Changes vs Western Bulldogs

What

We need to replace like for like.

I know we don't want to just give players games, but sometimes necessity forces your hand.

I'd bring in Evan and Michie to replace Cross & McKenzie so we don't lose out on contested ball winners. Evans can play a run with role.

If you want to bring Blease in, it has to be at the expense of someone like Salem. Unless Riley gets a tagging role and you bring Blease in instead of Evans.

I'm not really sure how Terlich replaces either Cross or McKenzie.

We need to replace like for like.

I know we don't want to just give players games, but sometimes necessity forces your hand.

I'd bring in Evan and Michie to replace Cross & McKenzie so we don't lose out on contested ball winners. Evans can play a run with role.

If you want to bring Blease in, it has to be at the expense of someone like Salem. Unless Riley gets a tagging role and you bring Blease in instead of Evans.

I'm not really sure how Terlich replaces either Cross or McKenzie.

I suspect Terlich goes to the backline and Grimes replaces Cross.

Alternatively, and I think a lot less likely, Terlich goes to the backline, Howe to the forward line and Bail replaces Cross.

There's the ol' demonland special.

'Injury interrupted pre-season'

I'd love to know how that has anything to do with footy smarts, decision making and kicking skills.

Not saying he should be dropped, but can we please refrain from those sorts of comments..

Garland is part of a worryingly long list of players who have questionable kicking skills and decision making skills.

You are kidding yourself more than me with this.

This is a professional sport and a game of inches - if you are behind in any facet of the game it will show in every facet.

You are the one who says the lack of skills is the reason we struggle as a team and as individuals - well, fitness is also a massive part of the professional footballer.

Looking at every 'reason' you don't agree with and calling it an 'excuse' is another Ol' Demonland Special...

• Like 2

I havent seen a VFL game - I just read the reports - my only question on Barry - does he touch the footy enough - it doesnt seem so to me in the VFL from what I have read,

I share your reservation nutbean, but we have to make at least two changes, and based on last weekend's form, Dom seems closest to 'knocking the door down' for a senior gig, Also, he has been playing a negating role recently, so it can be argued that to some extent he is 'like for like' with either Cross or Mckenzie. Some interesting decisions to be made around the selection table this week, and they might give some insight into current thinking on list management decisions to be made later this year.

• Like 1

This is a professional sport and a game of inches - if you are behind in any facet of the game it will show in every facet.

You are the one who says the lack of skills is the reason we struggle as a team and as individuals - well, fitness is also a massive part of the professional footballer.

Looking at every 'reason' you don't agree with and calling it an 'excuse' is another Ol' Demonland Special...

It's not rocket Science.

Given a really good fitness base means you can run out games better, sustain pace for longer, and when you are fitter your skills don't suffer as much as when you are dog tired.

Edit - how many times have you heard footballers respond when asked for the reason for their improvement they respond with a " a really good preseason"

Edited by nutbean

would be great if Dom Barry got selected

Literally nobody saw that coming

Mark Neeld??

I share your reservation nutbean, but we have to make at least two changes, and based on last weekend's form, Dom seems closest to 'knocking the door down' for a senior gig, Also, he has been playing a negating role recently, so it can be argued that to some extent he is 'like for like' with either Cross or Mckenzie. Some interesting decisions to be made around the selection table this week, and they might give some insight into current thinking on list management decisions to be made later this year.

I seriously have zero idea about him as I have never actually seen him play so it will be interesting indeed.

• Like 1

This year we've seen a real consistency in the team line-up. Yeh, Roos has tried new things (Frawley forward, Howe back) but he's stuck to it. Also I don't remember seeing so many "unchanged line-ups" in one season at this club. Though I could be wrong... Maybe it just feels like a lot...

Anyway, I'd be happy to see them throw up a couple more surprises and experiment a little a bit. NOT Paul Johnson at full back experiment, but a few things we haven't really seen this year or at all. I mean we ain't playing finals so now's the time to start looking for things that can be taken into next year. I like the idea of Dom Barry coming in to play a 'run with' role, but that kinda goes against the whole 'banging down the door' mantra we've got going. But then again, who is banging down the door at Casey? Yep I've now changed my mind mid post. I'm with Jaded - like for like.

out: cross, mckenzie, riley, salem

in: terlich, blease, michie (sub), evans

riley and salem barely had a handfull of touches between them and not for the first time

let them go back to casey, rebuild there form for 2-3weeks and kill it upon there return

would be great if Dom Barry got selected

Literally nobody saw that coming

I don't think anybody saw him - full stop.

I've watched the replay and he's in the corner of the screen a couple of times - a bit like Where's Wally.

He came over to lay a tackle on Iles once in the forward pocket and gave away a free kick.

He only laid two tackles for game you will have to ask the Wizard how he stopped Iles.

I don't think anybody saw him - full stop.

I've watched the replay and he's in the corner of the screen a couple of times - a bit like Where's Wally.

He came over to lay a tackle on Iles once in the forward pocket and gave away a free kick.

He only laid two tackles for game you will have to ask the Wizard how he stopped Iles.

I didn't see the game or the TV. But I guess a good negator may do a lot of his best work out of sight of the TV cameras. Brett Alison seemed happier with Dom than with most of the other 'contenders'. Played his role, which would please Roos. No idea if he is ready for AFL though - trust in Roos !

"Dom Barry: Dom played wing and had eight possessions. He had a negating run-with role on Sam Iles, who has been averaging around 30 possessions per week. Dom did a very, very good job. He was disciplined, stuck to his task and tried to run both ways. Dom also kept his opponent to little to no impact on the day. It was a good effort."

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

In: Michie, Blease, JKH

Out: Salem, Cross, Mckenzie

I think that JKH and Salem should be interchangeable for this year or they should be atleast swapped this round.

I'd bring Blease in for a chance and obviously Michie would be a good replacement for Cross.

Viv knows both Wallis and Libba really well. He was their captain in the private school rep team. Don't know where the query over his defensive game comes from because he was totally defensive in the 1st Qtr against Box Hill. I don't reckon he got a possession in the first qtr but ended up with 30 , 5 tackles etc and should have got a goal but for a rabbit umpire calling his shot on goal a point. ABC replayed it and showed it was not touched. Really don't know what game Allison was at but all pundits have said Viv was BOG.

• Like 3

Well if fitness was an issue, I have no doubt Roos would still be playing him in the twos or he would have been a sub no?

He's playing deep in the backline. He's played his third or fourth game now I'm pretty sure.

I don't want to hear that rubbish RP. Basic decision making and kicking skills are not a result of lack of fitness.

Maybe if he was an onballer and he was making noticeable errors in the last quarter but thats not the case.

I rate parts of Garland's game, but again, we have TOO many players who display the same weaknesses.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

Basic decision making and kicking skills are not a result of lack of fitness.

Both decision making and skills can deteriorate as you tire. Google the relationship between motor skills and physical fitness - a plethora of research on it.

• Like 1

After reading the VFL player review and what Roo's said I think it will be Terlich and Nicho in

That should help our skills and decision making

Edited by hogans_heroes

Well if fitness was an issue, I have no doubt Roos would still be playing him in the twos or he would have been a sub no?

He's playing deep in the backline. He's played his third or fourth game now I'm pretty sure.

I don't want to hear that rubbish RP. Basic decision making and kicking skills are not a result of lack of fitness.

Maybe if he was an onballer and he was making noticeable errors in the last quarter but thats not the case.

I rate parts of Garland's game, but again, we have TOO many players who display the same weaknesses.

Yes they are.

Why do players practice? What about if you miss it for a few months?

What happens late in games to one's skills?

I cannot believe that you, the self appointed king of Rational Demonland is going to sit there and say that missing part of the Pre-season (and the season) through injury would not affect a players skill execution...

We all get frustrated by the plethora of excuses but sometimes there are 'reasons' for things and it is best to attempt to determine which is which if you want to make good decisions about player retention, etc.

• Like 1

If it's not fitness then what is it? Last year he was our best player after Jones, this year he's looked barely par. It looks to big a deviation to me which needs some explanation.

• Like 2

If it's not fitness then what is it? Last year he was our best player after Jones, this year he's looked barely par. It looks to big a deviation to me which needs some explanation.

Confidence and adjustment to game plan.

Last year Garland had to be everywhere and was. This year he has to stick with an opponent and play it safe. It will come for him with more fitness.

With Terlich back in as the 7th defender I wouldn't be against throwing Garland forward in the second half or just plain swapping him with Frawley.

But he hasn't been horrendous. The rate at which we've conceded inside 50's means at times defenders are still going to be caught out. And the lack of run through the middle and confidence with the forwards is hurting all their kicking. Plus we need defenders who run with the ball then kick.

• Like 1

The fact that we, myself included, are lamenting the fact that Cross is out for a month shows how far we still have to go as a football cub.

Cross has been nothing short of fantastic this year. His defensive efforts and work rate are second to none. The fact remains however that we are reliant on too few and our depth includes players that will not be on the list long term.

I look forward to the day when we have a group of young, highly rated and deserving players occupying position 23-30 on our list, with the remaining spots filled by project and depth players.

I am very much of the school of thought, unlike previous years, of having full faith in the coaching staff and their decision making come selection time. Based on the trend of the year I see there being minimal changes this week.

Terlich will play as flagged by Roos and the other inclusion will be the player that the coaching staff best believe can fill the role required. Yes this may include players that we here consider 'not up to AFL standard', however we must trust, that strange as it seems, the selection committee know more about what's required than us.

Whoever makes the final 22 has a real opportunity. With a depleted Dogs outfit we can exact revenge for the poor showing earlier in the year. Dees by 15.

• Like 1