• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Changes for round 5

Gipsy Danger

Given that our injured list is lengthening, it's comforting to know that in blokes like Bail, Grimes and Pedo we've got experienced players who'll give it a real go.

Yes but giving it a go and being any bloody good are two different things.
  • Like 1

I know this is never going to happen, but I'd like to see Terlich brought in for Kent. His disposal is iffy, I'll grant you, but he has plenty of hunger for the contest and tackles hard. If his primary job was to cause some havoc in the forward line (creating spillages that JKH and Jeffy could capitalise on) then I reckon he could excel.

• Like 2

I quite like this, but based on what I saw last Sunday, Toumpas is nowhere near ready. Attracts the ball well, but continually gives it up both by hand and foot. Fitzpatrick though was good down back and is not a bad ruck backup. I would say:

OUT: Kent, Jetta

IN: Fitzpatrick, Grimes.

I quite like this, but based on what I saw last Sunday, Toumpas is nowhere near ready. Attracts the ball well, but continually gives it up both by hand and foot. Fitzpatrick though was good down back and is not a bad ruck backup. I would say:

IN: Fitzpatrick, Grimes.

I live in Sydney so don't get to the VFL but if Toumpas can't improve his disposal by years end under Roos/McCartney/Goodwin he can go. There's no more hanging on/wasn't developed properly/played to early crap. I remember when kids from SA and WA were all the rage because as kids they played against men. Start looking(if not already) for the next Vandenberg. All players coming to the club need to be competitors and need to be able to use the footy.

Those calling for Gawn to combat Sandilands really needed to be at Whitten Oval yesterday, unfortunately big Maxy is not in form, he was very ordinary

I agree TDI. I was there and he had little impact.

By the by a nice spot to watch the footy. Good memories as the last time i was there as that famous game at the end of the home and away season in 87. I reckon it is a real boon for the bullies having their admin, social club, merch shop at their own training ground. Good set up. Bit jealous actually.

Good to see H there supporting the boys and i just love listening to the coaches address. Lots of talk about brand (eg 'our brand of football')

• Like 1

I know this is never going to happen, but I'd like to see Terlich brought in for Kent. His disposal is iffy, I'll grant you, but he has plenty of hunger for the contest and tackles hard. If his primary job was to cause some havoc in the forward line (creating spillages that JKH and Jeffy could capitalise on) then I reckon he could excel.

it's worth consideration

comment was made that his kicking was improved

Seem to recall that being tried once and it was a horrible failure.

B Garland, T McDonald, Salem
HB Howe, Dunn, Grimes
C Vince, Cross, Lumumba
HF Watts, Hogan, Bail
F Vandenberg, Dawes, Garlett
Fol Jamar, Tyson, N Jones
Int Brayshaw, Michie, Kennedy-Harris, Newton (Sub)

• Grimes for Jetta
  • Bail for Kent
  • Definitely not two ruckman - it would make us way too slow.
  • Matt Jones for Tyson if injured.
  • I am a bit worried about their midfield and forward line, particularly their small forwards.
  • Like 2

B Garland, T McDonald, Salem

HB Howe, Dunn, Grimes

C Vince, Cross, Lumumba

HF Watts, Hogan, Bail

F Vandenberg, Dawes, Garlett

Fol Jamar, Tyson, N Jones

Int Brayshaw, Michie, Kennedy-Harris, Newton (Sub)

• Grimes for Jetta
  • Bail for Kent
  • Definitely not two ruckman - it would make us way too slow.
  • Matt Jones for Tyson if injured.
  • I am a bit worried about their midfield and forward line, particularly their small forwards.

Definitely WILL need 2 ruckmen. Jamar cannot take on both Zac Clarke and Sandilands. Richmond only had Maric as a recognised ruckman.

And not only that, they rest in the forward line, so you need to match them with (almost) equally tall players.

Fitzpatrick and Pedersen might have their chance this week.....

I'd prefer to play a quality backman than a ruckman who plays back on a forward. Eg sandi rests forward and we put the backup ruckman on him? Or bring in Fitzpatrick? he will monster either anyway.

But a McDonald playing on him who can run jump and spoil would in my mind be a smarter decision.. He would then run off him and create. He wouldn't get sucked into a 1v1 duel.

Similar to us bringing in Gawn. I see that as a negative when forward as they have the quality backman to not only defend him but run off him (even though they are 10cm smaller.

If Jetta is to miss one week for concussion why does has Grimes have to replace him? Why can't Bail play that "role" for a week.

Because Grimes is a very good player and in the best 22 - simple.

The Kent one is tougher - Toumpas has never shown anything at AFL level.

Maybe another tall because of Sandilands - Gawn - very raw - Pedersen deserves a shot but hardly equipped to pinch hit in the ruck against Sandilands.

Definitely WILL need 2 ruckmen. Jamar cannot take on both Zac Clarke and Sandilands. Richmond only had Maric as a recognised ruckman.

And not only that, they rest in the forward line, so you need to match them with (almost) equally tall players.

Fitzpatrick and Pedersen might have their chance this week.....

How recognised is Clarke as a ruckman? How much more than Griffiths?

I'd do the following:

IN: Spencer, Grimes

If Tyson is also out, I'd include Toumpas but start him as the sub.

I know Spencer has few friends here on Demonland but put yourself in his shoes. He's been working on developing an AFL ready ruckman's body for 7 years now. He's entering his prime. He showed in small glimpses early last year that he was competitive in the ruck and fast (when compared to say Sandilands) around the ground. He was cruelled by injury (and not for the first time) and missed a big chunk of the season. He's worked hard to get back, looks even bigger and has the form at Casey to justify his inclusion. I'd start him in the middle against Sandilands. He's taller and more athletic than Jamar and will relish running into the ageing giant. He'd be jumping out of his skin to have another crack and would relish the challenge of proving himself against the best. Jamar has had a good pre-season but faded badly last year. We need to manage him. I'd start him deep forward. The endurance and work ethic of both Hogan and Dawes allow us to do this. McPharlin and Johnson would go to Hogan and Dawes. Who takes Jamar? Freo are an amazing side but could be left a key defender short if we go with a three pronged tall approach. Obviously Jamar leaves us exposed on the rebound but we need to seek a point of difference if we're going to pull off an upset. Jamar deep with Garlett and JKH at his feet and Dawes and Hogan presenting up at the ball might work. And when Sandilands rests, Jamar will have an advantage over Clarke.

Grimes is the obvious replacement for Jetta as most have suggested here. I'd play Grimes on Mayne, Garland on Ballantyne and Salem on Walters. As much as McDonald has simply taken the standout opposition forward each week, I'd actually play him on Clarke this week to allow him to zone off more regularly to take even more intercept marks. I'd back in Dunn against Pavlich and gamble on Howe matching Taberner. Obviously he'd be giving away 7 cms but at this point in time Taberner isn't quite the monster he'll no doubt turn into and Howe will be able to work up to the wing with him and hopefully read it better when the ball comes in deep. Grimes will be driven to make an impact. He is a proud young footballer and I expect him to get the job done whether it's Mayne, Ballantyne or Walters he gets.

Fingers crossed Tyson gets up. As soon as a team makes more than two changes, I get nervous. Stability is so important.

• Like 2

I'd do the following:

IN: Spencer, Grimes

If Tyson is also out, I'd include Toumpas but start him as the sub.

I know Spencer has few friends here on Demonland but put yourself in his shoes. He's been working on developing an AFL ready ruckman's body for 7 years now. He's entering his prime. He showed in small glimpses early last year that he was competitive in the ruck and fast (when compared to say Sandilands) around the ground. He was cruelled by injury (and not for the first time) and missed a big chunk of the season. He's worked hard to get back, looks even bigger and has the form at Casey to justify his inclusion. I'd start him in the middle against Sandilands. He's taller and more athletic than Jamar and will relish running into the ageing giant. He'd be jumping out of his skin to have another crack and would relish the challenge of proving himself against the best. Jamar has had a good pre-season but faded badly last year. We need to manage him. I'd start him deep forward. The endurance and work ethic of both Hogan and Dawes allow us to do this. McPharlin and Johnson would go to Hogan and Dawes. Who takes Jamar? Freo are an amazing side but could be left a key defender short if we go with a three pronged tall approach. Obviously Jamar leaves us exposed on the rebound but we need to seek a point of difference if we're going to pull off an upset. Jamar deep with Garlett and JKH at his feet and Dawes and Hogan presenting up at the ball might work. And when Sandilands rests, Jamar will have an advantage over Clarke.

Grimes is the obvious replacement for Jetta as most have suggested here. I'd play Grimes on Mayne, Garland on Ballantyne and Salem on Walters. As much as McDonald has simply taken the standout opposition forward each week, I'd actually play him on Clarke this week to allow him to zone off more regularly to take even more intercept marks. I'd back in Dunn against Pavlich and gamble on Howe matching Taberner. Obviously he'd be giving away 7 cms but at this point in time Taberner isn't quite the monster he'll no doubt turn into and Howe will be able to work up to the wing with him and hopefully read it better when the ball comes in deep. Grimes will be driven to make an impact. He is a proud young footballer and I expect him to get the job done whether it's Mayne, Ballantyne or Walters he gets.

Fingers crossed Tyson gets up. As soon as a team makes more than two changes, I get nervous. Stability is so important.

You make a fair point re Spencer but it is just to much of a risk/weakness having him as the main ruckman. I have never really believed in Spencer but maybe Spencer Jamar both get 50% ruck time (meaning when they are in the ruck they are rested). Jamar has proven to be somewhat effective up forward however Spencer would be a bit of a liability and slow the team down.

Alternatively [Pedersen] could come in as he is less of a liability up forward and could ruck 25%.

Edited by Young Dee

I reckon Sandi is so much better as a tap ruckman than any of our blokes that trying to beat him at his own game is a waste of time. I reckon you bring in Pedersen and tell him to rove off Sandi's taps, or smash the first Freo midfielder that touches it, or create a lane for Bernie Vince / Jeremy Howe to go third-man-up.

Sandi is so dominant that I reckon the best response to is give him the ruck for free and have an extra player on the ground at every stoppage.

Edited by autocol
  • Like 2

I reckon Sandi is so much better as a tap ruckman that trying to beat him at his own game is a waste of time. I reckon you bring in Pedersen and tell him to rove off Sandi's taps, or smash the first Freo midfielder that touches it, or create a lane for Bernie Vince / Jeremy Howe to go third-man-up.

Sandi is so dominant that I reckon the best response to is give him the ruck for free and have an extra player on the ground at every stoppage.

I'd like to see them go into this game with a plan of how to win it. What the plan actually does is less important. This one might work or it might not, but we need to try something.

I'll be really disappointed to hear after the match, "Oh, we just prepared like any other game, we didn't have anything special pre-planned. We just took it as it comes." That equals a 10-12 goal loss.

I'd like to see them go into this game with a plan of how to win it. What the plan actually does is less important. This one might work or it might not, but we need to try something.

I'll be really disappointed to hear after the match, "Oh, we just prepared like any other game, we didn't have anything special pre-planned. We just took it as it comes." That equals a 10-12 goal loss.

They go into every game with a plan, it's whether they can execute it successfully that is the issue

• Like 2

Me, I don't care if Roos picks Spencer, if he does I know the big Pencil will run himself into the ground for the team, he has his shortcomings but not giving it everything he has got isn't one of them, and that is part of the mantra now, all you have to do is play your role for 4 quarters

• Like 3

Me, I don't care if Roos picks Spencer, if he does I know the big Pencil will run himself into the ground for the team, he has his shortcomings but not giving it everything he has got isn't one of them, and that is part of the mantra now, all you have to do is play your role for 4 quarters

I don't think he will though 'DI'. Spencer is pretty much a ruck and needs to play that position. Unless they can use Jamar forward which I doubt they will I would go with Grimes and Bail.

Someone reported that Bail was concussed on another thread, anyone know if that's correct? not good news if true.

I don't think this is such a bad idea. It's true what you are saying about his hunger and tackling, and putting him in the forward line minimises the damage he can cause with iffy disposal. However he's pretty slow so won't be able to have the same effect as Kent does.

Probably Toumpas and Grimes in for me.

I thought Pederson had a good year last year, thought he would be automatic for the starting 22 this year. Can someone comment on whether he's lost form, been injured or where he's at? Would love to see him produce more of his best from last year.

Edited by nrc73

I thought [Pedersen] had a good year last year, thought he would be automatic for the starting 22 this year. Can someone comment on whether he's lost form, been injured or where he's at? Would love to see him produce more of his best from last year.

I think he just hasn't been able to fit into the structure. Frost and apparently Dawes are rated above him and he has definitely been superseeded by Hogan, if he were to play as a pure forward.

Sometimes though, I'd rather have Pedo over Dawes. At least he consistently marks the ball. Saying that, Dawes was pretty good on Friday night so Pedo might have to wait a little longer.