• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Michael Hibberd and Michael Hurley

P-man

17 minutes ago, DemonAndrew said:

issue is that essendon, thru dodoro, will demand a first round pick for him.

i wouldn't want to part with much more than a third rounder.

He's worth a 2nd rounder. We don't even have a first rounder this year

2 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

1 hour ago, DemonLad5 said:

He's worth a 2nd rounder. We don't even have a first rounder this year

1 hour ago, DemonAndrew said:

what about our second rounder for hibberd and their third?

Aren't all the banned Bombers free agents if they go through the legal process?

• Like 3

Very solid player, not many defenders average 23 touches per game and can lock down an opponent.  Hopefully we can get him, our backline needs to be bolstered.

36 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Very solid player, not many defenders average 23 touches per game and can lock down an opponent.  Hopefully we can get him, our backline needs to be bolstered.

100% agree. 2nd round pick would be a good result.

Having Hibberd and Melksham at HBF will release Salem to a wing which I think he will be ready for next season.

1 hour ago, stuie said:

Aren't all the banned Bombers free agents if they go through the legal process?

Yep

We would be taking another chance (Melksham being one) with an Essendon player who has had a year off. Surely there are disgrunted GWS players not getting senior time we could poach.

Hibberd might be a get

I say .. let's get a decent FB first..... afterwards..... don't care ;)

On 4/14/2016 at 1:34 PM, P-man said:

Amidst all the fuss over Triple H (Hooker, Hurley and Heppell), this bloke seems to be going under the radar in the discussion on picking at the Essendon carcass.

He is averaging 23 disposals over his last two seasons and provides essential drive from halfback for the Dons. Having elevated his game in 2013, he was in All Australian contention for an extended period and hasn't regressed much since, all things considered. 

Skilful and courageous in the air, he could be another piece of the puzzle in forming a back six that is tough, composed and reliable by foot. He's stil only 26 so young enough to be around when the club is having a tilt and old enough to provide valuable experience. He is also another left footer, for those who love the south toes.

He wouldn't come with the associated hype or price tag of the others, so a second round pick would get it done.

While appreciating that Melksham was brought to the club for a halfback role, additional competition can't hurt.

Thoughts?

Yep definate upgrade on several SLOW and EASILY OUTBODIED and POOR DECISION MAKING  defenders we currently have!!

2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

The AFLPA have agreed to this, the AFL haven't. 

My understanding was they can become free agents if they go through the legal process of showing that due to what's happened they don't want to go back to Essendon. So more of a process through the courts rather than dealing with the AFLPA or the AFL as such.

• Like 1

On 09/06/2016 at 11:18 PM, AdamFarr said:

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the banned Essendon players come back next year. Will they have lost touch? Will they run out of legs half way through the season? How will it impact on their entire season?

Gee, you would hope not. Surely, any Essendon player worth their salt would be maintaining their fitness in the knowledge they would be playing again after this season.

I think Hibberd would be great for our defence. Opposition sides will very focussed on negating forward thrusts through the flanks with both Hibberd and Salem playing there. Hopefully this will relieve the pressure on our less effective users of the ball e.g. McDonald brothers, Frost, Garland etc.

Edited by Boots and all

I don't get the "But we really need a KPD" or the "We need a gun mid more" arguments.

1. We can recruit multiple players to our club in any one off-season.

2. MH would walk into our best 22 and make us better.

3. Hopefully we would get him for nothing without paying him the world. 

It's a no brainer.

• Like 1

AFL agreed to an AFLPA clause in 2014 (as a result of the Ess saga but can apply to any player) that if a player has a grievance they need to go to the AFL Grievance Tribunal and if he can prove breach of contract will become a Delisted FAhttp://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/doping-saga-banned-dons-will-have-to-go-grievance-tribunal-to-quit-club-20160416-go7woe.html?deviceType=text

Gil says: "Players with contracts for next year, and testing them, that actually wouldn't be a decision for the AFL. It's a legal assessment about whether there is an opportunity to do it and they would go to grievance first...They will all be decisions for lawyers, not for me. It's all speculation until it's tested". 

Therein lies the catch!  It is up to the player to prove breach of contract.  With the WADA and Worksafe decisions it looks cut and dried.  But who knows?

The question is: will Hibberd be prepared to put himself through that process; risk incurring the on-going public wrath of the many pro Ess media commentators, supporters and EFC officialdom?  Especially after Ess made a fine example of Hal Hunter and showed how nasty they can be when someone takes them to court.  They also played hard ball when Ryder wanted out.  Also, will either party take an adverse AFL Grievance Tribunal decision to appeal?  

Unless another Ess banned player also goes to the Grievance Tribunal, I think MFC will want to spare Hibberd the angst and uncertainty and trade for him. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

AFL agreed to an AFLPA clause in 2014 (as a result of the Ess saga but can apply to any player) that if a player has a grievance they need to go to the AFL Grievance Tribunal and if he can prove breach of contract will become a Delisted FAhttp://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl/afl-news/doping-saga-banned-dons-will-have-to-go-grievance-tribunal-to-quit-club-20160416-go7woe.html?deviceType=text

Gil says: "Players with contracts for next year, and testing them, that actually wouldn't be a decision for the AFL. It's a legal assessment about whether there is an opportunity to do it and they would go to grievance first...They will all be decisions for lawyers, not for me. It's all speculation until it's tested". 

Therein lies the catch!  It is up to the player to prove breach of contract.  With the WADA and Worksafe decisions it looks cut and dried.  But who knows?

The question is: will Hibberd be prepared to put himself through that process; risk incurring the on-going public wrath of the many pro Ess media commentators, supporters and EFC officialdom?  Especially after Ess made a fine example of Hal Hunter and showed how nasty they can be when someone takes them to court.  They also played hard ball when Ryder wanted out.  Also, will either party take an adverse AFL Grievance Tribunal decision to appeal?  

Unless another Ess banned player also goes to the Grievance Tribunal, I think MFC will want to spare Hibberd the angst and uncertainty and trade for him. 

Unless Essendon do the honorable thing and let a justifiably disgruntled employee move on to make a fresh start. I think they may have already stated that they won't just let players walk? 

17 hours ago, DemonAndrew said:

Either you vastly underrate Hibberd, or you take an Essendon-like mindset to trading, but he is worth much much more than that.

Fortunately he may be available on a free.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, stuie said:

My understanding was they can become free agents if they go through the legal process of showing that due to what's happened they don't want to go back to Essendon. So more of a process through the courts rather than dealing with the AFLPA or the AFL as such.

It would depend if Essendon decided to fight the banned players walking out as free agents or not. If they and the AFL agree, the player can walk out. Otherwise, yes it would go to court.

• Like 1

To walk away as a FA, I'd think a player would need to start making noises now, or else Essendon could just refuse to let them go and drag it through the courts, delaying any decision until the Trade & FA period was complete, thereby getting their way. No?

A Ryder-like trade weighted to the non-Essendon side is more likely.

25 minutes ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

It would depend if Essendon decided to fight the banned players walking out as free agents or not. If they and the AFL agree, the player can walk out. Otherwise, yes it would go to court.

That's the thing.

I'm all for getting him for free from that mob, but they have already displayed to all and sundry, that dragging things out through court is their preferred tactic. If Hibberd (or Hurley) wanted to join another club, they would need to get things rolling very soon, to have a chance of leaving whatsoever.

I have no doubt that essedon will demand a first round pick equivalent , or a player like Salem etc. Lets take him for nicks, and keep the pick for someone else. 

Edited by faultydet
Grammar
  • Like 1

I don't know enough of the intricacies, as that sort of detail has never interested me, however, Worsfold has already publicly stated that he won't stand in the way of a player if they want to leave.  It's a pragmatic and correct approach under the circumstances.  He will only want committed players in 2017.

I don't know if we'd have to trade, etc., but I don't believe Essendon will stand in the way of a player (Hibberd) wanting to leave.

• Like 2

Let's find out.....

So that's  one Hibberd and a Hurley to go thanks !!?

• Like 2