Ben Lennon

stevethemanjordan

I suspect the development at Richmond has been very poor. 

He played some terrific games last year but for some inexplicable reason they dropped him for the Elim Final.  He was looking to get out last year but they talked him into another contract.  Didn't get many games this year.  A surprise since recently Hardwick says he has been playing kids. 

Lennon probably figures he won't get many chances with Hardwick as coach. 

I think he will be a very good player, especially with some good development.  Would take him at the Dees; just not sure he is any better than the young guys we have and we have more important needs to fill elsewhere.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

Apparently he's on $280k at Richmond, which is a base figure. He is very frustrated that Dimma has not been playing him and there is more than a whiff that he feel the coach doesn't like him so it could be a personality clash. I'm not sure that he adds much to our team as we need midfielders, backs and a quality back up ruckman. Unless Tex Walker or similar wants to come to us I wouldn't be recruiting a forward.

I think we are going to see everyone linked with Carlton and Richmond this year. 

I'd be asking him to play wing not forward and I really dont think he is what we need in here. Carlton can have him and see how the recycled players in 2016 goes considering its worked so well for them so far....

25 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I suspect the development at Richmond has been very poor. 

He played some terrific games last year but for some inexplicable reason they dropped him for the Elim Final.  He was looking to get out last year but they talked him into another contract.  Didn't get many games this year.  A surprise since recently Hardwick says he has been playing kids. 

Lennon probably figures he won't get many chances with Hardwick as coach. 

I think he will be a very good player, especially with some good development.  Would take him at the Dees; just not sure he is any better than the young guys we have and we have more important needs to fill elsewhere.

Richmond BF board also has suggestions he's been playing different roles in the VFL and AFL sides (defence in the twos, forward in the seniors). Which needless to say is not ideal.

• Like 2

I agree with Lucifer's post in regards to the development at Richmond in general. Which is the reason why I think it's short-sighted to write him off just yet.

And like others I agree that positionally speaking, we are covered for half-forwards. 

However, given that we won't be able to target all areas of the list that need improving, I think something like this would be killing two birds:

Bringing in Lennon and Hibberd could allow for two of our quickest line-breaking players see a move further up field. Those players being Kent and Hunt.

Lennon to HF and Hibberd to HB and both Kent and Hunt to the wings rotating with Stretch. 

That's part of the attraction I see with Lennon, but who knows what the club have in mind.

Would certainly address our need for speed through the middle of the ground.

35 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

I agree with Lucifer's post in regards to the development at Richmond in general. Which is the reason why I think it's short-sighted to write him off just yet.

And like others I agree that positionally speaking, we are covered for half-forwards. 

However, given that we won't be able to target all areas of the list that need improving, I think something like this would be killing two birds:

Bringing in Lennon and Hibberd could allow for two of our quickest line-breaking players see a move further up field. Those players being Kent and Hunt.

Lennon to HF and Hibberd to HB and both Kent and Hunt to the wings rotating with Stretch. 

That's part of the attraction I see with Lennon, but who knows what the club have in mind.

Would certainly address our need for speed through the middle of the ground.

What's the point in line breakers if they're not playing off half back? I don't get it.

That said, I wouldn't be adverse to Lennon off half back. :P

42 minutes ago, A F said:

What's the point in line breakers if they're not playing off half back? I don't get it.

That said, I wouldn't be adverse to Lennon off half back. :P

Unfortunately we can't fix it all overnight. 

I think for us, we're desperate for speed through the middle and kicking skills on the half-backline. Hibberd brings that and hopefully Vince will next year.

Melksham will play half-back I imagine for run-and-carry.

But really I have no idea, just throwing up some scenarios.

• Like 1

Macartney could get the best out of Lennon I reckon.

• Like 27

29 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Melksham will play half-back I imagine for run-and-carry.

But really I have no idea, just throwing up some scenarios.

I know we recruited him for a half-back position, but I suspect Hunt and Hibberd have changed that.

I reckon he'll train over summer in an outside wing role.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Biffen said:

Macartney could get the best out of Lennon I reckon.

McCartney could get the best out of fringe players from GWS, Swans, Crows, Saints, even Cats, Dogs.

I hear he could even put rhythm back in some Blues.

lets not just sift the tiges.

13 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I know we recruited him for a half-back position, but I suspect Hunt and Hibberd have changed that.

I reckon he'll train over summer in an outside wing role.

Perhaps.

I'm sure Hunt's versatility is now a point of interest to the coaches and I can see him playing further up the ground.

Wait and see I guess.

10 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Maybe swap for Grimes... ie. we give nothing up !! Lennon is talented but soft

5 hours ago, AngryAtCasey said:

And Grimes is a FA, so trading him isn't an option anyway.

32 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Perhaps.

I'm sure Hunt's versatility is now a point of interest to the coaches and I can see him playing further up the ground.

Wait and see I guess.

My gut feel is that he's better behind the ball.

43 minutes ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Perhaps.

Wait and see I guess.

Yeah, see, I think he's a lot more value off half back when we get stuck back there. He'll be able to turn defence into attack in the blink of an eye, which is a vital part of our ball movement. I hope we keep him off half back.

• Like 1