Post Match Discussion - Round 17

Demonland

Bye James, it was nice thinking you may have stayed half way through the season but after the past couple of proforments I don't blame you for leaving.

Yes James take a walk mate....relationship over.

Your not worth the dollars to this club.

Blease probably deserves a run now

If they're giving Tapscott a go, then yes.

Yeah if we get it wrong we're cooked. Mainly because we have created this environment where we will excuse the players and blame something else in pretty much every instance. Whilst I believe a coach is the most important person at an AFL club, the strongest clubs also have a non negotiable buy in from their players. You often see them have bad periods during quarters but they then step up their intensity and fight to get some ascendancy back. I can hardly recall a time where one of our many shocking quarters have ever been arrested by the players themselves through sheer will power. It seems like Roos has managed to turn the wheel a little during quarter breaks which has been a god send. I am just ranting now but I cannot believe that some of these blokes don't feel embarrassed when their opponents toy with them the way they do. It makes my blood boil in the stands yet there seems to be no response to it on the ground.

Disagree with this. I feel like there were even patches in today's ordinary effort, where we regained some ascendancy and settled into the game.

Well worth a look at Roos post game press conference. Main message was that the pre-season will be huge. Doesn't sugar coat anything and you feel he's right on top of it. It's obvious though that he needs to commit to the third year. Just another 12 months will be useless.

• Like 2

theres an article on the afl site about Joel Selwood taking to Jack Viney on field after the game

Was he telling him to keep his chin up or were they having a heated exchange? The article doesnt give much way. Someone said Viney and Mackie were going at it after the siren so maybe related to that

Don't want to be a Watts basher.... But as Leigh Matthews said he shows no appetite for the contest...

He doesnt ....never really has.... Starting to think he never will

Just doesnt seem to be in his makeup.

Has everything a gun player needs....except......... a desire for man on man contested ball

I so want him to step up......but there comes a time...and I think its quickly slipped away.

• Like 2

Why oh why did they re-sign Jake Spencer???

It is a crazy decision. Of all the things our list lacks, a ruckman is not one (a competent ruckman however...) You'd assume it means they're looking to get rid of one of Gawn or Fitzy but considering they're contracted and Spencer hasn't shown much to date they could've rookied him at least.

I recorded the game on foxtel, the fast forward button got a great workout. Have no interest in the rest of the season. What a boring game AFL has become.

I use to defend the game however really can't anymore.

I can't wait for NFL season to start.

• Like 2

theres an article on the afl site about Joel Selwood taking to Jack Viney on field after the game

Was he telling him to keep his chin up or were they having a heated exchange? The article doesnt give much way. Someone said Viney and Mackie were going at it after the siren so maybe related to that

They were having a chat about the game nothing sinister. I got the feeling that Viney earned a fair bit of respect from the Geelong boys today, even Stevie J ruffled his hair as he walked past and shook his hand.

• Like 1

Roos hit the nail on the head when talking about a lack of team offense and players stopping to have a rest once the ball was in our hands

Team offense just seems a foreign concept as it has for several years. It seems to be all about getting the ball out of congestion to a free man and then hitting the pause button while the sod with the ball in his hands looks up and sees a bunch of players standing still. He then eventually kicks it to an outnumbered contest and the ball quickly comes back the other way.

• Like 4

Roos hit the nail on the head when talking about a lack of team offense and players stopping to have a rest once the ball was in our hands

Team offense just seems a foreign concept as it has for several years. It seems to be all about getting the ball out of congestion to a free man and then hitting the pause button while the sod with the ball in his hands looks up and sees a bunch of players standing still. He then eventually kicks it to an outnumbered contest and the ball quickly comes back the other way.

dunno.... I found them very offensive....to my sensibility !!

• Like 1

I moved to the country 2 .5 years ago and have barely been to the footy since. I occasionally watch a game and have only been to the North game this year. I no longer sign up as a member and just received by MCC renewal and doubt I'll be taking that up any more. The AFL is a greedy corporate entity and the game is unwatchable at times. I have little interest with games involving Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Fremantle and Brisbane. I have absolutely no interest in games involving the suns or gws.That leaves me with about 8 games a year I enjoy or should enjoy watching. The game is too different for me to really enjoy anymore. My once beloved Demons who I've supported since 1970 have been beyond poor for too long now. I really don't care anymore. I've got too many better things to do. Roos will leave in a couple of years and we'll maybe play a few finals but can anyone really see any player on our list playing in a winning Grand Final for this club. I can't and I can't be bothered!

I doubt I'll be going to many games for the rest of the year, maybe the Lions and/or GWS game but only out of some misguided belief that my turning up will actually imoact the pathetic crowd figures they'll get. I don't mind watching good clubs be they from interstate or Vic but unfortunately there are just too many teams in the comp and not enough talent to go around. 14 is the maximum number of teams there should be, 12 is ideal. That's anywhere from 160-240 players that wouldn't be playing if that were the case.

The AFL is also over-exposed, there's just too many games spread out over the weekend so it takes up the entire weekend from 7pm Friday to 7pm Sunday (and sometimes 10pm Sunday or Monday). There are too many footy panel shows as well all rehashing the same inoffensive rubbish without actually taking on the AFL. I enjoy the game more when I ignore the media during the week but it's still got a lot of problems at the moment and they all originate from AFL House and they're selling the game out for executive bonuses.

People will say they tried...

I saw no pride in most of those players performances.

No motivation to take a mark in the wet or nail a kick in favour of a team mate.

I get so depressed with this team.

Is there a clinical diagnosis for collective depression? Because I think our team suffers it. Get in a team of psychs from Vienna to study this team for a phD.

I went to USA v Canada ice hockey last night, I now have a favourite sport.

no..you just like synthesizers....please tell me they did the whole cheesy music thing !!! :):rolleyes:

Is there a clinical diagnosis for collective depression? Because I think our team suffers it. Get in a team of psychs from Vienna to study this team for a phD.

Collective depression is normally found to be prevalent in ghettos etc. Perhaps, in our case, this is Casey...( ducking for cover )

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_depression

• Like 1

I'm a sucker for a good synthesiser, you can never have enough. They didn't! I was actually looking forward to the cheesiness but it was quite tame.

really....ripped offf. Thats half the fun of Hockey...that and the grannies that want to bash you up etc..lol

Maybe that was just Montreal though ...hmmmm

• Like 1

Folks, it's quite simply talent and conditioning.

We don't have the talent (partly the clubs fault and partly the AFL's fault for giving GWS and GC every good player for 3 years), and what we do have that will be good isn't conditioned for a season of hard work. Tyson looks tired, Salem, and JKH tired, etc. For those of you asking for 10 delisting you need to think about where the talent is coming from to replace them. The addition of 2 new teams has simply meant that 44 players that weren't AFL quality 4 years ago are getting a game. I reckon we've got at least 7-8 of them.

The talent thing is a genuine concern. We'll lose another player at the end of the year to free agency that would be in our top 5. The top clubs keep topping up with the bottom clubs best available. That's a disaster for the league long term. It's the EPL nightmare.

Roos is a great coach, but we just don't have the players. The AFL erred by not giving us a priority pick last year, and now because of St Kilda and Brisbane they can't give us one.

I don't wonder why crowds are down. I went today and watched 2 teams that simply shouldn't be in the same competition.

• Like 1