Training - Monday 23rd February, 2015

The Devil Inside

I was there again, how tragic

Only no show was Trengove, I think, Max King made a brief appearance and went inside to siwm, said he was off legs today, the Hammy Twins Vince and Howe ran laps, so did Neal Bullen, all said they are tracking as they should be, no timeframe on return as yet

Gus Brayshaw didn't do much, said he didn't shine in the concussion test after the two knocks, he said both Viney and Tommy Mc got him in the praccy match, so has been given a light week, said he would be lucky to pass some of the tests unconcussed.

Petracca was out there, handballing, coaching, encouraging, helping to get the padding down from around the goalposts at the end (I kid you not)

Emphasis was on ball movement again, standouts today Tyson, Pedersen, Stretch, Bail

Roos had one explosion, lack of support when Nathan Jones got a clearance

New nickname for those that like them, Harmes is now Nut, both he and Vandenberg trained with the forwards

Salem did a bit more one on one work at the end

From Jade Rawlings, the time and location of the Intraclub was part of the program schedule, had been for a while

Another interesting bit, JKH played as an inside mid for the Indigenous All Stars, said he enjoyed every minute of it, because of the lack of height in the IAS, they tried to read Eagles ruck taps, said he learned a lot

Nev Jetta suitably modest about being in the best, said he was just doing his job, played on both Wellingham and Gaff

Any questions feel free, pics will be on Twitter Demonpk soon

• Like 33

As usual, thanks Saty... if I can be arsed, I'll see if I can post a review of tomorrow evening's Newtown Swans Under 13's first fitness/skills training session of the year :P

Am really interested to know how Vandenberg is travelling TDI.

You say he trained with the forwards , how is his marking ability and his kinging skills deep into the forward line.

Vandenberg is ticking all the boxes, he is now back training fully, spoke to him at Casey on Thursday, all his GPS numbers are AFL level, he is the third fastest or so at the club for sprint speed, he is up to his playing weight of 92k and is feeling like he belongs, the more I see of him the more I can see why the club took the punt on him. His kicking for goal is very good, he makes the occasional clanger but so does every player

Can see why Harmes is being looked at up there as well, he is an aggressive bugger, can take a mark and is fast, and can kick goals, I would say we will get to see both at some stage playing forward in the NAB Cup

• Like 13

Am really interested to know how Vandenberg is travelling TDI.

You say he trained with the forwards , how is his marking ability and his kinging skills deep into the forward line.

On Vandenberg - I think he has all the tools of being the guy to come in for Petracca this year. This won't guarantee him any senior games but he has body to stand up to AFL footy and knows how to win the pill. If he can impress early in the season then I could see him knocking on the door of a debut game within the first 6 rounds of the season.

• Like 1

Is this the first time this year that Watts has joined in actual training rather than just running laps?

No, he has done a few full sessions, as I have said previously the whole fitness/medical side of things is handled really professionally now, when they were having a drinks break they checked on him, he waved them away, so obviously he is fine now, fingers and everything crossed

• Like 1

So Howe did his hammy on January 21 an they still haven't set a return date.

I find that very concerning.

I get the feeling that the club may have learnt from past pre-season mistakes about putting timeframes on players who are coming back from injuries. There are no games at the moment so they may feel that just letting things tick along at their own pace is a better way to go than putting time on it.

That said it is a shame that Howe is having a limited pre-season, I really feel this could be a big year for him if things fall our/his way.

I get the feeling that the club may have learnt from past pre-season mistakes about putting timeframes on players who are coming back from injuries. There are no games at the moment so they may feel that just letting things tick along at their own pace is a better way to go than putting time on it.

That said it is a shame that Howe is having a limited pre-season, I really feel this could be a big year for him if things fall our/his way.

He got the bulk of the fitness done, has really only missed out on the simulation stuff over the last 4 weeks, still running every session so the fitness isn't going away. He will be taking screamers before we know it (hopefully around the half forward line this year)

Everybody decided to clear out Clint and left Nathan Jones surrounded by 3, obviously the talk wasn't there, Roos stopped the drill and spent about 30 seconds pointing etc

Good to hear Roos is demanding this kind of accountability; from the reports there has been less talk of game plan this year and more focus on how we clear and move the ball as a team.

• Like 1

Everybody decided to clear out Clint and left Nathan Jones surrounded by 3, obviously the talk wasn't there, Roos stopped the drill and spent about 30 seconds pointing etc

still got a long way to go obviously before it all becomes second nature, but its progress

He got the bulk of the fitness done, has really only missed out on the simulation stuff over the last 4 weeks, still running every session so the fitness isn't going away. He will be taking screamers before we know it (hopefully around the half forward line this year)

Howie is pounding out the laps and so is Bernie , both are frustrated but understand the caution, I am not a fitness guru , perhaps somebody who is can explain, they seem to be doing a lot of swimming as well, what benefit does that have to overall fitness levels?

With Watts, he did the whole session today without looking behind everybody else in fitness, so they must be getting it right

Another little bit of info, complimented both Garlett and Stretch on their efforts in the intra club, Garlett again just said "doing what I am supposed to do" and Stretch thought he was ok, but still a long way off