WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN NEWTON

Moneider96

Has anyone considered we don't rate this draft.

Pick 40 is just a number, yet some are treating it as an given (AFL player)

I've considered that.

When you have kids like Harrison Wigg getting talked up, it's not a great sign. He can kick. So could Strauss.

The success of tiny blokes like Touk Miller, Caleb Daniel, Jack Lonie and so many others indicate a lack of "normal" sized comparable talent, which doesn't bode well. For all their talent, these guys have a high likelihood of struggling at the next level because of their size.

You don't have to be 189cm, but anyone sub-180 is a longshot, and then a handful are sub-170.

I'm still an advocate of giving Daniel a rookie spot, because of his talents being exceptional, but they'll have to be for him to get a spot.

Agree. But in that case, pick 40 could be an AFL player called Neville Jetta.

• Like 1

Pick 40 should get you something like the 25th-35th best player on your list of prospects out of all the eligible players.

I can't imagine that's not worth a punt compared to some of the battlers on our list.

I know I'd prefer another Dean Kent or JKH to Evans.

• Like 1

Pick 40 should get you something like the 25th-35th best player on your list of prospects out of all the eligible players.

I can't imagine that's not worth a punt compared to some of the battlers on our list.

I know I'd prefer another Dean Kent or JKH to Evans.

Agree and I would prefer another Tom McDonald at 53, to a player who won't play a game this year and can be rookied and brought back, if he can ever play again.

• Like 1

A poster on Facebook (I know but please don't shoot the messenger) claims to have the info from a family friend that the left footed Port Adelaide midfielder's announcement as a Demon through DFA will be confirmed soon in the media. Adds that he was offered during the trade period but MFC knew we could get him through the PSD or as a DFA.

A poster on Facebook (I know but please don't shoot the messenger) claims to have the info from a family friend that the left footed Port Adelaide midfielder's announcement as a Demon through DFA will be confirmed soon in the media. Adds that he was offered during the trade period but MFC knew we could get him through the PSD or as a DFA.

Now THAT is an interesting note, in regards to the Frost trade.

Maybe we did that in the knowledge we may have needed our PSD pick to use on Newton, if Port didn't play ball and delist him?

So many possibilities, it's hard to find definitive fault with that trade.

• Like 1

Speaking to a mate who knows Stephen Wells I'm told he is very confident and comfortable the Cats will find 3 players with picks 47, 55 and 60.

My mate tells me it is a very even draft and possibly a bit deeper than some are saying. You could throw a blanket over picks 15-60 and there won't be much talent separating a player picked at 20 and a player picked at 50.

When I cursed about how we hold onto spuds like Evans, McKenzie, Terlich and Bail and as a result might possibly forego pick 40 and 53 he shook his head as well.

• Like 1

Speaking to a mate who knows Stephen Wells I'm told he is very confident and comfortable the Cats will find 3 players with picks 47, 55 and 60.

My mate tells me it is a very even draft and possibly a bit deeper than some are saying. You could throw a blanket over picks 15-60 and there won't be much talent separating a player picked at 20 and a player picked at 50.

When I cursed about how we hold onto spuds like Evans, McKenzie, Terlich and Bail and as a result might possibly forego pick 40 and 53 he shook his head as well.

I'd leave Bail out of that mix, he played most games this year and contributed well. I am glad the club resigned him. Terlich, Evans and McKenzie on the other hand I am not so sure about.

• Like 4

The contrast in the performance of our current recruiters to years past is amazing. We are landing desirable players not just NQRs and beating other clubs in the process.

Looks to be another good get and our list is becoming immeasurably improved.

Another huge difference is now the club isnt relying on the draft kiddies to be the saviours... theyre just some talent on the bench for now. We've been targeting players who can come in and play some footy immediately. The draft is now just one arrow in the quiver, not the be all and end all

Oh really, so confident they'll find players at those sorts of picks that they grabbed Blease to cover Varcoe & Christensen!!! Hahahahahaha

Our club clearly made the decision months ago that they felt that resigning blokes like Terlich, Riley etc to 1 more year was better for the list than drafting kids into the 50's and beyond this year. Weak draft, but you can believe your 3rd hand info mate, all good.

Oh, & Evans & McKenzie were already signed for next year before 2014 started, so as much as some here would rather lotto number 53, some 18 yo in a weak draft, on our list instead of those guys, unfortunately that was never an option. Our club clearly sees blokes like Barry, Terlich, Bail and other extensions made in 2014 as more valuable than picks in the 40+ range & sadly I agree, no point replacing these blokes if there's nothing better out there to replace them with.

• Like 1

Oh really, so confident they'll find players at those sorts of picks that they grabbed Blease to cover Varcoe & Christensen!!! Hahahahahaha

Our club clearly made the decision months ago that they felt that resigning blokes like Terlich, Riley etc to 1 more year was better for the list than drafting kids into the 50's and beyond this year. Weak draft, but you can believe your 3rd hand info mate, all good.

Oh wow what a terrific post.

Picking up Blease just suggests Geelong don't think a lightning fast half forward flanker will be there with 47, 55 or 60.

They are very confident that in this draft they'll be able to find good players with those late picks. If they are confident a player will be worthy of a spot on the list with pick 60, I can't fathom why we would not use 40 and 53. We have a list that have won 40 games in 8 years and Evans and Terlich weren't even getting a kick at Casey in the back half of the year.

And it's not 3rd hand info. I just won't be naming the connection to Wells, but he has a lot to do with Stephen Wells.

Oh wow what a terrific post.

Picking up Blease just suggests Geelong don't think a lightning fast half forward flanker will be there with 47, 55 or 60.

They are very confident that in this draft they'll be able to find good players with those late picks. If they are confident a player will be worthy of a spot on the list with pick 60, I can't fathom why we would not use 40 and 53. We have a list that have won 40 games in 8 years and Evans and Terlich weren't even getting a kick at Casey in the back half of the year.

And it's not 3rd hand info. I just won't be naming the connection to Wells, but he has a lot to do with Stephen Wells.

We have our list strategy, they have theirs. Everyone you speak to this time of year has an agenda & every club at all levels are in the business of selling HOPE this time of year. In my opinion is this is a weak draft. Some 'experts' seem to agree with me, some don't. This is why every year there are winners and losers. We'll see in 5 years who's right or wrong.

As for Geelong, maybe they are just very cocky in there own opinion after years of usually drafting the right blokes & developing them well. But they have also got a few picks wrong also, every club has actually.

My point above was simply Blease has done nothing but a show a few offensive glimpses in 5 years!!! And he has had plenty of opportunity in that time. They could've easily got in another late pick instead of Blease if they are soo bullish & confident in this years draft crop, but no, they are punting on Blease. There is what they 'say' vs what they 'do' & picking up Blease now says to me they are particularly desperate for pace, any pace & they know that chances are whatever 18 yo's they pick up at those late selections are no where near monties to impact next year. And IF one does then I say Blease has even less chance of making at the Cats in 2015.

Edited by thevil1
  • Like 1

Oh, & Evans & McKenzie were already signed for next year before 2014 started, so as much as some here would rather lotto number 53, some 18 yo in a weak draft, on our list instead of those guys, unfortunately that was never an option. Our club clearly sees blokes like Barry, Terlich, Bail and other extensions made in 2014 as more valuable than picks in the 40+ range & sadly I agree, no point replacing these blokes if there's nothing better out there to replace them with.

Wow. Another supporter that thinks because the club gave these players contracts it must be the right decision.

THE CLUB HAS WON 40 GAMES IN 8 YEARS - NOT MANY PLAYERS ARE ANY GOOD!

I would much rather Brendan McCartney, the best Development Coach in the AFL, be given two raw 18 year old midfielders with picks 40 and 53 than hold onto players like McKenzie and Evans who have had years in the system and still can't get a kick at Casey.

Oh, and if you don't want an 18 year old then take Greg Broughton with 53. A better half back than Grimes and Terlich who, with Lamumba, might actually help us get the ball out of the backline. Has been squeezed out of Gold Coast because of the plethora of silky half backs they have. But again you probably think Grimes is a beauty too.

• Like 3