Daly Cherry-Evans

Whispering_Jack

Club loyalty among players (and I accept it's a two way thing) has been severely tested with the introduction of free agency. We've already seen a few Demons change clubs through free agency in recent years and the James Frawley scenario from last year certainly left a bitter taste seeing him running around in the club colours but feeling fairly certain that he would jump ship as soon as the final siren sounded at the end of August. I don't think I was alone when all that mattered with respect to the player by that time was to say "good riddance" and hope the club gets adequately compensated.

Whether people think it's good or bad for the sport, as far as I'm concerned, it's an unwelcome development when you go to a game and wonder whether a player's heart and his head are really with the club.

In addition, the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that its inflationary and will increase pressure on the less well heeled clubs at a time when the combined debt of AFL clubs is said to be soaring. There have been two offers reported this week for players coming out of contract at the end of the year:

* $750k per annum from the Western Bulldogs for Carlton's Lachie Henderson and

* $750k per annum from the Fremantle Dockers for Richmond's Alex Rance.

I wonder what the supporters of these players' current clubs are going to be thinking if they strike a run of poor form?

And how much worse can it get?

Well ... we could become like the National Rugby League where players can announce they're switching clubs a year in advance and while still under contract to play out the season.

Daly Cherry-Evans is a star player for in the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. A Queensland State of Origin and Australia national representative halfback/five-eighth, he has played over 100 games with the club including the 2011 NRL Premiership in his debut season.

Although committed to the Sea Eagles for this year, he recently revealed he had agreed to join the Gold Coast Titans in 2016 on a 4-year contract.

I really think if that trend hit the AFL, I would have to re-examine my interest for the game. There comes a time when enough is enough.

• Like 6

Club loyalty among players (and I accept it's a two way thing) has been severely tested with the introduction of free agency. We've already seen a few Demons change clubs through free agency in recent years and the James Frawley scenario from last year certainly left a bitter taste seeing him running around in the club colours but feeling fairly certain that he would jump ship as soon as the final siren sounded at the end of August. I don't think I was alone when all that mattered with respect to the player by that time was to say "good riddance" and hope the club gets adequately compensated.

Whether people think it's good or bad for the sport, as far as I'm concerned, it's an unwelcome development when you go to a game and wonder whether a player's heart and his head are really with the club.

In addition, the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that its inflationary and will increase pressure on the less well heeled clubs at a time when the combined debt of AFL clubs is said to be soaring. There have been two offers reported this week for players coming out of contract at the end of the year:

I wonder what the supporters of these players' current clubs are going to be thinking if they strike a run of poor form?

Well ... we could become like the National Rugby League where players can announce they're switching clubs a year in advance and while still under contract to play out the season.

Daly Cherry-Evans is a star player for in the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles. A Queensland State of Origin and Australia national representative halfback/five-eighth, he has played over 100 games with the club including the 2011 NRL Premiership in his debut season.

Although committed to the Sea Eagles for this year, he recently revealed he had agreed to join the Gold Coast Titans in 2016 on a 4-year contract.

I really think if that trend hit the AFL, I would have to re-examine my interest for the game. There comes a time when enough is enough.

The difference with Cherry-Evans (and he's hardly the first big star to do this, it probably applies to all League players with aspirations) is that he has state of origin and national representation to play for. He won't be discovering a 'mystery illness' or anything else to keep him on the sidelines or to explain a decline in 'form'.

The early notice of signings doesn't seem to have been particularly welcome in the NRL but they've been able to live with it. The Manly supporters I know have just grumbled a bit at the fact Cherry-Evans won't be around after this year, but they expect him to do his job to the best of his not inconsiderable abilities for the rest of the season.

But for the same reasons you point towards.I can't see this sort of compromise position translating to AFL.

The NRL system is ridiculous. As frustrating as the waiting game of "will he?" or "won't he?" is, playing for one team while already signed with another is infinitely worse.

One crucial part of free agency is that the league has to do its best to ensure clubs don't speak to player agents prior to the free agency period beginning. If they are found to do so there must be penalties / reprimands.

I'm an NBA fan so I'm used to how free agency works across the market. The NBA at least does a good job of protecting draft picks so the likes of Scully aren't able to jump ship for 3-4 years, and after that their free agency is restricted and the drafting club can make higher / longer contract offers than other clubs. This is really important because small-market teams struggle to draw marque free agents and the draft is often their only option.

The other thing that commonly happens is that if a club gets any indication that their star player might not be committed long-term, they will make a trade ahead of time to prevent them leaving for nothing. That doesn't fully apply in the AFL due to the ambiguous compensation system but for someone like Dangerfield, the Crows would have got a better return trading him this past summer than if he leaves and they receive whatever compensation pick(s) it ends up being. That is of course based on the assumption that he's signing with the Dees in 2016.

Edited by G-max

That would be the final nail for me. Player movement and Free agency are ruining the equality of the game.

If player movement continues I will be long gone, MFC is the only thing keeping me interested in the AFL.

When it comes to the modern day AFL, there is no loyalty, there is no equality, there is no direction, and there is a lot of corruption.

• Like 1

When it comes to NRL and moving clubs Willie Mason quickly comes to mind: Canterbury Bulldogs, Sydney Roosters, North Queensland Cowboys, Newcastle Knights & Manly Warringah Sea Eagles.

That equates to a lot of ex teammates!

I really think the AFL should ban clubs from revealing signings during the football season. This year we know Garland is out of contract at seasons end but even if Melbourne do sign him on during the year we shouldn't be allowed to reveal it until the season finishes. It will kill off all the media speculation and the will he or wont he. I hated knowing Frawley had put off contract talks and watching him run around all year looking disinterested.

These business people who run sport these days do not know how much it hurts supporters when we can no longer feel players are as rusted on as we are. The odd defection of the past hurt, but was bearable because it was rare. But the future looks far worse. Footy will become purely entertainment like going to the movies - you won't care much.

While soccer fans in Europe seem to have maintained their passion despite this, I'm not so sure Aussie rules fans will. Soccer is different in many ways from AFL and may attract different responses. It is a risk for our game.

I really think the AFL should ban clubs from revealing signings during the football season. This year we know Garland is out of contract at seasons end but even if Melbourne do sign him on during the year we shouldn't be allowed to reveal it until the season finishes. It will kill off all the media speculation and the will he or wont he. I hated knowing Frawley had put off contract talks and watching him run around all year looking disinterested.

Not only should they be banned from revealing it, they should be banned from re-signing any player in the last 6 months of their contract.

You get to sign up your player until March and then that's it - the footy starts and contracts can be dealt with later.

Again, the US Sports do this aspect far better. Extensions are allowed but the above occurs and teams must then allow their players contract to expire before signing them up again.

Penalties apply for breaching these rules.

• Like 4

The AFL is a step in front of the NRL in relation to most things, not the other way around e.g. state of origin, indigenous all stars, membership drives including marketing strategies, Independant commission etc.

If anything, they will realise the folly of their ridiculous system and adopt that of the AFL. I wouldn't count on it though.

• Like 1

Interesting idea in theory Wrecker45. I like some of the reasoning behind it. Not sure in reality it would work, a player's managers would simply reveal on the quiet that their client has re-signed (or not). IMO the pressure by the media on the said player's club to answer yes or no would be even greater than the old 'wait till season's end' line. RPFC's suggestions would make it more workable.

Interesting idea in theory Wrecker45. I like some of the reasoning behind it. Not sure in reality it would work, a player's managers would simply reveal on the quiet that their client has re-signed (or not). IMO the pressure by the media on the said player's club to answer yes or no would be even greater than the old 'wait till season's end' line. RPFC's suggestions would make it more workable.

It's actually quite simple - Players contracts should expire in October. No new contracts can be signed before then and the AFL can make it be known that they will not recognise any contract executed outside of this period. The AFL could also implement severe penalties for any clubs engineering commitment (of player/club) through letters of intent, etc.

Although speculation on players intent may still be rampant (suits the media), players and clubs would no longer be mercenary. All a player needs to do is regurgitate a standard line of "I am committed to [said club] and really enjoy my time here, unfortunately like everyone else I can't comment on the future until the contract periods opens, which I hope will be fruitful to both me and [said club].

This would still work with Wrecker45 suggestion regarding contract renewals/extensions (providing peace of mind for players, who are worried about the future).

Alternatively, you could allow the first 2 weeks of October to be for contract renewals/extension, and then it becomes an open market for out of contract players.

A simple solution that keeps all parties (players, clubs, media, and fans) happy.

• Like 1

Not only should they be banned from revealing it, they should be banned from re-signing any player in the last 6 months of their contract.

You get to sign up your player until March and then that's it - the footy starts and contracts can be dealt with later.

Again, the US Sports do this aspect far better. Extensions are allowed but the above occurs and teams must then allow their players contract to expire before signing them up again.

Penalties apply for breaching these rules.

Interesting. Can't say I agree. I think players deserve the right to let their footy do the talking towards the end of a contract and then sign on with their current club. I'm hoping both Howe and Garland do that this year.

But there's merit to your ideal. Certainly we need strong rules against other clubs approaching players, signing them to contracts etc. Geelong shouldn't be allowed to have done half of what they have with Dangerfield, even if they are playing it cool now.

A simple solution that keeps all parties (players, clubs, media, and fans) happy.

I think you and wrecker are onto something, except that your solution is not in the interests of the media or the AFL. Their job* is to occupy as many column inches with their product as they can, and taking all the drama out of player movement would cost them a lot of publicity.

*At least, that's what they seem to think their job is. I think their job should be to make footy as good as it can be for everyone that cares about it. They seem to think world domination and financial prosperity is the goal.

I think you and wrecker are onto something, except that your solution is not in the interests of the media or the AFL. Their job* is to occupy as many column inches with their product as they can, and taking all the drama out of player movement would cost them a lot of publicity.

*At least, that's what they seem to think their job is. I think their job should be to make footy as good as it can be for everyone that cares about it. They seem to think world domination and financial prosperity is the goal.

Spot on. Sadly.

Interesting. Can't say I agree. I think players deserve the right to let their footy do the talking towards the end of a contract and then sign on with their current club. I'm hoping both Howe and Garland do that this year.

But there's merit to your ideal. Certainly we need strong rules against other clubs approaching players, signing them to contracts etc. Geelong shouldn't be allowed to have done half of what they have with Dangerfield, even if they are playing it cool now.

If you have a rule where the clubs can't re-sign their own players during the season then you remove this constant pressure on the player and the club to 'get it done asap.' If you are forced to wait until the season ends, then that will mitigate the pressure and the sideshow we saw with Frawley and might now see with Howe.

• Like 1

If you have a rule where the clubs can't re-sign their own players during the season then you remove this constant pressure on the player and the club to 'get it done asap.' If you are forced to wait until the season ends, then that will mitigate the pressure and the sideshow we saw with Frawley and might now see with Howe.

How about a compromise? Free agents who don't sign before round x (start of year, mid year etc) have to wait. Uncontracted non free agents (by the way this designation will eventually change to restricted free agents) can sign with their current clubs at any time.

That way young players who aren't established are free to secure their future at any stage. Older players who will become free agents have to wait it out.

They've got it wrong though. All this talk during the season actually distracts from the product.

A proper free agency period at the end of the year prolongs the interest in footy. It should be part of the October/Nov action. A lot of people dislike the meat market because so far the rules are trash and the small clubs get rorted. But with proper free agency rules and trade rules things can work out pretty well. We were all happy to get Frost, Lumumba, Newton and Garlett, imagine if the system was on level pegging and clubs could make beneficial trades and free agency deals more often.

The NFL has got it down perfectly.

Playoffs in Jan. Superbowl in Feb. Free agency in March. Draft in April/May. Training camp in July. Preseason in August. Season in Sep. I think June is the only month without significant action and the players take care of that by all getting arrested on holidays.

Of course there is talk during the season about player movements but most of the time it's on what is actually happening on the field. Because there is a gap between the end of the season and free agency the playoffs aren't hijacked.

Kieran Foran announced a few days later he's off to Parramatta. That's the equivalent of us losing Jones and Tyson.

I think we're already there aren't we? Star players not signing, only difference is they haven't announced a destination. From memory the last big name player to put a hold on talks before signing was Travis Cloke.

Edited by Al's Demons

Its the intersection of sport and business.

Sport means teams and supporter loyalty. We are loyal so we expect our players to be loyal. To us. To our team.

Business means professional athletes with a relatively short window to maximise their earnings and/or chance of a flag.

As a Dees fans I want our good players to stay and the ones that do are the ones revered till the end of time.

As a salaryman I respect an AFL players right to maximise their earning and/or chance of a flag.

The competition aspect adds further complexity.

The NFL 'Any Given Sunday' idea embodies the idea that a league is at its best when each week you think your team has a chance of winning. Its an idea that is alive here in the oft expressed wish for the AFL to be 'not like the Premier League'.

The NFL player movement system is a good model in terms of its free agency restrictions on the top teams acquiring players and the window for movement. The game itself is of course absolute pox!

Its the intersection of sport and business.

Sport means teams and supporter loyalty. We are loyal so we expect our players to be loyal. To us. To our team.

Business means professional athletes with a relatively short window to maximise their earnings and/or chance of a flag.

As a Dees fans I want our good players to stay and the ones that do are the ones revered till the end of time.

As a salaryman I respect an AFL players right to maximise their earning and/or chance of a flag.

The competition aspect adds further complexity.

The NFL 'Any Given Sunday' idea embodies the idea that a league is at its best when each week you think your team has a chance of winning. Its an idea that is alive here in the oft expressed wish for the AFL to be 'not like the Premier League'.

The NFL player movement system is a good model in terms of its free agency restrictions on the top teams acquiring players and the window for movement. The game itself is of course absolute pox!

The idea might be alive but there has been no practical implementation of it, in fact the opposite. They seem to be heading towards a premier league situation at a great rate of knots.