Sam MaClure- "Hibberd to Melbourne, 4 year deal"

8 minutes ago, FireInTheBelly said:

I realise this is probably the wrong thread, but just building on what you're saying here - without knowing exactly what drugs were taken and what ongoing benefits these playersmay still experience, I find it unacceptable that any of the players are allowed to remain at that club. It would appear that after 1, perhaps 2, years of onfield pain they will reap the benefits of their drug program, as well as picking up the cream of this years draft crop, and potentially be able to fiddle with contracts (via compensation payouts) to cheat the salary cap. WTF didn't we think of this ten years ago, rather than going down the not-tanking path?

SO true.

"Out of court settlement", is the new Salary Cap breach.

Maybe we could have Hogan sue us for $3 million for (insert fake illness), after he signs a long term $500k p.a contract with us.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, johndemons said:

I'm sick of comments like these. Drugs aren't taken in a vacuum, they effect performance. Their 2012 performance at the beginning of the year and the subsequent confidence they got from knowing they could beat everyone was a direct result of their performance being enhanced by drugs.

This idea that they were building into a side that could challenge for a premiership without the asterix, that it was all wonderful jimmy hirds recruiting and coaching, is an illusion - It can never be seperated from the drug use and can never be attributed to their list.

As you saw above, the 'subsequent confidence' is the important factor. If they hadn't of taken the drugs, they might not have gone on a winning streak in 12 and they might not have gone anywhere near the 8 in 13 or 14. Knowing you can beat everyone would do wonders for the confidence for years to come, and that's exactly how they cheated. 

If they hadn't of taken drugs, maybe they'd be on the bottom for 2 or 3 years and most of their list would be delisted players without any collateral.

I'm a bit concerned about all of this to be honest, how good was Jobe before the drug regime and how good will he be when he gets back? Sheedy was going to delist him at one point and then he turns in to a Brownlow medalist.

How confident can we be that Hibbered will be a top liner without the drugs?

4 minutes ago, faultydet said:

SO true.

"Out of court settlement", is the new Salary Cap breach.

Maybe we could have Hogan sue us for $3 million for (insert fake illness), after he signs a long term $500k p.a contract with us.

(although i don't trust them) the afl have said they will be closely monitoring the compo payments with respect to "funny business"

what will be harder is determining how much the payout amount is related to re-signing/staying at essendrug versus leaving. one would hope the lawyers would be right on to this though (at least those who sought independent lawyers).

16 hours ago, johndemons said:

I'm sick of comments like these. Drugs aren't taken in a vacuum, they effect performance. Their 2012 performance at the beginning of the year and the subsequent confidence they got from knowing they could beat everyone was a direct result of their performance being enhanced by drugs.

This idea that they were building into a side that could challenge for a premiership without the asterix, that it was all wonderful jimmy hirds recruiting and coaching, is an illusion - It can never be seperated from the drug use and can never be attributed to their list.

As you saw above, the 'subsequent confidence' is the important factor. If they hadn't of taken the drugs, they might not have gone on a winning streak in 12 and they might not have gone anywhere near the 8 in 13 or 14. Knowing you can beat everyone would do wonders for the confidence for years to come, and that's exactly how they cheated. 

If they hadn't of taken drugs, maybe they'd be on the bottom for 2 or 3 years and most of their list would be delisted players without any collateral.

Spot on JD. They started 2012 charged right up. By Round 2-3 The Weapon was doing morning radio chats ...

They all knew exactly what was going on, which is why the silence is still an absolute disgrace

1 hour ago, ArtificialWisdom said:

Interesting i have felt a few of our forwards arn't greedy enough. Many of our players seem to look for a handball or pass before looking for the shot. This is shown by our high goal accuracy but low score efficency per i50. Players only shoot when they have heaps of time and space. Exceptions are Vanders and Bernie who seem shoot whenever they touch the ball in the forward 50.  

I'd like to see some more rushed snaps and kicks on the run. Yeah they might miss but the chain of handballs to others in the hope of more space is not working especially on repeat entrys. Very rarely do scores from repeat entrys (which we are developing more and more of) come from an open player. There was a number of times against the Eagles I saw chances for shots that were given as handballs that were immediately shut down when what we needed was a quick snap even if we had 6 more quick snaps and kicked 1.5 that would have been enough. A little over 1 extra shot per qtr.. with 70 odd inside 50s it shouldnt have been hard.

In the first qtr against the Suns Dawes had the ball 35 out almost straight infront and could have taken 2 steps and kicked on his right but instead gave it to Vandenberg who was forced to kick with his left... thats just not greedy enough! Dawes had the space, take the shot dont risk the chance going by. Too many times we get a mark inside 50 there are players looking to give it off, yeah there are times if a player is miles on his own but not often enough do players look to take the responsibility.

Watts looked to give off before settling and missing both the shots from the pocket early in the game but when he got that one in the last he had a quick glance then went back and slotted it. Yeah they arnt going to kick those every time but risking a turnover when you have a guaranteed shot should be a non-option. Just think back to round 3, thank god he hadn't tried that again! Even Kents kick to Tracc in the last I wasn't a fan of.. what if suns players had actually been switched on? Then it would have been a turn over. 

This.

It gives me the absolute screaming shits.

Sure, it's nice they want to share it around and slap each other on the back.

But sometimes, for example, it would be nice for Watts to take 3-4 more steps and bang through the goal from the pocket, rather than miskick a dinky 15 metre pass to Hogan who ends up smashing himself into the point post.

We are way, way too unselfish inside 50 which can be great, but we stuffed it up a number of times on the weekend.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Undeeterred said:

This.

It gives me the absolute screaming shits.

Sure, it's nice they want to share it around and slap each other on the back.

But sometimes, for example, it would be nice for Watts to take 3-4 more steps and bang through the goal from the pocket, rather than miskick a dinky 15 metre pass to Hogan who ends up smashing himself into the point post.

We are way, way too unselfish inside 50 which can be great, but we stuffed it up a number of times on the weekend.

Hoping they can find that balance with a little more maturity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

I too think we are a little too unselfish, I just think it is the team mentality they are trying to build that plays on their mind in situations like the Watts one.

Completely agree. And when it comes off, it's fantastic because the ball goes through a few pairs of hands and they can all get around afterwards and circle jerk each other. But it's so frustrating when it doesn't come off, which should be really rare, but isn't.

Just now, Undeeterred said:

Completely agree. And when it comes off, it's fantastic because the ball goes through a few pairs of hands and they can all get around afterwards and circle jerk each other. But it's so frustrating when it doesn't come off, which should be really rare, but isn't.

HAHA circle jerk each other...nice.

And the other one is so many times I watch opposition games and see them kick a snap after a stoppage in a congested forward line and think to myself, we would have fluffed that up trying to find the player on his own in the clear.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AzzKikA said:

And the other one is so many times I watch opposition games and see them kick a snap after a stoppage in a congested forward line and think to myself, we would have fluffed that up trying to find the player on his own in the clear.

Eddies goal on the week end, no way any of our players would have even taken that shot.. yeah it was freakish and maybe we dont have that tallent, but the thought to even try create that kind of instinct goal doesnt cross their minds. Have we seen a dribble goal from the boundry since Garletts in NAB 2? Or a brave goal in a tight space on the boundry since BenKen in round 1? Structure is required for the foundations but its those highlights that bring confidence and success.

1 hour ago, AzzKikA said:

Precisely!

1 hour ago, AzzKikA said:

I blame Chris Dawes for not providing an adequate and fast link up between the mids and the forwards.

Edited by johndemons

23 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

Bombers high-ups very confident we will give up our 2017 first round pick for him.

I really want to laugh this off but after what we gave up for Melksham, it makes me nervous. That deal set a precedent. Which is why I hated it then and still am not fully at peace with it.

God I hate dealing with [censored] Essendon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

Hurley hasn't re-upped with the Dons yet has he?

A lot of clubs have no "shown interest" via the media. The longer it goes on the more likely he'll leave. Goody/Dees must be in a good position for him if he wants out.

Would be our best recruitment since we poached Jeff White almost 20 years ago.  Wont get my hopes up though, seems to good to be true.

• Like 2