Open Mike. David Neitz

Yet to watch it but for those interested without foxtel, added on youtube by someone-

thanks

• Like 1

I'm probably out of touch but if knocking kids deliberately about the head is what it takes to win a flag I'll pass. If it happened to my son I'd want blood.

People keep banging on about Michael Longs bump - the bump was no worse than lots of others we saw during those times that left players concussed. He got his right whack for going in on a player with the head down and concussing him. This is something that the AFL has been (confusingly) trying to eradicate from our game. A very young Brad Green was grappling with Wallis and Wallis punched him in the throat ( he didn't blind side him or hit him whilst he wasn't watching). You still see punches thrown today - this hasnt been eradicated from our game.

I do not condone violence and do not condone Essendons actions - but this was not the first grand final with physicality and wont be the last. Essendon intimidated us the whole day and we werent strong enough to combat it - two incidents whilst significant - didn't cost us that grand final.

As to your son - I'd agree - you would want blood. But depersonalise it. We are still seeing players bumping high even with the utmost scrutiny on it. And you only have to look at Mitch Robinsons left hook on Sunday night that could have landed anywhere to know that these thing happens on the footy field.

We have people on here calling Essendon thugs - they didnt win that Grand Final because they were thugs - they won because they were bigger better and stronger than us.

Edited by nutbean
  • Like 1

People keep banging on about Michael Longs bump - the bump was no worse than lots of others we saw during those times that left players concussed. He got his right whack for going in on a player with the head down and concussing him. This is something that the AFL has been (confusingly) trying to eradicate from our game. A very young Brad Green was grappling with Wallis and Wallis punched him in the throat ( he didn't blind side him or hit him whilst he wasn't watching). You still see punches thrown today - this hasnt been eradicated from our game.

I do not condone violence and do not condone Essendons actions - but this was not the first grand final with physicality and wont be the last. Essendon intimidated us the whole day and we werent strong enough to combat it - two incidents whilst significant - didn't cost us that grand final.

As to your son - I'd agree - you would want blood. But depersonalise it. We are still seeing players bumping high even with the utmost scrutiny on it. And you only have to look at Mitch Robinsons left hook on Sunday night that could have landed anywhere to know that these thing happens on the footy field.

We have people on here calling Essendon thugs - they didnt win that Grand Final because they were thugs - they won become they were bigger better and stronger than us.

Agree they were by far the better side - can't argue with that but I think there was a deliberate policy to target the heads of the younger players that day and they weren't accidental bumps. I've been involved with nasty long term consequences of concussions over the years and can accept accidental episodes but not targeted thuggery.

Agree they were by far the better side - can't argue with that but I think there was a deliberate policy to target the heads of the younger players that day and they weren't accidental bumps. I've been involved with nasty long term consequences of concussions over the years and can accept accidental episodes but not targeted thuggery.

Chook - this is what I am talking about - revisionism of Dees supporters about that day

Two horrible incidents - one was a bump that could have had catastrophic repercussions.

The Wallis punch was two blokes grappling and he threw a punch(es) against a much smaller, lighter and less experienced opponent with unfortunate consequences.

There was plenty of push and shove and lots of aggression but hardly a "deliberate policy of targeting the heads of younger players" and "targeted thuggery". If you suggest that they set out to intimidate a much lighter, younger and less experienced opponent - I will agree with you. Policy of targeting the head ? Hardly.

It is interesting when they bring up in the week leading up to the grand final the "tough grand finals" they bring up the Collingwood vs Essendon game (1990) and the Hawks v Cats (1989) - 2000 doesn't even get a look in.

edit - if you can bear to - watch the game again. The passage of years will make you change your opinion.

Edited by nutbean

We have people on here calling Essendon thugs - they didnt win that Grand Final because they were thugs - they won because they were bigger better and stronger than us.

Agree they were the far better side. Best team that year and on the day.

The only thing that gets to me about that game is that we were weak in responding. I know in our current politically correct football environment (which I basically agree with by the way) this wouldn't be tolerated but we needed someone in there throwing a few back and not just lame pushing and shoving. Someone really needed to stand up and no one did.

• Like 1

Agree they were the far better side. Best team that year and on the day.

The only thing that gets to me about that game is that we were weak in responding. I know in our current politically correct football environment (which I basically agree with by the way) this wouldn't be tolerated but we needed someone in there throwing a few back and not just lame pushing and shoving. Someone really needed to stand up and no one did.

Absolutely spot on - we did surrender meekly - The Ox was the only one to really fly the flag that day in terms of trying to match the levels of hardness.

Absolutely spot on - we did surrender meekly - The Ox was the only one to really fly the flag that day in terms of trying to match the levels of hardness.

I was disappointed by the Ox and that memory still lingers. He did come in but still allowed himself to be pushed around, he just seemed like a big bear being taunted by his handlers. Sounds stupid I know but I really wish he had of landed a few that day. I wouldn't have minded a 1990 style all in to be truthful.

glad to get a reminder of 2000 grand final

Will make it all the more sweeter to dance on Essendons grave when ASADA destroy them

Ill bet they were on drugs in 2000 as well the dirty cheats

Great interview and good to see some footage of brighter times and reminisce about players past. I really enjoyed watching Melbourne playing the mid-late 90s and early 2000's. Even though we didn't win the ultimate prize back then, we haven't had magic like that for a long time. Remembering The Ox in his prime, he was an incredible player cut down by injury. Little Wizard Jeff Farmer was just great to watch as well with the speccies and goals. And big Neita charging out of the square and banging through bags of goals from 50 out. I long for the day where we have supremely talented players who can win us games off their own boot, it's just been so many years now it's rather depressing.

• Like 4

What's this creative fiction about Melbourne being expected to win round three 2008 at Geelong? We were expected to lose by 100 points again, after being beaten by 100 points in round one (Hawthorn) and nearly 100 points in round two (Bulldogs)? There was even talk that we had played okay after only losing to Geelong by 30-odd points.

Weird.

Chook - this is what I am talking about - revisionism of Dees supporters about that day

Two horrible incidents - one was a bump that could have had catastrophic repercussions.

The Wallis punch was two blokes grappling and he threw a punch(es) against a much smaller, lighter and less experienced opponent with unfortunate consequences.

There was plenty of push and shove and lots of aggression but hardly a "deliberate policy of targeting the heads of younger players" and "targeted thuggery". If you suggest that they set out to intimidate a much lighter, younger and less experienced opponent - I will agree with you. Policy of targeting the head ? Hardly.

It is interesting when they bring up in the week leading up to the grand final the "tough grand finals" they bring up the Collingwood vs Essendon game (1990) and the Hawks v Cats (1989) - 2000 doesn't even get a look in.

edit - if you can bear to - watch the game again. The passage of years will make you change your opinion.

There was one way to get them to stop it and we chose not to take it. Hawthorn did take that option in 2004. They got pumped that day but I can guarantee you that Essendon never tried to play funny buggers with them EVER again.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

Neitz, Yze, Mcdonald , Davey , Robertson, Rigoni etc..

Those were the good days.

Throw Daniher into that mix as well. I still miss the Reverend from time to time, outside of the ups and downs he was terrific for the playing group. He left at the right time but he was fantastic.

For anyone interested SIJ BF (search his videos) on you tube uploads most Fox Footy stuff in excellent format, it's how I watch it all over here. Its funny but as much as MR is an annoying jerk I have come to really like the AFL 360 format (Roos being on never hurts either) and I find it more watchable than most of the other shows.

Throw Daniher into that mix as well. I still miss the Reverend from time to time, outside of the ups and downs he was terrific for the playing group. He left at the right time but he was fantastic.

I too was a big fan of the Rev.

Miss the good old times.

I loved the Rev but can't remember a team in recent memory or even looking over history that was so inconsistent.

1998 - 4th

1999 - 14th (!)

2000 - 2nd

2001 - 11th

2002 - 6th

2003 - 14th (!)

2004 - 5th

2005 - 7th

2006 - 7th

2007 - Started 0-7, resigned at 2-9.

Was it a product of the team, the club, the Rev, or all? Did he tank in those years?

The fall from grace, then the comeback.

As with now, the Daniher years lacked player depth, and it hurt us when we went 3 or 4 deep with injuries.

A lot of our best players in that period were drafted by Balme and Northy. Those drafted by Daniher led us to one of the club's worst ever periods.

It's easily one of the most gutless and sickening bumps I've seen.

Troy Simmonds can't remember the day.

I can show you a highlight reel of Byron Pickett's hits that are up there.

Balls Grinter, Matthews, Lloyd to name a few who also lined up players from a distance.

It was a sickening bump but elevated on this site because it was to one of our own on Grand Final day.

I loved Neita and I loved that era of football. A big fan of the Rev as well. I bawled like a baby that night after his last game. I know it was time for him to move on but I was very upset at the same time.

I would love to have Neita down on the forward line today. Imagine having a forward in the red and blue who regularly kicked 7 - 8 goals.

I still dislike Essendon with a passion and always will.

I can show you a highlight reel of Byron Pickett's hits that are up there.

Balls Grinter, Matthews, Lloyd to name a few who also lined up players from a distance.

It was a sickening bump but elevated on this site because it was to one of our own on Grand Final day.

It was just a gutless bump, no matter the situation.

It was just a gutless bump, no matter the situation.

hmm - on another thread posted today - a bump that most applaud on here - Whelan taking out Hird - so many on here applaud that bump - whats your take on it ?

hmm - on another thread posted today - a bump that most applaud on here - Whelan taking out Hird - so many on here applaud that bump - whats your take on it ?

Hird was caught fair and square, possibly even by today's rule interpretation : Simmonds was head down over the ball. Very different.

EDIT: Interestingly the incident just appeared on the Bombers charged thread #5828 - Wheels would be gone for 4 weeks now days (2 or less if wearing black & white)

Edited by monoccular