Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 17

Demonland

this will be another smashing from these smug pr1cks, with that boofheaded [censored] 'Stevie J' doing as he pleases again. It will be cold and wet and we will be awful and I'm furious about it already.

Not a glass half full kinda guy? But i agree we could get smashed if they really come to play as i feel like we're hitting the wall a bit.

That said if they are a little off and we are really on, an a day that might be a slog (remembering they had a slog last week and only beat bullies by 13 points at home) we might cause an upset. So much better this year, even though we have only won 4 games i go thinking a win is some chance rather than last year we're avoiding a thrashing was the best you could hope for

He's a stinker of a bloke off the field too

This a subject that I have no care about C and B

I could not care less about the quality of our players off or on field.

All I ask of them is to play very well and win us games.

He does that in spades and beyond that I don,t care.

• Like 1

Not a glass half full kinda guy? But i agree we could get smashed if they really come to play as i feel like we're hitting the wall a bit.

That said if they are a little off and we are really on, an a day that might be a slog (remembering they had a slog last week and only beat bullies by 13 points at home) we might cause an upset. So much better this year, even though we have only won 4 games i go thinking a win is some chance rather than last year we're avoiding a thrashing was the best you could hope for

You are completely delusional. But I am completely delusional too. For some mysterious reason I never go to the football with the thought " we are going to get trounced". I always have this belief - we will be 10% more switched on, they will be 10% switched off, they will take us too lightly, they will have 2 late withdrawals and 2 injuries in the first quarter and Watts will have a breakout game and kick 8.

Binman, you are delusional - welcome to my world.

• Like 1

Interesting comments from Roos:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/roos-wants-no-afl-drop-off-from-demons-20140711-3bqzx.html

But he made it clear there would be no excuses for a lack of effort from the club's stalwarts.

"You learn a lot about players when perhaps there's not too much at stake - publicly," Roos said.

"For some of them you can shape your career in a pretty short space of time."

And when it comes to games against powerhouses likes Geelong, Roos agreed it was his older players that would come under the microscope.

"You want them to dig in a bit. You're looking at them a bit more closely," he said.

"We need to see who's going to stand up. Who does and doesn't make mistakes under pressure.

"Younger players you're probably expecting them to struggle a bit more against the better teams."

Did anyone else notice that Grimes was named on the wing to accomodate Frawley going back and Jetta slotting in as well? So who is Roos referring to here?

While Grimes isn't about to be delisted, the blowtorch is still on here. Who else? You'd have to certainly say Terlich, Garland and to a certain extent Mckenzie, Watts and Bail.

Regardless of the result, this game has given me a renewed point of interest.

He's a stinker of a bloke off the field too

Spent time around the ocean and rocks with him,seemed all right to me.

Dees by 17 points.

Edited by jazza

Interesting comments from Roos:

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/roos-wants-no-afl-drop-off-from-demons-20140711-3bqzx.html

But he made it clear there would be no excuses for a lack of effort from the club's stalwarts.

"You learn a lot about players when perhaps there's not too much at stake - publicly," Roos said.

"For some of them you can shape your career in a pretty short space of time."

And when it comes to games against powerhouses likes Geelong, Roos agreed it was his older players that would come under the microscope.

"You want them to dig in a bit. You're looking at them a bit more closely," he said.

"We need to see who's going to stand up. Who does and doesn't make mistakes under pressure.

"Younger players you're probably expecting them to struggle a bit more against the better teams."

Did anyone else notice that Grimes was named on the wing to accomodate Frawley going back and Jetta slotting in as well? So who is Roos referring to here?

While Grimes isn't about to be delisted, the blowtorch is still on here. Who else? You'd have to certainly say Terlich, Garland and to a certain extent Mckenzie, Watts and Bail.

Regardless of the result, this game has given me a renewed point of interest.

Grimes has been named on the wing, to probably have first crack at Stevie J, McKenzie will probably go with Selwood

Do you think that Roos' is saying something new?

Did anyone else notice that Grimes was named on the wing to accomodate Frawley going back and Jetta slotting in as well?

I don't think anyone pays the slightest bit of attention to where players are named.

• Like 2

What do people think about giving a Nate Jones a try up forward in the pocket as a crumber?

We are struggling to get enough inside 50's as it is - not only would he starve from the lack if inside 50's, he would doubly starve as you have deprived the team of one of its main inside 50's drivers.

I do note that Jonesy has had a "rest" during some games this year on the half forward line but his main value will always be as an onballer.

I don't think anyone pays the slightest bit of attention to where players are named.

I thought someone would say this, but in this case with Jetta back and Frawley being called back (and publicly stated so) it seems that Grimes will move to the wing.

Saty, fair point on Stevie, that makes sense. New by Roos? Not really, but he has gone public the day before the game on this one and players are running out of chances to make an impression. So the pressure higher.

I think Roos is more about match-ups than positions. Assign each player a task or a role. We have seen Grimes in a few different roles this year including run with.

We have also seen Dunn forward and I wonder at any stage if Howe will be thrown forward again.

Grimes may well play wing depending on who Geelong play there.

The days of teams lining up on the ground as selected in the paper are well and truly gone. (Best example of this is Tyson is named as rover or ruck rover every week and every week he starts on the bench for the first bounce - he rotates on after 5 minutes.)

Wet weather = Bartel gets 3 Brownlow votes.

But can we stop the other 21 Geelong players? Doubtful, even though the Geelong of this year is not as good as the last seven years. Nevertheless, I've always seen 2014 as a transformative year as the coach works out who plays where and who plays at all. This year is not about winning (as much as that would be enjoyable), it's about learning who's going to be in the team that does win more games than it loses some time in the (hopefully near) future.

I think its clear we have gone for hard bodies against a physically strong geelong side. (no mark Thompson peptide jokes...)

We have been belted for years and I think Roos' words show that he is now looking at what senior bigger bodied players have got. If they can't match it then there days are numbered.

Its not a day or a game for light bodied rookies....

• Like 1

You are completely delusional. But I am completely delusional too. For some mysterious reason I never go to the football with the thought " we are going to get trounced". I always have this belief - we will be 10% more switched on, they will be 10% switched off, they will take us too lightly, they will have 2 late withdrawals and 2 injuries in the first quarter and Watts will have a breakout game and kick 8.

Binman, you are delusional - welcome to my world.

the key is to be consistently delusional.
  • Like 1

Bartel has been in good form imo I'd probably send Jordie to him and let viney go head to head with sekwood as a learning experience

James Kelly's snoozing antics?

That's one arrogant [censored] I'd like to see have his teeth rattled...JV, you listening? Line him up, son.

I have never forgot seeing that, made my blood boil at the time and live for the day when we rub his face in it

• Like 1

this will be another smashing from these smug pr1cks, with that boofheaded [censored] 'Stevie J' doing as he pleases again. It will be cold and wet and we will be awful and I'm furious about it already.

Post of the year....I feel the same way.

Kelly, Johnson, et al, all give me the runs.