Training - Monday November 24, 2014

Whispering_Jack

It turns out there was training today and bigfooty poster tasmanlvr was one of the few who braved the elements so I hope he doesn't mind:-

If a tree fell in the forest and no one was there to hear it, did it really fall? That's the question I pondered to myself when I rocked up to Gosch's. It was kinda raining (not too much for now) but I was surprised I was alone. Cue the trolls who reckon I have no life (I do, actually - it's a big week ahead).

9:30 odd: I am not alone. Dude on a bike rocks up - but only briefly. So in front of a Gosch's Paddock record attendance of, um, one, the boys start their training for the day.

I almost need not say what the boys do first up. Basic stretches, lap around the oval, the works. Spencer, Harmes and Lumumba (?) doing seperate activities, rehab group? The even better question is why is Lumumba there? Dawes is doing his own thing as well in the middle and not participating in the warm ups, just a few marking drills and that's it really.

Boys did a stretch right in front of me, surely as thanks for being the only one there at that point... maybe not.

Dawes buggers off early. Who knows maybe it's rostered or something to manage workload, I dunno. Anyway, it's pissing down at this point. The crowd is also getting very big (I count five now after a sluggish start - not too far away from the attendances at the cricket at the moment).

Some work with the footy now, short 15m (closer to 10 when I think about it) kicks.

Out of the blue (okay maybe not, it was predicted) thunder. Thunderbolts and lightning, very very frightening, me! Galileo, Galileo... you know the rest. Or at least you SHOULD. Get my drift yeah.

A split in three follows, forwards, mids, defenders. Forwards are doing this kind of drill where they're looking to square it to an option with a short 20m kick at gest, mids are doing stoppage drills and the defenders are doing some one on one contest drills.

One thing I might mention in the forward drill - Hogan's field kicking is exquisite. Just doesn't miss a target.

Traditional ball movement drill now - and with the conditions a lot of players drop some dollies that would be easily taken in the dry. The balls are literally soap. I'm sure this won't be a regular occurance if weather predictions are anything to go by (hot summer ahead, they say).

Some of the skills in this drill were rather ordinary though that owes more to the conditions more than anythingbelse so there's something to work on here.

Kent buggers off after this drill. Spencer goes to the sidelines from rehab.

Evasion drill of sorts now. Basically two sides, one with bibs, one without, groups of four come out and try to keep it off the other team. Ball usage in this one is much improved from the last drill, even though - yes - it is a handball drill in the wet.

One bloke I'm noting that's particularly vocal is Watts.

Lumumba walks out after doing a multitude of laps, can confirm he will take James Frawley's number in 2015. (#8 on his bag)

Variation of the previous drill, adding a kick. There's one particular instance where Watts just bursts through a pack of players, as if time stood still. Want to see it more. Like, a lot more.

Again, some of the skills in this drill aren't as good as they could be. Few kicks that skid along a little bit.

Okay what we have now is like 17 groups of players doing their own thing, it's hard to know where to look lol.

Too many seperate groups to go through.

Couple more leave the track (Bernie and Gawn)

Match simulation - IT BEGINS. At this point I'm leaving the iPad in the bag because it is raining heavily. What I do see is Salem hitting up Hogan beautifully when the conditions are at their worst. Very impressed with that.

Running now after the brief simulation. Watts and Jamar bugger off... only to start running on the adjacent oval. Very impressed with what Watts did today, thought it was one of his best sessions.

At Gosch's in the meantime, some brave souls decide to wear their runners. I salute you. Few 200s by the looks of it.

• Like 3

It turns out there was training today and bigfooty poster tasmanlvr was one of the few who braved the elements so I hope he doesn't mind:-

Tasmanlvr is the same kid who runs the 'Melbourne Football Club Supporters Page' on Facebook. He posts his reports pretty much everywhere so doubt he'd mind.

9:30 odd: I am not alone. Dude on a bike rocks up - but only briefly.

That, I think, was me. I didn't see anyone else around, but as reported, I was only there for a few minutes. Nothing to add to tasmanlvr's excellent report, apart from noticing Watts in conversation with Lumumba as they arrived and did a warm-up lap or two.

9:30 odd: I am not alone. Dude on a bike rocks up - but only briefly.

That, I think, was me. I didn't see anyone else around, but as reported, I was only there for a few minutes. Nothing to add to tasmanlvr's excellent report, apart from noticing Watts in conversation with Lumumba as they arrived and did a warm-up lap or two.

Brilliant write up R & Bb, to the point, concise yet so full of detail on what you saw. Keep it up. Edited by Cards13
  • Like 4

dare i say it? could 2015 be his breakout year?

ya just jinxed it ya nong !! :rolleyes:

I got as far as crossing Victoria Parade, looked at the colour of the sky to the west and buggered off back home, my apologies for being a wimp, hoping to go on Wednesday, as previously reported Watts is doing a hell of a lot of extra running, keeps whingeing at Misson (in a joking manner)

HAHA Joking manner my @ss!

Edited by AzzKikA