• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Northern Blues v Casey Scorpions

KC from Casey

The list management situation will be interesting this year. Do we back the recruiters to change our fortunes by maximising the available picks or back our development team to achieve that result with some players who are already here. I know very little about Hunt other than what I have read here and what I have seen on the injury list.

I looked up the VFL stats for Hunt, (unfortunately not up for yesterdays game)

The rows are Kicks, Handballs, Marks, Contested Marks, Goals and Behinds. He has only played the last 3 games which were against Geelong, Port Melbourne and Northern Blues. Extraordinarily he is now Casey's top goal kicker with 9 goals! (I think Jamar is second with 8)

His Geelong stats were a great start, the game against Port was played in very poor conditions, so his other stats against Northern Blues will be interesting.

K 9, 6, ?

H 3, 0, ?

M 6, 1, ?

CM 3, 0, ?

G 3, 2, 4

B 1, 0, ?

Nice job on the stats! That Geelong game looks even better with that information.

Did Roberts really get named their 2nd best with only 4 touches?

I suppose Panozza 6th best with only 7 touches might be a bit hard on some of the guys too, but in a winning team is arguable he defended well, spoilt a lot and contributed to the win...

Does anyone know what Melbourne will do this year assuming Casey play finals? In the past our listed players often drop out of the side after the senior teams matches conclude.

I'd say, (hope) that this new regime will see the need for us to regain respect, on & off field across the whole footy world, & even into the suburban supporters minds, both in AFL & VFL.

we should play finals, & maintain all players we can, for a full-on tilt at VFL finals glory... we owe all who work for the scorpions, & all who spend their time & efforts going to watch & to support them, to do this.

its acts like these that' will earn back respect, & regain our clubs Integrity.

STINGING THE BLUES by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions strengthened their claims for a finals berth with a dominant second half leading to a comprehensive 47 point victory over the Northern Blues at Ikon Park on Saturday afternoon.

In cool but calm conditions, the Scorpions opened up strongly with three of the first four goals. The Casey big men were on top in the ruck with Mark Jamar and in front of goal with Jake Spencer booting the first and Max King scoring late in the term to give the team a 14 point lead at the first break.

Casey kept up its dominance with an early second quarter goal to Matt Jones which was met by a swift reply before Jamar, resting up forward, booted another at the six minute mark to restore a 20 point lead. The game lapsed into something of a scramble with lots of stoppages and very few bright passages of play and the visitors let their grip on the game slip when they conceded two goals after time on began. As has often been the case this year, Casey rallied late with goals to Jayden Hunt and a second to Spencer, both after the thirty minute mark and suddenly they were 22 points in front at half time.

The confidence that those two late goals brought to the team was priceless and led by their winning ruck which amassed 71 hit outs between them (Jamar 46, Spencer 25) to give the midfield an armchair ride, the Scorpions swept to a 46 point lead at the final break, with Hunt booting two more for the quarter. Elusive and genuinely quick, Hunt does not get a great deal of the football but what he does with it is particularly damaging.

The experience of Jack Grimes, Jordie McKenzie, Matt Jones and Viv Michie gave Casey the midfield edge whilst Dean Terlich, Evan Panozza and Jack Hutchins were steady in defence in a strong team effort that gave the team a comfortable win.

The victory was handy because it gave the Scorpions a two game buffer inside the top eight, with only one of the six remaining games left to be played against a team outside of that group.

2015 Peter Jackson VFL

Casey Scorpions
3.4.22 7.7.49 11.13.69 15.15.105

Northern Blues
1.2.8 4.3.27 5.3.33 9.4.58

Goals

Casey Scorpions
Hunt 4 Jamar 3 Spencer 2 Byrnes Grimes M Jones King Michie Rutherford

Northern Blues Johnson Johnston Jaksch 2 Dirago Murray Watson

Best

Casey Scorpions
Jamar Grimes McKenzie Hunt Hutchins Panozza

Northern Blues Jones Roberts Ballard Johnston Armitage Whiley

Statistics

Rohan Bail disposals 9 kicks 4 handballs 4 marks 6 tackles 71 dream team points

Jack Fitzpatrick 6 disposals 2 kicks 4 handballs 3 marks 1 tackles 27 dream team points

Jack Grimes 30 disposals 13 kicks 17 handballs 2 marks 7 tackles 115 dream team points

Jayden Hunt 4 goals 1 behind 11 disposals 6 kicks 5 handballs 5 marks 68 dream team points

Mark Jamar 3 goals 13 disposals 9 kicks 4 handballs 3 marks 4 tackles 46 hit outs 122 dream team points

Matt Jones 1 goal 27 disposals 17 kicks 10 handballs 6 marks 5 tackles 116 dream team points

Max King 1 goal 2 behinds disposals 5 kicks 2 handball 1 tackle 26 dream team points

Oscar McDonald 9 disposals 5 kicks 4 handballs 3 marks 30 dream team points

Jordie McKenzie 1 behind 29 disposals 13 kicks 16 handballs 7 marks 6 tackles 119 dream team points

Viv Michie 1 goal disposals 16 kicks 8 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 90 dream team points

Ben Newton 1 behind 14 disposals 8 kicks 6 handballs 5 marks 3 tackles 50 dream team points

Jake Spencer 2 goals 11 disposals 5 kicks 6 handballs 4 marks 3 tackles 25 hit outs 87 dream team points

Dean Terlich 22 disposals 15 kicks 7 handballs 5 marks 1 tackle 80 dream team points

Jimmy Toumpas 2 behinds 18 disposals 13 kicks 5 handballs 4 marks 7 tackles 92 dream team points

Mitch White 1 behind 12 disposals 7 kicks 5 handballs 4 marks 2 tackles 52 dream team points

The Development League team controlled the game against the Blues from start to finish winning by 67 points. Like the senior side, they have some tough encounters to come before ensuring a place in the finals.

2015 AFL Victoria Development League

Casey Scorpions
8.3.51 13.7.85 15.10.100 18.11.119

Northern Blues
1.4.10 2.5.17 4.8.32 7.10.52

Goals

Casey Scorpions
Anderson Fisscher Gains Muir Thwaites 2 Hannon Kent Lang Page Rosier Scott Walmsley Wyatt

Northern Blues Malone Walton 2 Jordan McDonald Peet

Best

Casey Scorpions
Gains Muir Corrigan Scott K Wilson J McDonald

Northern Blues Toman Gleeson Ercolano McDonald Jenkins Bolger

As posted in the contracts thread, Spence is the only extended ruck option contracted beyond this season (2016). We need to lock down some options now. There was some interest here in Jolly a couple years back. Jamar occupies one spot on the list as security and there are many others who could be cut to make space before willfully ditching Mark.

Jolly started his career at MFC and looked crap. We let him go. Then he became a star at other clubs.

The heartening thing about the transformation of Casey is now there is genuine competition for spots in the firsts.

All the rucks are on the park and going well. The mids must be feeling the pressure from Michie, Newton and Riley.

Grimes is on the cusp as is Fitz.

JKH would be hearing Hunts footsteps.

Our depth is greatly improved and all credit to Plopp and McCartney.

• Like 1

Jolly started his career at MFC and looked crap. We let him go. Then he became a star at other clubs.

Not true

Jolly had very little game time because Daniher preferred White. Jolly also was not well liked. He left because he wanted more game time.

• Like 1

I used to be a regular attendee at Casey games and really enjoyed them. But for one reason and another I haven't attended for a year or two until Saturday.

It was a perfect day for footy. Sunny, still, ground in good nick. The ground allows good viewing access unlike Casey which is the worst viewing ground I've ever been to. It promised to be a good day with Casey fielding a large number of MFC players.

But I nearly left at half time because the game was a little like watching a bunch of 7 year olds playing footy in the school yard at recess. The standard of football was atrocious. Terrible. Boring.

I'd love to know how many stoppages there were. In the second quarter it took about 3 minutes to move the ball 40 yards with stoppage after stoppage. 20 to 30 players continually around the ball where it was just stacks on the mill time after time.

I reckon that part of the reason is that both team bought effort and a desire to compete. I reckon at VFL level you can bring effort even if you can't bring skill. That means footy is ruined as a spectacle because the tackling is strong but the skill is weak.

The game yesterday was similar but the skill level of a few mids does allow the ball to get free of stoppages and a few possession chains to evolve and a few scores.

A few observations from the game which I saw until the end because of Hunt's goal followed by a great contested pack mark from Spence both just before half time. That convinced me to stay.

Jamar was a class above and clear BOG. Won every tap easily and did enough around the ground to be useful. But it was like looking at a 9 year old playing against 6 year olds. Given Max's form the Russian will stay at Casey. Newton had a good first half but was unsighted in the second half and could have been off for all I noticed. I was disappointed in Michie who didn't impose himself at all. Jordie was very strong in the second half when he moved into the centre (from half back where he played the first half) winning numerous clearances with the help of the Russian. I liked White's game. Got a touch of the Jordan Lewis's about him in the way he moves and is a lovely kick. He's clean with the ball and good overhead. Doesn't get enough of it yet but you'd love his kicking off half back if he could get to AFL standard. King was very quiet and at least a couple of years away from AFL for mine. Can't see the point in delisting him at years end because it was obvious he'd take time when we drafted him so why do that if you're going to delist him after 2. Grimes was a cut above and will surely come in for one of the young kids who are struggling at AFL level. Toump tried to be involved but couldn't get free of the scrums to show his class. He's hardly knocking the door down but would be an improvement on Stretch, ANB, Harmes, JKH and Brayshaw who are all not quite there at the moment. Bail, Terlich and Matt Jones all did some things but are yesterday's men. Oscar McDonald was ok but a long way off AFL form. Spence won his position easily, did well in the ruck when in there and took strong marks forward. But Jamar was better so Spence rotted in a forward line that didn't function. He would be getting very frustrated with his lack of opportunity because when he gets it he does well.

Now Hunt. His goal at the end of the second was class in a game devoid of highlights. He ran on to a loose ball and made 2 or 3 Bullant's look second rate. He got a couple of others on the outside. He's got good pace but doesn't get involved enough and doesn't have a strong body. IMO he'd be a waste of space at AFL level where he wouldn't have such a pace advantage on his opponents and where he doesn't look strong enough to win his own ball. His 4 goals flattered his performance and I doubt he'd come into any consideration for a spot this week. I think he will undoubtedly get another contract as he's got attributes that are elite and like King has shown enough to get the second offer. But I'd be very surprised if he got a game this year.

For regular watches of Casey was Saturday's game representative of their footy. It was a poor standard of what the seniors produced. Are the young players tired? Is it the game plan? I watched the showdown in Adelaide that was a celebration of what Aussi rules is about. I also watched a game at the G and at Princes Park and neither bore any relation to what was played in Adelaide.

• Like 12

I used to be a regular attendee at Casey games and really enjoyed them. But for one reason and another I haven't attended for a year or two until Saturday.

Toump tried to be involved but couldn't get free of the scrums to show his class. He's hardly knocking the door down but would be an improvement on Stretch, ANB, Harmes, JKH and Brayshaw who are all not quite there at the moment. Bail, Terlich and Matt Jones all did some things but are yesterday's men. Oscar McDonald was ok but a long way off AFL form. Spence won his position easily, did well in the ruck when in there and took strong marks forward. But Jamar was better so Spence rotted in a forward line that didn't function. He would be getting very frustrated with his lack of opportunity because when he gets it he does well.

Sorry to pick a hole in your otherwise excellent summary but wow if you think Toumpas is ahead of Brayshaw. Sure Gus's output has dropped off a bit from earlier in the season but he is a cut above the toump.

Sorry to pick a hole in your otherwise excellent summary but wow if you think Toumpas is ahead of Brayshaw. Sure Gus's output has dropped off a bit from earlier in the season but he is a cut above the toump.

If I was picking a team to win next week then Toumpas would be ahead of Brayshaw. Brayshaw has been poor the last few weeks. Got that head knock against WC and has had 24 possessions in two games since against weak opposition.

He's tired. He's clearly an exceptional prospect, more so than Toump, but in the short term I think some of the younger kids need a rest.

• Like 5

two cuts

• Like 2

It was a perfect day for footy. Sunny, still, ground in good nick. The ground allows good viewing access unlike Casey which is the worst viewing ground I've ever been to. It promised to be a good day with Casey fielding a large number of MFC players.

But I nearly left at half time because the game was a little like watching a bunch of 7 year olds playing footy in the school yard at recess. The standard of football was atrocious. Terrible. Boring.

I'd love to know how many stoppages there were. In the second quarter it took about 3 minutes to move the ball 40 yards with stoppage after stoppage. 20 to 30 players continually around the ball where it was just stacks on the mill time after time.

I reckon that part of the reason is that both team bought effort and a desire to compete. I reckon at VFL level you can bring effort even if you can't bring skill. That means footy is ruined as a spectacle because the tackling is strong but the skill is weak.

The game yesterday was similar but the skill level of a few mids does allow the ball to get free of stoppages and a few possession chains to evolve and a few scores.

A few observations from the game which I saw until the end because of Hunt's goal followed by a great contested pack mark from Spence both just before half time. That convinced me to stay.

Jamar was a class above and clear BOG. Won every tap easily and did enough around the ground to be useful. But it was like looking at a 9 year old playing against 6 year olds. Given Max's form the Russian will stay at Casey. Newton had a good first half but was unsighted in the second half and could have been off for all I noticed. I was disappointed in Michie who didn't impose himself at all. Jordie was very strong in the second half when he moved into the centre (from half back where he played the first half) winning numerous clearances with the help of the Russian. I liked White's game. Got a touch of the Jordan Lewis's about him in the way he moves and is a lovely kick. He's clean with the ball and good overhead. Doesn't get enough of it yet but you'd love his kicking off half back if he could get to AFL standard. King was very quiet and at least a couple of years away from AFL for mine. Can't see the point in delisting him at years end because it was obvious he'd take time when we drafted him so why do that if you're going to delist him after 2. Grimes was a cut above and will surely come in for one of the young kids who are struggling at AFL level. Toump tried to be involved but couldn't get free of the scrums to show his class. He's hardly knocking the door down but would be an improvement on Stretch, ANB, Harmes, JKH and Brayshaw who are all not quite there at the moment. Bail, Terlich and Matt Jones all did some things but are yesterday's men. Oscar McDonald was ok but a long way off AFL form. Spence won his position easily, did well in the ruck when in there and took strong marks forward. But Jamar was better so Spence rotted in a forward line that didn't function. He would be getting very frustrated with his lack of opportunity because when he gets it he does well.

Now Hunt. His goal at the end of the second was class in a game devoid of highlights. He ran on to a loose ball and made 2 or 3 Bullant's look second rate. He got a couple of others on the outside. He's got good pace but doesn't get involved enough and doesn't have a strong body. IMO he'd be a waste of space at AFL level where he wouldn't have such a pace advantage on his opponents and where he doesn't look strong enough to win his own ball. His 4 goals flattered his performance and I doubt he'd come into any consideration for a spot this week. I think he will undoubtedly get another contract as he's got attributes that are elite and like King has shown enough to get the second offer. But I'd be very surprised if he got a game this year.

For regular watches of Casey was Saturday's game representative of their footy. It was a poor standard of what the seniors produced. Are the young players tired? Is it the game plan? I watched the showdown in Adelaide that was a celebration of what Aussi rules is about. I also watched a game at the G and at Princes Park and neither bore any relation to what was played in Adelaide.

Bob - if you think the standard was bad on Saturday, you should have seen them last year.

I agree that some of the young blokes playing currently in the AFL are doing it tough and need to be brought back to Casey. It's been good having them playing where they will get games in their legs but ANB and Billy Stretch are looking tired and Angus hasn't been the same since his knock. Players like the Russian, Jack Grimes and Jordie have done enough to earn a return and a few of the bigger bodies will be helpful at this time of year.

Hunt is interesting but like King should be held back for the future. Interestingly, Hunt is leading Casey's goalkicking after just three games at senior level and King is not far behind him. What I like is that we're developing a pool of young blokes in much the same way that Roos nurtured a few at Sydney which paid off with a flag to Longmire.

• Like 3

Bob, the standard of the games I've seen has been largely dependent upon how many AFL listed players are in the teams involved. For the game you saw at Princess Park, Casey had 15 MFC players (and that was for the second week in a row) which is the best they've had for the season. Earlier in the year, they had good numbers but as injuries built up the number got to around 10 and in those circumstances, the standard drops off even more. The Northern Blues were said to have been depleted in AFL player numbers as well but I did notice the cream of their 2014/5 recruiting like Jaksch, Whilley and Liam Jones :wub:.

Casey should do well if they keep up the numbers and especially if they can play Jamar and Spencer in the same team, they could go all the way because big man strength is so vital in this competition.

Overall however, I feel the standard is in decline and I suppose it has to do with the way football is structured at the so-called "elite" level. The introduction of new franchise clubs has meant the quality players are spread around a little bit more and I don't think the money's there to keep good VFL listed players around either. It's much lower than the "old" days when we were aligned with Sandy.

Where were you sitting for the game - in that retreat in the John Elliott stand? It was too cold for me in the inner sanctum.

Where were you sitting for the game - in that retreat in the John Elliott stand? It was too cold for me in the inner sanctum.

I sat in the old John Elliott stand for the first half (now the Heroes?) and then in the stand on the other side of the ground next to the coaches box for the second half. Better view and warmer there, don't know why I went to the other one to start with.

I think the standard of "entertainment" has dropped in the VFL because these teams now play "AFL" footy. They have the ability to run and tackle and crowd around the ball and keep it in but they don't have the ability to move it quickly into the open. Roos would probably tell you they are playing their role so when they do play AFL they are ready. Whatever the situation it's not a good spectacle unfortunately. I remember fondly the Sandy days and also the Bailey days where we were a turnover team who played open, fast and attacking footy. It was so good to watch but in todays contested ball era probably not effective. Sad.

Anyway, Casey are doing well which is good for all.

Casey scored 100, had 49 inside 50's, had a healthy kick to handball ratio, seemingly dominated the hitouts and inside ball and still had 60 tackles (compared to NB 77). I'd say they played a pretty balanced game between attacking and defending.

Toumpas' game doesn't look that great on stats but he had 7 inside 50's and 3 rebound 50's which likely indicates he did a good job of working both ways.

I'm glad our mature depth player types are finishing out the season strongly even if there's obviously a few too many of them and they haven't been able to make the impact at AFL level they'd like. But it's good leadership for the younger players.

Newton is one guy I'd really like to see lift between now and the end of the season.

I wonder if the likes of Jamar, Grimes and Toumpas are being kept at Casey to keep them fresh for the last 4 or 5 senior games, so that as soon as the younger guys drop off, we'll have proven players (proven, not superstars) all refreshed so that we don't drop off too much. Same as timing when Hunt may debut, although based on his stats on the weekend, he didn't lay one tackle.

Chances are what I have written above makes no sense at all - it makes perfect sense in my head.

Nb. I could be reading too much in to it, and that those players are just not good enough to crack the senior side!

• Like 1

Bob, the standard of the games I've seen has been largely dependent upon how many AFL listed players are in the teams involved. For the game you saw at Princess Park, Casey had 15 MFC players (and that was for the second week in a row) which is the best they've had for the season. Earlier in the year, they had good numbers but as injuries built up the number got to around 10 and in those circumstances, the standard drops off even more. The Northern Blues were said to have been depleted in AFL player numbers as well but I did notice the cream of their 2014/5 recruiting like Jaksch, Whilley and Liam Jones :wub:.

Casey should do well if they keep up the numbers and especially if they can play Jamar and Spencer in the same team, they could go all the way because big man strength is so vital in this competition.

Overall however, I feel the standard is in decline and I suppose it has to do with the way football is structured at the so-called "elite" level. The introduction of new franchise clubs has meant the quality players are spread around a little bit more and I don't think the money's there to keep good VFL listed players around either. It's much lower than the "old" days when we were aligned with Sandy.

the strategic game-plans belong solely to rotations football. the ability via plenty of rotations, & so players being burst players these days, allows for such defensive crowding of space.

Thus the need for strong strategies & some set plays, enforced thru strict team trained disciplines (robotic style play) & the death-knell of spontaneous & creative individuals in footy.

this isn't the fault of any coach, but of the advent of fully professional footballers, who got a sound grounding at private schools by ex AFL players coaching. Then onto AFL lists, & then enter into the Sports sciences diets & training, & Voila, athletes who can run flat-out for at least 5 minutes at a time, then rest for 3 or so, & back into it again.

...... these players flourish via the interchange bench rotations. & they die without these rotations. Thats when the game begins to open up, & creativity shows its ugly face. who needs it, creativity.... just too colourful & bright.

the strategic game-plans belong solely to rotations football. the ability via plenty of rotations, & so players being burst players these days, allows for such defensive crowding of space.

Thus the need for strong strategies & some set plays, enforced thru strict team trained disciplines (robotic style play) & the death-knell of spontaneous & creative individuals in footy.

this isn't the fault of any coach, but of the advent of fully professional footballers, who got a sound grounding at private schools by ex AFL players coaching. Then onto AFL lists, & then enter into the Sports sciences diets & training, & Voila, athletes who can run flat-out for at least 5 minutes at a time, then rest for 3 or so, & back into it again.

...... these players flourish via the interchange bench rotations. & they die without these rotations. Thats when the game begins to open up, & creativity shows its ugly face. who needs it, creativity.... just too colourful & bright.

Professionalism also increases the gap between the elite and lower grades.

Here is the rnd 14 player reviews: http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-07-22/vfl-player-review-round-14 Quite frank as always. Really valuable commentary to see how players are tracking in the coach's eyes.

A few extracts on our younger players:

Jayden Hunt: Jayden’s been a real find for us and he’s developed really quickly and he’s played three really solid games in the VFL now. His impact around the footy, particularly when he had some space was very, very exciting.

Max King: Kingy had seven possessions and the one thing I really liked about his game was his ability to compete and bring the ball to ground. He was able to compete and create opportunities for our smaller forwards. I thought from a compliant point of view, he was good.

Oscar McDonald: Every week he seems to get better in the areas we need him to focus on.

Ben Newton: We wanted to challenge Ben with his work around the contest and his tackling...Ben’s playing his role, but we’ve got some things we’re really encouraging Ben to continue to improve on.

Jimmy Toumpas: It was the second week in a row that he had high tackles. It’s an area of his game that we’re really encouraging Toump to improve in.

These are selective extracts on my part. Its easy to see the parallels with how Roos is coaching the seniors eg Max King.

I really like that each player is being given specific things to work on and assessed accordingly and not so much on stats.

Real player development, at last!

Looks like somebody disagrees with you. From the coaches VFL player review.

"Viv Michie: Viv’s had a good couple of weeks. He ended up with 25 possessions and three effective tackles. Viv provided us with good ball use and linked inside 50. He ended up having nine clearances, which was the highest for the day from our midfield players, so his work around the stoppages was really strong. He played his role really well and also gave us some quality ball use and link-up work. I can’t fault Viv at the moment. His attitude has been tremendous since being dropped back to the VFL."