Round 22 - Around the Grounds

What

2 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I feel for Toumpas because he seems like such a nice guy, sadly he just isn't suited to the AFL.

I think what makes me feel it is that it all seems to be in his head.  As a junior, clean use of the ball was apparently a feature.

It's not often I agree with the idea of a player being "Melbourned" but I reckon he was one.  The demolition job done on his confidence seems to be irreversible.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roost It said:

As soon as I saw his first interview on draft day I knew he was a dud. Sometimes you can just tell.

If it's that easy, perhaps you should consider a career in recruiting.

Yeah, thought not.

• Like 2

Just now, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

I've never seen a player have so much bad luck on the field as Toumpas; the ball just never seems to bounce his way. Sadly, doesn't look up to the intensity.

With all respect to the Toump, truly great players work through stuff like that. It's certainly more than poor luck that has resulted with Toumpas in the position he's in.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Nasher said:

I think what makes me feel it is that it all seems to be in his head.  As a junior, clean use of the ball was apparently a feature.

It's not often I agree with the idea of a player being "Melbourned" but I reckon he was one.  The demolition job done on his confidence seems to be irreversible.  

I just don't think he was ever good to begin with.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Yep. I distinctly remember thinking Neeld is killing this young bloke's confidence. He clearly isn't up to it yet, but despite this though, we kept playing him. Painful. And given Neeld's autocratic style, he probably shat all over Toumpas for every error early on.

Edited by A F

Poor Toump. He must have been a good player and showed some talent otherwise we wouldn't have picked him where we did. Unfortunately he came to us when our club was a rabble and not playing well. Im sure he left us with no confidence what so ever. I bet if he came to our club now we would see his talent because Roosy would have developed him really well. In saying that I was happy to trade him. 

Imagine if we did sneak into the finals. I know Howe left us for other reasons but god it would be funny if it was us playing in september because he wont be. He wanted to play in front of the big crowds and play forward. Well guess what that hasnt happened. 

Just now, dees189227 said:

Poor Toump. He must have been a good player and showed some talent otherwise we wouldn't have picked him where we did. Unfortunately he came to us when our club was a rabble and not playing well. Im sure he left us with no confidence what so ever. I bet if he came to our club now we would see his talent because Roosy would have developed him really well. In saying that I was happy to trade him. 

Imagine if we did sneak into the finals. I know Howe left us for other reasons but god it would be funny if it was us playing in september because he wont be. He wanted to play in front of the big crowds and play forward. Well guess what that hasnt happened. 

I heard Viney wanted to recruit Wines and Neeld overruled him, wanting outside pace and ball use...

3 minutes ago, dees189227 said:

The kid was about 30 seconds away from being fixed half way through last year.

Was playing his break out game v St Kilda at Etihad with 26 touches and a couple of goals. He had the ball on a string in the third term.

Then with less then a minute to go, he let his man Montagna drift forward and kick a goal to win the game. Any confidence the Toump would have built disappeared and the rest is history.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I just don't think he was ever good to begin with.

I disagree.  I actually thought he seemed to use the ball really well when he got it and was particularly good at spotting someone up with an inside 50 entry.  Unfortunatly, he never got enough of the pill, fumbled it way too much when he did and never really seemed to get his confidence going.

32 minutes ago, Roost It said:

As soon as I saw his first interview on draft day I knew he was a dud. Sometimes you can just tell.

It's quite an interesting topic. One notable trait of elite footballers is that they're generally intelligent people. There are obvious exceptions but the first thing i've noticed with Brayshaw and Petracca is that they were very mature and intelligent 18 year olds when i first heard their interview, i knew they'd be quality.

Edited by johndemons

3 hours ago, Cards13 said:

I know I know, ahead of ones self... Wouldn't it be amazing if we played GWS in the first final and beat them... F you Scully. 

Just win tomorrow, I know. 

I'd rather beat Geelong two weeks games in a row.

EDIT: Stupid bye.

Edited by Chook
  • Like 1

Just now, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

How good a midfield could it have been - Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Oliver, Patracca, and Wines!!

Tiring hearing this trotted out regularly; if we'd drafted Wines over Toumpas, who's to say we'd have become the basketcase we did? Who's to say we would end up with a new recruitment team led by Jason Taylor? Or Peter Jackson as CEO? Or Roos as coach? Or the 4 wins in 2014 that allowed us to draft Petracca and Brayshaw?

We'll just have to get Wines in 2 years via trade to make it a reality. :) 

1 hour ago, SaberFang said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but am I seeing Collingwood playing their manditory home game at Etihad Stadium against Gold Coast

Really...?

They get theirs against Gold Coast and we get assigned St Kilda at Etihad twice.

I really shouldn't be surprised by the transparency of AFL HQ these days, it's just amazing how they don't even hide it.

They also hosted North at Etihad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

How good a midfield could it have been - Jones, Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Oliver, Patracca, and Wines!!

Ben Kennedy might turn into our little Puopoulo when he gets back into the side RE the Toumpas trade. Maybe Wines will languish over at Port, he's hardly set the world on fire all year. 

Edited by johndemons
  • Like 1