Tom McDonald?

DeeSpencer

Which bloody game were you watching and if he is here for ONE more year we are on the wrong track...!!!

Tell me a game where his opponent had best him heavily this year. In 10 games he has probably only been really beaten once and that was against WC. I don't know what you have been watching all year if you dont agree?

What point in the post that you questioned did you disagree with?

I nearly can not think of a 21 year old defender who is better, Talia and May is probably it, frost is much less proven

I distinctly remember the same things almost to the word (some worse) being said about one James Frawley when he was 21.

Imagine if we delisted Frawley as a lot were suggesting and then he went on to be an AA full back at another team.....

The ball streaming into the Kangas forward line was, at times, shades of 2012,2013.....

To look at it another way - take McDonald out of the team for the whole of this season and ask how we would be travelling at this stage?

Much better.!!!!..and don't get me started on Frawley... If he is worth $800,000.00 then Vince, Dunn N. Jones etc would be worth 2 million !! Where does Frawley show anything more outstanding than anyone else in the team..He is grossly over rated...He will never be a match winner as would be any player touted as worth 800 grand..Give me a break ! I for one could not give two hoots if he goes. next week would be not soon enough... Why does he seem to have so much bargaining power ?? " wait till the end of the season" What rubbish ...Good bye I say and if we can get something for him then GO for it !! Sorry but I have had enough of this type of player... New Blood please !!

I distinctly remember the same things almost to the word (some worse) being said about one James Frawley when he was 21.

Imagine if we delisted Frawley as a lot were suggesting and then he went on to be an AA full back at another team.....

The ball streaming into the Kangas forward line was, at times, shades of 2012,2013.....

To look at it another way - take McDonald out of the team for the whole of this season and ask how we would be travelling at this stage?

Much better.!!!!..and don't get me started on Frawley... If he is worth $800,000.00 then Vince, Dunn N. Jones etc would be worth 2 million !! Where does Frawley show anything more outstanding than anyone else in the team..He is grossly over rated...He will never be a match winner as would be any player touted as worth 800 grand..Give me a break ! I for one could not give two hoots if he goes. next week would be not soon enough... Why does he seem to have so much bargaining power ?? " wait till the end of the season" What rubbish ...Good bye I say and if we can get something for him then GO for it !! Sorry but I have had enough of this type of player... New Blood please !!

Exactly, how quickly people turn. The coaches aren't stupid, there will be more changes made come seasons end but McDonald won't be one of them.

McDonald SHOULD be one of them..

Tell me a game where his opponent had best him heavily this year. In 10 games he has probably only been really beaten once and that was against WC. I don't know what you have been watching all year if you dont agree?

I nearly can not think of a 21 year old defender who is better, Talia and May is probably it, frost is much less proven

His kicking, turnovers and lack of pace are a liability... Stop trying to retain these types of players..

100% not fully fit.

Also 100% one of best young defenders in the league.

IF not fully fit then rest him. Have another look at Georgiou, who was going pretty well until "friendly fire" from JV KOd him.

I am more concerned by some of his decision making. He has a huge tank and puts in every time....hope it can improve. I am worried about him, though not like you, over him.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

His kicking, turnovers and lack of pace are a liability... Stop trying to retain these types of players..

You are one of those sink the boot in due to a game that wasn't great kinda people.

Viney, lacks pace and disposal is questionable at times.

Cross lacks pace and disposal is questionable at times.

On the weekend Dunn kicked the poorest he has all year

Jeremy Howe made 5-6 defensive and offensive blunders.

Tom McDonald whilst he can make errors on disposal and judgement, defensively is a key player to our team. You just don't get rid of your starting centre half back who can sometimes make mistakes when he doesn't get goals kicked on him. The problem is that players don't get near him for him to hand pass to, due to his elite running and ability to find space

so he shanks a few.

you've just redfined the meaning of ...FEW !!! :wacko:

Who cares about which 21 year old defender is better or worse I care only where this club is going and if he is the best going forward then we are staying where we are..sadly... Not up to it !! Simple ..

Who cares about which 21 year old defender is better or worse I care only where this club is going and if he is the best going forward then we are staying where we are..sadly... Not up to it !! Simple ..

You are one of those sink the boot in due to a game that wasn't great kinda people.

Viney, lacks pace and disposal is questionable at times.

Cross lacks pace and disposal is questionable at times.

On the weekend Dunn kicked the poorest he has all year

Jeremy Howe made 5-6 defensive and offensive blunders.

Tom McDonald whilst he can make errors on disposal and judgement, defensively is a key player to our team. You just don't get rid of your starting centre half back who can sometimes make mistakes when he doesn't get goals kicked on him. The problem is that players don't get near him for him to hand pass to, due to his elite running and ability to find space

No I am not !!! I have been watching the Dees for over forty years and I am saying what I believe and you do not have to agree with me as is your right but (in my opinion) McDonald will not carry us forward to the top eight , let alone a Premiership.. "elite running and ability to find space" Give me a break !!!

• Like 1

I am concerned that some aspects of his game have not improved, especially decision making and disposal.

Not yet at wrist slashing point but hoping he can pick this up like a good player would.

Whilst he may not be going anywhere in a hurry ( in a number of respects) Id certainly be looking for an under-loved no nonsense rebounding defender who CAN kick come seasons end

It always gives me a good laugh when people want to axe players clearly in the best 22.

I don't have a problem with us drafting another promising key defender and developing him, and if he pushes McDonald out of the team, then so be it. The problem is that guy isn't on the list yet, so it's at least 30 games away from happening, and that's if we draft one straight away and he develops quickly.

So strap in an enjoy the ride cobba, because barring injury, I reckon McDonald will make it to 100 games in a canter before his position is even remotely at risk.

• Like 3

Hawthorn back Shoenmakers when he was pretty bad in his first two seasons......I reckon we can back Macca who will improve as time goes on......He has only played 50 odd games in a side that couldn't win a solo race this time last year

People want champions NOW .....I reckon we will give him time.....He has improved from last year and the footy dept will agree

The kid is 21 and has played just over 50 games. Give him a break! He's been a key player in every one of our wins this year. His ability to beat one of the opposition's key forwards is integral to the team's ability to win a match of footy.

He takes KPP and normally does quite well. That said what is it with Melbourne recruiting and developing such poor kicks in the backline?

In the 00s we had Nicholson, Ferguson, Bell.

Now we have McDonald, Grimes, and Garland has the occasional brain fart.

I miss Anthony Ingerson.

Edited by Cudi_420
  • Like 1

In case you haven't notice Petrie is on his last legs. He's pretty much done and hasn't played well all season.

If there's one thing we can be sure of, it is that a North Melbourne tall forward on his last legs will have a final hurrah against the Demons.

It's as frustrating as Daniel Bradshaw or Peter Matera record against

Meanwhile, Tom McDonald by the numbers on sunday -

18 disposals at 77% efficiency, with 3 clangers. Also, ten 1%ers.

If I recall right, McDonald has been not just our leader for 1%ers all season, but has been the leader in 1%ers in every individual game.

The kid goes alright. Definitely has flaws. Got beaten by someone taller, more experienced, and better supported.

• Like 5

He's already a very good player and an excellent prospect to develop into a top defender.

He is driven to improve, wants to play on the best opposition forwards and after playing for Melbourne through three of our worst years ever, was not broken by the experience. He has courage and an iron will.

Tom McDonald would be picked up by every team in the league if we discarded him. In fact, he'd make the current back six of practically every team in the league.

21 years old.

GUN.

• Like 3

And he cant kick for quids.

Often when he does it instigates a turnover or puts some poor barstard under un-needed pressure.

Good sides have players who at those moments in the game do something constructive.

Alas this isnt T Mac forte.

Listen to Roos...turnovers kill you

It's a good day at the MFC when Tom McDonald is our biggest problem.

far from our biggest Jaded, a problem none the less

far from our biggest Jaded, a problem none the less

No he isn't.

He's a 21 year old key defender who has done an amazing job every week, in one of the most under seiged backlines going around, who takes on and beats the best defender every single week, and who creates countless attacks the other way.

Yes his kicking isn't the best, but he is an A grade defender, which is his primary role!

And as I said before, anyone who goes every single week like I do, will note that he is clearly struggling with that corked thigh he got earlier this year. He gets work done at every break, and his running is completely compromised. Not to mention he's getting rested a lot more during games than he was before.

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 5

I dont know how else to describe it, but to me McDonald seems to have these "zone out" moments when he is running with the ball in hand.

Obvious handball and kicking options are available for for whatever he misses them and just runs at half pace directly towards an opponent.

He doesn't even seem to be aware of the opponent until he is being tacked by him.

Sometimes I wonder if he is actually awake.

No he isn't.

He's a 21 year old key defender who has done an amazing job every week, in one of the most under seiged backlines going around, who takes on and beats the best defender every single week, and who creates countless attacks the other way.

Yes his kicking isn't the best, but he is an A grade defender, which is his primary role!

And as I said before, anyone who goes every single week like I do, will note that he is clearly struggling with that corked thigh he got earlier this year. He gets work done at every break, and his running is completely compromised. Not to mention he's getting rested a lot more during games than he was before.

so he can kick ?

its a simple question Jaded... its a fundamental of our game

If only this could all be attributed to a corked thigh.

He's always been a horrible kick and at this level, it's a problem. Poor kicking was a significant factor in why we were humiliated yesterday and continue to be a bottom four side.

• Like 1