THE ESSENDON 34: ON TRIAL

Demonland

I believe that that the Competition( AFL) as a whole would benefit greatly if Essendon were removed from the competition.

By far the greatest would be that the controlling body have taken back the reins!

Further that The Brownlow medal for the Fairest and Best, mind you worth far more in value let alone TV rights to us all than Essendon, is never tarnished irreparably again

Finally to name just a few benefits let us not forget that we have a viewing audience around the world in the millions fairly often.

Do we think that they will want to watch a team like that one in 2012 that cockily ran out on to the ground knowing that unfair, smug air of superiority aloofness could prevail again in a Grand Final.

Cannot agree with that OD.

I think the average AFL non Essendon Supporter will hate them quite openly

It is only Rohan Conolly who is pushing the "People are sick of this, just let it go away wagon"

We each have different experiences Sir W

What you describe is not my experience including which I might add three Dees supporters.

Edited by old dee

SWYL...I think the opinions and views towards Essendon by non Windy Hilliers will depend Upon just what depth of knowledge as to this subject that a person has.

We are by any comparison as a lot reasonably well versed in the shenanigans to date. I dare say the typical punter in the street has none of this and might as such harbour sympathies even for the players.

Those on the various boards are beyond havinv the wool pulled over our views. But as a % we forum folk are a minority and there are many of the gullible sort out there in the public !!

• Like 1

this is exactly why all the evidence needs to be laid very clear, very publicly.

otherwise people will never understand whats happened.

Exactly correct and the findings wont be and the EFC supporters will cry foul for ever and a day.

We each have different experiences Sir W

What you describe is not my experience including which I might add three Dees supporters.

Make it four. I'm strongly in the camp that Essendon might have to be punished but they should be allowed to get their house back in order.

For those calling for Essendon to be excised, imagine the debate if supporters of other clubs wanted Melbourne to be delicensed or moved to Tassie because of the combination of tanking and seriously poor on-field performances. For the last few years (up until the end of 2013) we have been the competition's embarrassment.

• Like 1

OD .. I think once the decision is in and ought it be guilty then the names are then in the public domain upon the Registry. Also are the findings. Am sure some journo hound will not let them sleep there. Probably not anyone from News though :rolleyes:

Why do the Essendrug players need anonymity so badly when Patrick Ryder, Stewart Crameri and Angus Monfries have been afforded none?

Essendope and its players, coach and president are absolutely gutless leaving those 3 blokes to carry the can

The AFL doesn't need Essenjection, and I hope like hell they are wiped out forever and Tassie can finally have a team

• Like 4

Make it four. I'm strongly in the camp that Essendon might have to be punished but they should be allowed to get their house back in order.

For those calling for Essendon to be excised, imagine the debate if supporters of other clubs wanted Melbourne to be delicensed or moved to Tassie because of the combination of tanking and seriously poor on-field performances. For the last few years (up until the end of 2013) we have been the competition's embarrassment.

Essendon's cheating and using money and lawyers to fight the AFL's and anyone else's right to call them to account is on a different spectrum to our shortcomings. Totally different. Is that not obvious to some?? This is unprecedented. And unrepentant.

• Like 2

Essendon's cheating and using money and lawyers to fight the AFL's and anyone else's right to call them to account is on a different spectrum to our shortcomings. Totally different. Is that not obvious to some?? This is unprecedented. And unrepentant.

Not to mention we werent the first and the fact that the rules were set up to reward less than 4 wins...

SWYL...I think the opinions and views towards Essendon by non Windy Hilliers will depend Upon just what depth of knowledge as to this subject that a person has.

We are by any comparison as a lot reasonably well versed in the shenanigans to date. I dare say the typical punter in the street has none of this and might as such harbour sympathies even for the players.

Those on the various boards are beyond havinv the wool pulled over our views. But as a % we forum folk are a minority and there are many of the gullible sort out there in the public !!

of course there will be people who remain ignorant..One has the choice to read or not.

I don't think Essendon will be removed from the comp but i expect severe sanctions to be delivered.

If not the competition will always be under suspicion.

Over to you Dill

The AFL signed on to the WADA Code...

Why do the Essendrug players need anonymity so badly when Patrick Ryder, Stewart Crameri and Angus Monfries have been afforded none?

Essendope and its players, coach and president are absolutely gutless leaving those 3 blokes to carry the can

The AFL doesn't need Essenjection, and I hope like hell they are wiped out forever and Tassie can finally have a team

it's another stalling tactic and a power gambit.
  • Like 2

LaDee, we were not found guilty of tanking. Admittedly our on field performances have been poor, but to compare our transgressions with those of Essendon is a step too far.

What we did was pretty much what others were doing, the difference being we got caught.

There was no systemic use of drugs unapproved for human consumption.

There was no destroying or failing to keep evidence.

There was no drawn out campaign of obfuscation.

There was no drawn out legal challenge.

There was no risk of permanently and irreparably damaging the health of young men under our care.

We may be many things but we are not the cheats and liars that Essendon are nor do we perform unethical illegal human experimentation. No we cannot be compared to Essendon.

• Like 5

It is alleged Hunt and the co-accused arranged for cocaine for personal use or to be passed on to friends or colleagues between June and December 2014.

Hunt was playing in the AFL for the Gold Coast Suns and training with the Reds during that time.

Clearly our drug testing regime is still pretty loose.....

LaDee, we were not found guilty of tanking. Admittedly our on field performances have been poor, but to compare our transgressions with those of Essendon is a step too far.

What we did was pretty much what others were doing, the difference being we got caught.

There was no risk of permanently and irreparably damaging the health of young men under our care.

We may be many things but we are not the cheats and liars that Essendon are nor do we perform unethical illegal human experimentation. No we cannot be compared to Essendon.

Mandee I think you are missing what LDC is saying it was IMO not about what should have happened to the MFC .

We were discussing how the general public feels about the EFC situation.

My view I think supported by LDC is that they do not have the same view as the Majority of MFC fanatics on Demonland.

They do not care as much as us is my view.

• Like 1

And you believe it is not happening here??

That would be a little naive, sorry WJ

I agree jnrmac the rumours on a few players in the AFL are too strong and have been going to long for there not to be some fire.

Only a matter of time in my view.

A lot of people may be very surprised about the amount of Cocaine consumed by the more highly regarded members of this society.

• Like 1

You make a good case. I wasn't, however, trying to compare the magnitude of the "crimes" (using the word loosely). Rather I was attempting to equate the competitions' supporters' response to the "crimes". When determining the response of supporters (not the Tribunal or any courts which might be involved), in my opinion what should happen should not be judged solely on the negative aspects of the last few years but Essendon's contribution to the game, the State of Victoria and the nation as a whole. There is cultural fabric that needs to be considered. Essendon has been part of a lot of good that the AFL and before it the VFL has brought to our society. Should Essendon be removed permanently from the competition I believe there would be irreparable damage to the competition and in doing so probably significant damage to the weaker clubs, like ours, in the washup.

Mandee I think you are missing what LDC is saying it was IMO not about what should have happened to the MFC .

My view I think supported by LDC is that they do not have the same view as the Majority of MFC fanatics on Demonland.

Sorry, but a comparison was made.

However I do accept what you say with regard to the general public and the EFC. The spin doctors from Essendon have been working feverishly to get the great uninformed onside. I think they have been largely successful to date, so I agree that they do not care as much as us. But that is no reason to compare us to them.

I feel sullied to have my team compared with Essendon. We may not play the best footy but we don't risk the futures of our players using illegal substances.

• Like 3

OD he may agree with you on that but his statement:

was what Mandee was referring to. I don't see how that relates to how other supporters would have reacted in either our or EFC's case. I think we all agree that Essendon's crime was immeasurably worse than anything we did. I agree with those who say Essendon can't (and won't) be kicked out. I expect the AFL will be reaching for the lightest feather they can get away with.

I don't know how what general public's attitude to the EFC crimes are - as I said before I'm sure the AFL has done polls - they may have even leaked by now for those who are still crossing their legs.

You make a good case. I wasn't, however, trying to compare the magnitude of the "crimes" (using the word loosely). Rather I was attempting to equate the competitions' supporters' response to the "crimes". When determining the response of supporters (not the Tribunal or any courts which might be involved), in my opinion what should happen should not be judged solely on the negative aspects of the last few years but Essendon's contribution to the game, the State of Victoria and the nation as a whole. There is cultural fabric that needs to be considered. Essendon has been part of a lot of good that the AFL and before it the VFL has brought to our society. Should Essendon be removed permanently from the competition I believe there would be irreparable damage to the competition and in doing so probably significant damage to the weaker clubs, like ours, in the washup.

Fair point, my reply above was written prior to reading your point.

As to the view of damage to weaker clubs from excising the boil of Essendon from the competition, I think the competition will be better for it.

South & Fitzroy supporters have not all been lost to football. Sometimes short term pain is needed in order to go ahead. Tassie Bombers would be a positive outcome and it would show others that the cost of seriously transgressing the rules can be massive.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, and without extending the debate, I think whenever team's seriously transgress accepted rules, the punishments should primarily be directed to the individuals who make the decision to break the rules. I agree that clubs also need some form of punishment so that they do not benefit from the crimes committed, but meaningful (ie, longterm or lifetime) bans should be "offered" to those individuals proven to have been culpable.

slobbo pushes for essendon man to fill vacancy on afl commission

just what we need. why don't we just hand over the chairman's job too and be done with it

Talk about putting Dracula in charge of the Blood Bank.

He has now removed all shadow of doubt that he is a fool.

MM it would seem has been right about him for the last ten years.

MM treats him with contempt I wonder why!