2015 Player Review - # 20 Colin Garland

Demonland

"Garland bounced back this year after an ankle injury interrupted his 2014 season. Although the defender missed three matches in 2015 from rounds 11 to 13 with a hand injury he was a strong performer this season. It was the fourth time in the past five seasons he has finished in the top seven of the best and fairest for Melbourne."

Games MFC 2015 20

Career Total 135

Goals MFC 2015 1

Career Total 16

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 218 votes (Sixth club champion)

* quote from MFC site

But he walks funny and doesn't smile enough. Are the coaches blind?

Just imagine how much he would be hated if he had a head like Melkshams.

Garland started so far back this year in the pre-season he was running at the back of every group by a mile, sometimes laps behind. Had no fitness base at all after the previous year. He will start on even footing next year and have an even better season.

He has finished top 7 in the b&f 4 of the past 5 years and the only year he didn't he hadn't done a pre-season at all. We have absolutely no depth and yet some people want to get rid of a bloke who is versatile in that he can play on bigs and smalls and is consistently in our best players.

• Like 2

Cue Stevethemanjordan to come in with his usual vitriol against Garland.

• Like 1

C'mon guys...

I'm not that bad am I ? Am I ?

Dear Garland,

I'm sure you're a real nice guy.

Regards,

STMJ

Dog with a bone is a saying that comes to mind.

Blue collar worker who clearly does a job on his man defensively, verified by his standing among insiders at Melbourne. Been a rock for sometime, a warrior during hard times. The knocks on him - or constructive criticism - seen as vitriol among 'landers, some of whom choose not to comment, are the other non strings to his bow some would like to see that are essential in a team moving forward from the mediocre mess of the last decade. Side ways kicks, ineffective disposal, handballing to teammates under duress/pressure are characteristics some would like to see cleaned up and improved.

As I've stated if the FD see him as a tradeable option with value - Roosy has stated there are no guarantees in terms of improving the list (every player is tradeable) - in order to improve the list, let him go.

• Like 4

Blue collar worker who clearly does a job on his man defensively, verified by his standing among insiders at Melbourne. Been a rock for sometime, a warrior during hard times. The knocks on him - or constructive criticism - seen as vitriol among 'landers, some of whom choose not to comment, are the other non strings to his bow some would like to see that are essential in a team moving forward from the mediocre mess of the last decade. Side ways kicks, ineffective disposal, handballing to teammates under duress/pressure are characteristics some would like to see cleaned up and improved.

As I've stated if the FD see him as a tradeable option with value - Roosy has stated there are no guarantees in terms of improving the list (every player is tradeable) - in order to improve the list, let him go.

Wow!

A non-biased critique of a long-time serving footballer at our club!

Never thought I'd read something like this from a mod.

Always found Colin pretty consistent and saves us many times on the last line of defense. One of our smarter players I think

I would like him to stay. While our young midfield looks to continue to develop at a good rate I think the backline will take longer e.g. White and Oscar Mcdonald.

Also Frost looks like he might spend most of his time as Forward/CHF next year, which means its important for Garland to stick around to help McDonald and Dunn.

Im really not too sure what to make of ol Garlo but something akin to Wreckers and HT trains of thought seems close.

I dont think moving him on is any priority for the FD who obviously rate him in his role.

A full preseason may see Colin regain a bit more form.

I find him a bit of an enigma to tell the truth.

• Like 1

Im really not too sure what to make of ol Garlo but something akin to Wreckers and HT trains of thought seems close.

I dont think moving him on is any priority for the FD who obviously rate him in his role.

A full preseason may see Colin regain a bit more form.

I find him a bit of an enigma to tell the truth.

Also find him an enigma. His best can be very good -attacking, line breaker, great mark, and rebound but at his worst -fumbles, makes mistakes, lacks effort or just goes missing. He is clearly a confidence player. When the team is up and about, Garlo can be a great asset, but when getting belted, he can be awful. He is not alone. If you believe as I do that we have a developing side and that more wins will come, Garlo will be an asset.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

“I was watching the game and people said ‘wouldn’t you love success?’ and I said ‘it wouldn’t mean anything to me unless it was with Melbourne’.

Legend!

• Like 8

“I was watching the game and people said ‘wouldn’t you love success?’ and I said ‘it wouldn’t mean anything to me unless it was with Melbourne’.

Legend!

I love this.

Winning a premiership by switching to a club that's already dominant (a la Frawley) would not even come close to winning one with a club that you have helped to dig out of a rut. I think that players that have left us will watch on in envy when we start to become successful, even if they are experiencing success themselves.

• Like 2

Wow. 3 years.

Huge vote of confidence from Roos and Goodwin and the FD.

They must rate his work around the club; he must be excellent club man. He has always seemed it, and his words in that article are great to hear.

He may not be a force in the 22 in 2018 but he will be force for good at the club in 2018 and I think that is a lesson we have learnt in the last half decade - sometimes keeping good clubmen around is important, even if their onfield contribution won't be.

• Like 1

Congrats Col.

An admirable attitude.

Now go them hell on the field

Good luck and well done.

• Like 1

I'm rapt - never wanted him to leave. Nearly always feel safe when the ball is coming his way. Tries his guts out - could never see him playing for anyone else. Good on him. These are the sort of blokes we need at the club.

• Like 3

I'm a happy camper too. Not just because I like the way Col goes about it, but also because we can't lose good defenders. Him going would have left a hole we couldn't afford to fill when we have other more pressing issues.

Great to see that kind of commitment from Col. Seems to be a rare commodity these days -- loyalty to your Club. He said he told his manager he wouldn't even consider looking at any other Club! Fantastic!

I really hope he's there when we finally make the Finals. Really deserves it. Under-rated, blue collar defender who gives his all for the MFC. Can't ask any more than that from him.

Very pleased about this -- and his attitude.

Go Dees!

• Like 2