• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

THE ROAD TO ROUND 1, 2015

iv'a worn smith

I don't see why Roos would bother naming Howe if he was not going to play, he is not into those type of games

To give him until the last minute to prove his fitness, presumably.

It's the only reason I can think of anyway. Can't see what's going to change between yesterday and Saturday since we (again, presumably) know Howe has recovered from his injury but is just short of a run.

By accident I ended up watching a very light session the boys had this morning. The senior 22, Dawes and the emergencies trained separate to the Casey lads.

Ben Matthews walked them through some stoppage work which required all players to set up in their positions. vanders started foward, which tells me he won't be the sub tomorrow, and he was part of a 4 man forward line consisting of Hogan deep, Frost and Kent. All other forwards were up around a congested stoppage area. Howie was set up in defence.

We'll just have to wait and see but I'd be pretty confident this will be how we'll start tomorrow.

• Like 8

The inclusions of some more mature bodies allows the FD to play the kids without asking them to do more than they can.

Brayshaw will be the sub IMO - and the 21 will still be young but Salem is the only other teenager. The injection of HL, Garlett, and Newton at 28, 25, and 22 allow the FD to go younger with the periphery players(VandenBerg is being rewarded for his promising halves in the NAB Challenge and has been playing against men for half a decade).

Hogan, Toumpas, Kent, Frost, Viney, JKH, and Tyson are all 20/21 with bodies that are beginning to allow them to do near to a seasoned pro can do.

And when that happens - the form of the seasoned pros like Grimes, Michie, Jones, Bail, Terlich and McKenzie - were always going to more heavily scrutinised.

If this was a decision based on "getting games into kids, and not wasting them on 'pros going nowhere'" - I disagree with that mentality whole heartedly.

If this was a decision based on the form of peripheral role players being 'good enough' compared to those seasoned pros - I am all for it.

And whether we win tomorrow will be mainly based on the performance of Jones, Dunn, Jetta, Garland, McDonald, Cross, HL, Garlett, Jamar, Watts, Howe, and Newton.

• Like 6

The inclusions of some more mature bodies allows the FD to play the kids without asking them to do more than they can.

Brayshaw will be the sub IMO - and the 21 will still be young but Salem is the only other teenager. The injection of HL, Garlett, and Newton at 28, 25, and 22 allow the FD to go younger with the periphery players(VandenBerg is being rewarded for his promising halves in the NAB Challenge and has been playing against men for half a decade).

Hogan, Toumpas, Kent, Frost, Viney, JKH, and Tyson are all 20/21 with bodies that are beginning to allow them to do near to a seasoned pro can do.

And when that happens - the form of the seasoned pros like Grimes, Michie, Jones, Bail, Terlich and McKenzie - were always going to more heavily scrutinised.

If this was a decision based on "getting games into kids, and not wasting them on 'pros going nowhere'" - I disagree with that mentality whole heartedly.

If this was a decision based on the form of peripheral role players being 'good enough' compared to those seasoned pros - I am all for it.

And whether we win tomorrow will be mainly based on the performance of Jones, Dunn, Jetta, Garland, McDonald, Cross, HL, Garlett, Jamar, Watts, Howe, and Newton.

I note that you haven't changed your sig despite your statement that stats lie.

It's hard to take you seriously now. :)

By accident I ended up watching a very light session the boys had this morning. The senior 22, Dawes and the emergencies trained separate to the Casey lads.

Ben Matthews walked them through some stoppage work which required all players to set up in their positions. vanders started foward, which tells me he won't be the sub tomorrow, and he was part of a 4 man forward line consisting of Hogan deep, Frost and Kent. All other forwards were up around a congested stoppage area. Howie was set up in defence.

We'll just have to wait and see but I'd be pretty confident this will be how we'll start tomorrow.

That's what it looked like yesterday as well, so should be it

I have zero doubt Howe's going to play. Roos has been stating for weeks that he had the run in his legs and with the right training loads he'd play him. He's a dead set certainty.

Tyson is the most important player tomorrow. He's the most talented where games are won. It's his 4th year and he's had his first ever full preseason. He'll take heat off Jones and if he starts getting effective clearances it helps others gain metres on their opposition.

Ablett will play reduced minutes in the midfield, O'Meara's not playing and Swallow, Prestia and Bennell are good, but they're a young group and not unbeatable. Can Tyson, Jones, Viney, Cross, Newton and Lamumba grind out some superiority around the congestion ?

The speed of JKH, Kent and Garlett will be important and we desperately need quality delivery into the forward 50.

• Like 3

Hopefully Jamar, Jones, Cross, Dunn, Kent, Hogan, Viney and even Brayshaw can try to 'bully' GC. The Suns don't have a single tough player on their field. When we came out too hard for Richmond and Carlton to handle last year, we won.

Absolutley pumped for this , best team ( better with Dawes ) we have had for years and am confident we can win and will be 3 wins zero losses when we take on the tioges .

You do realise that whilst Viv has been in the system for 4 years (entering his 5th) he has virtually only had two seasons and played 6.5 games. Would hardly call him a seasoned pro. His first two years at Freo were all spent on the LTI list not to mention the last 6 games at Peel when he did his meniscus. He has had 2 preseasons in 5 years.

The point is he has a mans body regardless of games played. I'm bullish about this game but agree it will be the efforts of the senior players that will get us over the line & hopefully some cameos from our future stars that seal it for us. Either way I am still unreservedly excited about the season ahead.

With this team (7 new players!), plus Dawes and Vince Roos has backed his recruitment and team building strategy, and has set the tone (and team) for the first month.

We're backing speed, youth and more attack over dour defence.

I hope it pays off, so we finally can build a footy brand that wins games and is enjoyable to watch.

Big game! A win will set up our season and build confidence in this new team.

You do realise that whilst Viv has been in the system for 4 years (entering his 5th) he has virtually only had two seasons and played 6.5 games. Would hardly call him a seasoned pro. His first two years at Freo were all spent on the LTI list not to mention the last 6 games at Peel when he did his meniscus. He has had 2 preseasons in 5 years.

Yes, I realise that he hasn't had much AFL match experience but there will be little patience for him - he has been in an elite system for half a decade - that qualifies one to be considered a professional in this business from where I sit. He needs to get going.

• Like 1

The best thing about recording a decent win tomorrow is that it will spoil both Gary Lyon and Gerard Healey's football tips (and help both Wayne Carey Dermott Brereton). It is a tragedy that the only past superstars of the game who have faith in us come from other Clubs rather than one of our own!

Edited by CBDees

The best thing about recording a decent win tomorrow is that it will spoil both Gary Lyon and Gerard Healey's football tips (and help Dermot Brereton). It is a tragedy that the sole past star of the game who has faith in us is a Hawk rather than one of our own!

so Wayne Carey and Dermott have both tipped us

Two of the better football minds in the media too. Happy with that.

• Like 1

so Wayne Carey and Dermott have both tipped us

Two of the better football minds in the media too. Happy with that.

Corrected after HH's response (i forgot about Carey):

"The best thing about recording a decent win tomorrow is that it will spoil both Gary Lyon and Gerard Healey's football tips (and help both Wayne Carey and Dermott Brereton). It is a tragedy that the only past superstars of the game who have faith in us come from other Clubs rather than one of our own!"

Edited by CBDees

The best thing about recording a decent win tomorrow is that it will spoil both Gary Lyon and Gerard Healey's football tips (and help both Wayne Carey Dermott Brereton). It is a tragedy that the only past superstars of the game who have faith in us come from other Clubs rather than one of our own!

So you reckon anyone in the media should always tip the team they used to play for? Doesn't make for interesting tv. I'm sure Gaz wants us to win badly but just realises GC are a better team than us

• Like 1

Garry Lyon said he was tipping Melbourne on the Footy Show.

Does anyone know any details about the game against Collingwood tomorrow.

What time does it start, who is playing for us, all that sort of thing.

Really disappointing it's not on the MFC site, or have I missed it?

If you think it's disappointing not being on the MFC site, then consider the Casey site which has nothing about it other than a footnote in the article about last week's practice match and even then, the information given is incorrect in that it talks about an 11.00 am start. To be fair, that was probably the starring time when that article was written.

Without looking though, I'm sure the Collingwood site has the information and probably an article on who's playing.

If you think it's disappointing not being on the MFC site, then consider the Casey site which has nothing about it other than a footnote in the article about last week's practice match and even then, the information given is incorrect in that it talks about an 11.00 am start. To be fair, that was probably the starring time when that article was written.

Without looking though, I'm sure the Collingwood site has the information and probably an article on who's playing.

Had an email from club this afternoon saying starting time 10.30 at Olympic Park Oval. No team though Edited by Mgdee

B: Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn, Neville Jetta

HB: Christian Salem, Tom McDonald, Jeremy Howe

C: Heritier Lumumba, Daniel Cross, Ben Newton

HF: Dean Kent, Jesse Hogan, Jimmy Toumpas

F: Jeff Garlett, Sam Frost, Jack Watts

FOLL: Mark Jamar, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson

I/C: Jack Viney, Angus Brayshaw, Jay Kennedy-Harris, Aaron vandenBerg

EMG: Max Gawn, Jack Grimes, Matt Jones

NEW: Angus Brayshaw, Sam Frost, Jeff Garlett, Jesse Hogan, Heritier Lumumba, Ben Newton, Aaron vandenBerg

Grimes emergency and Howe gets a game but Vince doesn't.

7 MFC debutants.

And 4 others that debuted under roos last year. Our side is changing significantly.

Thought I'd bump up the team again ...

Those missing who played late in the season last year (any of the last 3 games) include ... Barry, Dawes, Frawley, Gawn, Grimes, M Jones, Michie, Riley, Vince, Bail, Fitzpatrick, Pedersen & McKenzie.

That's quite a turnaround in personnel but I like the look of the new side - it remains to be seen how we will operate as a team (with all the changes) but on paper at least, the side picked has a much more solid look about it.

Best of luck to all the new players

ps ... quietly confident ^_^

• Like 4