The Jesse Hogan Panic Room - all contract talk here

Grapeviney

We need to play WCE and Freo against each other in demanding an established mid and a first round,"Weller or Fyfe or we trade him to WCE, etc."  They have 2 elite midfielders and 0 elite Forwards. It's not rocket science that they should give one up. I don't know how McArthy throws this out of whack though, lessens our bargaining power? They'd have to give Taberner, Another B grade mid (Barlow?) and first round? Throw in Alex Silvagni for a very late pick too or Dunn/Garland while they're at it.

(if he wants to go.)

Edited by DominatrixTyson
  • Like 1

Jay Clark, who is easily the most reliable breaker of MFC related news, was 98% certain Hogan would stay earlier in the year. His most recent piece is very much 50/50.

West Coast interested in poaching Jesse Hogan from Melbourne

"But despite the Dees’ strong on-field progress this season and significant salary cap room, Hogan may now wait to consider each team’s direction in the early part of next season before he is prepared to give his contract more consideration."

He can seriously [censored] off now if that's what he's planning to do. Auction him off to one of the Perth clubs and end up with early picks + Darling/Weller.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Sylvia Saint said:

He can seriously [censored] off now if that's what he's planning to do. Auction him off to one of the Perth clubs and end up with early picks + Darling/Weller.

If we do Hogan for Softy Darling, the Dees may as well quit the comp, or apply to the AFL to become the competition's primary feeder club.

• Like 3

Can't stand Barrett but he usually has good info. Either Jesse has literally told no one but his family and manager his intentions, or he still hasn't made up his mind.

It is very sad that Jesse's father is not well.  But increasingly his return to WA is looking less about family and more about Jesse!  

"...But despite the Dees’ strong on-field progress this season and significant salary cap room, Hogan may now wait to consider each team’s direction in the early part of next season before he is prepared to give his contract more consideration...Fremantle has been widely considered the main rival for Hogan, but Eagles’ football chief Craig Vozzo yesterday said the Eagles had also been circling the powerhouse big man for years...“We have been in constant dialogue with his management over a long period of time,” Vozzo said.

Surely, he knows enough to not need to wait till 'the early part of next season'.  If that is correct it is disappointing that Jesse keeps moving the goal posts with seemingly little concern for the interests of MFC.  He has us on a string...

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 4

I think that so long as he is torn, he is more likely to stay.

Scully, Frawley, guys like Franklin, Dangerfield, they knew they were going.

Hogan is obviously in a bind and if the move is exclusively about going home to be with a sick father over a long-term proposition to stay with mates at the Dees, you'd think his family would have the long-term prospects for their son and sibling in mind. 

It's pretty clear this is a deeply personal decision and not just a matter of wanting more money or having a mansion on the beach in the home city.

If the driving factors here are as they've been told, you'd imagine the family would encourage him to stay where he's happy. 

Me personally? I think it would be a shocking business decision to go to Perth. I'm biased, obviously, but he seems like a "big smoke" kind of guy who could very well become the next Wayne Carey (in terms of exposure and business prospects). Not to say he can't have that in Perth, but Hogan's image belongs in Hollywood, not the most isolated city on Earth.

• Like 1

Caro, Matthews and others were discussing Hogan on 3AW today. 

Caro thought he was gone and others thought 50/50 but all based on speculation rather than "facts". 

They then discussed why he would want to go back home. They talked of all the usual WA stuff and even a thought that Jesse was a "different cat", but not once was there any mention of illness or any other issues in the family. Not even any broad generalisations in that direction. 

That struck me a strange because surely journos get a lot more info than we do. OK, they may have a pact to not talk about it out of respect to the family but if so why go to lengths to discuss other reasons? Why not just skip the reasons? 

It just didn't make much sense to me ... anyway make what you want out of it.

• Like 4

It sounds to me as if we are putting pressure on him to make a decision: stay (extend your contract) or be traded (decide you want to go).

I don't mind this approach herbalist especially as I couldn't stand this sort of contract and media [censored] running into next year. 

But if his dad is actually this sick AND we are pushing him to extend, or could work against us. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, deanox said:

It sounds to me as if we are putting pressure on him to make a decision: stay (extend your contract) or be traded (decide you want to go).

I don't mind this approach herbalist especially as I couldn't stand this sort of contract and media [censored] running into next year. 

But if his dad is actually this sick AND we are pushing him to extend, or could work against us. 

This is the approach we need to take at this time of the year. If his father is seriously ill, factor it into the negotiations but really, if we leave it until next year and he wants out we will be absolutely shafted.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, deanox said:

It's a business. If his dad is the reason he is undecided, then it is probably better than we force him into a trade. It is a ruthless industry and ultimately the club has been [censored] over too many times and must get this sorted. It may involve us making a decision for him. IMO if he can't commit within the next few weeks, we need to move on. Because if we linger around and he puts of chatter, we have another year of this and ultimately we have less power at the trade and compensation table because he is out of contract. We come out of it good anyway, but imo this needs to be sorted before Christmas. Both Freo and WC are ready to deal *now*. We may be limited next year. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Caro, Matthews and others were discussing Hogan on 3AW today. 

Caro thought he was gone and others thought 50/50 but all based on speculation rather than "facts". 

They then discussed why he would want to go back home. They talked of all the usual WA stuff and even a thought that Jesse was a "different cat", but not once was there any mention of illness or any other issues in the family. Not even any broad generalisations in that direction. 

That struck me a strange because surely journos get a lot more info than we do. OK, they may have a pact to not talk about it out of respect to the family but if so why go to lengths to discuss other reasons? Why not just skip the reasons? 

It just didn't make much sense to me ... anyway make what you want out of it.

The only 'info source' we have is a GNF post last week that the outlook for Jesse's father was dire.  And I'm not sure he is that reliable a source. 

I'd be inclined to go with the journos and the press ie the decision to return to WA will not be made on family matters.

• Like 3