• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

JUDGEMENT DAY - THE "BOMBER" 34

Whispering_Jack

My love of this game is dying. The depth of corruption this saga has revealed should be eye-opening to any supporters of Aussie Rules.

Make no mistake, the game you once loved no longer exists. Corporatisation fully realised, profits now take precedence over ethics. 

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 7

Does anyone know if the Drug Lords have lost any sponsors over CAS judgement?

The Essendon players can only blame themselves,surely someone would have got advice in writing from the AFL or examined the AFL code of conduct rules relating to injection of substances.James Hird and co. should have known better, however they did not force a gun to anyone's head. The same thing applies to the AFL thou they were sloppy in dealing with the situation. The club was held responsible for the injection program thus they were exiled from the 8 in 2014 ,given a 2 million dollar fine.Later were given a chance to take a guilt plea thus reducing their suspension ( probably a weak one) but refused. The players who decide to take Essendon or the AFL to court may end up losing and therefore are up for court costs. The other clubs who obtained ex Essendon players,the drug cheats should be compensated because the players were deemed innocent at the time,promoting a rookie is not sufficient compensation.Those so called other clubs may sue Essendon and the AFL for insufficient compensation. James Hird should be suspended from coaching any team for the next 10 years for his ignorance in the matter.The AFL needs to prevent these sorts of things happening again.

• Like 1

I sort of agree, what not giving Essendon top up players means they can't cover injuries and they put undue stress on their remaining players, who did nothing wrong and don't deserve to suffer as a result. 

Plus it's a health and safety issue that the AFLPA would never agree to. 

True that the AFL and AFLPA need to ensure the health and safety of the current Essendon playing list (something which both appear to have been remiss about along with the EFC over the whole issue) but they are clearly playing favourite with the Bombers over almost everything else.

Back in 2013 when the AFL sanctioned Essendon over governance following the partially completed joint investigation, it was made painfully clear that the issue of the actual possible use of banned substances was still unresolved. Now that this long running saga has ended and it is plain and obvious that they are culpable in conducting a programme involving the ingesting of banned substances by their players, the AFL is letting them off the hook with salary cap concessions, generous rights to recruit top up players and draft pick hand outs as a side benefit to having a weakened team due to the sanctions. Banned players can be paid their full remuneration. This was all announced on the day the sanctions were announced and with no consultation with the clubs although one of the offenders gets consulted and time to put forward a case (should he wish to) as to whether he can keep his Brownlow. 

Business as usual for the AFL. It hasn't learned a thing from the various scandals that have rocked the organisation in recent years. 

And the money keeps rolling in.

• Like 12

True that the AFL and AFLPA need to ensure the health and safety of the current Essendon playing list (something which both appear to have been remiss about along with the EFC over the whole issue) but they are clearly playing favourite with the Bombers over almost everything else.

Back in 2013 when the AFL sanctioned Essendon over governance following the partially completed joint investigation, it was made painfully clear that the issue of the actual possible use of banned substances was still unresolved. Now that this long running saga has ended and it is plain and obvious that they are culpable in conducting a programme involving the ingesting of banned substances by their players, the AFL is letting them off the hook with salary cap concessions, generous rights to recruit top up players and draft pick hand outs as a side benefit to having a weakened team due to the sanctions. Banned players can be paid their full remuneration. This was all announced on the day the sanctions were announced and with no consultation with the clubs although one of the offenders gets consulted and time to put forward a case (should he wish to) as to whether he can keep his Brownlow. 

Business as usual for the AFL. It hasn't learned a thing from the various scandals that have rocked the organisation in recent years. 

Amen to all that WJ..

• Like 1

Leon Zwier advised the MFC on the "tanking" wash up - James Hird and Essendon board to blame for sorry saga

I think this from that article is a wise move which I think we have now made:

The sorry saga showed sports boards needed to conscript independent directors, rather than high-profile and powerful fans unlikely to topple a hero such as Hird.

• Like 1

Who draws the line between financial support for a drug based program Team and their (the Team's) rightful ethical position on the ladder for the next 5 to ten years.

In the USA with Lance Armstrong it was The US Postal Service. They moved on him very hard. I am now of the opinion that the Essendon Football Club Sponsors should move on Essendon very hard. Who are they and why should they not be exposed as being supporters of a convicted drug Team

Who draws the line between financial support for a drug based program Team and their (the Team's) rightful ethical position on the ladder for the next 5 to ten years.

In the USA with Lance Armstrong it was The US Postal Service. They moved on him very hard. I am now of the opinion that the Essendon Football Club Sponsors should move on Essendon very hard. Who are they and why should they not be exposed as being supporters of a convicted drug Team

here they are ... note the herald-sun

Leon Zwier advised the MFC on the "tanking" wash up - James Hird and Essendon board to blame for sorry saga

This stood out more than anything to me... If i were one of those wealthy backers I would ask for all who had been a part of the program who are still at the club to resign before they received any cash and want to understand what the players really may have known.

"HIGH-PROFILE SUPPORTERS

The Australian Financial Review reported on Wednesday that Essendon is preparing a war chest from wealthy business backers as it faces financial crisis. The Bombers are stacked with high-profile and powerful supporters, including former chairman and stockbroker David Evans, who suffered a physical breakdown after a falling-out with Hird when he tried to negotiate with the AFL on a deal. Subsequent chairman and former managing director of Toll Holdings Paul Little was appointed to fight the charges. Little stood down at the end of last year after Hird resigned in August (after controversially being brought back on a two-year contract following his 12-month ban from coaching in 2014). Newly appointed chairman Lindsay Tanner, Dr Ziggy Switkowski – who conducted the 2013 review into the drugs scandal – former federal Treasurer Peter Costello and Hird mentor, News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson are among other high-profile supporters."

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/james-hird-and-essendon-board-to-blame-for-sorry-saga-20160115-gm6ldr#ixzz3xNikQjc1 

Are you sure the players are getting paid. Wouldn't think the code would allow it!

I think this from that article is a wise move which I think we have now made:

The sorry saga showed sports boards needed to conscript independent directors, rather than high-profile and powerful fans unlikely to topple a hero such as Hird.

It most certainly cost us in the past...lessons learned, lets hope not forgotten.

This stood out more than anything to me... If i were one of those wealthy backers I would ask for all who had been a part of the program who are still at the club to resign before they received any cash and want to understand what the players really may have known.

"HIGH-PROFILE SUPPORTERS

The Australian Financial Review reported on Wednesday that Essendon is preparing a war chest from wealthy business backers as it faces financial crisis. The Bombers are stacked with high-profile and powerful supporters, including former chairman and stockbroker David Evans, who suffered a physical breakdown after a falling-out with Hird when he tried to negotiate with the AFL on a deal. Subsequent chairman and former managing director of Toll Holdings Paul Little was appointed to fight the charges. Little stood down at the end of last year after Hird resigned in August (after controversially being brought back on a two-year contract following his 12-month ban from coaching in 2014). Newly appointed chairman Lindsay Tanner, Dr Ziggy Switkowski – who conducted the 2013 review into the drugs scandal – former federal Treasurer Peter Costello and Hird mentor, News Corp chief executive Robert Thomson are among other high-profile supporters."

Read more: http://www.afr.com/business/sport/james-hird-and-essendon-board-to-blame-for-sorry-saga-20160115-gm6ldr#ixzz3xNikQjc1 

Robert Thomson's support of Hird adds one more string to the understanding of the absolute bias in the Hun. 

• Like 2

Are you sure the players are getting paid. Wouldn't think the code would allow it!

i understand it is still being discussed. there were recent reports that they would get 50% of their pay whilst on suspension, but don't take that as any gospel

i understand it is still being discussed. there were recent reports that they would get 50% of their pay whilst on suspension, but don't take that as any gospel

That the AFL are even discussing it is appalling. They are cheats, they are suspended from the entire sport, they should not be paid. Wouldn't the payment itself actually constitute contact between the club and players anyway. 

What's bet the AFL are on the players side again and trying to negotiate with WADA to allow them to be paid? 

• Like 3

Good article

Me thinks they'd get another call from WADA

• Like 1

Good article

It actually points to why I think PJ has been great for the club. Yes he is a Dee now but he is not a died in the wool life long Dee who makes the decisions based on emotion. He is a business man making the best decisions for the club he is in charge of. Much the same goes for Roos. 

• Like 2

It actually points to why I think PJ has been great for the club. Yes he is a Dee now but he is not a died in the wool life long Dee who makes the decisions based on emotion. He is a business man making the best decisions for the club he is in charge of. Much the same goes for Roos. 

PJ was the man who was in charge when Knights was coach and then gave him the 3 year extension. Only for Turd to shuffle in the back door on him.

That the AFL are even discussing it is appalling. They are cheats, they are suspended from the entire sport, they should not be paid. Wouldn't the payment itself actually constitute contact between the club and players anyway. 

What's bet the AFL are on the players side again and trying to negotiate with WADA to allow them to be paid? 

If the players are being paid, it's harder for them to demonstrate "loss" and thus harder to launch court action against the EFC.

• Like 2