Melbourne , a team waiting to be beaten - Paul Roos

beelzebub

After another deplorable display Roos comes to the conclusion some really may not be up for it. Next 4 weeks are their determination.

Listen to Roos's pm presser. Im sure hes already got many cards marked....just waiting for EOS really

Hes all but agreeing with many of us...the cattle isnt up to it. He can't understand why some play how they do.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2014-08-03/rd-19-paul-roos-media-conference

Big clear out coming

Edited by beelzebub
  • Like 3

After another deplorable display Roos comes to the conclusion some really may not be up for it. Next 4 weeks are their determination.

Listen to Roos's pm presser. Im sure hes already got many cards marked....just waiting for EOS really

Hes all but agreeing with many of us...the cattle isnt up to it. He can't understand why some play how they do.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2014-08-03/rd-19-paul-roos-media-conference

Big clear out coming

The hope I have this time is that it isn't bluster this time around about how we are being ruthless and nothing of note happens. The last time a clean out of the list happened it was just a case of long term club servants getting the arse.The category this time around for trades and delistings needs to be whether you actually want to win.

Previously 'untouchable' names need to be put under serious scrutiny. That includes one Jack Watts and one Jack Grimes (yes, I know he wasn't playing yesterday). The big bunch of NQRs we have need to be looked at as well (Terlich, Strauss, Nicholson, Blease, Tapscott).

I think Roos is just aghast, seriously gob smacked at the mind set of some players. Many of them guys he thought might come on but just continue to be nqr's.

When a coach comes out with.. "Ive never seen anything like that before" I reckon hes run out of patience with quite a few.

That he STATES ( not just thinks ) that some may be irreversibly scarred from too many years of failure ( though much of that is of their own making mind you ) then you know he's explored many avenues and is now stating the bleeding obvious. We have a team with few locomotives and many passengers....and its going nowhere.

Flinders St .....all change !! ( well... quite a few )

• Like 1

Some 'commendable' close losses - if that's possible - over the journey thus far. But after yesterday, I really could not find one positive. Yet again, we have become the AFL whipping boys, the butt of jokes from opposition supporters and the rest are from the just don't care faction.

As is well documented on here, we are paying now for a decade of the false belief that first round draft picks would cure all our ills, without ever considering the basic requirement of any footy club that development from within is just as important. Unlike many that have be in and around this footy club over the last 10 years, Paul Roos is a proud man, and as such, won't stand idly by and let the malaise continue. That is my lifeline in this appalling phase of our history. As laid back as Roos persona may appear to be from the outside, I get the feeling that after yesterday, he will take no prisoners in the off season. Long overdue in my view, but he is the man to do it.

I would rather get belted, but see the potential of a few kids running around, than the cohort of hacks we have at present. Time to give the kids a taste.

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 2

I can almost forgive the WCE game because it was so early in the piece.

Yesterday was as inept a performance as I can remember. To get to so many contests - to get on hands on the ball as often as we did and to slaughter it/butcher it/ kill/ hack it as we did yesterday was soul destroying.

• Like 3

I really thought it an amazingly candid statement.

MELBOURNE...A TEAM WAITING TO BE BEATEN !!

I mean how self affacing as an accomplished premiership coach to humbly acknowledge your team isnt up for it.

He cant let THAT sit . He must now realise no half measures can or are available. Drastic changes. Wholesale restocking is now the order of the day...and NO ONE gets a free pass.

• Like 1

But he's not a psychologist. How could he know for sure? Better give our guys another couple of years to prove themselves.

Do you watch "The Recruit" on Foxtel?

It's amazing how much weight on the decisions relies on the psychologist.

The guys with average to good scores when it comes to fitness, drills etc are among the best players on game day. Ie Johan Wagner, he'll be a gun if he gets a chance at AFL.

Need to get back to basics and recruit hard at it footballers. Not athletes who could become footballers based on running stats and ability at other sports

• Like 2

By his own words, when he first came in they just needed a cuddle. Some of what he said yesterday made me think that cuddle time is certainly now over. Notably it was said without the psycho glare that his predecessor had. Just a pragmatic tone.

He'll make the right calls on who is and isn't up to it. It will be interesting to see what other clubs take a punt this time around. If Roos can't get something out of them, what opposition coach would fancy themselves to be any different?

I think next year roosy will be tougher. No longer will some of the players be able to fall back to the mental scarring excuse. They have had one season under Paul so get there minds right. Another pre season will help and im sure next year roosy will not tolerate the basic mistakes.

• Like 2

By his own words, when he first came in they just needed a cuddle. Some of what he said yesterday made me think that cuddle time is certainly now over. Notably it was said without the psycho glare that his predecessor had. Just a pragmatic tone.

He'll make the right calls on who is and isn't up to it. It will be interesting to see what other clubs take a punt this time around. If Roos can't get something out of them, what opposition coach would fancy themselves to be any different?

This was definitely the case with a number of players but I think Roosy has realised that there are even more who are well and truly beyond saving.

• Like 3

By his own words, when he first came in they just needed a cuddle. Some of what he said yesterday made me think that cuddle time is certainly now over.

I guess in the end if he doesn't end cuddle time,he will end up alienating blokes like Jack Viney, Nate Jones, Chris Dawes and Daniel Cross. I think he genuinely cares for his team but it would frustrate the hell out of that cohort to see that a lot of the mental fragility that many in this team have being pandered to. Not that PR has done that necessarily but he did try to extend a welcoming arm to them.

In the end, I hope PR just lets those know, that in the end, it's nothing personal. Whose fault it is that they were scarred, underdeveloped, beaten down or whatever now doesn't matter. The club has to move forward, pure and simple. These blokes as well would probably benefit by being somewhere else anyway (look at Stef Martin).

If you look at the season as a whole the improvement is obvious, but some of the lapses are amazing still, the skills are well below average on the best of days and the inability to score multiple goals at a time, or score altogether is hurting us

Hogan will help the scoring side of things

needs to be some seriously brave trading decisions made at the end of the year

2015 needs to feel like a whole new team

Poor guy seems as frustrated as the rest of us

There will clearly be a large broom wielded this offseason, including maybe a few surprises

Those who can't kick or handball, watch out!

• Like 2

Roos looked absolutely filthy at his press conference.

I reckon he gave the boys a huge spray. So he should! They were locked in the meeting for a while aswell.

I'd like to think Roosy made them re-enact the Merrett/Pedersen hit, using McKenzie as Merrett and showing the players what they really should have done.

That was the most pathetic thing I'd seen on a footy field in a long time.

Edit: Funnily enough it was the 'uninterested' Frawley who remonstrated the most with Merrett.

Edited by Django
  • Like 2

He did manage to crack a half smile when talking about the mistakes. Seeing the absurdity of it all. He is being Melbournised.

I seriously hope not. The lunatics cannot take over the asylum again and make someone adopt their values. You can't be a Neeld type who never bends but Roos needs to stay true to his own personal goals. I hope it's a defense mechanism designed to stop him from having a Neeldesque meltdown at post game press conferences.

He did manage to crack a half smile when talking about the mistakes. Seeing the absurdity of it all. He is being Melbournised.

"Melbournised" makes it seem half-okay.

He's being "Melbourned". I prefer that word.

Bernie Vince is now officially "Melbourned". Did he butcher the ball like that at Adelaide? One of our worst offenders in the second-half of the year.

Poor guy seems as frustrated as the rest of us

There will clearly be a large broom wielded this offseason, including maybe a few surprises

Those who can't kick or handball, watch out!

There is one big difference he has been here less than a year

We have all had eight years

• Like 1

"Melbournised" makes it seem half-okay.

He's being "Melbourned". I prefer that word.

Bernie Vince is now officially "Melbourned". Did he butcher the ball like that at Adelaide? One of our worst offenders in the second-half of the year.

I'm choosing to ignore Bernie's last few weeks and pretend they didn't happen.