Post Match Discussion, Pontification and Prayer

Demonland

So what is the real deal with Watts

Will we find out?

crossroads if I were to hazard a guess. I dont say that joyfull or any such just its seems an obvious observation ( call me capt )

I admire the guys spunk in so far as he has to continually get himself up , only to fall down. For the many efforts hes not really that far advanced along the path , not nearly where he would want to be and feel comfortable about it and he's even caused dismay from the coach who's openly penned that if it were hi he'd be in Hawaii !! so The lad is rally at that time where one of two things is going to happen. Maybe 2-1/2......... He continues his admirable knuckling down and somehow it all jells. It can. You can just have those epithanies where this finally goes with that etc and the cogs mesh and its all happening. Or.......He thinks FTFAJ...lifes too short what else can I do.......or....this is the '1/2" ...maybe a 'change of environment" ......fresh fields.

Hes obviously distinctly rattled by it all. Ive learnt to effectively dismiss ANYTHING a coach ever says about these things as its only ever spin ( for whos benefit its irrelvant ) but to pay close attention what what 'happens"

Despite all my own frustrations with Jack I honestly wish he could play to those abilities. Hes a elite thinker, better than most of our lot, just a shame it doesnt marry the rest of the game

we can start another JW thread and go round the block a few more times but to answer your question SWYL.. I think hes in a really crappy place and wil ljust have to listen to his intuition. Am sure the coaches will support him whichhever way...cant be much fun

• Like 3

So how was the foundation heroes night after such a putrid performance ?

So what is the real deal with Watts

Will we find out?

The night started slowly but with a room full of supporters determined for the club to do well you cant help feel more optimistic.

I spoke to a senior person in the Football department who said it was good for the players to be there seeing that they have supporters behind them rather than being home on the couch stewing over the loss and reading social media. He said that players get no chance these days to be out of the spotlight unlike when he played and they read the social media about their performances (like this forum) which is a major player management issue. He was glad they were away from that for an evening in a friendly and positive enviroment. I think you will find the real deal with Watts is they want to give him a chance to play a bit of footy out of the spotlight.

I didn't go near Roos who in his unguarded moments looked filthy. Nathan Jones was clearly very upset by the loss (he is carrying a small niggle from gardening earlier in the year which flares up from time to time). Every player I spoke to was hoping Roos meant it when he said there would be no review, they all knew the performance stank and was unacceptable.

Nev is unlikely to play next week but will be back the week after.

• Like 9

The night started slowly but with a room full of supporters determined for the club to do well you cant help feel more optimistic.

I spoke to a senior person in the Football department who said it was good for the players to be there seeing that they have supporters behind them rather than being home on the couch stewing over the loss and reading social media. He said that players get no chance these days to be out of the spotlight unlike when he played and they read the social media about their performances (like this forum) which is a major player management issue. He was glad they were away from that for an evening in a friendly and positive enviroment. I think you will find the real deal with Watts is they want to give him a chance to play a bit of footy out of the spotlight.

I didn't go near Roos who in his unguarded moments looked filthy. Nathan Jones was clearly very upset by the loss (he is carrying a small niggle from gardening earlier in the year which flares up from time to time). Every player I spoke to was hoping Roos meant it when he said there would be no review, they all knew the performance stank and was unacceptable.

Glad this backs up my arguement about players have social life and not being at home looking in a mirror like some id iot suggested yesterday.

At the end of the days these players are only human. The loss would hurt em enough as it is. And people like Saty are absolutely kidding themselves when they say players don't read these forums. Players do it and thats why in the inner sanctum of the club players are always getting educated on how to deal with these issues.

Edited by dazzledavey36

When we lose like we did on Saturday, I often seek solace in my music - along with a few beers - to soothe my jaded nerves. On Saturday night I went through my extensive collection of old vinyl LP's. The first one to jump out at me was 'Days of Future Past" by the Moody Blues. It was almost as if that album sensed my despair - short lived I might add.

Despite our constant debates on here in the past, regarding previous coaches, what has become clear to me is that our 're-build' still remains very much a work in progress. Of greater concern to me is that we appear to still carry the scars of the previous 'regime'. No matter how bad losses have been in the past, I have tried to stay until the final siren. On Saturday, I just couldn't bear it and walked out of the 'G with my head down and shoulders hunched over, at about the 5 minute mark of the last quarter. I am embarrassed to admit that. I very much want to believe in a positive future, but am finding it increasingly difficult to do so. To me, it is almost like the players thought these past 3 weeks were always going to be a write off, but after that, we would be OK.

I am not sure of that at all and just wonder if the damage done over the past 3 weeks, is a replica of what occurred in dark days under Neeld.

Since listening to the Album again, the lyrics of "The Afternoon: Forever Afternoon/Time to Get Away" keeps going through my head. I don't want to sound defeatist, but I haven't felt so low, as I did at 5:00 pm on Saturday, in a long time. Yes, I know, we played a very professional and talented football side, but any loss of that magnitude still bothers me.

Bullies at the 'G on Sunday? All I ask is for a performance befitting any AFL footy team.

• Like 3

I could write pages and pages about that pathetic performance, but I believe our biggest is problem at present is as follows: Nobody (with the possible exception of Nathan Jones) is willing to stand up and be the one who takes the game on. Everybody else wants to take the 20m sideways kick to an teammate, or give the hospital handpass, just so they don't get credited with the turnover.

Vince gave two hospital handpasses in a minute in the last quarter - the first resulted in Howe being caught holding the ball because he had about four blokes surrounding him when he took possession. Lumumba is another who is always desperate to make it someone else's problem.

Inevitably we turn the ball over because the recipient is under more pressure than the handpasser, or we are forced to kick down the line to a contest, instead of allowing our forwards to compete one out.

• Like 1

Moody Blues !! Noice :)

• Like 1

Glad this backs up my arguement about players have social life and not being at home looking in a mirror like some id iot suggested yesterday.

At the end of the days these players are only human. The loss would hurt em enough as it is. And people like Saty are absolutely kidding themselves when they say players don't read these forums. Players do it and thats why in the inner sanctum of the club players are always getting educated on how to deal with these issues.

you should have been at the dinner to individually give them all a cuddle and tell them 'don't worry the supporters still love you, go ahead and lose by as much as you want' then a nice little hot chocky and a kiss on the forehead before bed. Soft soft soft. I am sure you said exactly the same thing after the early Bailey and Neeld floggings

Seems ironic that Jones goes in hard every single week and rarely if ever gets injured, yet it's gardening that takes him down.

• Like 3

I could write pages and pages about that pathetic performance, but I believe our biggest is problem at present is as follows: Nobody (with the possible exception of Nathan Jones) is willing to stand up and be the one who takes the game on. Everybody else wants to take the 20m sideways kick to an teammate, or give the hospital handpass, just so they don't get credited with the turnover.

Vince gave two hospital handpasses in a minute in the last quarter - the first resulted in Howe being caught holding the ball because he had about four blokes surrounding him when he took possession. Lumumba is another who is always desperate to make it someone else's problem.

Inevitably we turn the ball over because the recipient is under more pressure than the handpasser, or we are forced to kick down the line to a contest, instead of allowing our forwards to compete one out.

It's because they don't care. They don't really need to care anyway because they will continually be excused by supporters like dazzledavey who seem to be so used to getting flogged they have actually become fond of it, and are soft as tissue paper. As I said yesterday, if the scoreline was the other way around, Hawthorn supporters and players simply would not stand for it. They would not be out on the turps that night and the next week they would stand up and come out with a message. What do you think our message will be next week. something soft penned by dazzle I'm guessing, and another belting. I for one would like the 22 players on the ground to demonstrate they care even 10% as much as your average demonlander does about the jumper.

"Days of Future Past" wow that is a beautiful memory

Great album.

in this day of instant this and that..of singular "contributions" by the current zoo of artists the wonderful indulgence of the 'concept' album has all but disappeared....shame

treating myself atm to In search of the lost chord : as I do some pc work ( am off site work til hearing fixes itself hopefully ).....might follow up with some Parsons later :)

anyhow back to the topic..lol

If we are supposed to junk last Sat's game we will have to judge our lot by this coming one and how they bounce back or not. Given they're supposed already knackered 7 games in Im not going to get too excited

• Like 1

It's because they don't care. They don't really need to care anyway because they will continually be excused by supporters like dazzledavey who seem to be so used to getting flogged they have actually become fond of it, and are soft as tissue paper. As I said yesterday, if the scoreline was the other way around, Hawthorn supporters and players simply would not stand for it. They would not be out on the turps that night and the next week they would stand up and come out with a message. What do you think our message will be next week. something soft penned by dazzle I'm guessing, and another belting. I for one would like the 22 players on the ground to demonstrate they care even 10% as much as your average demonlander does about the jumper.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Does anyone know how bad Salem's hammy was? Did it look like a Kent 10-12 week job or more your 2-3 weeks?

I don't know, but surely it won't be as long as Kent's. I can't recall ever hearing of a 10 week diagnosis for a hammy straight up before. That is surely as severe as it gets?

I thought you only have a crack in retaliation?

Hypocrite.

I don't know, but surely it won't be as long as Kent's. I can't recall ever hearing of a 10 week diagnosis for a hammy straight up. That is surely as severe as it gets?

Not to mention Kent's looked horrible at the time. The club likes to be conservative though so I wouldn't expect to see Salem for a month.

in this day of instant this and that..of singular "contributions" by the current zoo of artists the wonderful indulgence of the 'concept' album has all but disappeared....shame

treating myself atm to In search of the lost chord : as I do some pc work ( am off site work til hearing fixes itself hopefully ).....might follow up with some Parsons later :)

anyhow back to the topic..lol

If we are supposed to junk last Sat's game we will have to judge our lot by this coming one and how they bounce back or not. Given they're supposed already knackered 7 games in Im not going to get too excited

Footscray will run this team into oblivion

Mentally they have no fibre. It is a psychcologist's dream this club. Schwab did incredible damage on so many levels.

Like i have said before and i still believe it

All players who were involved in 186 must be moved on. That was the day the jumper was soiled totally.

5 seasons later nothing has changed as far as performance goes

PJ excluded.

• Like 1

Highlight of the day for mine was before the game had even started, seeing Strawbs, Dirty Dave Williams and Newport at the MFC/MCC function. We showed glimpses in the first half, we held the ball for a period of time in the second qtr but couldn't capitalise, no Hogan to bring the ball down really.

Second half was Neeldesque, it shows our skills are still awful and mentally we're still not tougher enough to grind our way through a game.

Playing the top three sides in three weeks is not ideal, but I was hoping for one honourable loss out of that three, IMO we came out 0-3.

This sunday looms as our most important game of the year.

The dogs will come out fall of run and wanting to make a statement early; it will be how we answer this challenge, if we can maintain the intensity and play some good footy ourselves. Its not matter of whether we win or lose, but we if can't play out 4 quarters this week - our year's cactus.

• Like 2

Highlight of the day for mine was before the game had even started, seeing Strawbs, Dirty Dave Williams and Newport at the MFC/MCC function. We showed glimpses in the first half, we held the ball for a period of time in the second qtr but couldn't capitalise, no Hogan to bring the ball down really.

Second half was Neeldesque, it shows our skills are still awful and mentally we're still not tougher enough to grind our way through a game.

Playing the top three sides in three weeks is not ideal, but I was hoping for one honourable loss out of that three, IMO we came out 0-3.

This sunday looms as our most important game of the year.

The dogs will come out fall of run and wanting to make a statement early; it will be how we answer this challenge, if we can maintain the intensity and play some good footy ourselves. Its not matter of whether we win or lose, but we if can't play out 4 quarters this week - our year's cactus.

and we have a nasty habit of giving teams a qtr start.. all over red rover...woof :(

I don't know, but surely it won't be as long as Kent's. I can't recall ever hearing of a 10 week diagnosis for a hammy straight up before. That is surely as severe as it gets?

4(+?) weeks for concussion is quite alarming too

• Like 1

we are going to have a side very far from full strength

i reckon the only chance we have is to play tight man on man and hope the extra pressure breaks their structure

but i can't see roos going for man on man as a game plan

.....and that it's a wet rainy day

• Like 1

Kent's was pretty much off the bone. I heard Salem was a 'regular' strain but not 100% sure.