MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 7

Demonland

2 minutes ago, Nasher said:

When our defence was being torn apart, the answer from the box was to get Dunn out of there and throw Pedersen back. It's hard to know the full picture when you're not in the box, but being thrown out of defence and then the side tells me plenty. 

Pretty telling you would think.

11 minutes ago, McQueen said:

I think you'll find that as much as aspiring to play finals is for the club, an equal amount will be focused on getting games into the youngsters that will take the club forward.

Matt Jones, Dunn, Grimes and similar blokes just aren't in that frame - regardless of how well they've performed in the Magoo's or whether they just have an 'off week.'

I think we were very lucky to beat GWS and our other two wins against Tiges and Pies was against ordinary opposition.

Get games into the youngsters and reap the benefits next season.

So he probably shouldn't be replaced by Garland then. At least Dunn can use his body and is a nice kick

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Baffling team selections.. Cannot believe we brought in a plodder in Garland who drops his head as soon as the 1st goal is kicked. What happened to picking players based on a solid form at Casey? They have a 199cm tall forward in Lynch and 202cm CHF in Peter Wright who like Daniher takes his marks out stretch. So what do we do? Bring in the 191cm 3rd tall defender.

If we are going to drop Dunn then why not bring in the future in Oscar McDonald who would have been the perfect test for Wright as both in their 2nd years of AFL (McDonald towled up Peter Wright big time in a TAC game in 2014) If not then at least put Frost down back FFS..We drafted specifically to replace Frawley yet we are trying to turn him into Buddy Frankling! 

Why has James Harmes still in the side yet ANB misses out. Harmes has been poor the last couple of weeks at half forward. Was lazy last week and more interested in argueing with the umps instead of chasing his man. ANB not only can play up forward but he can go in the midfield and give Jones and Viney a chop out.

Another week where selections will bite us in the ass. 

Cannot wait for Roosy to come and say we picked the wrong players for this week.

Summed up in a nutshell. [censored] me dead a PE teacher could've chosen a better side. 

• Like 1

I still have no idea which Melbourne will turn up this week. As long as it is the one that runs and gets back to avoid multiple free goals, then we are half a chance.

Melbourne are a lot like my golf game, goes missing for large patches, inconsistent, mind boggling - but then amazing for short bursts.

• Like 1

Those saying ANB needs to push out Oliver, Viney, Vince, Jones, etc. have forgotten that he played as a dangerous forward last year.  IMO Kent and Harmes are very lucky.  Harmes was very average last week and Kent has played maybe 6 good quarters in 6 matches.  I reckon ANB would have given just as much as either of those two.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hells bells said:

Those saying ANB needs to push out Oliver, Viney, Vince, Jones, etc. have forgotten that he played as a dangerous forward last year.  IMO Kent and Harmes are very lucky.  Harmes was very average last week and Kent has played maybe 6 good quarters in 6 matches.  I reckon ANB would have given just as much as either of those two.

Exactly, he doesn't need to push out anyone. But Stevie Wonder could see that Neal Bullen would add more to the side then Harmes as his ability to win the ball in the midfield and his huge work rate and endurance is suited more to the 90 interchange cap.

2 hours ago, Vineytime said:

He hasn't earnt a game yet, simple. His pre season was poor and there is other players in front of him at this stage. 

Not sure that's right. He had a knee injury that took him a while to get over. Didn't play NAB Cup. So his pre-season wasn't "poor". And he has done everything right in the last 3 games in particular.

1 minute ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Exactly, he doesn't need to push out anyone. But Stevie Wonder could see that Neal Bullen would add more to the side then Harmes as his ability to win the ball in the midfield and his huge work rate and endurance is suited more to the 90 interchange cap.

Yeah sorry DD36 I read your post after posting my own.  Seems we are on the same page.  Hope we're both proven wrong on Saturday.

17 of this 22 played in our win over GWS. Missing from that game are Salem, Vandenberg, Matt Jones (all injured) Frost and Oscar (emergency tomorrow). Replacements are Petracca, Michie, Wagner, Hunt & Stretch. I look at it this way... Petracca for Vandenberg, Stretch for M Jones, Michie for Salem, Wagner for Oscar Mac, Hunt for Frost. Given that it is a twilight game in dewy conditions I don't see why there is such hostility about selection 

• Like 3

I also don't get why we need to wait for Trengove to say his ready. It's his last year on a contract and he hasn't played in two years. If fitness staff deem him fit then he should play. I acknowledge the situation however what's the point of having him on our list for us to twiddle our thumbs for him to decide he feels like playing AFL

Wish my boss told me I didn't have to work until I told him I was ready. 

2 minutes ago, olisik said:

I also don't get why we need to wait for Trengove to say his ready. It's his last year on a contract and he hasn't played in two years. If fitness staff deem him fit then he should play. I acknowledge the situation however what's the point of having him on our list for us to twiddle our thumbs for him to decide he feels like playing AFL

Wish my boss told me I didn't have to work until I told him I was ready. 

Agree. Trengove strikes me as the type who would take the easy way out. That's probably why he was the youngest ever captain of an AFL club because of his dodgy character. 

• Like 6

Dunn for Garland is a good change IMO. Dunn lacks the athleticism to play our zone defence. He is finished under the current game plan. Garland was poor at the start of the year, but hopefully his form has improved.

Michie and Stretch for Salem and Lumumba make sense given they were both good in the VFL.

Oliver for Frost gives us some more ball winning ability in the midfield.

ANB is a bit stiff, but he doesn't add a lot of outside run and is inferior to our inside mids. And Michie's form has been better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, fndee said:

Agree. Trengove strikes me as the type who would take the easy way out. That's probably why he was the youngest ever captain of an AFL club because of his dodgy character. 

This discussion shall be continued...

3 minutes ago, jumbo returns said:

Sarcasm meter a bit low there, fndee :)

If we have a #2 draft pick consistently getting BOGs in the VFL and dominating and is fit while we have other players struggling to get a touch in the firsts then it is a no brainer.

We are fluffing around too much. Get the best in period. We want to win, we want to make finals. 

4 minutes ago, olisik said:

If we have a #2 draft pick consistently getting BOGs in the VFL and dominating and is fit while we have other players struggling to get a touch in the firsts then it is a no brainer.

We are fluffing around too much. Get the best in period. We want to win, we want to make finals. 

Hang in there......he'll get a game soon.

I can't wait for #9 to run onto the G.....

1 hour ago, stevethemanjordan said:

Dunn is taller than Garland... . 

Hooly dooly. That one centimetre really comes in handy! Dunn is terrible overhead. Garland can at least mark and cover the ground which is what you need in a zone defence.

Frost is another who despite his height struggles to catch the bloody thing. Five possessions last week of which half were turned over. Such form can never be rewarded. Both of them can't do what they're asked and have paid the price. Simple.

Edited by dee-tox
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

But Stevie Wonder could see that Neal Bullen would add more to the side then Harmes

Well no. The idea that ANB is going to come in and make a big difference is just santa claus stuff. Yes, he might ... but it's only a might, nothing more.

So many of these critical comments re selection are based on assumptions, many of them unfounded. If we win - or lose - this, it'll have nothing to do with selection.

2 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Well no. The idea that ANB is going to come in and make a big difference is just santa claus stuff. Yes, he might ... but it's only a might, nothing more.

So many of these critical comments re selection are based on assumptions, many of them unfounded. If we win - or lose - this, it'll have nothing to do with selection.

Try as I might bing I cannot see how you can make the statement that it will have nothing to do with selection.

on that basis we could play any combination of the 43 and the result would be the same.

16 minutes ago, olisik said:

its not a no brainer at all when the said #2 pick is coming off a very serious career threatening injury and is probably still gaining confidence in his foot

He will come in when hes ready, its the right call to leave it up to him

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bing181 said:

Nobody is suggesting he is going to come in and dominate. People are just wondering why he isn't being rewarded for consistent performances in the VFL, when others are in the side after one good game for Casey i.e. Stretch, Garland etc.

• Like 1