THREEPEATS - WE STILL LEAD THE FIELD

Whispering_Jack

The longer the AFL is around, the less these VFL records mean to me. Sure they're great, and they're far more meaningful than any of the other state records; but there's still a large part of me that feels we have no premierships.

Does that make me a bad Melbourne supporter?

It makes you someone who ignores history. If we don't use the full records then where do you start? The year the name change occurred there were no new teams so all it was was a change from a 'v' to an 'a'. If you use the expansion of the league then we start the count a few years back when GWS started so only the Swans and Hawks have won a flag.

You can't pick a date from no where, either the history is there or we re-start the count when ever a new team or name change occurs.

Edited by Chris

The MFC have won 12 Hard earned Premierships

But that all happened a long time ago

Do not dismiss our history but do not dwell on it

The next flag will be number 13 not our first.

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 3

So over hearing about our History to be honest. Watching All the build up to grand final and the celebrations afterwards just makes me crave it even more.

Interstingly Nathan Jones went to his first afl grand final and he put a pic up on instagram only for Christian Petracca to write "we will get their one day boss' and chunk replied with 'you know it, just wanted to get an idea'..

I reckon Jonez would have come out from that fired up after seeing his mate Frawley win a flag before him.

Some good posts from both Gus & Track on the weekend. Great to see them taking ownership of it.

• Like 1

In certain ways, we have won premierships. In other ways, we did win them in an entirely different competition.
The league we won our premierships in was a much different beast. Players had full time jobs. Some smoked. Strength and conditioning wasn't even considered. The longest road trip that you had to make was to Geelong (or to Melbourne if you played for Geelong). No salary cap, no draft and very little science involved.
We have yet to win a premiership in the professional age. We, as a club, thrived as an amateur gentleman's club. When the move to professionalism began, we have been found wanting.
The sooner we realize that the past is just that, the past, then we are doomed. As WYL said, respect it but don't dwell on it. Do too much of that and you might be inspired to do something silly like getting club administrators and players to don private school blazers to club functions.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

The longer the AFL is around, the less these VFL records mean to me. Sure they're great, and they're far more meaningful than any of the other state records; but there's still a large part of me that feels we have no premierships.

Does that make me a bad Melbourne supporter?

yes it does ,go to the naughty corner

In general footy conversation when someone asks how many premierships have Melbourne won I reply, none. This is a new competition to the VFL, we won VFL flags not AFL. In 1990 when the AFL was created, is what matters now, we were a legendary VFL club, hopefully we can be a legendary AFL one too.

booooo

Thanks for that Jack. I just mentioned it in the grand final post. I always will remember our shock defeat in the '58 GF. We should have had 5 in a row! Oh well life goes on.

Actually , Bobby,it should have been 6 in a row.

(55,56,57,58,59,60)

If only we hadn't been sucked in by the Pies going the knuckle in 58. If only it wasn't a terrible day, pouring with rain all day, dragging us down to the Mudpies' standard.

I think that when we finally win a modern-day premiership, it will revitalise the meaningful nature of our history. No longer will it be something we did a very long time ago in a totally different world; it will be a rich testament to our ability to succeed for over a hundred years.

Win another one and the rest will gain new life.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.