Patrick McCartin

Whispering_Jack

I just love the idea of two powerhouse forwards straightening up our side.

We have suffered with crap football for about 8 years and it is time we had something to look forward to.

I'd be happy with just one fit and firing powerhouse forward. It feels like a long time ago we actually had one.

I hope we pick McCartin too, it would mean less pressure on Hoges and hopefully we don't have to rely so heavily on Dawes.

I'd be happy with just one fit and firing powerhouse forward. It feels like a long time ago we actually had one.

I hope we pick McCartin too, it would mean less pressure on Hoges and hopefully we don't have to rely so heavily on Dawes.

It puts Neitz in perspective as far his consistency and durability. Sometimes we don't know what we have until they are gone

• Like 10

Usually heard that phrase with the c word not [censored], but the point remains. And most (if not all) the best big forwards - Brown, Hall, Carey, Franklin - loved to throw their weight around.

I'm a bit suspicious of McCartin purely because he's got plenty to work on and had a bit of an injury interrupted year. But his talent is obvious and I think he'll walk in to a good development situation. If Hogan and Dawes stay fit, combined with Pedersen or Fitzy for a bit of cover it really should be straight to Casey for McCartin as he builds his tank and rounds out his game. He should be aiming to have a year like Hogan did in 2013, with the added bonus of getting a few games once he shows he's ready.

A bit sad really but if we get McCartin I would say our 2 best KPF's haven't played a game at AFL level yet.

• Like 5

Is it possible to see some comparisons stats wise for Patty against say Boyd, Patton, Tomahawk etc?

McCartin - 13 games 108 marks 41 goals 28 behinds

Boyd - 20 games 121 marks 67 goals 25 behinds

Patton - 24 games 57 goals

No stats for Patton but he was used more higher up the ground than the other two and would statistically cover them for marks and possessions. He also played in a comparatively poor side. Boyd's stats do not include the few games he played as a double under-ager.

Edited by goodoil
  • Like 2

Is it possible to see some comparisons stats wise for Patty against say Boyd, Patton, Tomahawk etc?

You can fish around the website, but probably not unless you have an AFL source. But I doubt they are worth much.

Boyd dominated at the start of his 18 year, before being injured for a long period and coming back in the grand final and playing well. Hawkins likely played a fair bit of school footy in his last year as well. Plus he was always going to the cats so he wasn't really in need to prove much. Patty missed a lot of the year but kicked 20 goals in 5 games.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&pID=196055720&client=1-3020-111704-294694-20320268&ocompID=294694

Whether McCartin turns out to be good, very good, a star or an ordinary player remains to be seen.

What is true is that in the years we played finals more recently ('87 - '06) we nearly always had good forwards who were firing ... when we weren't playing finals either our good forwards were injured a lot or we didn't have enough of them (or any)

A good forward line can improve an average midfield - more decisiveness can be shown even by the lesser lights in the midfield and often the delivery doesn't always have to be first class because of the class of the more talented forwards.

• Like 3

Clint said we should have had 3 powerhouse forwards. I assumed he was refering to Dawes, Clarke and Hogan.

I think he would've meant Clark, Hogan and McCartin. Either way doesn't really matter as it won't happen.

Dawes has shown he's adequate as the second forward. Heck I reckon he can even play well as the first choice key forward even though I don't think he can mark to save himself. Like anyone who's played in our forward line he needs better delivery and better, more experienced players around him.

• Like 1

I actually reckon the player we're dearly missing in our fwd line is Jurrah.

The last time we were half way competetive (2010 & 2011) was when Jurrah was averaging 2.5 goals a game.

He would've kicked 40 goals for us in 2014, and probably would've seen us win 2 or 3 more games.

On McCartin, as someone else mentioned, Turner chronically overrates his kids at Geelong u18s.

That being said I'll be seriously excited if we pick him up.

Dawes has shown he's adequate as the second forward. Heck I reckon he can even play well as the first choice key forward even though I don't think he can mark to save himself.

Disagree with your first statement as I see him more as a 3rd or 4th forward. Strongly disagree with your second, His lack of marking ability makes him incapable of being a first choice forward..

Disagree with your first statement as I see him more as a 3rd or 4th forward. Strongly disagree with your second, His lack of marking ability makes him incapable of being a first choice forward..

He was a pretty good 2nd option at Collingwood before they put him in the ruck and had him battle on with injuries and being oversize.

You'd want to have a bunch of very good crumbers as well as medium sized guys and even a ruckman who can mark it to play Dawesy as the number 1. A Hawthorn style set up with guys like Gunston, Hale, Breust and Rioli close to goal to kick the goals. Then you'd fit Dawes at CHF with his preferred hard leading and good chasing, tackling and effort around the ball. He wouldn't be Roughy but he'd still be value to most teams even coming up against the best defenders. That's all for my point really. I wouldn't rely on him leading a team in to finals, but my point is you could still do a lot worse (see our early season form before Dawes came in).

Either way I'm not expecting Dawes to be a good player in terms of how he looks or his stats, but I'm hoping alongside Hogan he can be effective. That way if we draft him McCartin can enjoy developing at the right pace for an 18 year old key forward who's got a lot of work to do on his fitness as well as developing his game.

• Like 4

Im having trouble getting excited about McCartin

Admittedly thatrs just based off an average afl.com highlight reel, but he doesnt pass the eye test for mine and just looks average

Can anyone give any good reasons why we should be excited he might be coming to the MFC?

Im having trouble getting excited about McCartin

Admittedly thatrs just based off an average afl.com highlight reel, but he doesnt pass the eye test for mine and just looks average

Can anyone give any good reasons why we should be excited he might be coming to the MFC?

Mate...I don't know much about him either.....But I certainly wont judge him from a highlight reel....If the club decides to draft him....there must be a reason and I will back them 100%
  • Like 1

I think the biggest thing to keep yourself excited is that he was one of the top performing KPF's this year even though he had injuries and health issues.

From what I've read he excelled as an underage player last year. These injuries seem to be the reason he won't go number 1 but that could be a very good thing for us.

• Like 2

I just read this on afl.com.au and had visions of Neitz-McCabe

IT WAS in Geelong last year where Paddy McCartin showed the first real signs he would feature in the early parts of this year's NAB AFL Draft.
Playing for Vic Country as a bottom-ager, the competitive forward went in for a low ball and crunched the collarbone of Western Australia's captain Dom Sheed.

Although slightly dazed (he later found out he had a delayed concussion), McCartin played on and kicked five goals for his team in a breakout performance.