2014 Player Review - # 6 Chris Dawes

Demonland

After missing virtually the whole pre-season, Dawes opened his 2014 campaign in a blaze of glory in Melbourne's opening win for the year in Round 4. However, after a series of inspirational games in which he regularly played a lone hand up forward, his output gradually fell away, possibly due at least in part to his limited early preparation.

Games MFC 2014 18

Career Total 101

Goals MFC 2014 20

Career Total 115

Keith "Bluey" Truscott Memorial Trophy 113 votes

Planks for hands! If he didn't contest and chase and crash I wouldn't want him. He has serious ball catching problems. Also works verry hard leading but mostly to the wrong places. Love his determination leadership and fierceness.

• Like 1

Hes struggling for sure but he gives it a crack and is often doubled whilst trying to present some sort of fwd options.

Give him some playmates and he'll come good I suspect.

A massive disappointment. Does he want to be a wing / HBF, or does he want to be a full forward? So many times we take the ball in the middle of the ground and have nobody to kick to because Dawes is trotting back from the half back line. For a bloke of his size and strength he doesn't take nearly enough marks nor use his body well enough to bring teammates into play. Doesn't kick enough goals and doesn't get the ball in dangerous positions. There is no denying his workrate and his willingness to chase and tackle, but he didn't come close to justifying his pay packet this year.

Dawes has been doing a role. Its his instructions. He'll be getting help for 20 15

He was an average player in a good team now he is the same average player in a poor team.

When we improve next year he will still be the same average player but hopefully others will be carrying more of the load.

We are stuck with him for another two years at a high salary so he will play all games but don't expect game winning efforts.

IMO he will give good support without being wonderful.

• Like 1

Was recruited as a third tall support behind Clark and Hogan, and has instead become a sole true key forward.

It's not a role he's cut out for at all.

This one gets spun a lot but I don't see how it excuses dropping the simplest of marks again and again, or missing teammates that are 15 metres away. He needs to execute the basics a lot better.

Overall a big let down for mine. Outside of a few games, he ranged from average to very poor. For Pick 20 we could have Hrovat or Broomhead on our list.

He needs to find some consistency next season.

I see more upside in Fitzpatrick.

Here we go again.

Fitz plays two games, Dawes in his first few games back straightened us up immeasurably. I seem to recall you walking back your 'Fitz > Dawes' argument during the year...

When I see a bloke mark, or not mark, the way Dawes was toward the end of the season it tells me their confidence is down. I also agree with Chris that he is a role player and I think will be more important when Hogan is introduced to that forward line.

Here we go again.

Fitz plays two games, Dawes in his first few games back straightened us up immeasurably. I seem to recall you walking back your 'Fitz > Dawes' argument during the year...

When I see a bloke mark, or not mark, the way Dawes was toward the end of the season it tells me their confidence is down. I also agree with Chris that he is a role player and I think will be more important when Hogan is introduced to that forward line.

Dawes is a better player atm but Fitzy has more upside to be a better player.

Whats wrong with that argument?

Nothing is wrong, other than I think it is wrong...

Fitz is 24 midway through next season, if he is going to be better than Dawes, he better get his skates on...

I think they both have upside

Dawes was double or tripled teamed so many times and delivery was so poor that any Melbourne forward was always under too much pressure to really gauge their ability

I will be watching to see how Roos creates a more established forward structure, perhaps Hogan, Dawes, Howe, Fitzy, Gawn, rotating through key positions with a blend of runners and small sat their feet being fed better delivery from an improved attacking midfield with Watts delivery skills

Yes they all need to improve but I think they all can because I don't think they played to their potential last year

Get em on the track and get em used to some hard intense competition