Roos recalls Petracca blast.

dazzledavey36

I like the fact that Roos is reinforcing the message about the necessity for players, irrespective of age or talent, to strive to prepare themselves in a professional manner. This is exactly what wasn't happening at the club over the years when team leaders were discovered to be urinating in night clubs at 3am (and weren't penalised a single game) and others missed training sessions because they were under the weather or smashed their cars at 5am. 

I will be very disappointed about not seeing Petracca playing in Round 1 and upset that he's not even starting in the Casey intraclub on Friday but if the delayed start is even partly due to him being taught a lesson or disciplined by his coach for lack of care in his preparation then I would regard that as a big step forward for the club. An even bigger step forward if he and the others in the young playing group take heed of the message.

• Like 12

9 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I can't work out why Roos would give  this any oxygen. Petracca was  silly but what does it achieve by commenting now?

To me it as much about reinforcing a message to the entire list as it is about chastising CP.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daisycutter said:

no, why should they? it's common sense, and the issue is not 'basketball' as such, it's about risky procedures like slam dunking which you would know if you ever tried one, plus still being on a rehab program. (naturally, i am assuming he actually was slam dunking based on reports i can't verify) 

Agreed

52 minutes ago, nutbean said:

To me it as much about reinforcing a message to the entire list as it is about chastising CP.

Or he was asked about it in a press conference and answered truthfully 

1 minute ago, Mickey 'O' said:

Or he was asked about it in a press conference and answered truthfully 

He didn't just answer truthfully - he went on to discuss habits and standards - he was delivering a message. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nutbean said:

He didn't just answer truthfully - he went on to discuss habits and standards - he was delivering a message. 

Would Stevie J have become the player he was if the culture at Geelong didn't set him on the right path? Same with Gary Ablett Jnr.

Talent is one thing - discipline is another.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I like the fact that Roos is reinforcing the message about the necessity for players, irrespective of age or talent, to strive to prepare themselves in a professional manner. This is exactly what wasn't happening at the club over the years when team leaders were discovered to be urinating in night clubs at 3am (and weren't penalised a single game) and others missed training sessions because they were under the weather or smashed their cars at 5am. 

I will be very disappointed about not seeing Petracca playing in Round 1 and upset that he's not even starting in the Casey intraclub on Friday but if the delayed start is even partly due to him being taught a lesson or disciplined by his coach for lack of care in his preparation then I would regard that as a big step forward for the club. An even bigger step forward if he and the others in the young playing group take heed of the message.

Petracca's stupidity was highlighted when he injured his toe back in January.  It was clear to those who saw any press on the incident that Roos and the club were less than impressed with Petracca's behaviour and made their views very clear to him and the public.  It's been stated that he was chastened for a few days so he clearly took the message to heart.

I agree with all you've said above Jack but I don't agree with again making the point about Petracca public.  It is another public shaming when the punishment has already been handed out.  Coming into the season with so much good news and good vibe about I can't see the point.  Petracca won't play for some weeks yet.  He knows he mucked up and I don't think it serves the slightest purpose to again rub his nose in the poo in public.

This is a point that should be made in house and should be made every time someone fails that standard. Don't re raise an old issue in public about one player over and over again to make a point. 

Roos shouldn't have done it.

4 hours ago, nutbean said:

No more excuses, The players are responsible for preparing professionally..

1 hour ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Petracca's stupidity was highlighted when he injured his toe back in January.  It was clear to those who saw any press on the incident that Roos and the club were less than impressed with Petracca's behaviour and made their views very clear to him and the public.  It's been stated that he was chastened for a few days so he clearly took the message to heart.

I agree with all you've said above Jack but I don't agree with again making the point about Petracca public.  It is another public shaming when the punishment has already been handed out.  Coming into the season with so much good news and good vibe about I can't see the point.  Petracca won't play for some weeks yet.  He knows he mucked up and I don't think it serves the slightest purpose to again rub his nose in the poo in public.

This is a point that should be made in house and should be made every time someone fails that standard. Don't re raise an old issue in public about one player over and over again to make a point. 

for someone who delights in digging up and broadcasting the (perceived) transgressions of individuals in the past this is a strange position for you to now take 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I'm repeating myself a bit here, but why should it be kept in house? Roos wants us as the supporters, and the wider football community, to understand some things:

1. What we lack as an organisation and how we got to be so deep in trouble/dysfunctional in the first place

2. What exactly it is he is working on trying to achieve at the club with his gigantic paycheck

3. The fact that he will be gone soon, but the situation must continue to be monitored

He was asked straight out what the situation and he replied with honesty that it wasn't good enough and he was mad about it. He knows we have a talented group of youngsters, but will they grow into a group that will perform as a professional, dedicated, disiplined unit like the Hawthorn and Geelong teams of the last decade -  or will they be a group like White, Neitz, Yze, Johnstone, Bruce, Green etc who were pretty good but lacked the steel to go all the way? No disrespect to any of those players individually but as a group they lacked the culture that Roos is trying to instill and that's the difference. Let's not even get into the Moloney/Sylvia/McLean era where we put on a  clinic of unprofessionalism and poor culture.

Why would you prefer for these discussions to be hidden from public view, there was nothing hidden about all the suffering we have endured as supporters. Bring on the spotlight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Curry & Beer said:

Roos wants us as the supporters, and the wider football community, to understand some things:

Well I just disagree.  If Roos is doing things like this for the supporters then heaven help us.  All he had to do when asked is say "he's done everything right from that incident and is progressing well towards a return".  In a lot of other work places this could be seen a bullying - repeatedly bringing something up an publicly embarrassing an individual.

We differ, I've no problem with that.

2 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Well I just disagree.  If Roos is doing things like this for the supporters then heaven help us.  All he had to do when asked is say "he's done everything right from that incident and is progressing well towards a return".  In a lot of other work places this could be seen a bullying - repeatedly bringing something up an publicly embarrassing an individual.

Please..

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baghdad Bob said:

BB you of all people    I had a go at Trac at training    he gives as good as he gets

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

I personally think that if Roos is saying things like this, and the club has instilled discipline in the group and all the players know what is expected, then all of the players whether it's Petracca, Watts, Stretch or whoever else at the club would be very clear that Roos is just reiterating the standards that the club... and most likely the players themselves have set. They would know that the message is something that they all need to take on.

Edited by Ouch!

7 minutes ago, Django said:

Had a go, meaning you got stuck into CP over the broken toe saga?

No not stuck into him, just a joke about sticking his toe in to test the waters at training       I ask players questions I get good considered answers    I ask Trac I get rubbish     he is big and ugly enough to take on board Roos' intentions and move on

3 minutes ago, Satyriconhome said:

No not stuck into him, just a joke about sticking his toe in to test the waters at training       I ask players questions I get good considered answers    I ask Trac I get rubbish     he is big and ugly enough to take on board Roos' intentions and move on

Did he get lippy back at you Saty? I'm intrigued by this exchange.

Just now, Satyriconhome said:

More bullying.

I think Roos needs a word with you too Saty.

• Like 2