• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Predictions?

CHF

1 hour ago, Moonshadow said:

I think Hogan will ask for a trade back home.

I'd be glad to be wrong however.

Fyffe (pending medical) and their first rounder please.

Damien Drum said they had a problem at Freo years ago and now Fyfe agrees.

Fyfe and Drum marched to a different beat.

• Like 5

We will pick up another Frost the Woods will pick up another DEE. Hogan goes to Freo, 2M Peter goes to Melbourne plus 3rd round pick,GC gets freo 1st round PICK plus 3rd round pick also steak knives to be thrown in !!!!!!!!!! perhaps a Nutribullet.

Gone-ski: Newton  Grimes  Dawes  Terlich   Max King(r) Michie (r)

In. Melksham (available) Wagner (upgrade).

Trades:

1. Hibberd & Essendon 4th round #58 swap for MFC 2nd round #30

2. Daniel McStay (Lions) & 4thHuround #59 swap for Chris Dawes & MFC 4rd round #65

3. Giants 2nd round pick #36 swap for MFC 3rd round #48, 4th round 58, 4th round 59. 

Demons get Hibberd, McStay, #36, #75 (Wagner upgrade). Use pick 36 on Hamish Brayshaw.

Rookies: young ruckman & fast fast fast vfl/sanfl/wafl player. 

On 24 August 2016 at 9:02 PM, spirit of norm smith said:

3. Giants 2nd round pick #36 swap for MFC 3rd round #48, 4th round 58, 4th round 59. 

Nope

Draft 'loophole' to remain despite some clubs' concerns

The AFL has made one change to its bidding system that will come into immediate effect this year, with clubs no longer able to access 'hidden picks' during the draft.

It means clubs will only be able to enter the draft with the number of selections that matches the available primary list positions at that time.

Last year some clubs entered the draft with more picks than they had available spots on their list. The extra picks were purely held so they could pay for academy prospects that attracted early bids. 

The rule tweak means if a club needs to use multiple selections in matching a bid, and therefore require extra selections to be filled on its list, the new draft picks would be given to the club at the back of the draft so not to impact other clubs' picks.

Clubs not being able to use 'hidden' picks means they cannot store points in late draft picks that they never intended to use.

It reduces the incentive to trade backwards in the draft and for them to accumulate a large group of picks and convert them into points.

In removing hidden picks, the AFL has stopped clubs from taking picks to the draft that they never intended on using on a player. 

Last year, the Brisbane Lions went into the draft with five spots open on their list and their first hidden draft selection was No.42. But that pick would have been forfeited under the new rules and the advantage they gained 

1 hour ago, Fifty-5 said:

Nope

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-08-22/draft-loophole-to-remain-despite-some-clubs-concern

The AFL has made one change to its bidding system that will come into immediate effect this year, with clubs no longer able to access 'hidden picks' during the draft.

It means clubs will only be able to enter the draft with the number of selections that matches the available primary list positions at that time.

Last year some clubs entered the draft with more picks than they had available spots on their list. The extra picks were purely held so they could pay for academy prospects that attracted early bids. 

The rule tweak means if a club needs to use multiple selections in matching a bid, and therefore require extra selections to be filled on its list, the new draft picks would be given to the club at the back of the draft so not to impact other clubs' picks.

Clubs not being able to use 'hidden' picks means they cannot store points in late draft picks that they never intended to use.

It reduces the incentive to trade backwards in the draft and for them to accumulate a large group of picks and convert them into points.

In removing hidden picks, the AFL has stopped clubs from taking picks to the draft that they never intended on using on a player. 

Last year, the Brisbane Lions went into the draft with five spots open on their list and their first hidden draft selection was No.42. But that pick would have been forfeited under the new rules and the advantage they gained 

Reading that gave me a headache.  I think the tl;d; version is that you can't trade picks you wouldn't have otherwise been able to use.  Seems a lot of words for a fairly simple concept.

3 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Reading that gave me a headache.  I think the tl;d; version is that you can't trade picks you wouldn't have otherwise been able to use.  Seems a lot of words for a fairly simple concept.

My understanding is you can trade for those picks but you need to delist enough players to make those picks useable. So trading a 2nd rounder for two 3rds and a 4th will still be a valid trade but it would be pointless if you dont have enough space on your list to access the 4th rounder.

I think it is crap, it just fortifys the power of the academy because now other clubs can't take advantage of a bad situation. Its not like it will stop them getting their academy players...

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

Yes, the picks clubs for academy selections must equate to list vacancies.  I think that could get restrictive when clubs have multiple academy selections like the Lions GWS did last year.  It's definitely going to force clubs to hold onto higher value early picks.  We got in once - now closed.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

My understanding is you can trade for those picks but you need to delist enough players to make those picks useable. So trading a 2nd rounder for two 3rds and a 4th will still be a valid trade but it would be pointless if you dont have enough space on your list to access the 4th rounder.

I think it is crap, it just fortifys the power of the academy because now other clubs can't take advantage of a bad situation. Its not like it will stop them getting their academy players...

It will probably just lead to rookie elevations not being automatic picks, and a bit more de-listing and re-rookie-ing, to create temporary list space for those with eligible players.

55 minutes ago, AngryAtCasey said:

It's just the AFL making things up on the run again.

I disagree, even though we benefitted, what happened last year was a distortion of of the intention of the bidding process.  

GWS used 8 picks to get 4 Academy players last year, including 34 and 40 on Kennedy at 13 and 4 picks starting at 48 on Himmelberg at 16 - they would need 8 list vacancies to do that this year and couldn't do it - they only took those 4 players.

I think the changes are sound.  I think the bidding process is a good plan overall.

Edited by Fifty-5
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2016 at 7:33 PM, Adzman said:

I expect the dees to go to the trade table and offer up our depth and picks for an impact player or player that fits better in goodies system. 

I think Goodwin will make a few changes and look to fill the last few holes with guys who will add genuine depth, rather than what is being referred to as our depth now.

Edited by A F

Predictions...

ND27&ND45 - Michael Hibberd&ND55

Chris Dawes - ND30-45

Jack Grimes to leave via Free agency

Jack Trengove to be delisted and re-rookied

and i expect us to shop around Col Garland, Lynden Dunn, Alex neal-bullen and Cam Pederson to see if there is any value out there.

• Like 1

My prediction is that Oliver will tear it up in the preseason and then Goodwin will not select him round one citing "management"...then.... Picket Fence's head will explode clean off his shoulders.....

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 7

It seems pretty clear that the generational change is on.  Grimes, Dunn and Garland are all on the outer.  Terlich and Michie as well although they are younger.  We'll try to trade for something with at least some of those.  We know they want to bring in Hibberd and upgrade some rookies.  Not sure we'll have anything much to take to the draft. 

On 20/08/2016 at 6:31 PM, ENYAW said:

DV8 If you(referring to footy players) are prepared to work yo ars. off normally it will pay dividends. ANB should realise that others are likely to overtake him unless…….. or perhaps he has reached his optimum output and will remain to be a champion VFL player.

A player with not many weapons has to learn to work harder & harder, & to increase their ability for hard work & pain, each & every season, pushing past their previous limits.

I think ANB can do this.

Or maybe if he wants to go home one day maybe we could arrange something with Port in the way of player transfer?

If we don't get Hibberd because  EFC are a.holes then we should go for Marchbant GWS which we should easily get.  St.kilda,Collingwood,Essendon will improve.Saints to make 8,Dees to finish 9th Not enough quality players and no 1st rnd draft pick to trade. Kangas will win 13 next year. Hawthorn,Geelong,Swans,Adelaide will lose one more game than this year. Dogs and Gws to finish top 4. Carlton to win 2 more games than this year. Lions and GC to fight out wooden spoon. Pt Adel and West C to drop down by 1-2 wins. Freo  3rd last. Hogan to stay for now. Viney will be Captain in 2017. 

23 minutes ago, ENYAW said:

If we don't get Hibberd because  EFC are a.holes then we should go for Marchbant GWS which we should easily get.  St.kilda,Collingwood,Essendon will improve.Saints to make 8,Dees to finish 9th Not enough quality players and no 1st rnd draft pick to trade. Kangas will win 13 next year. Hawthorn,Geelong,Swans,Adelaide will lose one more game than this year. Dogs and Gws to finish top 4. Carlton to win 2 more games than this year. Lions and GC to fight out wooden spoon. Pt Adel and West C to drop down by 1-2 wins. Freo  3rd last. Hogan to stay for now. Viney will be Captain in 2017. 

I know you're a troll but I'd love to see how you can explain North being better in 2017 than 2016.

schmutt,aren't trolls the sort of people who are nasty to others,who like to bully others. In what thread have I ever put anyone down? Highlighting something to someone doesn't make you a troll. I go on the theory everytime someone expects a team to fail or to worse off than the previous year it does not happen and when you expect a team to brak the house down at times it does not happen. Call it Murphy's law if you wish. I wait with "baited" breathe to see where you rate the teams for next year. Personally I would like to see the Dees win the flag next year,call it optomism of foolhardy whatever,the importance of where other teams  finish is not important.