Patrick Dangerfield

Demonsterative

It should be, they've got the absolute max out of the current list. I think they will miss Balme...having an experienced outsider that is not as emotionally invested is a good thing. Some of the decisions they are making now may well come back to bite them.

Taylor turns 29 this year and their other great defenders are all in their 30's. They have some good kids coming through but mainly mids in Duncan and Guthrie along with Caddy. Selwood is still young but they are now losing or about to lose more than they can replace. Champions are hard to replace and eventually it catches up.

By the way, the Saints really took the wrong turn. Very poor list management by them compounded by the Lyon fiasco.

You make a good point about Balme but the Cats have had their off field sorted for some years now and should be alright, he was replaced by Steve Hocking who has been working at the club since 2004 in a number of roles but most of all was there before and during the Cats climb to the top so will be well aware of what's required. Can he emulate Balmey? Time will tell.

From reading your previous posts I'm assuming your reference to "decisions coming back to bite them" was made with regards to Clark and Stanley. On face value the Clark trade was always going to have a risk element(the reasons have been done to death by everybody) but if Clark can get his body right it will be a huge win for the cats. If not well they have lost Varcoe who can be a damaging outside player but can be replaced(they drafted Cockatoo Collins who they hope can provide that, maybe not right away but does have the X factor). Can't remember who they traded to land Stanley but he's only 24 and could come good yet.

Taylor is turning 29 but is still the no.1 defender in the comp, from memory hasn't had any major injuries and has 2-3 years left in him. They have identified the need for more key defenders as they made a play for Frawley and failed but will no doubt try again. Not sure about their young key position stocks. Could they find the next Sam Frost?

They currently have a gun key forward in Hawkins and one of the top 4-5 mids in the comp in Selwood. They have some quality young mids coming through and will do again what they did before and that is turn mids into back and forward flankers so they have elite users of the ball all over the ground, something we seem to be heading towards. Yes Bartell, Stevie J, Kelly, Lonergan and Enright are getting on but the key is how they manage their retirements(all will be phased out over the next 2-3 years but not all at once) and where they play them until they retire. You could sit Bartlell in a forward pocket and Johnson on a flank and sit back as they continue to clean up, whilst the next generation of Cats take the next step. Geelong is one of the few clubs that has had the balls to tell the likes of Chapman it's time to move on. These decisions have all been the right ones. There is no guarantee the next batch will unearth a Stevie J or Bartell but one thing you can be sure of is that they will all play hard contested footy, they will walk off the ground filthy with themselves after every loss and its for those reasons they will win more games than they loose. There is no need for a Saints style rebuild.

Edited by Al's Demons

They have been masters in the past but some of the discussions made in this trade period reeks of desperation from Chris Scott trying everything to keep his job which may eventually lead to the down fall of the club.

A main figure of there success in list management like Neil doesn't just pick up and leave unless he can see bad moves happening which could lead to a lot of sackings in the near future.

A very ageing list of past champions can only be take you so far untill there body won't let them play anymore and unless Geelong have a hole team of champions waiting to replace them they will fall down the ladder eventually.

The thought of one or both of the Scott brothers getting the sarse ignites me no end.

You make a good point about Balme but the Cats have had their off field sorted for some years now and should be alright, he was replaced by Steve Hocking who has been working at the club since 2004 in a number of roles but most of all was there before and during the Cats climb to the top so will be well aware of what's required. Can he emulate Balmey? Time will tell.

There is no need for a Saints style rebuild.

We will wait and see how Hocking and the Cats go.

There is no need for anyone to do a Saints style rebuild, that's a recipe for disaster and we should know.

• Like 2

A main figure of there success in list management like Neil doesn't just pick up and leave unless he can see bad moves happening which could lead to a lot of sackings in the near future.

I think you will find he left for simple reasons, more money and less travel, with Lexus Centre closer to his home. Eddie was pretty desperate to have a big appointment for the Pies and would have offered him much more than he got at the Cats and a longer contract as well.

Saints fell into a hole because of Ross Lyon. Just as Fremantle will fall into a hole in 2 years once they lose their senior blokes.

I think it's a bit to easy to just blame Lyon. Some of the decisions made after he left have really done their cause no good at all.

We will wait and see how Hocking and the Cats go.

There is no need for anyone to do a Saints style rebuild, that's a recipe for disaster and we should know.

The cats were starting to slip, in my opinion, and there's not many better to have in charge than Hock.

I think the cats might suffer a lull but will remain a strong finals contender for a long time with him there.

The cats were starting to slip, in my opinion, and there's not many better to have in charge than Hock.

I think the cats might suffer a lull but will remain a strong finals contender for a long time with him there.

He's certainly got a good background, it's going to be interesting to watch them over the next few years.

I'm not so certain about them being a strong finals contender though, in fact I doubt it but time will tell.

I'd be stunned if PD wasn't at the Cats next year. We need a big year to attract a guy like Dangerfield. Still have a smidgen of hope.

The only circumstance I would entertain in which the club would shell out huge coin for PD would be if we were a top 4 team at seasons end, with every chance of challenging for a flag in the ensuing years. It'll be pretty unlikely but stranger things have happened.

The only circumstance I would entertain in which the club would shell out huge coin for PD would be if we were a top 4 team at seasons end, with every chance of challenging for a flag in the ensuing years. It'll be pretty unlikely but stranger things have happened.

I cannot remember anything as strange as that McQueen

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

I cannot remember anything as strange as that McQueen

What about the last time you said something positive?

That'd be right up there. ;)

• Like 2

Are you hearing this, or are you hoping this?

Nah just me looking for 'signs' I wish I could confirm, what a difference he would make. I just had a feeling we were so close to getting him over the line for this year. I could be way off the mark, but I had gut feeling. But now a lot can happen this year. Cats pushing up his market value?

Goodwin might be the key to this, if Dangermouse remains unsigned.

Has any other club got more cap space than we do?

And would they be willing to spend as much on a midfielder as we are willing to pay for Danger?

Is there a bigger personnel drawcard for him at a rival club than Goodwin and Vince?

These questions have me optimistic about how things will play out this year, it's a long shot but the MFC is certainly a chance.

• Like 1

Has any other club got more cap space than we do?

And would they be willing to spend as much on a midfielder as we are willing to pay for Danger?

Is there a bigger personnel drawcard for him at a rival club than Goodwin and Vince?

These questions have me optimistic about how things will play out this year, it's a long shot but the MFC is certainly a chance.

That's a good question and one that Joel Selwood has shed some light on in and article today. He alludes to the premise that Geelong footy club will not pay out big bucks to a star like PD but as part of a high performing team, shall adjust contracts and payments according to the clubs postion in the competition. It's logical, but hardly the way FA is working.

The question is; will the Dee's be the equal of Geelong by the end of 2015? Will there be enough attraction for PD to return to Vic for a premiership tilt with ......?

Edited by McQueen

That's a good question and one that Joel Selwood has shed some light on in and article today. He alludes to the premise that Geelong footy club will not pay out big bucks to a star like PD but as part of a high performing team, shall adjust contracts and payments according to the clubs postion in the competition. It's logical, but hardly the way FA is working.

The question is; will the Dee's be the equal of Geelong by the end of 2015? Will there be enough attraction for PD to return to Vic for a premiership tilt with ......?

Expect the Hawks to be in the deal,big time, they will do anything to extend their reign at the top I think.

• Like 2