• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Annual General Meeting

Whispering_Jack

Interestingly a question was posed about potential for a standalone VFL team. While it was unanimous amongst the club that would be the preferred option, there is a binding partnership agreement with Casey in place until December 2018, and would be prohibitively expensive to break, so we're stuck with that alignment till then.

The "Red and Blueprint" was nowhere to be seen tonight, replaced with "Respected and Great", or something to that effect. With 6 key pillars to take us forward.

Docklands has never been looked at as a potential new training ground, Aspendale Elsternwick had but would cost $37 million to get completed, E Gateway is a possibility we might look at down the track. We are looking for something that will fulfill our needs in ten years time, right now there's nothing that we 'need' at AAmi that we don't have but we're looking to future proof. Intimidated that some government and sports admin types would prefer us out of Aami, and the Rebels based there in our place.

Just on the training levels, the accepted amount to have been considered to have had a full 'uninterrupted' pre season is considered 25 sessionsby Feb 14. And the number that have, touch wood, completed that are way up on last year as previously stated.

Great to see Ron Barassi in attendance, he will be the voice of a new rebranding marketing campaign to kick off in the next few weeks.

Pretty straight forward meeting, Roos ended his speech with a quip that Petracca was the best ever footballer to come out of Beverly Hills, and on that light hearted note he was off!

Edited by DemonDave
  • Like 12

Not sure about the 30 year deal with Casey,commencing in 2009. I heard it as a 10 year, deal commencing in 2008.

This gives us four years to plan for a MFC stand-alone VFL team in 2018, including finding an acceptable home ground which is clearly the biggest hurdle. Jackson also stated that both Plapp and Byrnes were on the payroll of the MFC (c.f. Casey) which ensures that our game plans and team structures will at last be integrated (maybe enabling Casey to pull off a Premiership?).

You could be right. 3o years was on club website but in this article: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/demons-blueprint-outlines-plan-to-return-to-finals-in-2016-20150204-1364lk.html quote: "We are contracted until the end of 2018. We don't have the financial wherewithal at this point in time to stand alone even if we wanted to," Jackson said. "Our occupation at the moment is to make the Casey alignment work effectively."

Article also says: Jackson has also focused on the club's branding, with a change of emblem a possibility I guess changing the emblem is no surprise. But I hope we keep it in for some purpose if not marketing and branding as when I see it it always reminds me of Jimmy and when he launched it. Yes, I know nostalgia kicking in again...

Not sure about the 30 year deal with Casey,commencing in 2009. I heard it as a 10 year, deal commencing in 2008.

This gives us four years to plan for a MFC stand-alone VFL team in 2018, including finding an acceptable home ground which is clearly the biggest hurdle. Jackson also stated that both Plapp and Byrnes were on the payroll of the MFC (c.f. Casey) which ensures that our game plans and team structures will at last be integrated (maybe enabling Casey to pull off a Premiership?).

I'm sure the 30 year agreement was with City of Casey.

The 10 years is a contract with Casey Scorpions.

• Like 2

any word on the Roos interviews with the new recruits?

HL spoke well and gave the impression that he is committed to and capable of making a real contribution to the MFC. He will be a great addition to the leadership team both on and off the field.

Frost spoke of how much he enjoyed the environment back in Melb. (c.f. GWS) and how much it meant to him living with his family. He is wrapped with the outcome of the trade.

Similarly, both Petraca and Brayshaw are so enthusiastic and committed to playing their part in the team. I suspect that it was a real coup for us gaining them both in the draft as they obviously are wrapped to be playing in the same team (and not likely to be separated by one of them chasing more money elsewhere)!

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 7

Really a set up for Petracca.

They asked him and Brayshaw what his first impression was of the club.

He said the TAC were slowly bridging the gap so the step up to AFL standard wasn't so huge.

Brayshaw then jumped in and said Christian really felt the first day when the running was pretty full on and he struggled.

Roos then asked them both who were they looking up to within the club to model themselves on.

Petracca said it was Jack Viney. He loves the way he trains and plays.

Brayshaw said it was Nate Jones, he is lucky enough to be living with him. They do a lot of running together and also have bets on the side at goal kicking. He is losing a bit of money at the moment.

They both have really picked 2 great role models.

• Like 16

Interestingly a question was posed about potential for a standalone VFL team. While it was unanimous amongst the club that would be the preferred option, there is a binding partnership agreement with Casey in place until December 2018, and would be prohibitively expensive to break, so we're stuck with that alignment till then.

The "Red and Blueprint" was nowhere to be seen tonight, replaced with "Respected and Great", or something to that effect. With 6 key pillars to take us forward.

Docklands has never been looked at as a potential new training ground, Aspendale had but would cost $37 million to get completed, E Gateway is a possibility we might look at down the track. We are looking for something that will fulfill our needs in ten years time, right now there's nothing that we 'need' at AAmi that we don't have but we're looking to future proof. Intimidated that some government and sports admin types would prefer us out of Aami, and the Rebels based their in our place.

Just on the training levels, the accepted amount to have been considered to have had a full 'uninterrupted' pre season is considered 25 sessionsby Feb 14. And the number that have, touch wood, completed that are way up on last year as previously stated.

Great to see Ron Barassi in attendance, he will be the voice of a new rebranding marketing campaign to kick off in the next few weeks.

Pretty straight forward meeting, Roos ended his speech with a quip that Petracca was the best ever footballer to come out of Beverly Hills, and on that light hearted note he was off!

With the proper commitment from both sides it might just long enough for us to fix things at Casey!

By Aspendale do you mean Elsternwick? I've never heard mention of Aspendale.

The rebels can want whatever they like. They might actually help secure us funding to secure a new home if one arises but I'm confident PJ will keep them at bay. I do find it a bit strange that everyone seems to have the rebels destined for AAMI park. I can't imagine the Storm would want them at the same facility. Every code is competing against each other, but the two rugby's are surely competing more than any other. They even compete for athletes.

With the proper commitment from both sides it might just long enough for us to fix things at Casey!

By Aspendale do you mean Elsternwick? I've never heard mention of Aspendale.

The rebels can want whatever they like. They might actually help secure us funding to secure a new home if one arises but I'm confident PJ will keep them at bay. I do find it a bit strange that everyone seems to have the rebels destined for AAMI park. I can't imagine the Storm would want them at the same facility. Every code is competing against each other, but the two rugby's are surely competing more than any other. They even compete for athletes.

Ye Georgiou RR Elsternwick is exactly the suburb I was reaching for when writing that. No idea where I got Aspendale from!

Just from the half muttered aside from PJ, he wasnt happy about the rumblings of trying to oust us from Aami either.

The other main sticking point PJ mentioned was that if we went standalone we would need a ground of VFL quality to play on.

Standalone teams such as Collingwood have Victoria Park, Richmond have Punt Road, Essendon have Windy Hill, Geelong have Simmonds... etc

Also, good job to the first person who stood up to the microphone and rather than ask a question, complained about the prices of beer at the bar... *facepalm*

• Like 2

any word on the Roos interviews with the new recruits?

Roos did a brief q and a with HL and Frost and then Petracca and Bradshaw, 'on the couch' he dubbed.

H said he was impressed with professionalism of club, expected it to be way behind Collingwood, Frost happy to be back home in melbourne, living with family and having a break from footy at the end of each day. Petracca commented on big gap between tac cup and afl, brayshaw concurred, reminding us of the footage of Christian near death experience on day one of preseason!

Lyndon dunne's little boy had his demon jumper on with 14 and 'Daddy' on the back. Too cute!

PJ talked about 10 year strategic plan and others have said, it includes 6 pillars he talked about 3.

1. Fans. In the attempt to engage new fans in growth corridors, heartland has been ignored. More focus on inner East and bayside suburbs

2. Branding, linking MFC with the city of Melbourne. Interesting that he said that the facts that we were the original club in the competition, we wrote the rules of the game, and that we bear the name melbourne, is not WHY we are great but why we NEED to be great. That we have a sort of responsibility to the city to be great. We can expect more efforts to strengthen links between the footy club and the city of Melbourne going forward.

3. Footy, others have covered this, aim to make finals 2016. Roos compared this preseason to the last, in that 38 players had completed benchmark 25 sessions, compared with only 25 last season.

These comments aren't meant to be a verbatim account, so excuse any shortcomings please

• Like 14

GB might be just a little too soporific, but then again, not sure if we need a President with razzmatazz.

Presents as a careful, competent and committed.

PJ is refreshingly direct - clear & unflinching focus on the 'bottom line' which, in turn, can best be improved quickly by better on-field performances/results.

What a contrast to the new-age, corporate-speak waffle that I recall Cameron Schwab spouting at the 2013 AGM.

As for Roos, as always he seems to be in complete control of what he is doing, why he is doing it, and where he is going.

Once again, a clear contrast to the well-intentioned (but Ill-equipped) Mark Neeld.

• Like 1

2. Branding, linking MFC with the city of Melbourne. Interesting that he said that the facts that we were the original club in the competition, we wrote the rules of the game, and that we bear the name melbourne, is not WHY we are great but why we NEED to be great. That we have a sort of responsibility to the city to be great. We can expect more efforts to strengthen links between the footy club and the city of Melbourne going forward.

I love that. We owe the name, the name doesn't owe us. I've thought something similar for a long time, but was never able to articulate it properly. PJ gets it - or at least he gets me. If we can get thought into the heads of the players and supporters we'll be much better for it.

• Like 2

When you listen to PJ it makes you realise that we have been led by some poor operators over the last decade.

Him and Paul Roos just give you confidence that they know what they are doing.

PJ keeps hammering away at the fact that the only reason for the existence of the MFC is to win games of football.

• Like 8

so machsy found a car park and made it there after all

No, but I was there facepalming when that twit asked the question.

What a complete and utter ignoramus.

Really a set up for Petracca.

They asked him and Brayshaw what his first impression was of the club.

He said the TAC were slowly bridging the gap so the step up to AFL standard wasn't so huge.

Brayshaw then jumped in and said Christian really felt the first day when the running was pretty full on and he struggled.

Roos then asked them both who were they looking up to within the club to model themselves on.

Petracca said it was Jack Viney. He loves the way he trains and plays.

Brayshaw said it was Nate Jones, he is lucky enough to be living with him. They do a lot of running together and also have bets on the side at goal kicking. He is losing a bit of money at the moment.

They both have really picked 2 great role models.

Brayshaw said he lives near Nathan Jones, but the point still stands.

• Like 2

When you listen to PJ it makes you realise that we have been led by some poor operators over the last decade.

Him and Paul Roos just give you confidence that they know what they are doing.

PJ keeps hammering away at the fact that the only reason for the existence of the MFC is to win games of football.

it actually makes my bloodboil. A lot of supporters invested a lot of money, hope, and tears during that period.

I'd love to slap those involved, i truly would.

• Like 2

it actually makes my bloodboil. A lot of supporters invested a lot of money, hope, and tears during that period.

This is just my gut feel Song

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine either having any part of tanking.

Oh sorry we did not do that did we.

Yes and to hear that the football department has not always been considered first priority,; that the top heavy management structure could have 1.7 mill wiped from it, and have no ill effect on the operation of the club. Infuriating.

What was going on?

And while I'm at it, to see the lucrative and effortless revenue stream from gaming, and to wonder at the equivalent on carlton's balance sheet...infuriating!

• Like 2

Looking at FB and most opinions on here, I truly am amazed at how narrow-minded most people are - you would think we finished second last out of 100 teams, not 18. It's pizzing me off.

We led on 9 occasions in the last qtr, and lost 6 by 20 pts or less. In other words we came came very close to winning 9 or 10 games in 2014.

Our list ins/outs have clearly improved, IDGAF how anyone spins it

If our score against remains similar, but we kick 28 points more per week we will finish with a % of 100

That's it. 4 or 5 goals better. >20 point losses. Hanging on to last quarter leads.

The amount of improvement required to be back to average is way, way less than simple-minded folk (who cannot analyse any deeper than looking at a '4' on the 2014 ladder) would have you believe. The top 6 or so are a rung up on us but to suggest we can't push ahead 7 spots or so is just plain idiocy.

The fact we are paying 2.70 in round 1 illustrates it well. We were just about robbed against the same mob on the same ground last year when the bald golden boy got the softest free in history and snuffed us out. We beat the Crows in Adelaide and the tigers. The dogs and port beat us twice each in close ones - but for some reason it is totally far-fetched that we could move ahead of any of these sides. Grr.

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 18

Thanks for all the reports guys

I expect massive improvement this year.

We simply have to expect it. We the financial supporters must demand it.

It is the way the club will gain respect and improve.

We can climb the ladder with commitment.

The dark days have passed. The players must believe.

Victories and not blazers

• Like 2

This is just my gut feel Song

I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine either having any part of tanking.

Oh sorry we did not do that did we.

Well there's a lot of big names in the league that have direct or indirect links to tanking. I'm not going to list them but it's easy to work out. We're talking about a veritable cavalcade of names. Tanking has been practiced by numerous clubs and has happened on numerous occasions from the mid 90's (it perhaps started even earlier)

Tanking was at it's height in that 3 year stretch ('03 - '05) when no fewer than 9 priority picks were handed out. Strangely enough the league changed the rules on the PP eligibility after '05. I wonder why? ^_^

Carlton alone have tanked on at least 5 occasions - when are they going to be investigated? (rhetorical question)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 3