Carlton Request Priority Pick

Chris

Here's a far fetched suggestion, how about the draft just isn't tampered with PPs or compos so it can be fair for all clubs?

because the clubs are already tampering with it, choosing which games they want to win, & which to lose; so they can get the position on the ladder they desire in order to get that pick, that player.

... so the only way to slow this down is to raffle the first 8 picks of the draft, to stop the certainty of the order of things.

But the idea of free agency comes from American sports who don't have compensation. It's not a well thought out idea to let teams have their picks pushed down just because another club loses (or willingly pushes out because they could get a bottom pick) a decent player. Although ironically it does make the draft more like a lottery

the American model always gives oxygen to those closer to the top... they like winners who stand on others, pushing them further down.. like in a sinking passenger ship, they'll hop on others backs to get to the air.

but we all live in an 18 team competition... so pushing others down hurts the supporter base, & so the game itself.

• Like 1

But the idea of free agency comes from American sports who don't have compensation. It's not a well thought out idea to let teams have their picks pushed down just because another club loses (or willingly pushes out because they could get a bottom pick) a decent player. Although ironically it does make the draft more like a lottery

Where they have other, better equalisation methods and don't need compensation to compensate.

• Like 1

NFL has comp but only for third round and later. But that's not nothing.

NBA doesn't, MLB is complicated but does have a compensation model I understand. Who cares about NHL.

So it's a bit messy, we can carve our own path on things like this.

• Like 1

NBA doesn't, MLB is complicated but does have a compensation model I understand. Who cares about NHL.

Have you actually watched NHL? It is a lot better sport than all the others. Plus there is a lot less American bullish*t with it!

• Like 1

Bloody hell! Mitch Robinson wins a b&f at Brisbane! Another that the Blues let go for nothing.

Sad....so sad !!!!

Seriously, Carlton's case is majorly weakened by the success of the players they've thrown out. Garlett 40 goals, Betts 60+ goals, Robinson a B & F and Waite an elimination final match winner.

They don't have a case as they well know.

I don't think losing these players helps or hinders the case.

I still don't think the AFL holds all the aces.

Ground controllers hold more aces. Especially in Vic.

Personally I think the AFL needs a good revitalisation ( Charter Rewrite) with, for a start, the pending recommendations coming out of CAS to possibly include a complete AFL overhaul.

Who to do it . I don't know. Federal Legislation in Sport maybe.

I wouldn't let the Federal government anywhere near the AFL. (Note: Not just this particular Government. Any Federal Government).

Have you actually watched NHL? It is a lot better sport than all the others. Plus there is a lot less American bullish*t with it!

I can't see the puck, I don't even think the commentators can, they just react when the players react...

And I really meant about their FA compensation procedures.

I can't see the puck, I don't even think the commentators can, they just react when the players react...

And I really meant about their FA compensation procedures.

Spot on.

The game annoys me because of the constant player changes I never know who is on the rink.

Teams like the Magic, Spurs, Thunder, Cavs have all been able to draft well and attract free agents despite being in small media markets and being undesirable cities next to places like NY, Chicago, LA, Miami, San Fran etc. Like you said, you carve your own path.

If you're run well, have a good culture and play the drafting and free agent game right, you'll be okay. The Spurs were a nothing club for a while before Duncan arrived. Built well and created an amazing culture with an (at the time) untried coach.

Edited by praha