Jack Watts' Game

Demonated

2 hours ago, mo64 said:

I'm wondering when our coaches come to the realisation that Frost isn't a forward. He doesn't have the smarts to use his athleticism to get to contests, and doesn't have much natural ability full stop. Replace O Mac with him as a permament backman, and give Dunn a crack up forward. Use Pedersen as a 2nd ruck/forward.

Watts and Hogan are smart players, but neither Pedersen or Frost complement them.

Watch the last quarter on Saturday mate?

Hogan, Watts and Frost forward, Pedersen out of the way in the backline.

21 points down, came back to win. You could say that the forward line worked ok....

3 minutes ago, stuie said:

Watch the last quarter on Saturday mate?

Hogan, Watts and Frost forward, Pedersen out of the way in the backline.

21 points down, came back to win. You could say that the forward line worked ok....

You're kidding me. Frost contributed nothing other than getting out of the way. Hogan, Watts and VDB were the architects. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mo64 said:

You're kidding me. Frost contributed nothing other than getting out of the way. Hogan, Watts and VDB were the architects. 

Again, look at it as a package, not player by player. I don't think you're totally getting my point about that, and I already said he didn't have a great game.

We were down by 21 points and with that lineup the forward line kicked and we won, that should tell you something.

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

that watt's baulk, blind turn then handball to avdb was a thing of beauty. could watch it all day

reminded me of schwarter in his nureyev period

didn't mind the inside-out slipaway from the tackle on the wing either

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mo64 said:

I'm wondering when our coaches come to the realisation that Frost isn't a forward. He doesn't have the smarts to use his athleticism to get to contests, and doesn't have much natural ability full stop. Replace O Mac with him as a permament backman, and give Dunn a crack up forward. Use Pedersen as a 2nd ruck/forward.

Watts and Hogan are smart players, but neither Pedersen or Frost complement them.

We're still in development mode even tho we are about to start to move up the ladder,  theses boys,  in particular 'Frost',  are still being taught to do certain roles.  They won't overload him with too much at once.

Frosts injury last season slowed his learning of roles.  I've no doubt he'll be able to [play as a forward if they see it in him...  I think the difference is that as supporters we get impatient.

I think they see that we should play 4 tall forwards (Hogan, Frost, Pederson, Watts) all together up forward.  That crowded Hogan it seems.  The forward zone functioned better when one tall went to defence.

This is not about Frost IMO but rather about the balance of the forward setup/balance.

On ‎27‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, Pates said:

Every year he has been lauded over pre-season and picked as one who will stand up, I feel that there is something different about him this year. He just seems to be walking taller and with leadership, it's still early days but this could be his year (and by extension ours!). 

And he appears to be loving the increased responsibility and the challenges which leadership brings. You have to adore responsibility and the immense satisfaction which comes with making organisations successful. I saw that in Watts on Saturday. Once he gets it, it will be like a drug. And the dividends for the MFC will be incalculable.

Viney is a natural leader and gets his satisfaction from that. You can see how immensely he enjoys it. With Jack Watts, I think by far the most naturally gifted player on our list (although Petracca looks to be giving him some competition), if he can combine his sublime talent with a Viney style "take no prisoners", we will be unbeatable.

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 2:57 PM, stuie said:

Our forward line all of a sudden clicked when Pedo was moved to the backline on Saturday. I'm not too worried about Frost's DE, it's not what he's there for. I think as far as a mix goes, Watts, Hogan and Frost is better than Watts, Hogan and Pedo. Too many packs and not enough spread and speed with Pedo in there.

Not sure why the comparison to Matt Jones, he plays a completely different role.

I prefer Watts, Hogan and Weideman myself - but we may need to wait another couple of months. That will be our premiership combination I have no doubt

• Like 1

At last Jack is getting some positive press:  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jack-watts-finally-finding-his-niche-in-melbournes-forward-line-emulating-adelaides-tom-lynch/news-story/37a7ec7d96bdaaa008bb8aba22340d49

An astute observation in the article:  "Drafted as a deep full forward, played through the midfield and having had his best season across half back in 2012, Watts’s flexibility perhaps could have hurt his ability to develop into the footballer many had hoped he would become...But now, acting as Melbourne’s very own ‘Connector’, Watts finally has the ability to flourish".

And flourish he willNo turning back now!

1 hour ago, Dees2014 said:

I prefer Watts, Hogan and Weideman myself - but we may need to wait another couple of months. That will be our premiership combination I have no doubt

Same here. That's the end goal as far as our forward line goes surely. That mix will be amazing!

I still want to see how Jack goes when the physical Heat is applied to him, as he plays better.   Lets not boo the opposition who dare to test him...   He needs to be tested, & we need him to be tested,   & he will be soon,  so that he can take that next step.

I want to see him respond in kind,  when that heat comes.

He's had an excellent start to the season no doubt. I'll wait until we've got to the real quality opposition before I decide on Jack. I've always wanted him to do what he just might be doing. I want to see how he responds to getting put on his backside a few times. You can all run around waving "I told you so, I told you so" Fact is you told us nothing. He's been a giant flop for his career to date

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

At last Jack is getting some positive press:  http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jack-watts-finally-finding-his-niche-in-melbournes-forward-line-emulating-adelaides-tom-lynch/news-story/37a7ec7d96bdaaa008bb8aba22340d49

An astute observation in the article:  "Drafted as a deep full forward, played through the midfield and having had his best season across half back in 2012, Watts’s flexibility perhaps could have hurt his ability to develop into the footballer many had hoped he would become...But now, acting as Melbourne’s very own ‘Connector’, Watts finally has the ability to flourish".

And flourish he willNo turning back now!

Found these comments under the article funny. I could have been reading DL!

It's 1 game - relax

Benjamin

@Christian Here Here Christian. Watts has many rounds left to disappoint as I know he can do.

1 hour ago, Roost It said:

He's had an excellent start to the season no doubt. I'll wait until we've got to the real quality opposition before I decide on Jack. I've always wanted him to do what he just might be doing. I want to see how he responds to getting put on his backside a few times. You can all run around waving "I told you so, I told you so" Fact is you told us nothing. He's been a giant flop for his career to date

hyperbole. He is a rung or two above deserving of that description

Morton, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott, Cook and Gysberts

are all first rounders who are curtains,having achieved far less, and Watts isn't finished yet by any stretch

21 minutes ago, Curry & Beer said:

are all first rounders who are curtains,having achieved far less, and Watts isn't finished yet by any stretch

Exactly.  With early draft picks you hope for a star - particularly the first pick - but failure to deliver one doesn't mean the pick was a failure.  Every single year since the draft began there have been as many or more total busts with top 10 picks (and not just the MFC) than stars, with the bulk being just good but unspectacular players. If Watts belatedly becomes a star then it's historically it's an excellent result; If he plays 200+ games at a decent level then historically it's a good result, not the terrible result black and white viewers would have you believe.  A terrible result as you said, would be another Morton, but we know Watts is far better than that.

Too many people can't see past the romance of early draft picks and use emotion for their judgement of players taken early, rather than hard analysis of the facts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nasher said:

Exactly.  With early draft picks you hope for a star - particularly the first pick - but failure to deliver one doesn't mean the pick was a failure.  Every single year since the draft began there have been as many or more total busts with top 10 picks (and not just the MFC) than stars, with the bulk being just good but unspectacular players. If Watts belatedly becomes a star then it's historically it's an excellent result; If he plays 200+ games at a decent level then historically it's a good result, not the terrible result black and white viewers would have you believe.  A terrible result as you said, would be another Morton, but we know Watts is far better than that.

Too many people can't see past the romance of early draft picks and use emotion for their judgement of players taken early, rather than hard analysis of the facts.

Josh Fraser says hi

Cant wait for Collingwood game, Jack Watts Viney and Vanders all shake the bones of some first year Pies player destroy him for 7 years

Make a statement JACK IS BACK

On 3/30/2016 at 10:07 PM, Curry & Beer said:

He was a number 1 pick 

Just now, Curry & Beer said:

Yes, I know that.

I like him, always have but his lack of intensity was terrible to watch. He was gifted games. It took a genuine threat from Roos at the end of last season for him to start showing something consistent. May it continue. I stand by my earlier post