All aboard the Oliver Express

2 hours ago, Webber said:

Jesse Hogan's father told me last year that next to Jack Viney, Salem has the hardest head and least fear of anybody else on the list. 

Unfortunately Jack felt the need to prove this and knocked him senseless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jnrmac said:

He's in the thick of things. He can hardly avoid contact. And besides he is fearless and clearly loves contact they will soon learn to get out of his way. Love it.

correct - his hit on Prestia was magic - fair, hard and legal. The problem for me is not Oliver - the problem for me is the adjudicating of the MRP. The swing tackle Oliver did in the NAB - that was an interpretation that was new and IMO made on the fly. It wasn't two motions nor were the arms pinned. Yet he was fined. 

Bookmark this post - Oliver will raise the ire of MRP. He will raise do this because he goes in so hard and he will hurt someone and the MRP will not judge it on the deed but judge it on the outcome as they tend to do.

• Like 1

i didnt think there was anything that could make me dislike Clayton, then the name of this thread came about.

Clarry Choo Choo? wtf, every time I read it makes me shake my head.

Regardless, his ability to be clean below his knees is awesome and this is not something that will have come natural it would have been coached, his vision is what is natural and exceptional

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mach5 said:

I think by mid-season we could see the kid get tagged. He just initiates so much for us.

A tag? Pfft. In all seriousness though, the kid has the game-style and tools to negate a tag. A tag generally works best when the tagger scrags and blocks the run or applies the tackle in the instant the ball is collected (see Demon-combo on Ablett 2013? and Viney on Ablett last year). Oliver doesn't get knocked off the line, stands up and raises his arms in the tackle, and needs very little run, time and space to assess and execute.

CLARRY CHOO CHOO ( PS DONT YA LOVE THE RED/ORANGE ANGULAR SEEMLESS, LINES) AND IN BREATHTAKING FASHION THE CHOO CHOO TRAIN JUST POWERS ON!  WOW!!

16626388-Isolated-vector-of-modern-high-

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1

And just as an aside Clarry Choo Choo will be a much better player across a career than Parrish, Curnow and anyone else you would like to name from last years draft!

46 minutes ago, picket fence said:

And just as an aside Clarry Choo Choo will be a much better player across a career than Parrish, Curnow and anyone else you would like to name from last years draft!

I love Oliver as much as the next success starved Melbourne supporter but Jacob Weitering looks truly amazing. To do the stuff he is doing in an under siege Carlton backline is nothing short of phenomenal 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2016 at 0:34 PM, picket fence said:

CLARRY CHOO CHOO ( PS DONT YA LOVE THE RED/ORANGE ANGULAR SEEMLESS, LINES) AND IN BREATHTAKING FASHION THE CHOO CHOO TRAIN JUST POWERS ON!  WOW!!

16626388-Isolated-vector-of-modern-high-

I ah have been away for a while have I missed anyting??

CLARRY CHOO CHOO saarrnnnnnnnnnn

Welcome aboard the Demon Renaissance!!

Ahhh Uncle Bitters, that does feel better,, getting that of my chest!!

Edited by picket fence

1 minute ago, picket fence said:

I agree with your sentiments picket - but you're [censored] up!

• Like 2

On 11/05/2016 at 1:58 PM, fndee said:

I love Oliver as much as the next success starved Melbourne supporter but Jacob Weitering looks truly amazing. To do the stuff he is doing in an under siege Carlton backline is nothing short of phenomenal 

I find what Oliver is doing more extraordinary. 

Weitering is a ready-made gun.  His intercept marking, reading of the play, maturity and calmness is almost unprecedented for a young tall, but Oliver's story is just as compelling, if not more so. 

Oliver's poise, vision, clean hands, ability to execute under pressure and phenomenal decision making under immense heat is incredible for an 18 year old in his first year.  He doesn't fumble and rarely makes a mistake.  This time last year he wasn't going to be drafted. 

Oliver plays in the most physically demanding area on the ground.  There's rarely a respite from bruising contested ball.  Over 50% of his possessions are contested.  Weitering plays behind the ball, which is far easier. 

Btw, I'm not knocking the ex-Demon supporting kid Weitering, who looks like a future hall of famer, but I reckon Oliver's exploits are even more extraordinary given the circumstances and position he plays.  

If anything, Clarrie deserves more plaudits than he's getting. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Weitering is a ready-made gun.  His intercept marking, reading of the play, maturity and calmness is almost unprecedented for a young tall, but Oliver's story is just as compelling, if not more so. 

Oliver's poise, vision, clean hands, ability to execute under pressure and phenomenal decision making under immense heat is incredible for an 18 year old in his first year.  He doesn't fumble and rarely makes a mistake.  This time last year he wasn't going to be drafted. 

Oliver plays in the most physically demanding area on the ground.  There's rarely a respite from bruising contested ball.  Over 50% of his possessions are contested.  Weitering plays behind the ball, which is far easier. 

Btw, I'm not knocking the ex-Demon supporting kid Weitering, who looks like a future hall of famer, but I reckon Oliver's exploits are even more extraordinary given the circumstances and position he plays.  

Agree. The kid is sensational, for a 5 game player, in the hottest part of the game, the scrum. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ProDee said:

If anything, Clarrie Choo Choo deserves more plaudits than he's getting. 

Get it right Ben!

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

That's the second time I've read that Weitering supported Melbourne. I might just make up a porkie to worry my Carlton supporting mate. Something along the lines of 'lots of talk around that Weitering will request a trade to Melbourne at the end of his first contract - comes from a diehard Melbourne-supporting family'. That ought to shut up those Blues for a few days. :P

And completely agree about Oliver. The midfield is where it's at. The pressure is always on. His poise and clean hands are unprecedented at Melbourne in my 28 years. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

Whole heartedly agree with all of the above. He is the real deal and in my time of watching footy one of the most impressive first half dozen games of a career, particularly at Melbourne. In addition to his his attributes you note i'd add his sheer want for the ball and competitiveness is outstanding. And he just seems to love it out there. 

His composure and AFL readiness is all the more amazing given he was a late bloomer and didn't play the number of TAC games as say a Weitering did (who as you say is also the real deal).

I am so wrapt we went for him over parish, which is no knock on Darcy as he also looks also like he'll be a gun (though Oliver is ahead atm). 2015 Could end up being a fantastic draft.

• Like 2

On 11/05/2016 at 1:58 PM, fndee said:

Oliver = Michael Voss

Weitering = Jared Rivers

• Like 3

9 hours ago, picket fence said:

Did you get it off your chest or onto it...

• Like 2

About the same version of Rivers with a touch of Sam Frost about him< That is, if Sam played the position he should in the backline!!

On 5/19/2016 at 5:14 AM, Petraccattack said:

Oliver = Michael Voss

Weitering = Jared Rivers

I see a lot of Patty Cripps in Oliver, just how clean he is in close and how he always seems to get a handball out, but i think he'll end up being a Chris Judd- type player, he has that break away pace.

Weitering is really interesting, he's a gun and all class but i can't see him being a genuine key back in the way Alex Rance is, more the third tall who sets up a lot of the play, he's going to be a 250 game future captain of the club though.

I personally think we got the better player of the two, and my massive call is, Weiderman will be a better player than both in my very honest opinion, he is a great talent.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Peter Griffen said:

I personally think we got the better player of the two, and my massive call is, Weiderman will be a better player than both in my very honest opinion, he is a great talent.

Massive call...hope you're right.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2016 at 10:49 PM, Wells 11 said:

Massive call...hope you're right.

I watched him play against the Northern Blues last year before he was drafted and he had 11 contested marks in the first half coming off an injury interupted year, i said to the mate i was with, this kid is going to be a freak! was ecstatic when we drafted him.

• Like 1