• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Lay off Jack Watts...

hardtack

Won't happen.

Watts is class.

and Grimes a captain ...so who gives a..

As its said...if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Watts' game must surely lean to the problematic.

No one cares less now he was a 1 pick. Only that hes a Melbourne player who cant realise his talents and abilities on a week in week out basis.

If hes not careful events will overtake him anyway and other upcoming players will DEMAND picking .I dont really care. Just want best 22 out there every week putting in 100% .If thats him fine..if it isnt he goes down.

• Like 1

Sorry grazman......./........He did not duck his head.....The ball was very slippery........If you care to look a few minutes later Cross did exactly the same thing

Yet not one mention by commentators, posters on here, Why?

Because we watch Watts like a hawk and can't wait to dump on him so we can feel better about ourselves and state to all and sundry that we were right......This is getting to be an obsession by some.

no one has a go at Crossy because he has already shown his courage & commitment, so it isn't in doubt his commitment to the team & club. he'll risk all for the jumper

we want Watts to start to stand up; as he has shown the opposite over the last 2 or so years. we don't want him to wilt away, so we try to put social pressure on him to put enough uncomfortable pressuer on him thast will equal the pressure of fear he feels that causes him to Not Go In.

pressure equality = then becomes a simple decision then to either go, or not go.

obsession yes - barracking for the Demons for over 50 years, you have to be obsessed.

and Grimes a captain ...so who gives a..

As its said...if you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem.

Watts' game must surely lean to the problematic.

No one cares less now he was a 1 pick. Only that hes a Melbourne player who cant realise his talents and abilities on a week in week out basis.

If hes not careful events will overtake him anyway and other upcoming players will DEMAND picking .I dont really care. Just want best 22 out there every week putting in 100% .If thats him fine..if it isnt he goes down.

He won't get dropped BB.

He played well enough last night - did his job.

I agree... well sort of. The comment was from Wayne Carey who went into bat for him 24 hrs previously. I've watched the incident about 6 times now (courtesy of the replay) and the issue is that Jack drops his head just as the ball hits his hands rather than watching it until the mark is completed. Yes the ball was exceptionally slippery*, and in this instance it wasn't because he was expecting any contact, but its clearly a fault in his game. He drops far too many marks and I'm not sure whether this is a 'technical' thing that can be corrected or a lack of confidence or simply a fear of physical contact. Whether people like it or not he'll be continually criticised for it until he can fix the problem.

* I'm not suggesting he should have marked it, but even on a dry day this makes marking the ball harder than it should be.

The head drop is a reflex action that has permeated his game from day dot under certain circumstances. It's because he's always worried about perceived contact. It's an involuntary movement.

We've had a deplorable team for years. Watts has never had any effect on whether we've been good or crud.

He's an inconsequential player. I once hoped he'd be icing on a good team, but he would NEVER perform in the heat of a final.

• Like 1

The head drop is a reflex action that has permeated his game from day dot under certain circumstances. It's because he's always worried about perceived contact. It's an involuntary movement.

We've had a deplorable team for years. Watts has never had any effect on whether we've been good or crud.

He's an inconsequential player. I once hoped he'd be icing on a good team, but he would NEVER perform in the heat of a final.

That's a pretty accurate assessment, I'd say. My only disagreement is that I think he'd put his body on the line if he thought the stakes were high enough. That's why the pressure is so high in a final—the stakes are massive so everyone goes as hard as they can.

That's a pretty accurate assessment, I'd say. My only disagreement is that I think he'd put his body on the line if he thought the stakes were high enough. That's why the pressure is so high in a final—the stakes are massive so everyone goes as hard as they can.

Yeah, but would he go again and again, as is required in finals?

I can't believe we win a game by 31 points and there are people still sitting here bagging Watts. Joke

Team stability has been a big focus this year. We're not making changes just for the sake of it, and we're not dropping players without there being stand outs at Casey to replace them.

I think this is being forgotten in this thread.

6 pages on one of our players.....what a waste of space......I hope to god he never reads this forum. I would not be surprised if one day he just chose to walk away from the game. I have completely put from my mind that he was a No 1 pick. I look at him as a player who at the moment is definitely in our best 22.....I have never questioned his desire to play for the MFC though reading some of the comments here....you would wonder why. He plays some amazing games ...some crap games (like most of our players) & I am actually quite happy how he is developing under Roos. It is laughable that some posters here criticise Roos for playing him....we are not blessed with a team of superstars that we can just blithely say....get rid of Jack Watts....we won last night (didn't we?) lets just celebrate that and for gods sake stop "eating one of our own"

• Like 2

He won't get dropped BB.

He played well enough last night - did his job.

He didnt play well enough. Drop him and maybe we will find out we actually dont need him and if Jackie boy understands that might wake him up or may be he will just go away>

I no longer care whether JW is part odf the team or not .The team is improving week be week doesnt need passengers like Jack so who really cares ?If he doesnt produce dont play him its simple.

• Like 1

umh, thats the fear.... but also, its the fear I had of Dunny just 18 months ago. Dunny has had a head transplant. he's a newman.

I was his harshest critic on here & elsewhere... he was a plonk. But to my real appreciation of Him, he has had a massive change of heart, & of fortunes.

he has turned himself right about & is now one of our best in that past 18 months. started to happen just before Roosy arrived at the Dees. dare I say it, under the Neeld regime.

so, never say never, but 27 yrs of age may be too long to wait? just another 3 years & he'll be about right, young jack

• Like 1

I hope to god he never reads this forum. I would not be surprised if one day he just chose to walk away from the game.

If he was to do that, then many of the criticisms would be justified.

Jack Watts is a Victim of circumstances . Including a Club that was so desperate to get him that they fed him to the wolves in his First game ie Collingwood

So back then many of us cut him slack at the beginning of his career . However in Football terms he is no longer a Newbie.

He needs to Step up as has been mentioned by many here or circumstances them self, may lead to his demise and him being passed over.

I have seen glimpses of what Watts and how good he could possibly be.

I think that's why many here vent on him because of their Frustration with his progression as a player.

I hope Watts can turn it around .

"In Roos I have Faith" and he is the coach, and we know he wont accept carrying players, so if he keeps playing Watts there must be something Roos sees that many here cant .

If Roo believed he needed to go back to Casey I'm sure that's where Watts would go

But Regardless of all of the above, the one thing I don't believe in is BOOING Watts, which I have seen at the game, to me its disappointing and I'm sure not only has a negative affect on Watts but also other MFC players who may be near him.

Vent your Frustration here, yes. But Public Booing on match day ?? Give it a break.

• Like 2

I can't believe we win a game by 31 points and there are people still sitting here bagging Watts. Joke

He dropped that high ball but it was wat so I dont think he should be crucified for it

Aside from that I saw him at the bottom of more packs than I have ever seen him

Didnt have a great game but he at least had a dip after a poor first quarter

• Like 2

He didnt play well enough. Drop him and maybe we will find out we actually dont need him and if Jackie boy understands that might wake him up or may be he will just go away>

I no longer care whether JW is part odf the team or not .The team is improving week be week doesnt need passengers like Jack so who really cares ?If he doesnt produce dont play him its simple.

I thought he was an excellent contributor.

That's a pretty accurate assessment, I'd say. My only disagreement is that I think he'd put his body on the line if he thought the stakes were high enough. That's why the pressure is so high in a finalthe stakes are massive so everyone goes as hard as they can.

I have yet to see it in a potential crunching one on one 50/50 disputed ball critical "must lay effective tackle" chook. And i have no reason to think he will suddenly miraculously start doing so now. Running past the opponent/contest and sticking one hand out flicking that opponent around the neck (who has gone in hard and gotten the disputed ball you could have also have gone for) when you could have gone in hard with shoulder/body down low (either for the ball or the tackle if you aren't quite at the contest) is a lame excuse for committment.

He does it time and time again and quite often gives away a free kick with his soft coat hanger "attempts" at a tackle. He did so in front of the tigers goal last nite at the city end which cost us a free about 20 metres out. Not sure if they goaled.

And the stakes should be high enough every week surely!?? I remember the teeth nashing and hand wringing that went on after the Flash squibbed just 1 contest at Shityhed a few years ago in a critical moment against the Saints. IMO that was a game turner in a match we could have won early in the season against a pretty poor opponent. We were well in the match up until then. I believe Flash was played the week after but the ridicule Flash copped just for 1 squib was enormous. I don't think he was ever the same player after that incident.

Watts is doing this on a regular basis yet people are saying "ease off on him/cut him some slack" etc. If he had performed anywhere near the level of Flash to this point i would probably be more forgiving. But he hasn't...and still isn't. He's just a very ordinary player so far who is massively down on confidence/courage and even his occasional silky skills are letting him down a little more so than usual when he is running in the clear.

Given his lack of output and impact on game day i seriously don't think he would be missed at all if he was demoted so i'm not sure why doing so is such a "BIG" issue for some to digest. The Hawthorn mantra is if you lose a soldier you replace him with another. This soldier's been AWOL for quite a while yet his body is still running around out there. No way the Hawks would keep playing him in the seniors. He would have to go back and learn "the Hawthorn way" and earn his spot back in the team. No we aren't Hawthorn but we sure aint going to get anywhere near the likes of them without toughening up right across all lines and committing to a number of team "non negotiables".

• Like 4

I have yet to see it in a potential crunching one on one 50/50 disputed ball critical "must lay effective tackle" chook. And i have no reason to think he will suddenly miraculously start doing so now. Running past the opponent/contest and sticking one hand out flicking that opponent around the neck (who has gone in hard and gotten the disputed ball you could have also have gone for) when you could have gone in hard with shoulder/body down low (either for the ball or the tackle if you aren't quite at the contest) is a lame excuse for committment.

He does it time and time again and quite often gives away a free kick with his soft coat hanger "attempts" at a tackle. He did so in front of the tigers goal last nite at the city end which cost us a free about 20 metres out. Not sure if they goaled.

And the stakes should be high enough every week surely!?? I remember the teeth nashing and hand wringing that went on after the Flash squibbed just 1 contest at Shityhed a few years ago in a critical moment against the Saints. IMO that was a game turner in a match we could have won early in the season against a pretty poor opponent. We were well in the match up until then. I believe Flash was played the week after but the ridicule Flash copped just for 1 squib was enormous. I don't think he was ever the same player after that incident.

Watts is doing this on a regular basis yet people are saying "ease off on him/cut him some slack" etc. If he had performed anywhere near the level of Flash to this point i would probably be more forgiving. But he hasn't...and still isn't. He's just a very ordinary player so far who is massively down on confidence/courage and even his occasional silky skills are letting him down a little more so than usual when he is running in the clear.

Given his lack of output and impact on game day i seriously don't think he would be missed at all if he was demoted so i'm not sure why doing so is such a "BIG" issue for some to digest. The Hawthorn mantra is if you lose a soldier you replace him with another. This soldier's been AWOL for quite a while yet his body is still running around out there. No way the Hawks would keep playing him in the seniors. He would have to go back and learn "the Hawthorn way" and earn his spot back in the team. No we aren't Hawthorn but we sure aint going to get anywhere near the likes of them without toughening up right across all lines and committing to a number of team "non negotiables".

Can't argue with any of that. I'm only saying that finals make everyone desperate. Everyone.

I struggle to watch Watts without expecting another insipid tackle, dropped mark or failure to commit to a contest. Suspect this will be his last year at the Dees if he does not turn things round - another #epicfail from our old recruiters. Sylvia was another wasted talent, but at least he would attack the ball. Grimes will also exit via his poor ball skills. Trenners another one. Good news is we have so much superb new talent with Hogan at the top of the crop.

• Like 1

I struggle to watch Watts without expecting another insipid tackle, dropped mark or failure to commit to a contest. Suspect this will be his last year at the Dees if he does not turn things round - another #epicfail from our old recruiters. Sylvia was another wasted talent, but at least he would attack the ball. Grimes will also exit via his poor ball skills. Trenners another one. Good news is we have so much superb new talent with Hogan at the top of the crop.

6 pages on one of our players.....what a waste of space......I hope to god he never reads this forum. I would not be surprised if one day he just chose to walk away from the game. I have completely put from my mind that he was a No 1 pick. I look at him as a player who at the moment is definitely in our best 22.....I have never questioned his desire to play for the MFC though reading some of the comments here....you would wonder why. He plays some amazing games ...some crap games (like most of our players) & I am actually quite happy how he is developing under Roos. It is laughable that some posters here criticise Roos for playing him....we are not blessed with a team of superstars that we can just blithely say....get rid of Jack Watts....we won last night (didn't we?) lets just celebrate that and for gods sake stop "eating one of our own"

Jack Watts is a Victim of circumstances . Including a Club that was so desperate to get him that they fed him to the wolves in his First game ie Collingwood

So back then many of us cut him slack at the beginning of his career . However in Football terms he is no longer a Newbie.

He needs to Step up as has been mentioned by many here or circumstances them self, may lead to his demise and him being passed over.

I have seen glimpses of what Watts and how good he could possibly be.

I think that's why many here vent on him because of their Frustration with his progression as a player.

I hope Watts can turn it around .

"In Roos I have Faith" and he is the coach, and we know he wont accept carrying players, so if he keeps playing Watts there must be something Roos sees that many here cant .

If Roo believed he needed to go back to Casey I'm sure that's where Watts would go

But Regardless of all of the above, the one thing I don't believe in is BOOING Watts, which I have seen at the game, to me its disappointing and I'm sure not only has a negative affect on Watts but also other MFC players who may be near him.

Vent your Frustration here, yes. But Public Booing on match day ?? Give it a break.

reading your post was interesting DS. the way you wrote it made me look at the Roos angle differently. watts is timid, plenty have been (Alan Johnson for one, he overcame it thru desperation to succeed... he was courageous, but timid of his small size). Roos wants to keep him in the seniors, why????

could it be that jack would seek solace in the 2nds & sit back, not wanting to get back into the seniors... many do this. hide.

he wouldn't be the first?

I don't believe in booing an individual for struggling; boo a team, 'OK' for weak effort, yes..... but don't pick on an individual for being down. that is weak poor form.

it has to be creative intention. so it (criticism) should be directed to be constructive, even if a little painful... a spur on. a jab,,, not a machine gun