• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Five important players for 2015

Mad_Melbourne

1: Maximus Gawn- could be anything, number one ruck, having an impact resting forward. Will demand a key defender. The more I look back at his 2014 games the more I realise he is something special

2: Hogan- all good saying let's not put pressure on him, but he is soooo important to our rise up the ladder. Direction, goals, prescence, he changes our game plan. If him and Gawn can earn the 2 best defenders then it allowes Dawes a weaker opponent.

3: Lamumba- Fast ball movement! That is going to be the single biggest factor improving our performance. M.Jones and Bail make me cry when they take a mark and push back 20m, look, wait, look, kick long down the line. Harry's game is exactly what we need. Gives our forwards a chance one out!

4: Viney- I actually think he could be part of our big 3 of Jones, Tyson, Viney this year. In my mind he has the lot. Speed, strength, aggression, skill. When on he is a possession accumulater, a leader, and a game changer. I hope he can follow in Selwoods foot steps, big call as he is the highest of elite.

5: Watts- we improve, he improves. A stronger mid field and faster movement could make all the difference with jack. I watched round 1 the other day and he was sensational. I know it's every possibility he will never become a dominant player, but he has the weapons to do it and i think a 10% improvement in jack watts this year pushes melbourne up towards 8-10th

I don't think the performance of any top 5 players in a club is anywhere near as important as the improvement of a bottum 5 through development or replacement of personal, which I think we have done.

Have the same naive feeling each year, but I think we could jump right up this year

• Like 4

I don't think the performance of any top 5 players in a club is anywhere near as important as the improvement of a bottum 5 through development or replacement of personal, which I think we have done.

Have the same naive feeling each year, but I think we could jump right up this year

For once it is difficult to name the bottom 5 players.

Most important players.

N.Jones - dominant midfielder and our most important player.

L.Dunn - general of the backline and absolute monster.

J.Hogan - and I only say Hogan because I have no faith in Dawes.

M.Jamar - at best gives mids first use. Big presence.

D.Tyson - takes the heat of N.Jones and provides our midfield with class.

Players important to our improvement as a side.

C.Salem - adds class, toughness and poise around the packs. Actually, Salem adds everything, he is the perfect footballer.

J.Viney - important Jack leads the way for our youth, it will be up to Viney to lead the second tier. Jack is that guy.

J.Toumpas - should bring that competitive edge, Toumpas will push the next gen of players and he won't let them get ahead of him, screams X-factor.

C.Petracca - I only add Petracca because I think - Salem aside - that Petracca is our best chance of developing into a once in a generation player.

J.Watts - thown in Watts because I believe J.Watts will rapidly improve this year and beyond. Mentally - and physically - Watts always needed time, this kid will be a star.

All in all, I think we have a flag winning list, but these kids will take another 1-2 years, we'll push finals in 2016 and could win a flag as early as 2017.

• Like 6

Can only name a clear bottom three for mine: Terlich, McKenzie, Riley.

Others who would've rounded out the clear bottom five are now gone.

The bottom for me are Petracca, Brrayshaw, Neal Bullen, Oscar McDonald, Harmes, White, King and Vandenberg, they haven't played a game yet, but then again they must be better than those guys that have, I love posts this time of year, can see some of the humble pie ready to be eaten already, if Roos keeps guys on the list, then he must see a role for them

Edited by The Devil Inside

Can only name a clear bottom three for mine: Terlich, McKenzie, Riley.

Others who would've rounded out the clear bottom five are now gone.

Gone are the days of having skinny outside blokes. ie Morton, Gysberts etc as depth players. If Terlich, McKenzie or Riley get a game they will rip the head off blokes to stay in the team.

• Like 1

1. Viney; he needs to become a greater presence around the ball taking some of the heat away from Jones and Tyson. At the moment he gets in there but he needs to get the ball out (effectively) more often.

2. Toumpas; we need more quick ball movement and better linkage from the centre feeding our forwards.

3. Hogan; his simple task to take a key defender away from Dawes and give us some forward structure. If he can't get the grab to ensure the ball drops to Gartlett or K-H (each to aim for a goal a game). His aim should 30 goals this year and to build on that the following year.

4. Maximus; we need a dominant ruck who can mark around the ground.

5. Salem; a year as a menacing half forward.

• Like 2

Tyson: The guy is quite clearly one of our future key players, we need him to pick up in 2015 where he left off. And then some. Any improvement from him will take pressure off Jonesy.

Hogan: It's tough not to get caught up in the hype, and I'm not expecting him to destroy every opponent. What is crucial that he gets through the year unscathed and that he shows his promise through the year.

Gawn: Given no 11, that's a massive show of faith by the club to a bloke who's shown good signs but also a fragility with injury (ironic given the man who made the number famous!). Time for him to step into the no 1 ruck role.

Tmac: He took on more responsibility when Roos pushed Chip forward, seeing the writing on the wall. Tmac looked like he enjoyed the responsibility, he really needs to improve his disposal though.

N. Jones: Heart and soul, he just needs to keep doing what he does. The better he plays the better or young guns will go as they will use him as a role model.

Viney another mention, time for him to step up. This is the age he needs to going from just a player to a future star.

• Like 1

The bottom for me are Petracca, Brrayshaw, Neal Bullen, Oscar McDonald, Harmes, White, King and Vandenberg, they haven't played a game yet, but then again they must be better than those guys that have, I love posts this time of year, can see some of the humble pie ready to be eaten already, if Roos keeps guys on the list, then he must see a role for them

Is Strectch a deliberate omission?

All starts in the middle. So 1, 2 and 3 are:

Jones, Tyson and Viney. I think Crossy will be tagging more and Vince will be used more on the outside than right in the guts. Those first 3 are the ones to get their hands on the contested ball the most. They'll need support from many more running players - Toumpas, Watts, M Jones etc. But win the clearances and win the physical battle and it's a start.

4 and 5 I'll go with Dawes and McDonald.

They should be the mainstays at CHF and CHB. If Dawes lays a platform for Hogan then I think they can be a partnership and not have too much pressure on the young kid. He'll get all the glory, but he needs Dawes to provide the foundation. McDonald needs to be the main tall down back. It's not much between him, Dunn and Frost. We need 2 of them playing well to set up the backline. McDonald will probably get Franklin, Roughead, Pavlich, N and J Riewoldt which is why he's the number 1. But at the same time Dunn or Frost will have Tippett, Schulz and others. The other reason for McDonald is I want to see him keep embracing his attacking game. Even using the ball safely he can be a good running player and hurt tall forwards the other way.

The ruck is important, but I think it's more about whoever is rucking playing well and we have 2 or 3 guys who can take that spot.

Yes, if we are talking about the Most Important Players then those players are already ones that are playing solid footy, if we are talking about the Most Important Players to Help Us Improve then I would be looking at; 1. a prospective midfield regular who can help Jones, Tyson, Cross, Viney, and Vince and play consistently near their level, 2. a HBF who can be damaging with his skills and run, 3. a small forward who can keep the ball down there and snag a few, 4. a tall forward to help Dawes straighten us up, and 5. another mid to help the aforementioned overworked players if not at their level...

1. [No Player looks ready for this]

2. Lumumba

3. Garlett

4. Hogan

5. Newton

Due to their being no midfielder ready to step up to the level of the Jones and co., I will add another mid to help out with Newton, and I think that player could be Bail on a wing through HF in the rotation.

6. Bail.

i would put Viney in at number 1 in so far as to step up a level and become a regular game changer. Can he take his game to the next level of say similar to Tyson last year???

Edited by Grimes Times

i would put Viney in at number 1 in so far as to step up a level and become a regular game changer. Can he take his game to the next level of say similar to Tyson last year???

I don't see him contributing much more than he currently has over his first two years - I love the way he plays, and he can get better and neater with his disposal and I think he can push Jones and Tyson in the next few years, but I am talking about team improvement to push us up the ladder and those three and Vince and Cross need help.

Viney is already at that 'regular, consistent, hard working midfielder with solid skills and footy brain' plateau with the other four - I don't see anyone else reaching that plateau in 2015.

I agree with all that rpfc

Except

Bail

Not for me. IMO we have seen his best and it he is not up to it.

Best of some ordinary options, OD, I think the kids look great but not ready for a solid midfield contribution, and Michie, Riley, McKenzie, M.Jones, and Bail are the only ones beside Newton who are in a position to help more straight away.

Roos likes Bail so that's where that is.

I think he reminds me more of a Pendlebury. Just seems to have alot of time and is so smooth.

I agree. Pendlebury just seems to have so much time and therefore always seems to make the right decision. I think this is what makes a good player a great player, decision making. Tyson also seems to have a lot of time all he needs now is to make better decisions.

As for most important there is none more important to this club than Hogan but its unfair to ask that much so early.

The other is Jones, heart and soul of this team and club in every way and totally irreplaceable.

I don't see him contributing much more than he currently has over his first two years - I love the way he plays, and he can get better and neater with his disposal and I think he can push Jones and Tyson in the next few years, but I am talking about team improvement to push us up the ladder and those three and Vince and Cross need help.

Viney is already at that 'regular, consistent, hard working midfielder with solid skills and footy brain' plateau with the other four - I don't see anyone else reaching that plateau in 2015.

I agree, I suppose I was trying to say if Viney could step up and take his game to another level it would help us improve as a team. Not really anything to do with 5 important players but oh well.

Ah Saty, I knew you wouldn't be able to resist.

I am obviously only including players who have, ya know, played a game.

I promise I'll only say nice rainbow flavoured things about every player for the next week,. They're all WINNERS!

• Like 1

Gone are the days of having skinny outside blokes. ie Morton, Gysberts etc as depth players. If Terlich, McKenzie or Riley get a game they will rip the head off blokes to stay in the team.

Agreed. Even if they aren't the most skilled, they have heart and mongrel, and I'm not dismissing them as depth for the stage we are at as a team.

To me it is your 5 to midfielders, we just need to find away to get the footy in our forward 50m more, N Jones, Tyson, Viney, Vince and Cross. Then we just need to get a couple of players to carry the football, Kent, Salam and Toumpas.

• Like 1

Most important players.

Players important to our improvement as a side.

Most important players

Jones

Vince

Tyson

(our 3 most damaging players)

Tmac and Dawes.

With Frawley and Clark gone, they need to step up and be number ones. Hogan's played 0 games. Dawes needs to step up.

Players important to our improvement as a side

Hogan, Viney, Salem, Toump, Gawn.