Are we seeing Geelongs culture crumbling?

dazzledavey36

Obviously injuries will be their only problem. Put Mitchell and Gibson back into that side and they won't lose.

No, it's the ageing list. The injuries will be more prevalent with this list, they will need all the luck running their way this year to take the prize.

I appreciate all of that (I was being slightly sarcastic) but my point is that teams with a winning culture just so happen to be really good at football as well.

those of us with really really long memories at least have the joy of 1954-64 to reminisce in. Now THAT was a winning culture.
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

I don't know about their culture crumbling, but their finances appear to be inexplicably crumbling.

FMD how can such a wealthy club that regularly gets a home gate taking of $500k be struggling? If it's so mismanaged, then time for the AFL to step in and take over.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-plea-to-afl-for-financial-help-20150708-gi81c4.html

I don't know about their culture crumbling, but their finances appear to be inexplicably crumbling.

FMD how can such a wealthy club that regularly gets a home gate taking of $500k be struggling? If it's so mismanaged, then time for the AFL to step in and take over.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/cats-plea-to-afl-for-financial-help-20150708-gi81c4.html

This is all about trying to get around the so called wealth tax. My understanding is this is an equalisation measure based on what clubs spend in their football departments.

The simple way to avoid this tax is don't spend over the footy department spend cap...Problem solved.

edit: by the way, I don't think this tax should be capped to help out Collingwood and Hawthorn. Make them pay if they want to spend...

Edited by rjay
  • Like 1

It stinks that successive State Governments have wilfully chipped in loads of taxpayers money to upgrade their hole of a ground, only for them to charge an arm and a leg,

close to $60 I think it was a fortnight ago for our seats, to sit in the forward pocket or behind the goals. How can they possibly be crying poor?

They need to decide whether they want to be a Geelong team or a Melbourne team. You can't have half your home games in Geelong and expect Melbourne based fans to attend, and vice versa. I'm not surprised that people are dropping back to lower levels of memberships when it is likely that they will only attend 5-6 games a year.

• Like 1

I spelled it all out months ago, but no one cared to listen.

Brian Cook is living off past glories.

Its a ruse to get out of paying equalisation fund money. Them Hawthorn & Collingwood are a disgrace on this subject!

They need to decide whether they want to be a Geelong team or a Melbourne team. You can't have half your home games in Geelong and expect Melbourne based fans to attend, and vice versa. I'm not surprised that people are dropping back to lower levels of memberships when it is likely that they will only attend 5-6 games a year.

I suspect people have cut back their memberships because they realise Geelong's recent glory period is over. It's amazing how spoiled supporters become and how quickly they can lose interest after a sustained period of success.

At least, that's what I'm told.

• Like 3

I suspect people have cut back their memberships because they realise Geelong's recent glory period is over. It's amazing how spoiled supporters become and how quickly they can lose interest after a sustained period of success.

I am truly looking forward to the problem.

• Like 3

They lost nearly 30% of their membership when Ablett left because supporters thought they were on the way down. They went on to win the flag that season and they alll came back. If Geelong decline is real this time, there might be a big colapse of members.

Edited by america de cali

Haven't read the whole thread so may have already been discussed - but just curious what happened to that Nakia kid. They went early on him right? I recall him debuting at the start of the year but haven't seen him play yet. Any good?

Edited by Skuit

Haven't read the whole thread so may have already been discussed - but just curious what happened to that Nakia kid. They went early on him right? I recall him debuting at the start of the year but haven't seen him play yet. Any good?

Developing in the 2s..

They lost nearly 30% of their membership when Ablett left because supporters thought they were on the way down. They went on to win the flag that season and they alll came back. If Geelong decline is real this time, there might be a big colapse of members.

Absolute rubbish.

You're just making [censored] up.

Reported in the newspaper today that many of their members reverted from 11 day memberships to 3 day memberships, and with a downturn in pokies revenue as well, has had a massive impact. Their membership numbers aren't down, but their revenue is.

Reported in the newspaper today that many of their members reverted from 11 day memberships to 3 day memberships, and with a downturn in pokies revenue as well, has had a massive impact. Their membership numbers aren't down, but their revenue is.

probably also related to harder economic times down at geelong, coupled with the slide down the ladder

can understand locals cutting back a little on membership options. maybe similar with pokies

- Cost blowouts on the stadium construction including light towers

- lower than expected govt contributions for stadium upgrades

- massively over-optomistic forecasting error for the revenue coming from their Point Cook gaming venue

- hilariously incompetent sponsorship deals including clauses allowing sponsors the option to renew deals at the same already low rate for the same duration

- inability to properly effectively upsell memberships or sell functions due to staff not fit to run a bath (especially corporate) but they have been able to hide until now as the tickets have sold themselves in successful times. Unfortunately their recruiting choices to turn things around have been very poor, and now some of the more capable rats are deserting the sinking ship

• Like 3