Should the AFL lead on Social Issues

Diamond_Jim

On 15 July 2016 at 7:43 PM, daisycutter said:

and there was all those seedy joints in st kilda where you could drink to midnight if you bought a meal, so they sold a $2 plate of a cold chicken wing (was probably about 20c though in those days)

Wasn't just St Kilda. They were everywhere.  And one never looked at a bouncer askance unless they wanted a pummelling.

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

LGBTQIA is now the new LGBTI

anyone like to forecast when the seven-letter-acronym (7LA) becomes a ten-letter-acronym (10LA)?

Makes me scratch my head when groups who want to be considered as normal feel the need to give themselves labels to differentiate themselves. There should be a ban against labelling. Everyone should be called normal. 

Edited by america de cali
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Makes me scratch my head when groups who want to be considered as normal feel the need to give themselves labels to differentiate themselves. There should be a ban against labelling. Everyone should be called normal. 

I don't know anyone who is adc.

Can you enlighten me please?

9 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Anyone capable of excreting bodily waste and cultivating BO?

Not sure I want to be in the same group  as terrorists and Putin adc

• Like 1

9 hours ago, old dee said:

Now that is one I could support Biffen but I won't be holding my breath.

what colours should we adopt?

Royal Purple and Establishment Blue in the face.

On 14/07/2016 at 9:23 AM, Chris said:

The Indigenous round and multicultural round are about changing awareness for issues, which in turn changes attitudes and behavior. I can't see the difference int eh destiction you have made.

In my mind the Indigenous round has been the most important within this country, & beneficial to indigenous people.

And I do like the new initiative for the Womens game.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Not sure how many of you have been following the sporting protests relating to "Black Deaths Matter" initiated by Colin Kapaernik of the NFL and now followed by others but that is an example of how it should be done when it comes to changing social values.

Below is a good article about how the NBA are considering how to embrace this movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/sep/22/nba-black-players-protests-adam-silver-lebron-james

Perhaps what I like about these protests is that they are player lead and come without the feeling that the league is just trying to be PC which is what I feel when I see  the AFL adopting some causes.

• Like 2

On 26 August 2016 at 9:13 PM, johndemonic said:

It's the racists, xenophobes and homophobes that are bringing their politics into the ground, not the other way around. So Yes, The AFL should lead aka respond to the social issues that people continue bringing into the stadium.

Somehow we need to encourage more Queenslanders into the game .

It's AFL policy you see.

On 21/07/2016 at 8:53 AM, america de cali said:

You have labelled yourself as a Colombian soccer team, is there a reasoning behind that?

"Republicans buy sneakers, too." Michael Jordan said this when approached by a friend to donate to a Democratic candidate. 

On 8/26/2016 at 5:16 PM, daisycutter said:

So she should. Modern progressivism is really just a melting pot of feel good-ness. Nothing much gets done, dare I say things tend to get worse, and stuff just generally evolves and improves naturally as conditions and just the path of life as it changes. Then the do-gooders pat themselves on the back and send out a few tweets congratulating themselves because they think that what they did contributed to the change. The hypocrisy is glowingly obvious almost all the time, and what we've seen is a separation between "to be progressive" and "to be A progressive", and that most self-proclaimed "progressives" are just narcissists looking to either make themselves feel better, or make other people feel worse.

If Sydney really gave a [censored] and believed it what it's doing beyond it being merely a PR exercise, it wouldn't have entered into this agreement.

The almighty dollar, ladies and gentlemen! No one really gives a [censored] about your feelings or "identity". They just say they do for the temporary boost of self-worth. "I'M MAKING A CHANGING". No you're not: I'm pretty sure gays are still being hanged from buildings and stoned in the Middle East. But, hey, wear your rainbow badge and sip some champagne on the balcony of your South Yarra apartment: you've had it tough, man, all oppressed and [censored]. I hear someone might call you nasty names! Poor baby!

Collective outrage and progress is tiring. Be yourself. And if anyone doesn't like, punch them in the [censored] throat.

Edited by praha
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

You have labelled yourself as a Colombian soccer team, is there a reasoning behind that?

Not exactly a label. Just what I call myself. I had a long past ancestor who played and coached for them. One of the most successful and colourful clubs in the Colombian league with a history that in some ways loosely mirrors ours. They call themselves the Red Devils and briefly wore our colours in the past. Currently languishing in the second division. They have won 13 titles and were once rated the second best soccer team in the world. They were denied a chance to win the 1989 title when the referee from the first leg of the title deciders against Nacional Medellin then controlled by drug baron Pablo Escobar was murdered for perceived favouritism to ADC. The title was then cancelled for the year. Later ADC  was controlled by the drug barons Rodriguez brothers and the club was put on the Clinton List for being linked to the drug trade and had its international funds frozen, made a pariah and eventually forced to near bankruptcy. That's what happens when the wrong people run sporting clubs. Will eventually get sorted out and be great again.

29 minutes ago, america de cali said:

Not exactly a label. Just what I call myself. I had a long past ancestor who played and coached for them. One of the most successful and colourful clubs in the Colombian league with a history that in some ways loosely mirrors ours. They call themselves the Red Devils and briefly wore our colours in the past. Currently languishing in the second division. They have won 13 titles and were once rated the second best soccer team in the world. They were denied a chance to win the 1989 title when the referee from the first leg of the title deciders against Nacional Medellin then controlled by drug baron Pablo Escobar was murdered for perceived favouritism to ADC. The title was then cancelled for the year. Later ADC  was controlled by the drug barons Rodriguez brothers and the club was put on the Clinton List for being linked to the drug trade and had its international funds frozen, made a pariah and eventually forced to near bankruptcy. That's what happens when the wrong people run sporting clubs. Will eventually get sorted out and be great again.

sounds like they got a dose of the essingtons

On 23/09/2016 at 5:09 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

Not sure how many of you have been following the sporting protests relating to "Black Deaths Matter" initiated by Colin Kapaernik of the NFL and now followed by others but that is an example of how it should be done when it comes to changing social values.

Below is a good article about how the NBA are considering how to embrace this movement.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2016/sep/22/nba-black-players-protests-adam-silver-lebron-james

Perhaps what I like about these protests is that they are player lead and come without the feeling that the league is just trying to be PC which is what I feel when I see  the AFL adopting some causes.

White racism or not enough black fathers ?

When it comes to black American issues in the United States single parent mothers is a bigger issue than racism.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Satyriconhome said:

Good story ADC puts some of the whinging on here into perspective, I knew it coz I follow soccer, perhaps we should put up the whole story of Escobar, but afraid it might give some of the less tolerant on here ideas shoukd Jesse request a trade

Well I hope not, but there are nutters everywhere. In Central, South America football politics have always been only one or or two degrees less violent than civil war for the most. If posters acted like they talk on forums in real life things might be just as crazy.