MATCH REVIEW: Call it catharthis

watchtheeyes

He also said, "Life wasn't meant to be easy."

Must have been a Melbourne supporter.

Malcolm was a number one ticket holder at Carlton so we can't claim him. Ironically enough the man he deposed, Billy Snedden, was a number one ticket holder, president and life member of the MFC.

Add for the match, I kept thinking all nite long that surely we couldn't lose this one. I thought that when Viney had the ball in the back 50 that Viney would steady and we would kill the game.

The short term signs aren't great but the club now needs men of strength to come through and one of those men cannot be Paul Roos. It's time for the Jones', Cross' and Dawes' to say that this isn't how we do things anymore.

OK, I've now seen the first quarter and so far it's good viewing. The kicking to the forwards has improved somewhat. It was made to look worse than it was by the Bombers flooding back and taking away the space. There were a few times we probably should have had a free kick paid in front of goal, so realistically we should have been a couple of goals further up by quarter time.

Of note so far:

Frost is a monster. His physical pressure is great. All he needs is a little polish, but we definitely have a gem on our hands.

I said many times last year that Watts would look better if his teammates would look to hit him on the long leads. This has happened a couple of times already this game, largely off the boots of the new recruits. He also appears to have improved his physical work in marking contests which is nice to see.

Lamumba is leading on field. He may not be able to turn a match off his own boot like Clark, but he's providing some pretty damn good value.

At this point we're still showing the tendency to panic under man on man pressure and handpass to poor options. We're also stalling between the centre and half forward, allowing the defence time to flood back on us and spoiling the chance for a 1-1 mark to our forwards. This is all strongly reminiscent of the bad Melbourne. However, there are good signs. Our team defence is much stronger, the field kicking in general is much improved and you can clearly see Goodwin's influence in our attacking play with the quick switch and run down the wing or the attack down the corridor, both things that Roos and Neeld before him didn't go for.

So far we look the better side with the Bombers clinging on to us and keeping in touch. I wonder how it all goes wrong from here.

• Like 1

Dangerfield would have torn that game up last night, hard contested player with explosive leg speed. This has very little to do with anything but who cares.

bail is quick did you see him chase down that Brisbane player, can't remember his name

I thought we looked very slow all night. We seemed to kick to congestion and contests - especially up forward which was frustrating. Natural forwards create space. Garlett was good at this, Hogan is learning and Watts is ok. Perhaps JKH will be good - eventually.

pace is an issue, isn't bail supposedly one of our better runners yet could not get near dalgleish
  • Like 1

It really seems like a pattern over the last few (actually more than a few) years, that we can't convert what we train onto game day against opposition players, not witches hats.

Yes it must be frustrating for some of our players, training and being paid as full time professionals with elite facilities, sports medicine at call, a proven AFL coach, experienced assistant coaches for advice, video analysis of your every move but they don't get better, they make the same skill errors season after season! I don't get it.

But I do wonder why we train so much with little or no pressure applied. This lack of composure when pressure is applied just kills us. Why don't we have regular sessions of game simulation in a confined space where you have little time and space and have to take the first option. This doesn't have to involve heavy tackling that could cause injury although it should involve body contact so players get used to this. I do wonder about some of our guys at times and their lack of appetite for the physical stuff.

• Like 5

Malcolm was a number one ticket holder at Carlton so we can't claim him. Ironically enough the man he deposed, Billy Snedden, was a number one ticket holder, president and life member of the MFC.

Add for the match, I kept thinking all nite long that surely we couldn't lose this one. I thought that when Viney had the ball in the back 50 that Viney would steady and we would kill the game.

The short term signs aren't great but the club now needs men of strength to come through and one of those men cannot be Paul Roos. It's time for the Jones', Cross' and Dawes' to say that this isn't how we do things anymore.

Unusualy for a Melbourne supporter, Billy Snedden died In a state of ecstasy and satisfaction. Edited by america de cali
  • Like 3

Have now seen Q2. Shocking effort by the umpires. 2 goals given to the bombers by poor calls. By my count we'd now be 24 points better off if the umps called the game properly.

vandenBerg is gold. He's got a bit of pace, bulk and he's a marking threat. Forget the midfield, just let him play the HF role for the rest of his career.

Frost isn't a ruck. I know it makes us more mobile, but we need two legitimate rucks out there. Too often when Frost does the job it results in an easy clearance to the opposition.

Other points of note would be Viney's fight to get the ball away when he's tackled and Salem's awesome tackle on Chapman. Garlett nearly had two goals from steals. Great effort.

• Like 3

I only saw the half so I can't comment too much but I thought Garlett, Lumumba, Dawes and Frost looked good the rest were pretty ordinary.

Interesting that Tyson was in the best he looked pretty poor from what I saw.

Toumpas one step forward 15 steps back, he was shocking.

Bail and M.Jones have got me thinking what sexual favours are they giving Roos. How on earth are they getting a game ahead of JKH and Kent?

I'm not overly concerned because I think if this game doesn't wake them up nothing will. I think they should be fired up with a point to prove against the Suns.

What has got me concerned is their appalling skill level, it's at VFL standard. TDI keeps telling us how much our skills have improved but I tell you TDI they haven't if anything they are worse, we won't win too many games with our skill level.

RND 1 V SUNS

B: JETTA, DUNN, GRIMES

HB: LUMUMBA, T.MCDONALD, SALEM

C: CROSS, N.JONES, NEWTON

HF: KENT, HOGAN, KENNEDY-HARRIS

F: WATTS, FROST, GARLETT

FOLL: JAMAR, TYSON, VINEY

IC: VINCE, VANDENBERG, BRAYSHAW

SUB: HOWE

I'd be happier with this side, but I'd retain Toump as I don't think Vince is ready to go.

Have now seen Q2. Shocking effort by the umpires. 2 goals given to the bombers by poor calls. By my count we'd now be 24 points better off if the umps called the game properly.

vandenBerg is gold. He's got a bit of pace, bulk and he's a marking threat. Forget the midfield, just let him play the HF role for the rest of his career.

Frost isn't a ruck. I know it makes us more mobile, but we need two legitimate rucks out there. Too often when Frost does the job it results in an easy clearance to the opposition.

Other points of note would be Viney's fight to get the ball away when he's tackled and Salem's awesome tackle on Chapman. Garlett nearly had two goals from steals. Great effort.

I love that you're watching each quarter and doing this ralphius, gives a whole new perspective! I'm now remembering he first two q's quite positively too (less those two shocking ump calls which I mentioned in an earlier post, bloody momentum killers!)

it could be worse. The dogs are currently7 goals up against the pies midway through the 2nd quarter. If the pies lose look for the media to again target Bucks. He is under pressure this year even though the people are at the club are saying he is not. The pies fans wont take a loss to the dogs.

By this stage half of Demonland had already bled out, RM.

Put all knives away for the third quarter though mate. I'm not normally a slasher but was just about a convert after 10 minutes or so.

I really have no idea what to expect for the upcoming season after the last 3 nab games. It had shook my confidence.

Anywhere from 2 wins to 11 is possible.

Surely we have to stop being pathetic soon????!

Only practice matches. Good to get a few non negotiables and other issues sorted. Viney and Hogan will be very good. Still only young but no doubt bout their endeavour . Soft underbelly and leadership strength from senior players more concern for me.

• Like 1

OK, so I've now watched the whole thing. I agree the second half was not great, but I'm probably not as upset as many. I think having the buffer of already reading a lot about the match helped cushion the blow.

First thing I'll note is that by my count the umpires directly influenced the score through questionable calls to the tune of roughly 36 points in Essendon's favour. I calculate this simply by noting the goals the bombers kicked as a direct result of a dubious free and adding the frees not paid to us withing 40m of goal in the area directly in front. I have not included frees paid to the Bombers where they have subsequently missed the shot or those not paid to us where the angle could reasonably be expected to influence the shot such as the HTB to Garlett in the forward pocket during Q1 (not paid).

Further to this I'll note a great mark to Garlett in the last which was not paid forcing him to play on and miss his target and the pack mark to Gawn which not only was not paid but was then called HTB against and 2 disposals later was in the bombers 50 for the winning goal. Also only the Demons were called to play on for short passes all night. I have more, but really we don't need to pick apart ever bad call. Overall a shocking night for the umpires.

Regarding Viney's turnover. I agree with Roos that he should have stayed out and let a teammate mark it. Better would have been if he'd looped behind for the handball and run off up the wing with it. Watching him the whole match, whenever he took a mark around that HB-Wing range, his first look was always inside. He was even standing with his back to the boundary for most of them. We need to get this out of his game and teach him to look forwards first then sideways as the second option. It's not really a surprise that they were ready for him to try to switch given how he played the rest of the match.

I've said it a couple of times, but vandenBerg is a great pickup. This is the first time I've seen him play in a real match environment (I don't count last week) and I couldn't be more impressed. He's still got work to do, but he made his presence known throughout the match, not just with things that score stats, but bullocking through a pack to force an opponent to put the ball out rather than try to take possession. I think I' a convert.

Frost, Garlett and Lamumba. All gems. All showed their worth. I'd prefer to see Frost in the backline, although I do get why they're playing him forward. They are all adding so much to the side. It was great to see.

I was amazed at the case of team fumbles we suddenly got after that last goal. Hogan could have put us back in front had he taken a waste high bouncing ball. When it was cleared we had players missing and dropping the ball left right and centre. It was a return to the painful slapstick of a few years ago.

Overall, I think there are positives to be taken from this game, even though we fell in a heap. The first half in particular we were all over them. You can clearly see that we are a better side than we were last year. The problem is still that we don't translate that to scores. We still have the problem of getting the ball to HF and then not knowing what comes next. I was watching Melbourne City vs Sydney in the A-League earlier today and had the same thought. They got the ball to the right spot but then had no plan to score with it. It's as though all of our planning amounts to "get the ball to HF then let our marking targets figure out the rest." The commentators were praising us for continually hitting the "hot spot" in front of goal, but modern defenders love a side that bombs it in there. They get to bring numbers to bear and run the spilled mark out again. What we need if to transition through HF quickly and get the ball in there to a 1-1 or better before the defence has a chance to set itself. If we can get past that little hump I think our scoring potency will increase drastically.

Edited by RalphiusMaximus
  • Like 4

Geez I am sick of seeing this http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2015-03-21/loss-a-wakeup-call-jones

Whats the diff between this and the other loses over the last 8 years?

Less talk boys and more ACTION.

Roos and Jonesy have now talked about the big gap between our good footy and our worst. Fair enough but sometimes that is just a reflection of your level. It is in the middle. Good players reduce that gap that is what makes them good. They consistently perform and even if they are being beaten they find a way to limit the damage or sneak a win. If you are not quite up to it you get highly variable efforts, one day you are a winner, the next you are getting thrashed big time. And that seems to be us yet again. .

Yes it must be frustrating for some of our players, training and being paid as full time professionals with elite facilities, sports medicine at call, a proven AFL coach, experienced assistant coaches for advice, video analysis of your every move but they don't get better, they make the same skill errors season after season! I don't get it.

But I do wonder why we train so much with little or no pressure applied. This lack of composure when pressure is applied just kills us. Why don't we have regular sessions of game simulation in a confined space where you have little time and space and have to take the first option. This doesn't have to involve heavy tackling that could cause injury although it should involve body contact so players get used to this. I do wonder about some of our guys at times and their lack of appetite for the physical stuff.

Referring to my question about training under pressure, I heard Rowan Conelly talking on SEN this morning and he talked about his time embedded with the Pies at their camp this year and said that they had people monitoring training and when they were doing game simulation they would measure the % effective disposals of mids to forwards in a drill and if it got over a certain level, the coaches would up the number of defenders in the drill to ensure the simulation reduced the time and space for players to work in. So as to more reflect game day conditions. Has anyone noticed this at our training? I suppose TDI would be best placed to comment on this as to if he has noticed any high pressure physical training drills this year. The few times I have attended I have seen us playing against witches hats or a few players in yellow vests with padding protection.