signed Frank on for next year, King is miles off.

We are lucky Max didn't miss a game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 410

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 45

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884

    WARNING by William from Waalitj

    As a long term resident of Waalitj Marawar, I am moved to warn my fellow Narrm fans that a  danger game awaits. The locals are no longer the easybeats who stumbled, fumbled and bumbled their way to the good fortune of gathering the number one draft pick and a generational player in Harley Reid last year. They are definitely better than they were then.   Young Harley has already proven his worth with some stellar performances for a first year kid playing among men. He’s taken hangers, k

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews 22
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...