AFL involved in Port Adelaide/Essendon Draft Rort

deanox

Just when you thought you couldn't hate Essendon anymore....

I don't think I can hate them anymore than I already do.

Essendon represent a club run on self interest, that does not take responsibility for it's actions.

If they say dogs are just like their owners, I'd say clubs are like their coaches.

They're clearly desperate to do whatever it takes to keep the Ryder problem from escalating.

The problem is the flow on consequences. They are making so many decisions like this around Essendon at the moment that those consequences are slowly becoming bigger, and at some point soon the whole mess is going to explode.

Article says : "Port and Ryder are keen to make it happen, while Essendon can see the advantages."

Cleary it's driven by Port.

Yes, Essendon will have to play their part by terminating Ryders contract, but that hasn't happened yet, so all anger directed at Essendon is unwarranted I would have thought until it happens, if in fact it does.

Seriously, at this stage I would settle for picks 17 and 36 [what ever Ports first 2 picks are] for Ryder, but if this new scenario does play out, and we can get picks 17 and 21 instead, of course I would take it.

But it's a long way off happening.

Of course it's being co-driven by Essendon. They get a compensation pick FFS. I know you're a Bomber man, Ash, but pull the other one. If it weren't at least co-driven, the deal would have been done by now.

They're clearly desperate to do whatever it takes to keep the Ryder problem from escalating.

The problem is the flow on consequences. They are making so many decisions like this around Essendon at the moment that those consequences are slowly becoming bigger, and at some point soon the whole mess is going to explode.

I think the whole mess is exploding, AFL prepping for ASADAs big hit on monday, when more players join Paddy's rush for the door...

If the AFL approve this cancel contract and claim compo scheme, whats to stop them using it to milk system for every disenchanted player wanting to leave a club that injected them with banned substances? and for the EFC to do very well out of it...?

A slippery slope.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 1

Yes, quite spectacular that the only thing about it on the AFL website is a glowing propaganda piece about this "creative" idea. "Thinking outside the box" is the headline. Probably seemed a better headline than "Two finalists collude draft tampering because Essendon are stubborn [censored]."

How about a "creative idea"; injecting neatly a whole list with unknown substances. Surely there should be reward in that.

SO MELBOURNE oops use the rules and dont win games (although we were found not guilty of tanking). In the process we receive a PP.

We get fined $500k and have officials suspended because CC made a bad joke. And even though many other clubs did the same we suffer to this day in that we are effectively denied a PP this year because of 'tanking'.....

Yet, they would allow this draft tampering to happen???

Wow...

• Like 2

I hope the footy world goes nuts today!

Clubs were consulted and twice rejected our pp request. They may complain about our Frawley pick 3 but at least it was within the rules.

BUT THIS RORT: No club is consulted! A new rule was invented on a whim! Clubs should go nuts just on the lack of consultation!!!!

This is simply a backdoor way to get Essendon back into round 1 of the draft.

Just watch the pp's that Essendon get in the next few years! Oh a mess of their own making we say...unlike our treatment the AFL will ignore the hue and cry and give them pp's (unlike us).

This new rort is disgusting. Pity the poor kids that get drafted into this mess.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

SO MELBOURNE oops use the rules and dont win games (although we were found not guilty of tanking). In the process we receive a PP.

We get fined $500k and have officials suspended because CC made a bad joke. And even though many other clubs did the same we suffer to this day in that we are effectively denied a PP this year because of 'tanking'.....

Yet, they would allow this draft tampering to happen???

Wow...

If this goes ahead it will be the end of FA compo. Just as the priority pick was distorting behaviour as in tanking, now we have FA compo potentially distorting the behaviour of clubs and the AFL! Although the AFL has been distorted for years of course.

I think the whole mess is exploding, AFL prepping for ASADAs big hit on monday, when more players join Paddy's rush for the door...

If the AFL approve this cancel contract and claim compo scheme, whats to stop them using it to milk system for every disenchanted player wanting to leave a club that injected them with banned substances? and for the EFC to do very well out of it...?

A slippery slope.

Absolutely right. It is a complete and utter disaster.

There have been so many chances to shut down this mess from day 1. Each time they kick the can down the road with a decision like this, the problem gets bigger and the decisions that have to be made to contain the problems get messier.

The general bleating and indignation of MFC supporters about AFL "unfairness" in the week we received pick 3 for Frawley is so predictable. The only thing more predictable is that someone will seriously offer a package of Blease, Strauss and Tapscott in a trade deal.

• Like 1

The general bleating and indignation of MFC supporters about AFL "unfairness" in the week we received pick 3 for Frawley is so predictable. The only thing more predictable is that someone will seriously offer a package of Blease, Strauss and Tapscott in a trade deal.

Steady on Fifty-5, we got what the rules stipulated.

We also didn't for the 2nd year in a row get a PP despite the rules.

This if it happens, is a new rule, made out of time, on the run, to benefit a few and leading to chaos and at the least, draft tampering.

• Like 8

Jack Viney gets a crap call and suspension - a poll goes up on the AFL website.

Frawley looking to get us pick 3 as compo - a poll goes up n the AFL website.

AFL allowing two finalists to come up with a dodgy scenario to produce a better result for both teams at the draft, at the expense of the rest of the competition - WHERE'S THE POLL AFL? I'm sure it would be very lop-sided.

Pollgate.

Steady on Fifty-5, we got what the rules stipulated.

We also didn't for the 2nd year in a row get a PP despite the rules.

This if it happens, is a new rule, made out of time, on the run, to benefit a few and leading to chaos and at the least, draft tampering.

Yes, how anyone can equate the rules of compensation for Frawley being followed to Ess/Port altering the foundation of trading contracts is beyond me, 55.

We may be bleating, but it is with good reason, and that isn't diminished by our oh-so-great FA experiences of late...

• Like 4

That'd be good. Can you arrange for it to happen, if you can get down from your horse.

• Like 1

I don't have an issue with Patty and EFC voiding his contract, making him a FA and EFC receiving 1st round compensation. If he were out of contract he'd qualify for FA anyway.

My issue is the idea of topping up FA compo with a trade. It should either be FA or trade, otherwise the other 17 teams in the comp slide a pick to contribute to another team's trade.

A slippery slope.

By applying the FA rules that a player must have played at least 8 years with the club.

I agree that the pick 3 for Frawley was way over the top in terms of his worth but only when you consider it in isolation. We applied for special assistance for the second year in a row. Last year, one of the reasons we were knocked back was because of pressure from most of the other AFL clubs on the AFL Commission relating to the fact that we had been fined in relation to the "tanking" enquiry. We applied again. There was further unrest from the clubs and we were knocked back despite our record of 10 wins in three seasons which I believe would have been sufficient had the applicant not been tainted with the tanking brush as we were. So, for the fourth or fifth time we were punished by the AFL over the tanking issue.We deserved the Frawley compo at 3 and even better.

Along comes Essendon and without applying for special assistance, the AFL seems to be putting its imprimatur on a deal that, if nothing else, stinks of special assistance by stealth. It's nothing like the Dal Santo deal of last year because the proposal suggests that Port Adelaide gives Essendon its first round pick in addition to the compensation pick. That is what I call draft tampering and the AFL is being anything but transparent if it approves of such non-sense.

The scheme demonstrates an alarming decline in the level of integrity we are seeing from the AFL.

• Like 2

If we had lost Franklin, we would have got pick 3.

Does that make the system seem fairer?

The fact that lower clubs get better compensation makes it fairer, not less fair, this is utterly ridiculous to say that a player of Frawley's calibre means less to us than Frawley did to Hawthorn; both teams feel/felt they could cope without him and Hawthorn has 'coped' as well as any team can 'cope.'

Their flag in 2014 vindicates the compensation structure.

• Like 2

And I took you for a reasoned person...seriously

17 and 36...for Ryder,,,,,thats larceny

What ever it is theyre smoking up there on the hill you need to move away.

Have Essendon nexed the idea ? I dont know. They could come out and say such . Have they.

Ash.. I , despite much rhetoric, feel for the genuine club supporter, no matter what team they follow, especially when a club goes rogue as yours surely has.

Nothing your club has done /is doing is noble. Despicable comes to mind

You don't think Ryder is worth 17 and 36?

Can I ask what you think he is worth?

People seem to think because of this drug saga, we don't deserve to be treated fairly at the trade table.

It's not how it works.

You do realise that most AFL supporters outside the bubble that is Demonland think that pick 3 for Frawley is a joke.

Why reward Melbourne for incompetence at the draft, developing players, and just in general being a poor on-field club is what they are saying.

Pick 19 for Franklin they are saying,pick 15 or whatever for Ablett they are saying.

I know how the FA compensation works, so I understand why you ended up with pick 3.

Essendon had governance issues. Paddy Ryder wants to leave because of it.

Melbourne has had a very poorly run football department for many years, James Frawley wanted to leave because of it.

Essendon has been punished by the AFL for our governance issues.

The harshest penalties ever given to a club by the AFL.

It was deserved.

If people have issues with this current Ryder scenario, that's ok.

But don't pull out the whole "I hate Essendon, those scumbags deserve nothing for Ryder", because those people aren't looking at it properly.

If you want to be angry at anyone, be angry at the AFL for allowing it.

But I can assure you, they are doing whatever they can to make sure this case does not end up in court or any grievance tribunal.

I didn't return here to get caught up in debates about trades, Essendon drugs scandals and alike.

I know 95% of people on here hate my club, and you all must be loving the turmoil we are going through at the moment.

I can't defend what my club did.

Football has not been enjoyable for 2 years now.

Happy for people to hate us.

Call us drug cheats if you want.

But no one blames Melbourne for getting pick 3 for Frawley.

So why blame Essendon if we can get pick 21 extra for Ryder?

I'll just go away now and prepare for the abuse I cop for this post.