Training - Friday 22 April, 2016

MadAsHell

18 minutes ago, ProDee said:

I didn't like the idea and Roos himself admitted he's not sure if he needs one just that they're conservative with young players and learnt from Brayshaw last year.

I remain unconvinced it's necessary.  

Don't discount the possibility that "resting" Oliver is code for "omitting" him. Someone had to make way for Vince and Garlett (if he plays). Demonland is full of suggestions as to how to do that with no-one really being convinced that anyone who played against Collingwood should be dropped. Matt Jones "soreness" is possibly genuine given the sore ribs he apparently received last week. Oliver had a poor game compared with his previous performances and compared with the other 21 who played. It's quite possible that Oliver was left out because (a) he was arguably the least impressive last week; (b) he plays less game time than everyone else which puts extra pressure on the others - particularly given the interchange cap; and (c) a view that resting him is not necessarily a bad thing to do.  

• Like 1

Petracca can wait: Roos

"Roos said the club thought Petracca would need to play at least four weeks of VFL after returning from a knee reconstruction and a broken toe, and despite his good form last week against Collingwood's VFL team, he had still only played three consecutive games."

Edited by stuie

5 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Great news regarding Jeffy!

hopefully he runs rings around Jeffy!

The Tigers really struggle with contianing small forwards, this is a big opportunity for Jeff and Kent to get off the leash

Its all about how CP5 responds now. He can sook in the VFL and miss even more weeks, or bang down the door completely to confirm his spot for round 6.

Garlett in the side brings more to the team, but I am disappointed we wont see trac on the big stage,

• Like 4

I was really hoping to be seeing Petracca out there on Sunday but the players in the current 22 have done nothing to warrant being dropped and I think it is absolutely brilliant that there is real competition for spots. 

The message is out: perform or we've got people waiting to replace you!

Edited by Pates
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Don't discount the possibility that "resting" Oliver is code for "omitting" him. Someone had to make way for Vince and Garlett (if he plays). Demonland is full of suggestions as to how to do that with no-one really being convinced that anyone who played against Collingwood should be dropped. Matt Jones "soreness" is possibly genuine given the sore ribs he apparently received last week. Oliver had a poor game compared with his previous performances and compared with the other 21 who played. It's quite possible that Oliver was left out because (a) he was arguably the least impressive last week; (b) he plays less game time than everyone else which puts extra pressure on the others - particularly given the interchange cap; and (c) a view that resting him is not necessarily a bad thing to do.  

I am firmly in the camp that they learned from the Brayshaw experience  - whilst I don't rely solely on stats  - you can see last year that Brayshaw built quite nicely for the first 12 weeks and then his numbers did start to slide. Watching the games I also thought his impact lessened and Roos has admitted that thought he was played too much.

I think I would prefer to see first year players ( in particualr pure onballers like Oliver) played in blocks. A number of games and then a week off ( I suggest including a week off from Casey) to completely refresh the body.

We hear from seasoned footballers what the one week break does for them mid season - it would have even more benefit to younger less hardened body. 

If we a blessed enough to play finals this year I would want a fresh firing Oliver in the 22 - not a tired body that has played 22 games and looks spent as Brayshaw did at the end of last season. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Don't discount the possibility that "resting" Oliver is code for "omitting" him.  

It did cross my mind that it was a Roos ruse, which serves multiple purposes, i.e. it's gentle on Oliver, they only want him out for a week, it was a very difficult selection week, it gives his body a freshen up.

There are lots of reasons to omit him under the guise of a "rest". 

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, sisso said:

Some real depth now when you consider we've still got a player the quality of Jack Trengove to find a spot for too if he gets back to his best

I spoke to someone who watched Casey last weekend and said they thought he looks very slow. 

Just now, It's Time said:

I spoke to someone who watched Casey last weekend and said they thought he looks very slow. 

That will be his biggest challenge if/when he breaks into the 22, the pace of the game is faster than what it was when he first got injured and while there are plenty of people from his draft year playing good football, they have had the benefit of seeing the game develop and developing with it.

Just now, Clint Bizkit said:

Leg speed or just in general movement?

Leg speed. Skills, awareness etc great but no leg speed. Maybe he just needs time or maybe that loss of leg speed a few years ago wasn't due to the foot. I've got my fingers crossed. I must say from the bits of the Casey footage I've watched he does look pretty slow. Also watched him at the preseason intra match and he looked slow there but I put that down to first game back. Hopefully its just a matter of building up the running time in games. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pates said:

That will be his biggest challenge if/when he breaks into the 22, the pace of the game is faster than what it was when he first got injured and while there are plenty of people from his draft year playing good football, they have had the benefit of seeing the game develop and developing with it.

I think the cap has made endurance more important than speed and he has elite endurance. He can also read the game and anticipate where to run to ahead of time. However, there still has to be a minimum amount of speed for a runner like him. Just hope he gets it back. 

8 minutes ago, ProDee said:

It did cross my mind that it was a Roos rues, which serves multiple purposes, i.e. it's gentle on Oliver, they only want him out for a week, it was a very difficult selection week, it gives his body a freshen up.

There are lots of reasons to omit him under the guise of a "rest". 

5 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

*ruse

I can see the headline now. After saying Petracca only plays if Garlett does not, Melbourne plays Garlett and Petracca and it goes pear-shaped leading the Herald Sun to write "Roos rues ruse". Just a pity it's not against North Melbourne which would have allowed the inclusion of an extra 'Roos'

• Like 12

1 minute ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I can see the headline now. After saying Petracca only plays if Garlett does not, Melbourne plays Garlett and Petracca and it goes pear-shaped leading the Herald Sun to write "Roos rues ruse". Just a pity it's not against North Melbourne which would have allowed the inclusion of an extra 'Roos'

Don't like this post. It demonstrates an unacceptable level of literacy. Please delete.

• Like 8