How is Heritier Lumumba travelling?

PaulRB

No problem with playing on, big problem playing on when it's the wrong decision.

He got caught WAY too much yesterday, and this ended in hurried kicks usually directly to the opposition.

I like players who back themselves, but he reminds of Jones circa 2009... get ball, run into brick wall of players, turn over ball.

Every player has to know his limitations.

We're the worst uncontested team in the league. We need to get out and running. H would be under instructions to do so, his team mates need to look at his example and run when he does. He was a big factor in getting us moving yesterday. Once we started going members side boundary stop/start we started losing.

Once everyone starts running people will get caught less. It's actually the other players fault if H gets caught, they should be giving him an option.

2 clangers, 72.5% efficiency. Don't know how that means he "usually" turned it over.

Edited by stuie
  • Like 1

I see what he is trying to do.

Our side has allowed opponents to dicate terms and we need players who have strong attacking instincts like Jones, Brayshaw, Lumumba.

But you gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em, know when to walk away, know when to run.

I like the idea, his execution and when to do it needs some work.

It's gonna backfire sometimes, but we need more instinct and less boundary line IMO. Hopefully H is teaching the kids coming through, cos it seems too late for the senior guys to do it.

Watching him yesterday, I think his body works ten times quicker than his brain. He takes five steps and runs himself into trouble before his brain kicks in and he offloads to an unsuspecting teammate.

Either that or he craps his dacks every time he takes possession.

The problem isnt so much with Harry...its with the rest of the team. We have to respond and be as confidently proactive as he is. Harry is ahead of us in a sense , we have to catch up

• Like 2

The problem isnt so much with Harry...its with the rest of the team. We have to respond and be as confidently proactive as he is. Harry is ahead of us in a sense , we have to catch up

Running without the ball. We haven't done this for 10 years. Would not only help us be more direct and instinctual, but would make our skills seem a heck of a lot better seeing we'd have options for a change. H has come from a team that will run and spread, the fact that he's getting caught sometimes is an indictment on that, not on him as a player.

• Like 2

I have no problem with how he plays - he breaks our mould, he relieves our inertia. If you have ever played a game of bball with guys who will never drive and just pass around to each other - you put up a terrible 3 and have no chance.

HL drives, he 'does something' in a team that struggles to do anything at times.

Sometimes he screws up and it is all on him, sometimes he screws up but it is because another player didn't push to get there because he isn't used to a player even trying to get it to him there.

I think we can all agree that HL demands more from those up the ground and I am ok with that...

• Like 7

Fair to say Lumumba had a poor game. Got a fair bit of the ball by his standards which turned out to be a bad thing. Credit to him though, rarely did it hurt us. Don't think he got caught once

so how did he have a bad game?. He was the reason we got up and running after a crap start.

There was a period in the game where Lumumba, Toumpas, and Garland were all sharing the ball between themselves and every time they gave it off I reckon a day was taken off my life I was that nervous. Credit to them they all came to a better standard throughout the game but I didn't like that they were all responsible for getting the ball out!

Edited by Pates
  • Like 1

Its a bit of what BB Stuie and others said. This is not Collingwood circa 2010/2011. Players around H need to recognise when the press hasn't had time to set up properly and run in support.

The rebounds at Collingwood must have been super fast back then as there is also a requirement for H to recognise when we need to work our way through a well set up press that's had too much time already and well structured. Hard to play on through that and succeed bery often. But under that scenario we also need to see alot more leads from in front of play both wide and through the middle of the ground.

In addition way too many rebounds of ours (from turnovers) start deep in our def 50. Our mids need to pressure more through the middle for more turnovers to start from there. Will score alot more from that position and take the pressure of the backs where there's far too much load for too long during a match. Eventually the numbers will get any defence if you can't force turnovers through the middle or keep it in your halfof the ground for long. Our pressure inside 50 is also not up to most other teams in the AFL bar the bottom 4 to 6 around us.

• Like 2

Its a bit of what BB Stuie and others said. This is not Collingwood circa 2010/2011. Players around H need to recognise when the press hasn't had time to set up properly and run in support.

The rebounds at Collingwood must have been super fast back then as there is also a requirement for H to recognise when we need to work our way through a well set up press that's had too much time already and well structured. Hard to play on through that and succeed bery often. But under that scenario we also need to see alot more leads from in front of play both wide and through the middle of the ground.

In addition way too many rebounds of ours (from turnovers) start deep in our def 50. Our mids need to pressure more through the middle for more turnovers to start from there. Will score alot more from that position and take the pressure of the backs where there's far too much load for too long during a match. Eventually the numbers will get any defence if you can't force turnovers through the middle or keep it in your halfof the ground for long. Our pressure inside 50 is also not up to most other teams in the AFL bar the bottom 4 to 6 around us.

Something some will have noticed is when teams like Collingwood rebound they'll surge through the guts. Often 3-4 players suddenly amass giving options and a running string of options. When we do it theres seldom anyone. Even those two goals Jeffy got off of Gus...it was him or no one up field.

We need to run more, and confidently and in so cause a problem for the opposition. Yes its a sort of throwback to the run and carry days, not all together a bad thing if done well. Having the defensive skills to back it up is the difference. Something I know from my Bball days is you can be attacking and defending all in the same second.It can oscillate rapidly. Footy has become very similar in that respect. Its all about adjusting to the play...but very quickly and emphatically.

• Like 1

Lumumba is necessary. He isn't psychologically broken like a lot of our playing list tend to be.

The body language of Nath Jones, McDonald, Toumpas and Watts - in interviews - says a lot about the psychology of the club.

Roos has had a lot of work to do, Lumumba is a necessary ingredient, he is a strong personality - with a lot of strong beliefs.

It is no coincidence that Vince, Vandenberg, Brayshaw, Cross and Tyson, have shown more than in a short time - than some of our list has shown in their careers.

IMO we just need to restock our list with some more quality FA, continue to find the list balance of youth and experience. I think we'll improve rapidly in 2016-17.

Plays 1950s style football.

you realise we won 4 premierships in the 50's :)

• Like 1

so how did he have a bad game?. He was the reason we got up and running after a crap start.

How many of his disposals were actually useful? How many times did he release someone on the outside, or kick it to the advantage of someone ahead? I'd love to see his metres gained - I'd be tipping it wouldn't be that much considering the amount of possessions he had.

Don't think he was the reason we got up and running at all. That was very much due to Vince and Jones

• Like 1

lol Lumumba demands this, Lumumba tries to do that...

How about Lumumba doesn't turn his back on one of the hottest forwards in the game and let him run in and slot a goal. Embarrassing.

How about he doesn't hospital handball someone during one of his predictable 1-2 attempts.

Seriously, he's played one good game for us. Yet it's everyone else's fault how he plays? Maybe we should sack Roos and make Heritier the coach so we play the Lumumba way.

You know know he's a flop when Travis [censored] Varcoe has been the better player in the deal.

• Like 2

How about Lumumba doesn't turn his back on one of the hottest forwards in the game and let him run in and slot a goal. Embarrassing.

How about he doesn't hospital handball someone during one of his predictable 1-2 attempts.

Seriously, he's played one good game for us. Yet it's everyone else's fault how he plays? Maybe we should sack Roos and make Heritier the coach so we play the Lumumba way.

You know know he's a flop when Travis [censored] Varcoe has been the better player in the deal.

I don't think you have watched much of Varcoe...

He has played more than one good game, and I think you made up your mind a few weeks ago and are only looking for things that happen to solidify that opinion.

You're welcome to it, but I am in my right mind and I am saying that I think he has been good for this team.

• Like 2

He runs like Scooby-Doo. His legs run faster than the rest of him.

Only when no-one's making position for him to give it to, and no-one's shepherding to clear a path.

Footy is a team game.

• Like 1

Plays 1950s style football.

So he marks the ball and goes back behind the mark and does a drop kick ? Hadn't noticed that.

It's the good with the bad. I think he has been fair - He is coming into a team that doesn't spread as well as his previous team and make room and space for him to run into.

Yeah there has been some heart in mouth stuff and some complete stuff ups - but I like that he doesn't change the way he plays ( not sure he knows how). The easiest way ( as shown by Brayshaw) is playing on and quick breaks into our forward half. HL plays that way.

H took the game on. I liked it

I wish that we had about 10 more players with the same attitude.

and that they would know the direction of the goals ( ours ) and make it their job to run that way !!!

How about the umpire marking the mark ALONGSIDE of H instead of behind him so that when he calls play on he doesn't block H's run at the player playing on lol. H had no chance with the Ump putting such an effective block on the mark!